World Latin FInalists

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by GJB, Sep 2, 2013.

1. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

Anyone know why Michael and Joanna didn't dance (Embassy 2013) ?
  2. Michael and Joanna didn't dance and Sergey and Melia didn't dance either
  3. I think it very easy to see why they wouldn't dance...(if it's apparent the result is prefabricated, why put yourself out there in event where your not going to get an honest result)
  4. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

Oh Mambo...dear...
  5. jiwinco

jiwinco Member

This is't very nice. From my perspective, watching it live, the results were fair. M&J might have won, but don't know why they wouldn't come to WDC world championships.
  6. caw

caw Active Member

I think your speculation is one that I can see being very possible, but then they need not dance at any other competition where riccardo and yulia will be, beyond blackpool, for the rest of their careers. If that's not the case, then why skip this comp and still attend others?
    jiwinco and theAnnelis like this.
  7. ajiboyet

And Sergey and Melia?

Oh BTW jwinco (or anyone else who knows) what's the size of the audience at Embassy?
  8. It doesn't necessarily mean that...the fact that they wouldn't dance an event like this, doesn't mean that they won't dance other events against Riccardo and Yulia, this event is set up so that Riccardo and Yulia have already won before they have even danced, so I can see why M&J would say what's the point? However, it doesn't mean that they won't dance UK Open, International, and obviously Blackpool, where they might not win (they won UK Open, R&Y won International), but where they might have an even shot, where here they obviously wouldn't have any shot.....other big events are in England, M&J dance for England, they have their supporters there and base of support there...at the World Championships in Irvine it's the Burns, Riccardo, and Yulia show, it basically like giving yourself your own award (IMO!)
  9. I believe a certain Sergey and Melia fan also made the trip for this, so I can't think they are happy about that either
  10. Michael and Joanna are the reigning Blackpool champions, so they obviously want to compete there, and they would as I said have a good chance at the UK events, but I wonder if under some scenario eventually, maybe they go WDSF like Mirko and Edita
  11. caw

caw Active Member

I don't think the World Championships are set up for them to win, actually. They are required to have a of judges from different countries, and if judges really made up their minds first, then Riccardo and Yulia would never have supplanted Michael and Joanna in the first place.

If you ask me about the UK Open and Blackpool, I'd say English judges are more conservative, old fashioned and discriminate against innovation (as has been traditionally the case in England, hence the divergence between standard and smooth). It appears more that the judges have their minds made up in the cases where michael and joanna win than when they lose.
    TinyDancer109 and jiwinco like this.
  12. chrisjohnston

chrisjohnston Well-Known Member

There were a lot of Brits at Embassy so the above theory is very interesting.

Cheers chris
    ajiboyet likes this.
  13. Becca

Becca Active Member

Apologies if I'm jumping to conclusions here, but I can't help but think you are attempting to refer to me with this statement?

If this is the case, then you believe wrong. I did not make any trip, and I did not attend Embassy. In actual fact, I was asleep in my bed in my cosy little home in England throughout the entirety of this competition - so there is nothing for me not to be happy about!
  14. Becca

Becca Active Member

Just worth noting, the UK Open judging panel is made up of international judges. As far as I know, Blackpool is the only competition with an entirely English panel.
  15. Becca

Becca Active Member

I actually can't believe I'm saying this, but for the first time ever, I completely agree with you on something!

If you look at the judging panel, there were at least four judges (and this just from my hazy memory, so potentially more) who are well known to . . . how is the best way to say it . . . find Michael and Joanna very highly unfavourable? So why suffer the public humiliation of ending up being placed 6th by four judges, maybe more? Not worth it for them. They knew what the outcome would be already, so dancing it would have been a waste of their time.

If they didn't dance here, I don't see them dancing at the Worlds in Paris next year! That would be even worse for them!

And just for the record, I'm completely neutral on the two couples, Michael and Joanna / Riccardo and Yulia as I favour neither of them.
  16. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Pro Latin World Championships is a bit out of reach of USA Dance...
    danceronice and Bailamosdance like this.
  17. ajiboyet

Carmen judged Blackpool this year (or was it last year?). I may be wrong, but I really don't think she's British.
  18. Sorry, but weren't you scheduled to attend?
  19. Any thoughts on why S&M didn't dance either?
  20. Becca

Becca Active Member

The panel in the past has always been British judges only.

In recent years, it has been the same, but with one International judge also included on the panel.

For example, Jukka Haapalainen, Bryan Watson, and as you said, Carmen.