World Latin FInalists

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by GJB, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Becca

Becca Active Member

I was initially planning on attending in the very beginning when the tickets first became available - in order for me to secure front row before the seats all sold out, I didn't really have much of a choice other than to make a booking immediately. I think I made that post back in February or March or something. However, time went on, I decided I wouldn't be attending after all, I then very publicly sold the ticket I had bought on this forum, pulled out of my joint hotel booking which I then left for the other person to use as their own single booking, and applied for a refund on my flight.

So any idea I had ever had about attending was a good while ago, and that had not been my plan for many months.

2. caw

caw Active Member

Why does anyone who is well known and not in first place bother to dance then? If you're known, the judges know you. If you believe judges make up their mind before judging, you know which judges will favour you and you know who will win - so if you're not gonna win then just retire.

If, on the other hand, you dance because you enjoy competing and you actually believe you can improve strongly enough that you can change the judges mind, then maybe competing isn't such a bad idea.

But seriously? "I'm not gonna dance because this judge didn't mark me well last time, so I'll just keep accepting my award in blackpool where I know i can get a trophy and pretend the rest of the competitions in the world where R&Y attend don't exist so i can still be champion." That doesn't sound logical, and I am not sure I want to believe that Michael and Joanna think like that, without them admitting so first. That wouldn't be a fair assumption.

TinyDancer109, jiwinco and dlliba10 like this.
  3. Becca

Becca Active Member

I think you answered this question below.

I agree - that definitely isn't logical, and you also shouldn't believe that they think like that, as it is clearly not the case since as a fact, they do dance more than only Blackpool. UK, International for example, they dance every year without fail. I think what you have written attempts to simplify the situation to something less than what it actually is. It isn't just about being champion. It is about having a fair chance, as you said before, to be able to change a judge's mind, for your improvement and your dancing to speak for itself. And in this competition, they didn't have that chance, and never would have had. So pointless competing. Maybe speak to Michael and Joanna after a competition to understand their feelings, if you think it will help you to decide what you should believe. I happened to be stood there with them and their families after the 2013 Worlds in Innsbruck, and I am pretty sure I know how they felt there in that moment. So that is why I am not surprised one bit about their decision not to dance.

4. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

"If it's politics when you lose, it's politics when you win" - I don't have a source but I think I've seen that quote attributed to Bob Powers.

theAnnelis and mindputtee like this.
  5. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Not sure of the exact wording, but yes, Bob wrote a comment to this effect in Dance Beat several years back. I'm always amazed by people who delude themselves into thinking that its only political when it doesn't favor them and simply "fair" when it works out in their favor. :rolleyes:

6. middy

middy Well-Known Member

Self-serving bias/attributions! Everyone does it :) When things go right, we tend to take personal credit, but when things go wrong for us, it's easier to blame the situation.

7. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

Hmnnn.
    Michael and Joanna were world champions before Riccardo and Yulia. If I were to think along the lines of some of the people here, then I would wonder what Riccardo and Yulia had to do to turn the judges in their favour.
    I shudder to think...

8. ajiboyet

I definitely concur.
    The fact that I think I was robbed doesn't actually mean I was robbed.

9. Becca

Becca Active Member

Improve enormously within their dancing? Develop and strengthen together since the birth of their partnership? Find themselves a clearer identity than what they had in the very beginning? Become a greater force to be reckoned with? Establish themselves very firmly at the heart of the WDC, dancing at all of their competitions, or at least a large majority of them (even Autumn Star this year, so I hear) which obviously reflects well on them across the entire organisation? Taking lessons with or forming other very positive connections with a large network of knowledgable and greatly influential people?

It's very clear to see that they have strong affiliations with a large number of key figures, for one reason or another, all of them having very strong influence and so many of them also having judged a recent World Championship. Maybe this is just councidence, I don't know. So nothing terrible, as far as I see it. Just been popular and favoured and liked by an awful lot of people who tend to judge the Worlds, who don't judge so regularly / don't judge at all at Blackpool, UK, International. Nyhagen, Hansen, Salberg, Burns, Fanni, Abrate, Toft, Tornsberg, Carmen, Saccani, Ryupin, Pletnev, Vlokh, Breuer, Barsi, Lecca, Hojo, these just being the ones I am very aware of who have been on recent panels for Worlds, many of these guys rarely judge anywhere else other than pure WDC competitions, Worlds / Assen / Paris. I also think your main coach being the WDC president must help to some degree, Burns obviously must have say in most WDC matters and naturally he will wish to help his couple wherever he can.

I can see why Riccardo and Yulia are so widely liked, since they are overall not very controversial or offensive in any aspect, genuinely nice guys, I would say that they are quite well known for dancing and supporting a lot of prominent events too, good publicity, whereas Michael particularly is very outspoken and I think sometimes expresses quite controversial views, some of the things that he has said and some of the behaviours he has demonstrated within the public domain I can quite easily understand why people would find highly unfavourable and take offense at. Sometimes I don't really know how to take him, if that makes sense? What he said during the interview after UK just gone, his behaviour after Worlds 2011, little bit controversial and could be interpreted to give a negative impression, these of course are just the things that I have seen and that I can remember at almost 3am. Who knows what happens behind the scenes.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that the level of dancing right at the top is so very close, and is always going to be largely subjective - and what makes a judge like or favour one couple over another can be any number of a wide variety of factors. After all, everybody reading this probably has their own opinion, whether it is right or wrong, of which is the better couple of the two. All preference, based on . . . ? You tell me.

SDsalsaguy likes this.
  10. ajiboyet

*now treading very lightly*

11. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

charge ndca prices for starters

12. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

that may be a good idea. Quality has a price.

13. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

you have to remember people will pay to see yulia and riccardo

you and I um err notsomuch

14. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

it was mentioned that the nationals needed more competitors, more audience, and it lost money.

15. ajiboyet

Just checked scrutelle.
    This year's professional Latin had Carmen, Nicola Nordin(?), Michael Stylianos and Augusto Schiavo.

16. Becca

Becca Active Member

So two international judges instead of one - Nicola Nordin and Michael Stylianos are both English, so just Carmen and Augusto who aren't. So I was wrong by one - usually when I'm at Blackpool I'm far more preoccupied with what's happening on the floor than staring at who is standing around the side, so I tend not to pay all too much attention to the judges - I guess I can be forgiven for that.

Even so, I guess that just makes the point raised by the poster who stated that Blackpool and UK Open judges were all English and therefore biased towards Michael and Joanna even more invalid, then!

If you look back over the last few years, there have only been one or two international judges at Blackpool, and previous to that, absolutely none at all. I just remember that it wasn't so long back that the entire panel was always English only, but I've been to so many Blackpools by now that it would be impossible to remember all of the judges year on year.

17. ajiboyet

For the record, I'm not taking any sides on this thread. I think I've been grossly misunderstood. #justSaying :)

18. rydancefan

rydancefan New Member

Found this on Dancesport-ru: why sergey & melia and michael & joanna didn't attend the world championships

"Worth noting that on this day did not come to the floor two significant pairs: Sergey Surkov - Melia and Michal Malitovski - Joanna Leunis. To our knowledge, Sergey and Melia now took a creative break before the European Championships to be held in December, and Michael and Joanna focused on preparing for the International Championships, which will be held in London in October of this year."

19. rydancefan

rydancefan New Member

I asked someone from Cortex Media Services, the official media coordinator for embassy ball, about where we could watch the video of the finals and they said the footage from the WDC World latin championships will be airing on television at a later date. Does anyone know what channel it will appear on? and when?

20. Casey

Casey Member