Xmas songs?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by danceislove, Nov 22, 2008.

1. danceislove

danceislove New Member

Came over a few in my search:

"Baby, its cold outside"
    by Built by the Sea, NC2Step
    by James Taylor, Rumba
    by Vanessa Williams, Rumba/wcs?
  2. danceislove

danceislove New Member

More songs I've come across in the search ;)

Destiny's Child
    "8 Days of Christmas"
    WC Swing

Brian Setzer Orchestra
    "Gettin in the Mood for Chrismas"
    Swing
    (Actually the whole album "Christmas Rocks: The best of collection" is almost all swing music...)

The Supremes/Kenny Rogers/Andy Williams/SWV
    "My favorite things"
    Viennese Waltz

Yolanda Adams
    "My favorite things"
    Bolero

Vanessa Williams
    "Silver and Gold"
    Waltz

Swing Cats: Rock-A-Billy Christmas album

Multiple artists
    "Once upon a December"
    Viennese Waltz

Salsa Celtica
    "Auld Lang Syne"
    Rumba

Andy Williams
    "The most wonderful time of the year"
    VW

Wham!
    "Last Christmas"
    ECS

Whitney Houston
    "Do you hear what i hear?"
    NC2Step

Madonna
    "Santa baby"
    Foxtrot

Zee Avi
    "No christmas for me"
    Foxtrot

Colbie Caillat
    "Mistletoe"
    NC2Step

House of Heroes
    "Silent Night"
    Waltz
  3. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Xmas Songs

Try amazon.com for song previews you can listen too. My personal favorite CD is "We Three Strings". No singing, spanish flare acoustical guitars to classic Christmas songs - with even a Paso Doble to God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen. Very different and very appealing at parties.:D
  4. piimapoika

piimapoika Member

Three nice Finnish Christmas CD's:

"Joulu joka päivä" by Arja Koriseva. You will recognise quicksteps Talven ihmemaa (Winter wonderland) and Lunta saa tuiskuttaa (Let it snow); but not the quick waltz Konstan joululaulu. 15 beautiful Christmassy tracks, including Oi Betlehem sä pienoinen (Little town of Bethelehem) sung unaccompanied. Never mind if you know no Finnish:Arja's voice is so expressive you will understand every word.

"Saa joulu aikaan sen", Arja Koriseva. A few familiar ones including Marian poika (Mary's boy child): Tule joulu kultainen and Sydämeen joulun teen are nice slow waltzes; Tonttu Torvinen, slow jive; Pikkutontun joululipas is as sweet and sugary as the icing on the Christmas cake.

"Minun joululauluni" by Anne Mattila accompanied by her sisters Anneli, Anniina and Anitta. Anne has a powerful husky voice surprising in one so young (she was 20 when she made the album). All tracks are Finnish compositions. Joulu on se verraton, Hipi-hepan joululahja, and Tonttu on tonttu are jolly quicksteps or jives; others are best kept for late in the evening when people are getting a bit maudlin: for example Joulun paperitähti (I look at the Christmas paper star and remember my childhood and I'm not miserable) or Kuinka voisi joulu tulla (about a girl gazing gloomily at the presents on Christmas Eve, having been dumped by a three-word text)
  5. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

I'm not sure who does this, but 'Grandma got run over by a reindeer' is a quickstep.
  6. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Elmo and Patsy?
  7. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Very cool piimapoika, nice to see the foreign comments, as we might not all have heard of them. And my main exposure to Finland is in their weapons and history of the Winter War. Definitely a more cheerful aspect of the country.

8. gracie

gracie Active Member

Sixpence None the Richer does a version of It Came Upon A Midnight Clear a beautiful Viennesse Waltz. Brian McNight has a new Christmas album out this year- no telling what you might find there.
  9. Indiana_Jay

Indiana_Jay Active Member

This one from my list was just on the radio:

Harry Connick, Jr. - Santa Claus Is Coming to Town
    Harry for the Holidays
    Holiday Cha-Cha
    31 MPM

I'd forgotten how cool it is. Give it a listen!
  10. Indiana_Jay

Indiana_Jay Active Member

Another one I recently heard:

Merry Christmas Baby
    Sheryl Crow and Eric Clapton
    A Very Special Christmas Live: From Washington DC

THis is a really cool R&B cut that, at 24 MPM, oughta work pretty well for west coast swing.
  11. kayak

kayak Active Member

Old City Bar - Trans-Siberian orchestra - waltz
  12. katandmouse

katandmouse New Member

Christmas iMix

Here is my Christmas dance music iMix:

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewIMix?id=299968086
  13. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

Elivis Presley's version of Merry Christmas Baby is a sensual WCS. Very Cool - or should I say Hot!