World Latin FInalists

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by GJB, Sep 2, 2013.

1. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

I think THIS performance was dripping with emotion:

Or Riccardo & Yulia's Vincent. Or Max and Yulia's Angela (All WSSDF rumbas). Or even that Time After Time by Eugene and Maria.

But yes, they cannot be faulted technically. Like middy said, it depends on what you prefer. I personally believe that Joanna can do anything that springs to her mind whenever she's choreographing, including walking on thin air. And those spins...I'm torn between her and Tatiana Mollman though...LOL.
    stash likes this.
  2. Becca

Becca Active Member

In all honesty, I was really referring to Michael and Joanna and Riccardo and Yulia in what I said - I have never felt moved emotionally by either couple, not even in the slightest bit, no matter how skilful their technique is or how agile, fast and athletic they are. For me dancing is an art primarily, and a sport secondarily, so in my eyes this is possibly the most important aspect.

I also think Max and Yulia were completely different on the floor to Riccardo and Yulia in absolutely every respect.
  3. middy

middy Well-Known Member

Becca, who do you like as artists?
  4. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Couldn't agree more Becca.
  5. canismajor41

canismajor41 Active Member

This Y&R rumba was chocked full of emotion IMO. One of my favorites to watch.
    Sania likes this.
  6. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure Y&R changed their Rumba choreography and I think their current one they just danced in Orlando is more emotional than the one above!
  7. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

You want beautiful dancing chock full of emotion? Maurizio and Andra.
    stash likes this.
  8. Becca

Becca Active Member

I agree, they are great.
  9. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Active Member

My personal opinion is that r and y don't connect very well emotionally in their rumba (at least in comp routines...but they do a lot more in their showcases IMO). That being said, I think most people undervalue the emotional connection they have in dances like cha cha and jive where their playful side really comes out as a couple. There's more emotions in the world than just tears welling up in your eyes watching a contemporary lyrical type of dance, and I think r&y beautifully hit the light-hearted ones.

I also think there's more to dance artistry than just emotion! The way the top two couples play with shaping, changing between dance positions, musicality/rhythms, and presenting the basics in a new and fresh interpretation is what sets them apart from the other couples, in my opinion (think of the samba roll variation r&y almost always start with for an example of what I mean by "fresh" basics).
    JudeMorrigan and jiwinco like this.
  10. Becca

Becca Active Member

Oh I agree, of course there is so much more than just that! It's just that for me, that is what draws me in, captures me, changes me - so I value it very highly. I am more likely to remember a performance for how it made me feel than anything else.

Another thing that has great value for me is clear characterisation within the dances, of the male and female roles, of the story of Cha Cha, Samba, Rumba, Paso, Jive, I like it to have an authentic Latin American feeling. And again, I believe that some couples achieve this better than others.
  11. ajiboyet

Agreed. At the jive final at Blackpool last year Yulia did this thing where she was playing a trombone with the Empress Orchestra. I really liked it.

Ah, yes. Sergey and Andrej come to mind.
  12. middy

middy Well-Known Member

I'm obsessed with this one.
  13. I don't understand why dripping with emotion = good rumba, some of these rumbas are melodramatic, maudlin, over emotionalized....and the quality of the dancing is poor, so why is good to have an emotional rumba (in some cases people here seem to be reacting to the dramatic music more than anything)...when the quality of the movement is poor, the connection to floor is non-existence, and there is lack of understanding of the basic rumba movement and cuban motion?????? It's bewildering that people would point these out as what????? good rumbas, great rumbas, or just dramatic rumbas? because to me the first two choices don't apply to most these, so your calling them out because it's emotional and dramatic?
    danceronice likes this.
  14. one of Slavik's best rumbas on Italian Television (and believe it or not with Hanna)...

youtube [dot] com/watch?v=jZ6Xh0-ZyyM
  15. Becca

Becca Active Member

Nobody has stated that emotion alone equals a good Rumba - just that it is an essential component that creates a complete package in order for a Rumba to be looked upon as good or great. Without the authentic feeling of Rumba, for me it can't qualify as great, no matter how many other boxes can be ticked.

I agree with you however that the quality of emotion is a large factor too, whether it comes across as forced and fake or as real and natural.

I have to admit, I didn't actually watch any of the videos posted here, but I highly doubt that the quality of dancing from any of the couples displayed could be questioned as poor quality! Although, yes, I would imagine that the posters of each video were specifically looking for the most emotionally charged performances that they could find in order to demonstrate their point, so their selection criteria for posting each of these videos would be pretty much based around the dramatics. So in answer to your question - yes, that is why they have been called out.
  16. ajiboyet

Mambo, dear, please tell me: which couples do you like to watch?
  17. Casey

Casey Member

Well, MamboA might not want to point out the obvious, but he/she did post a stunning rumba by Hanna & Slavik as an example of good dancing and presumabably what he/she likes to watch --back when Bryan Allen was allowed to talk through the dances at Blackpool, he raved about her rumba walks, and they are still incredible at this point. Also, this is what I think Maurizio & Andra have right now in their rumba, complete simplicity and basic rumba moves.
  18. Sania

Sania Active Member

Hanna is amazing!

I also loved her costuming.
  19. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

Which is exactly why they would be suited for the PRO division of WDSF.
  20. ajiboyet

Hahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!