yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Yesterday:
    Archery at 8.30, came home and forumed/cleaned up, got ready for ball, went to ball, came home and crashed. And then got up at 8 the next morning...just because I enjoy living off of 7 hours of sleep.

2. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

7:02--Up as child comes in room and says "Okay, it's after 7!" as if we must be the laziest people alive to still be asleep at 7 on a Saturday.
    Make cold cereal.

7:15ish--Start surfing my sites. Oh, yay! Emeralddancer is the best! She sent me the schedule for the comp over Facebook!

8:15ish--Child asks for print outs of flags of places where our family comes from so she can color them. I think that she means things like England, Russia, Latvia, Holland. She means things like New Mexico, Washington State, New Jersey, Arizona, and Maryland. LOL. So I work on that.

8:45--Start playing Barbies and Disney dolls with child. Child gives some dolls funny, complicated names derived from Greek mythology. I call mine things like "Captain Hook."

9:15--I take brief break to throw in some laundry.

9:22--Child realizes that it is after 9 and asks if she can go over to a friend's house. (I try to hold her back until 9, although over the course of the summer, the neighborhood kids usually roll that back to 8, sometimes even 7:30.)

9:45ish--Child returns to house with friend. Eventually, another friend comes by as well. They play restaurant and then Uno Attack.

11ish--Run around house getting together things like child's hair supplies, leotard, and tulle skirt for Atlantic Dancesport Championships. Oh, and change over laundry.

11:40--Try to print out proof that child is a USA Dance member, just in case needed at comp. (Only $15 membership for a minor! Cool.) Printer apparently jammed earlier during flag project. Husband promises to fix this and bring print out. He will also pack sandwiches, chicken, fruit, Cheerios, and candy. He and Naomi are going to meet me there at 3. Her event will be around 5.

11:55--Leave for Towson...a little later than I had hoped, but not bad.

12:40--Arrive Towson. Didn't miss much; they are on heat 5. Pay admission and video fee and think about how much I love USA Dance comps. (So affordable!)

A friend of mine whom I've known since I started dance is one of the people doing admission.
    Nik is the MC. He's doing a great job, and looks smashing in suit and tie.
    Emeralddancer is assisting the deejay and is busy, busy, busy. She also designed the program, which is great.

I sit in the second row close to the front desk. After a few heats I realize...wait! Are those two FRONT ROW SEATS? I go ask if anyone is sitting there. No? SCORE!

1:30--Go outside and call family. Remind husband that child needs to wear mary janes, not sandals or crocs or sneakers. (We haven't bought her dance shoes yet.)

3--Where is my family? Check cell. They are caught in traffic. Darn it. I'll bet it's the extra volume from the Preakness. Hope they get here soon.

3:15ish--Yay! There's my child and husband! She apparently fell asleep in the car during the boring traffic and is a little groggy.

3:30ish--Get child ready. Little snafu at first, as she puts both legs into one leg hole of leotard and I'm looking at it like "Why does it look so crooked?" I try to wrench it into a better position and accidentally scratch her with my pinky ring. THEN she mentions something about her legs feeling tied together and we figure out the problem. How can her thighs be so skinny that she can get both legs in one leg hole?

4:30--Child gets to practice with her partner for pre-teen "singles." (For those of you who don't dance USA Dance, this is a category where ams without partners can dance with a more experienced am. Just the single will be judged.) He is about 16 and easily my height, maybe taller. Child is approximately 3' 10.5" and 46 lbs. She seems nervous and is having a harder time staying on music and remembering what she knows than she normally does. But she doesn't seem like she's going to chicken out or anything.

4:45--Showtime!
    Child looks to be the youngest and smallest of the girls, and definitely seems to know the least. I am so proud of her because she is out there doing the competition after only a few months of lessons. I call out her name and number as I video and dh takes stills. I decide that I am really too close to be taking video. Oh well! It's not going to be a Front Row-caliber video, but it will still be a memento.

5ish--Child is done and we are all hungry, so I run out to car to get lunchboxes. I realize after I am already out there that I have no idea where husband parked. Run into Joe while I am looking for the car. He probably thinks I am the world's biggest dork. Child has snacks and Andy+I have pb+j.

5:45ish--Awards.

6:15ish--Child is restless and claims to be tired. Temporarily keep her entertained by letting her draw on scratch paper. It is quite warm in the ballroom. Nik has taken off his jacket, but is still valiantly emceeing. Child goes outside, first with her dad, then with me. It starts to rain. We continue playing "follow the leader," mostly staying under awnings.

