Worse for Ballroom Dancing -- Master P or Len?

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by Big10, Jan 23, 2006.

1. smooth_dancer

smooth_dancer New Member

I never thought the viewer votes were suppose to be based on dance ability. I seem to remember the MC just said, "If you enjoyed watching couple x dance and want to seem them back on the show next week, call this number". I'd consider calling in for Master P just to see a typical beginner perform on the show again!
  2. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Well, by the looks of it, you might have trouble getting through to his voter line!

Welcome aboard, smooth dancer!
  3. justdance

justdance New Member

You're right, smooth dancer, that's exactly how it's presented; "Vote for your favourite."

I love this show. I love the exposure it's giving to ballroom and latin dancing and I hope it continues for some time yet. I hope this style of dancing, as beautiful to watch as it feels to do, continues to gain popularity.

I also understand the frustration some dancers may feel watching the show in terms of the music selection, the results, etc. when you consider what training in ballroom and competing in competitions is all about, if you understand what I mean. I've experienced that journey and do understand. My father doesn't like to watch the show because he feels it doesn't represent the "real world" of dancing as we know it, and rightly so; it doesn't. Yet I just put all that aside and watch for the sheer enjoyment of the dancing itself. When all is said and done, to me any exposure to ballroom and latin is "good exposure", right?
  4. caityrosey

caityrosey New Member

I just hope that in 2 years or 5 years the people who watched the show will remember the dancing and not the other wacky show politics.
  5. smooth_dancer

smooth_dancer New Member

Yeah, the show doesn't represent the real world of competitive dancing, but it might be better! I once went to a college dance where they had dance contests that were judged mostly on audience applause. The results were certainly influenced by popularity, humor, and other factors besides dance ability, but the contests were much more exciting than ballroom competitions where the judges take a quick look and call out the placements. :)
  6. Big10

Big10 Member

Fair enough. If you know cornutt better than I do, then I'll take your word for his sincerity. If my response painted him with the wrong brush, then I'll apologize. Too bad cornutt won't see it. :mrgreen: I've just seen other "excuses" made for trashing Master P (similar to Kelly Monaco last season) that seemed illogical/inconsistent with how other competitors are viewed, and that bugs me for a variety of reasons.

Yeah, it seems to me that the vast majority of the time the host refers to each "couple" when voting, rather than just the "celebrity." That's why I think a lot of the votes are happening because of Ashly, as well as the entertainment value (however you choose to define that) of them as a "couple."
  7. justdance

justdance New Member

That sounds interesting, and yes, it could be better, I agree. And what a great post about hoping people remember the show for the dancing and not the wacky things. Very true. But there's politics in everything now, isn't there?
    I can remember way back when my parents were training me in the medal syllabus and I was taking my medal test. The adjudicator that came to the studio to judge the tests grabbed me by the arm and said, "I was harder on you because of who you are." I was fourteen at the time, I think. My parents were respected and popular competitors in their day and as soon as I began entering competitions, whether pro-am with my dad, or later when I had my own partner, I always knew the pressure was on me because of their popularity. At that age, I didn't have the nerves to take that kind of pressure, and stopped competing in my twenties. I regret that now at times, but today I'm as happy as can be, still in our little studio, still working alongside my dad. Sorry for the useless trivia; didn't mean to ramble!
  8. Infosaturated

Infosaturated New Member

I agree that Ashley has her own fan base. I am surprised she hasn't been picked up for a sitcom or talk show or something. She is very charismatic.

Backstory is very important, and watching P and Ashley together is fun. Last week when there was a short music change in the studio and P started "dancing" Ashley was so surprised it was adorable. Watching them on the basketball court was also charming. In a strange way Ashley is the Kelly of this season. They are very different people but they both have that certain something that gets people rooting for them.
  9. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

thank you I believe that is the case
  10. alemana

alemana New Member

actually what i most care about is getting people into studios NOW. i have had SO many ppl ask me for studio recommendations and stuff as a result of their seeing the show, then meeting me and realizing i'm a dancer.

my perception is that it's working - my usual studio was so crowded on tuesday that i couldn't dance. that has never happened to me before, in 2.5 years.
  11. Big10

Big10 Member

Now that is a totally different perspective that I hadn't considered. Perhaps Kelly was the hard worker doing the best she could with her own limited talents -- and Ashly is now the hard worker doing the best she can despite her partner's limited talents?
  12. DancePoet

DancePoet New Member

Ayuh, but like ya said, "the basic format is a dancing contest". *shrug*

Good point!

Perhaps he'll make the final three, but if Jerry's dancing doesn't significantly improve hopefully not.
  13. DancePoet

DancePoet New Member

In answer to your question, it depends on what the word "like" is being viewed as. If you mean exactly alike, well then of course not. However if you mean similar, then yes. Besides, perhaps I'm being misunderstood or unclear?

Frankly, I'm disappointed with Giselle disappearing before George, yet this was a thread about P. v. Len, correct?
  14. DancePoet

DancePoet New Member

I didn't read anything about someone hating Master P. Perhaps I'm confused?
  15. DancePoet

DancePoet New Member

Whether we like P or Len OR not, the show really does seem to be bring interest to ballroom! :D

Last night I sat with two teenage boys watching the show, and at the end one of them is actually considering taking ballroom dance lessons. :banana:

(DP, don't get too excited, teenage boys can sometimes be rather fickle.)

Ah! But it is a break in the closed off attitude they had before to the notion of even giving it a try. ;)
  16. mamboqueen

teenage boys are nothing compared to teenage girls!
  17. star_gazer

star_gazer Active Member

Better yet...in ballroom, sometimes we have teenage boys dancing with teenage girls.

:headwall::headwall::headwall:
  18. mamboqueen

God bless the boys for putting up with the girls! (And I'm just speaking of my own experience as a PITA teenage girl!)
  19. star_gazer

star_gazer Active Member

What is a "PITA teenage girl?"
  20. alemana

alemana New Member

PITA means "pain in the knat."