World Latin FInalists

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by GJB, Sep 2, 2013.

1. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

IMO they may not.
    I think they still had (as at Blackpool) a bit of the Amateur thing about them. Neil had this move in their cha cha that I'm still trying to make myself believe he didn't take from Beyonce. They were probably too busy enjoying their post-wedding glow to go to Worlds.
    But then I imagine they're working hard and upping their game while the rest of us sit here and talk about them (LOL). They're an awesome couple. Apart from the top 6, 7 - 12 will also be a tough battle.

Did they stop?
  2. Becca

Becca Active Member

I honestly don't know - I have to admit, they aren't a couple who I have ever really paid particular attention to. I think quite possibly it could happen, due to a wide range of factors, but really, who knows! Potentially, anything can happen! Unexpected things have happened before, and they will again! But personally I would prefer Emanuele and Elisa to take that open place within the final there.

I really don't know about Andrej and Melinda - in the here and the now, they just don't seem to be what the judges are looking for.
  3. Becca

Becca Active Member

Yes - Anna had a baby in July.

International is a slightly easier competition as there are 14 couples in the semi final - so that opens it up just that little bit more and makes it all to play for.
  4. ajiboyet

Too bad. I have a weakness for him. As well as Jurij.

Come to think of it, what's with me and Slovenians?
  5. ajiboyet

Awnnnnn...good for them!
  6. Becca

Becca Active Member

I agree, I really like Andrej.
  7. rydancefan

rydancefan New Member

Andrej always showcases his female partner well, and that's why I like him compared to other male dancers. I was watching the kremlin cup 2008 comp when he was dancing with elena and they were great together. Does anyone know why they broke up? or was it because she just retired after that?
  8. ajiboyet

Looking at a list of her partners, she danced with Sergey Ryupin for 11 full years. Then she danced with Slavik and Andrej for less than two years and four months respectively. She probably got to the place where she was done.

I have the video of the semi and final of Worlds 2008. Andrej and Elena were awesome there. Plus I think I like her outfit choices generally.
  9. Becca

Becca Active Member

I think the official word at the time was that being based in Slovenia wasn't working for her.
  10. Casey

Casey Member

Mine, too! The rumbas Maurizio & Andra danced at the UK Open in January, along with Victor & Anastasia’s first waltz, made my entire trip to Bournemouth worth it in terms of being in dance heaven.
    ajiboyet likes this.

11. This is absolutely absurd reasoning….One question why do you come to a conclusion that Riccardo and Yulia changed judges minds through their dancing and went from 2 to 1, you state as fact something when you include your own supposition as fact this is called begging the question, there are number of incorrect assumptions in your premise and conclusion
  12. rydancefan

rydancefan New Member

I agree with you about Neil and katya's cha cha at blackpool. I thought I was the only one that noticed that lol. They are training hard according to their instagram posts, they are even going to compete at Dutch Assen 2013. So I guess we'll see what is ahead for them and if they changed anything in their choreography.
  13. rydancefan

rydancefan New Member

I never thought about Michael and Joanna going to WDSF Professional Division. That would be interesting though but who knows. I was actually hoping Mirko and Edita would go back to WDC but that is unlikely now that they are winning events in WDSF.
  14. Casey

Casey Member

Mirko and Edita being at the GOC totally made the prof ballroom there a fantastic event. It wasn't too bad anyway, but now is stellar. Pro latin is still lame. But your comment made me look to see if the promised interview with Mirko had been published in the Japanese/Russian dance magazine The Best Dance Tribune. It has been --

http://bestdancetribune.com/
  15. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

IMHO, I actually think their style might be better suited for WDSF...
  16. Becca

Becca Active Member

I think they'd be more likely to quit altogether.
  17. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

18. ajiboyet

Hahahahahahahahaha!

In my opinion, Michael and Joanna are more physical than emotional. Especially when I compare them to R&Y. Or even Franco and Oxana, who could make me cry with their rumba if they wanted to. I usually don't feel much even when I watch videos like this: perfect setting, perfect music, perfect outfits...but still for me the emotion is missing.

But I don't think they're THAT far gone along the art-sport spectrum.
    middy likes this.
  19. middy

middy Well-Known Member

Agree. I love Joanna's freaking amazing spins but I think as a couple M & J are more athletic than...expressive, I guess? Just different interpretations of dance and depends on what you prefer.
    ajiboyet and rydancefan like this.
  20. Becca

Becca Active Member

Personally for me, although they technically cannot be faulted, I feel that many of the couples on the floor today largely lack emotion and artistry within their dancing. I feel an enormous, cold, gaping void. But that is only my point of view. I don't find too much difference between Michael and Joanna and Riccardo and Yulia in that respect. Both couples appear aggressively athletic to me. BUT that is evidently what the judges favour, and what is needed to get to the top! Maybe I'm just old fashioned and out of touch! But I remember back in the days when as a whole, dancing used to engage and inspire me emotionally - now not so much!
    rydancefan likes this.