World Latin FInalists

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by GJB, Sep 2, 2013.

1. caw

caw Active Member

That sounds like a politician's answer
    TinyDancer109 likes this.
  2. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

IMO.... M&J not showing reeks of fear to me...
  3. Becca

Becca Active Member

Fear? Of what? Of losing?

I don't think it was fear of losing, it was certainty of losing.
  4. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

I have to agree with Becca on this. They knew they'd lose no matter how they danced, so why invest the time, effort, and resources? Would I prefer it if they'd competed? Sure. Personally I prefer R&Y (or, to be more specific, Y), but I think that at the level of competition we are talking it is unfair to disparage M&J for the choice they made. If it was an event where the result really wasn't a foregone conclusion, I believe they would have been there, risk of losing or not.
  5. caw

caw Active Member

They know when they are going to lose.
    They know when they are going to win.
    Why compete then?
    jiwinco, TinyDancer109 and dlliba10 like this.
  6. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

"Certainly the game is rigged. Don't let that stop you; if you don't bet, you can't win."

(Easy for me to say.)
  7. Becca

Becca Active Member

They know when they are going to lose? I don't think they knew that last year at the International!

They know when they are going to win? I don't think so - I don't think anybody does! I think it is completely open at every competition between the top two couples, a completely even chance - apart from the Worlds!

Why bother competing? To try to win! When they have any chance at all of doing so!
  8. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

Internationals is sure going to be interesting.

As I wrote that, I remembered thinking "Worlds is sure going to be interesting" after all the things that happened at Blackpool. Well it turned out to be interesting, but not for the reasons I had hoped.

I don't even know what to expect. I'll just keep my fingers crossed.

Oh BTW, on a happier note, I'm extremely happy for Maurizio Vescovo and Andra. I'm sure the man has just been having the time of his life over the past few months.
    TinyDancer109 likes this.
  9. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

welcome to competitive ballroom dancing

and the answer is ... for the thrill of it like any other sport
  10. Mr 4 styles

in latin now maybe.. everything else um notsomuch
  11. caw

caw Active Member

That's my point. And if you're really doing it for the thrill of it, you don't skip all competitions you might not win.
    theAnnelis likes this.
  12. Mr 4 styles

totally agree!!!
  13. rydancefan

rydancefan New Member

I'll add, on an even happier note.... I was happy for Evgeni and Polina making 5th place! And what are everyone's thoughts on Natalia and Manuel? I saw them dancing at Freedom to Dance alongside M&J, which was featured on DSI awhile ago.
  14. Becca

Becca Active Member

There's might not win (UK, International, Blackpool) and then there's going to get completely trashed because half the panel of judges absolutely can't stand you and as a result, won't even look at your dancing and give you a fair mark, just head straight for as low as they feel they can justify (Worlds) . . . they knew they weren't going to be welcome there, and that's got to be massively uncomfortable.
  15. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Well...why is it that "half the panel of judges absolutely can't stand" them?
  16. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

Is that the same reason Sergey and Melia didnt show?
  17. Becca

Becca Active Member

Haven't asked them, so I couldn't say!
  18. Becca

Becca Active Member

rydancefan posted the reason why Sergey and Melia didn't dance earlier on within this thread - I think on page 4 - they're taking a creative break and not dancing any competitions at all now until December. Not Worlds, not anything.

Three of the four judges who I mention actually favour Sergey and Melia, and in particular one of them is one of their main coaches.
  19. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

Thanks for asking that. I wondered if perhaps Sergey and Melia also felt that they should have clinched a world title by now.

*turns sarcasm switch off*
  20. Becca

Becca Active Member

Dead funny.

It's got nothing to do with the title, it is about being allowed a fair chance.

No point in continuing to repeat myself, so I'm going to leave it there - it seems nobody here has the ability to understand what I'm trying to say and as a result, my words keep getting twisted differently by every single person who posts on here to try to make it sound like I'm saying something else.