yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Absolutely. Love the Shedd, esp after they did all the work adding oceanarium with dolphins, etc. Err, of course, I'm assuming that's still there. It has been a few years since I visited. :p
  2. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Slept late. Got up. Fed cats. Had breakfast. Cleaned. Started laundry. Got sucked into internet time-wasting. Put laundry in dryer. Put out trash for today. Fed cats again. Ate again. Went to work. Did not leave work as early as I'd like so missed DWTS again. Came home. Ate. Worked out. Took shower. Fell asleep in front of TV.

Except for laundry and trash, and how much time I have between "get up" and "work", and how many "works" there are, that's pretty much every day, though.
  3. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

It's undoubtedly the same road; I-80 goes through Nebraska, from San Fran to NY. Might even have been the same town; there aren't many.

Asking where to eat, when way out of town, sometimes produces interesting results. Yesterday, in IA, we ate at a "family restaurant" where Spouse was able to indulge his regrettable taste for Chicken Fried Steak and mashed spuds. I loathe CFS, but am a big fan of mashed, so I tasted his. They were instant, topped with canned gravy. IMHO, canned gravy on instant mashed is unspeakable.
  4. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

I had never even heard of chicken fried steak until I visited my boyfriend (now husband) in New Mexico back when we were still dating. He and his Dad used to go out to eat at a cafeteria called Furr's that serves this, so it's some kind of comfort food for him. It sounds like a cholesterol special with a heartburn chaser to me, so I can't say I've ever tried it.

Food is so regional in the U.S. I had also never heard of scrapple until I moved to Maryland. That's another food I have no interest in trying!
  5. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Hrmmm, that one I had to look up:

Scrapple or pon haus (Dutch) is a savory mush of pork scraps and trimmings combined with cornmeal and flour, often buckwheat flour. The mush is formed into a loaf, and slices of the scrapple are then fried before serving. Scraps of meat left over from butchering, not used or sold elsewhere, were made into scrapple to avoid waste. Scrapple is best known as a regional American food of the Mid-Atlantic States (Delaware, Virginia, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Maryland).

And for those who don't know the other one (mmmm, chicken fried steak):

Chicken fried steak (also known as country fried steak) is a piece of steak (tenderized cube steak) coated with seasoned flour and pan fried. It is associated with Southern U.S. cuisine and hospitality. Its name is likely due to chicken fried steak's similarity in preparation to fried chicken, though the dish is also similar to the classic Viennese dish Wiener Schnitzel, a tenderized veal cutlet, coated with flour, eggs, and breadcrumbs and fried.
  6. ChaChaMama

My yesterday:

1 AM--Went to bed and could not sleep. I pretty much never have insomnia. Sleeping is generally one of the things I do best!!! No idea what was going on.

--Had a very fitful night. Bad dreams toward morning, including that child had shingles. Ugh.--

8 AM--Get up.

9:30-12--Volunteer at the library at child's school (Montessori). Help another child look up information on platypuses. Cut out tiny little plastic squares from a math work with a boxcutter, a tool entirely excessive in power to the task at hand. Upper elementary kids are getting things out of the supply closet in the library for their camping trip. They seem very excited. Hope my child will be able to have such experiences! Hope Montessori makes it through the recession.

12:15--Home.
    Check on Mama Robin, from a distance. Yup, still sitting on nest!
    Lunch.
    Visit my internet sites.
    Chat with alum of the college where I teach on FB. She's very fun.

3--Workout. Run 5 miles at a 6.3 pace, walk 2 miles at a 4.0 pace.

4:30ish--Talk with Nik on the phone.

5ish--Shower.

5:30ish--Make a new recipe: Green Bean and Corn Salad with Tomato-Tarragon Vinaigrette.

7ish--About to give child bath when Dad calls. Husband gives child bath instead.

7:45--Child's bedtime ritual. Every night, we do favorites and least favorites. Each family member says what his/her favorite thing(s) from the day was and least favorite thing(s). Child's favorite is "School. It was kind of delightful." How great an answer is that?
    Hair brush, teeth brush.
    Read.
    8:40--Child is asleep.

8:45ish--Have snack. Read a little Chronicle of Higher Ed while husband tries to fix internet. Start reading an academic book I just got off Amazon, Tonya Krouse's The Opposite of Desire: Sex and Pleasure in the Modernist Novel.

10ish--Watch DWTS Results.

11:30ish--Hop on internet. FB with emeralddancer.

