Worse for Ballroom Dancing -- Master P or Len?

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by Big10, Jan 23, 2006.

1. DancePoet

DancePoet New Member

I haven't been thrilled with many of Len's comments either. And the fact that he will continue to be on the show far longer then P certainly could influence how people see ballroom, perhaps more than P as well. Hopefully this won't effect how the "average" guy decides to learn ballroom.

2. DancePoet

DancePoet New Member

I believe you have hit on an important point. P probably has his most effect on the very people he said he was on the show for, and it won't be a good one because he didn't demonstrate what it would take to really give it the effort he could have. Very unfortunate.

3. DancePoet

DancePoet New Member

These are good points, yet if one is spending only 5 hours a week compared to the 30 hours per week others are doing (as has been reported), I suspect there is a limitation to how much can really be learned.

4. DancePoet

DancePoet New Member

This presumes Carrie Ann's comment was correct. ;)

5. DancePoet

DancePoet New Member

Big10, just wanted you to know your contributions are appreciated. :cool:

Regarding your question, I'm sure it would be the choreographer's initially, yet if the student only spends 5 hours the previous week, and technique is taught before styling, under these conditions it could be difficult to get the "student" to look like a matador.

6. DancePoet

DancePoet New Member

:D

7. Firsttime Dancer

Firsttime Dancer New Member

Hi, I new, both to dance and to this forum, but I have to put in my two cents worth here if you don't mind. I have had a passion for dance that after retiring fromthe military I can finally indulge.

After thinking this issue through and looking over the 11 pages of posting and all the flack that was brought about via the press and radio, etc. I have to say who is worse?? Neither one.

Why? They both have everyone tuning in to see what is going to happen on the show. So they are watching what? DANCE! Something that I am passionate about.

My teenagers are now asking me if they can come to my classes, but they are FULL! There is no room in the ball room classes. They are signed up for the next session WHICH IS ALREADY BOOKED SOLID.

So yes, Len and P have had some heated words, they got harsh, they made ABC's day by having the ratings soar. They made other peoples tempers fly off the handles. They got people screaming about race haters etc. But they got people watching DANCE. Ok, so the professionals here of whom I bow down and kiss your feet and hope one day to be 1/3 as graceful and skilled as you can see all the goofs and errors and can pick up on everything and cringe. But please be honest, be passonate about the one thing that I am that people are still talking about DANCE!

It truely is the heart of the show. Please save me from ever becoming less passonate about dance than I am now. I might be a blundering Firsttimer just trying to remember to step out on my toes and not my heels like the Army trained me to do for 20 plus years, but God I LOVE to DANCE.

8. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard, we're thrilled to have you here, Firsttime!

9. Big10

Big10 Member

That has been exactly my view all along, and has been underlying every comment I've made about Master P. There's a big difference between being disrespectful versus simply being "new to the game."

:roll:

I have absolutely no idea how you could make that particular assumption about me. I have admitted that I know very little about ballroom dancing, but I do know more than the average person about dancing a choreographed routine, including partner dancing, and I have great respect for the amount of time it takes to perform something well.

I also know that learning the steps involves a different process than learning the styling. Carrie Ann commented after two different dances (Quickstep and Jive, I think) that Master P appeared to follow his choreography, even if he didn't execute it with much flair. I agreed with that assessment, and it also looked like Master P was adhering to Ashly's choreography for the Paso Doble, too. In other words, he at least had to ability to remember when to get to a certain spot on the floor and then have Ashly backlead the rest (like Edyta did with George).

So, for example, if "the matador" is simply a particular set of basic steps, then I think that would fall squarely on Ashly's shoulders. If "the matador" is a matter of styling, then I could understand how Ashly couldn't instill a series of intricate movements in Master P's muscle memory given his time constraints. That's why I wanted to get an understanding of what the whole matador thing was about, and why Carrie Ann (and other participants) made such a big deal about it.

10. Medira

Medira New Member

And so, we were wondering what was going to be big and controversial when P left? Well, it looks like they're stretching to see what they can find. Apparently Entertainment Tonight is boasting the story of a "Dancing with the Stars Scandal" to be aired tomorrow. Stacy Keibler posing for a men's magazine! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Yeesh...you'd think if they were really wanting to stir something up, they'd try for something better.

11. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Thanks for keeping us honest, Firsttime Dancer. And welcome to the forums. We're here for people just like you. :D

Welcome. :D

12. pygmalion

Little do they know that ballroom dancers dancing salsa is plenty to keep the dance world agog. :lol:

13. waltzgirl

waltzgirl New Member

At first I thought, whoa! What do you mean 5 hours? I took lessons for six months before I entered my first pro/am comp. And then I figured out that, since I danced six dances, I had probably averaged about 6 hours of lessons on each dance. That explains a lot!

14. pygmalion

Yes. The whole equation chages, if the beginning pro-am student practices outside of lessons. I suspect a lot of pro-am instructors find it difficult to pressure their students to practice, though. They are, after all, trying to make dance lessons appealing enough so that their adult-learner, $70+-per-hour-paying students want to come back. It's a tough balance for everyone, I think. :?

15. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Which one, and where can I get a copy? :raisebro:

16. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Why does this not remotely surprise me? I'd be willing to bet somewhere in the article (and Joe, you *will* read the article, right??!!) she'll say she wants to be an actress.

17. Medira

Medira New Member

I don't know! You'll have to watch Entertainment Tonight to find out. :)

18. Medira

Medira New Member

Hehehe! Probably.

I don't see why it matters though. Last season's winner was a former Playboy bunny!

19. star_gazer

star_gazer Active Member

Slightly off course but...my oldest daughter did ballet and was on the ballroom dance team in high school. Then the summer after her first year in college she joined the army and went to basic training at Ft Jackson. She got some special medal for max-ing in PT and says that all her dance training gave her the discipline, flexiblility and strength to succeed. She's at Ft Rucker training to fly helicopters now but she still joins us at as many ballroom dance competitions as she can. And she's quite the dancer!

20. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

They have articles?