6:45ish--Oh, good...we're coming up on the pre-champ and champ events. Keep child entertained by letting her video random dancers, and promising her Austin and Gabby are coming soon. (They really stood out to her at Nationals...with good reason. They are special. We are huge fans.)

Then the marquee events! Lots of good couples. We especially enjoy watching
    -Austin Joson and Gabriella Sabler
    -Stan Faynerman and Irina Shergina

Child loves Austin and Gabby. She very cutely makes a "Go 24!" sign on scratch paper.

8:15ish--Awards.
    Austin and Gabby win the youth latin. Child is soooo happy for them. Husband takes line-up shot. He also takes photo of emeralddancer's boss with Austin-Gabby, since she is an event sponsor. He takes one of Naomi with Austin-Gabby as well.

8:35--And we're on our way home. We play "Star Wars" in the car. I am Luke, Han, Leia, Chewbacca, and Darth Vader. Child is herself. I personally think that I do a pretty good Han voice, but my Chewbacca needs a lot of work.
    Lightning. Lots of it. Then the sky opens up and it starts to POUR! Windshield wipers can't even really keep up. Rain is coming down so hard child asks if it is hailing.

9:25ish--Home. Child says she is hungry, which makes sense, since she didn't eat the chicken we packed for her dinner, just snacks. Give her Cheerios, and I have some snacks too.

Oh, {foul language!} I left a white plastic bag containing child's hair things on the counter. The cat's litter box liners are also white plastic, and he peed on it! And he got the program a little wet, and today's Baltimore Sun is drenched. BOO!!! Bad cat!!!!

9:45ish--Child to bed.

10:30--I go to bed. I am beat!

3. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

oooh, archery. That's on my "someday" list.

4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

readings ccm's post make me very hapy that my children are old

5. j_alexandra

Yesterday:

Up at 5
    motel breakfast with the same crowd of "colleagues" aka plague of locusts
    to show to open up at 8
    work show until 5
    feed Spouse a salad from bar in hotel
    have dinner with two friends at a decent restaurant about half an hour away, have been looking forward for days to a decent meal (not fast food, not show food and not another freakin' grilled chicken caesar salad) turns out conversation is wonderful, but meal is mediocre however, chocolate chip cappucino gelato is divine and worth every freakin' calorie
    drive back to motel, checking local gas station to make sure they have air hose b/c I forgot to inflate flat tire on cart and today is loadout day at show
    dfed
    and so to bed

6. ChaChaMama

Lol. I actually love having a 6 year old, but I can see how the daily 6:30-7 AM wake-up call, "Follow the Leader" in the rain, and playing "Star Wars" imagination games while driving in a downpour might lack poetry, when looked at from a certain perspective.

On the other hand, if I didn't have her, I might not spend as much time marvelling at the natural world, like the joy of finding robin's eggs in their nest, or the pleasure of meeting 2 day old calves on a classmate's farm. I wouldn't get caught up in the magic of Harry Potter. And I wouldn't have her to share ballroom and other fun things with.

I will say, though, that naps have moved WAY up on my list of favorite indulgences over the last 6 years. Way, way up!

7. samina

samina Well-Known Member

cha cha...i think you have a book ya. ;)

8. fascination

and I totally loved that when it was my turn as well...just happy to be in a different space now...but certainly those were years I would not trade...just as these are as well...enjoy

9. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Yesterday I helped out at a camp quality thing for archery, then came home and got ready for Phantom of the Opera, went to phantom, stayed at BF's house for tea, and came home and stressed over an essay due today that I've decided I'm not going to get finished to a quality that I like.

10. fascination

awoke a 6:30 to sing 8 o'clock mass
    ate breakfast and got cooking started for lunch and dinner in a rare show of domesticity
    practiced
    df-ed, fb-ed, tried to nap, watched TV, ate lunch
    napped
    went tanning
    more practice
    mowed lawn
    ate dinner
    dfed, fb-ed, more TV
    bed around 10

was a useless day, but I needed that

11. LucyDiamond

LucyDiamond Active Member

Went to the New York Aquarium in Brooklyn followed by a wonderful Italian dinner!

12. j_alexandra

Up at 5:30
    one last motel breakfast with "colleagues"
    to show by 8, after packing out of motel room
    work show until 11:30
    load van with help from adorable, smart, and useful kid lent to me by show promoter
    on the road by 1:30
    Drove from Denver to Fort Morgan, CO, stopped for gas
    drove from Ft. Morgan to North Platte, NE, stopped here for appalling dinner
    Drove from North Platte to Kearney, NE to motel
    dfed
    bed

13. j_alexandra

might as well do today, as it's short
    Drove from Kearney, NE to South Bend, IN, with brief stop for chow in Grinnell, IA;
    into worst motel I've been in for ages
    cheap Chinese dinner
    df'ing
    I've driven 12 hours and 727 miles; why am I still awake?

14. j_alexandra

OOoh, the Aquarium! Neat! Haven't been in ages, and I mean not since a field trip in grade school. <hangs head in shame>

15. fascination

you should have spent the night here silly...you could have practiced and looked at the dress ...am originally from south bend btw...my bro is a cop there

16. fascination

awake at 630...particularly demanding morning on df
    planned fitness class
    at gym for 2 fitness classes and then tanned 730-11
    lunch, failed attempt at nap
    more df
    practice
    back to gym from 330-715p
    subway on the way home
    df, fb, tv, bed

17. ChaChaMama

I think I've driven this same route, way back when we moved from California to Maryland so I could start my job!

We had a funny experience in Nebraska. We asked someone what the best restaurant was in town--most of what you could see from the highway was fast food--and the person recommended a steakhouse. This was not surprising, since some of the best steaks in the country come from Nebraska. We weren't that hungry, since we had sat in the car all day, but a steak beats fast food any day. I looked at "The lighter side" on the menu. Even there, the steaks were at least 10 oz! The steaks came with a starter salad, and it said "We are proud to serve Kraft brand salad dressings." Having just come from the Berkeley/San Francisco area, where foodie culture is big and probably no restaurant would ever confess to using pre-bottled dressing, this made me smile.

18. fascination

yep...nebraska is special ;)...ya just have to stop there and let it soak in...another reason why I love to drive

19. fascination

oh, and speaking of aquariums, chicago has a positively magnificent one for anyone who is interested

20. ChaChaMama

My yesterday:

6:13--Wake up to child entering room. "I was getting myself dressed and I got stuck!" (Why is she getting dressed for school so early???) Sure enough, her hair is caught on the big button at the back of the shirt she is putting on. (She has beautiful, thick, waist-long light brown hair.) I get her untangled. "Don't even think about getting up! Although I am hungry!"

Brush teeth, try to go back to bed.

6:20--Child decides I should get up after all, and make her cereal. (Sometimes she makes her own. Maybe I should encourage that more?) I get up.

Feed child, self, get self dressed, make child lunch.

8:20--Deposit child at school.

8:30--Stop by grocery store pharmacy to pick up thyroid pills for cats. Fail. Pharmacy doesn't open until 9. Leave.

8:40--Arrive on campus. Oh, joy of joys...the heat still isn't working. Secretary has on a space heater. She and I bitch a little about the ongoing lack of heat, esp since it is about 50 degrees outside.

~9-11:28--Edit and write, with occasional breaks, but try to stay pretty focused. I know I'm not going to be able to stay long because it is not comfortable. Finish complete revised draft of Chapter 4!

11:28--Get up to leave and feel a serious twinge in my back, right where the chicken wing of my shoulder blade comes in. Great. I've probably been tensing while I type, due to the cold. Really not feeling good.

11:35--Hit the pharmacy and pick up the cats' thyroid pills.

11:45--Home. Lunch. Talk with spouse about photo processing from Atlantic Dancesport Championships.

12:30--Hot bath to try to work out that kink.

1--Decide to lie down for a bit. Read "The Chronicle of Higher Education." I'm operating on only 6 hours of sleep, so I decide a nap is allowed.

2:30--Wake up. Jump on DF and other sites.

3:30--Child comes home. Chat with spouse a little.
    Put away some laundry.

4:45--Shower.

5:10--Early dinner.

5:35--Leave for Atlantic Ballroom. Play "Harry Potter" in the car.

6:30--I have private lesson with Nik. Naomi has kids' group class with Natasha.
    I work on: Cha-cha--rotating in syncopated chasses without so much tension in upper body. Better connection w/partner going out to fan. Using feet more in cha-cha/rumba. Finishing hip. Posture. Do a little jive at the end as well, working and thinking about pendulum, delayed weight transfer.
    Naomi's class learns voltas and whisks in samba, and begins work on locks in cha-cha. There were some new littler kids in the class. Natasha definitely had her work cut out for her!

7:30--Talk with some other moms. Oh, it's Polina's birthday! Everyone sings to her. Very sweet.
    Stop for gas.

8:30--Arrive home. Spend a little time on DF and other sites.

9:30--Watch "Dancing with the Stars" in time delay.

10:30--Spend time on DF and other sites. Begin work on identifying people in CCP's photo gallery from Atlantic Dancesport Championships. Stay up waaaaay too late.