12ish--To bed!
  7. ChaChaMama

YUCK! Doesn't sound any more appetizing with the full description.

I'm pretty sure scapple is the very definition of not kosher! ;)
  8. j_alexandra

Could only be less kosher if made from shrimp. Come to think of it, certain dim sum have a filling made of something vaguely similar. Wish I hadn't thought of that. Also now wish to go to Chinatown. been too long.
  9. j_alexandra

Yesterday:

up at 5
    left South Bend at 6:40
    fast food on Ohio Tpk (not recommended)
    fast food at Clarion, PA (ditto)
    annoying traffic at construction in mid-PA
    more annoying traffic, but much closer to home, on I-80 in NJ
    discovered by phone that father, brothers et al were planning to dine at my favorite restaurant
    made it home 6:30 pm, in time to join them; YAY!
    Had my first caipirinha. Will have more.
    dfed
    watched dvd of group classes I missed while I was gone; thank you, dance buddy with camera!
    and so to bed
    two consecutive 12 hour and 700+ mile days forgotten in the pleasure of good food, family, and sleeping in own bed with own cat :grin:
  10. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

up at 7..
    housework and meal prep
    tanning
    drive to indy
    same fast food nightmare as per J.alex
    lessons
    second fast food nighmare
    df
    family home...wonderful
    sleep
  11. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

4am: alarm goes off, cat decides to walk over me
    4:15: get out of bed, shower, get dressed, get work crap together
    5:15: leave house, stop for gas, drive to train station...realize I'm going to be late, detour to metro
    6:30: get on metro
    7am: get to work...
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...
    5:25: leave work, get on metro, drive to friend's house, eat dinner, watch tv
    9:45: leave friend's house, drive home
    10:45: get home, piddle around for a while, don't know what i did to waste that time
    ~midnight: go to sleep
  12. j_alexandra

You have a cat and an alarm? Isn't that a duplication of effort? :wink:
  13. j_alexandra

Yesterday, I:

slept until after 6, which is v late for me
    tea, banana, water
    unloaded van
    bank, PO, bank again, UPS
    bought 2 huge bags of "peanuts" from packaging stuff supplier; good thing van was unloaded, cos they take up a lot of room
    sold supplier a gift for his son the USMC colonel
    made a woman in Texas happy by shipping her husband's b'day gift on time
    unexpected client visit with successful outcome
    spent a zillion $ at supermarket and got not much to show for it
    made lunch for Spouse (don't ask)
    made lunch for self
    prepped shipment of a ton of backlogged sales
    LESSON! YAY!
    finished prepping shipment only to find we were out of toner in the printer and couldn't print UPS labels
    off to Staples for toner
    labels done at last
    took gigantic shipment to UPS
    picked up takeout for Spouse
    walked to local Japanese place for peace, quiet, and sake
    home; spent some time with neighbors abusing my brother's driving skilz, or lack thereof, while observing smashed headlight, fender, panel etc., of my beloved car
    dfed
    and so to bed; cat was happy to have her personal slave back, warming up the bed for her
  14. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

LOL. Something has to wake up the cat...

Edit to add: I will say that the (not so little) buggers are great for spot-massaging, if a little random in their efforts. Having one of them walk around on my back when it's sore feels fantastic. Likewise, this past weekend I woke up lying on my back, with one of them lying on my chest. He was all kinds of happy, so he was kneading. I'd done push-ups the day or so before, so was a bit tender, and the kneading on the shoulder crease felt wonderful!
  15. fascination

up at 630
    df
    3 fitness classes 8-11
    trip to drug store for wine and a get well card
    home to df, lunch and pay bills as well as other odds and ends and enjoy some time with dh who took the day off
    back to gym from 330-730
    dinner nice time w/family
    df bed
  16. j_alexandra

Now, *that's* a drug store. Round these parts, they don't sell wine!:smile:
  17. ChaChaMama

Fascination--It probably is not a good sign about my degree of mental acuity at the present moment that when I saw your signature, my initial thought was "Her studio showcase is on 6/6/09 at a 7-11? Wha...? Oh...7-11 PM!"

My Wednesday looked like this:

6:30ish--Get up with child.
    Cold cereal all around.
    Dressed, hair.
    Make lunches. Oh, huh. Not a lot of protein choices.
    Hard-boil eggs.

8:20--Drop child at school.

8:35--Surf web. Go through CCP's photos on pbase with heatlists and finish making list of names, by event. Post link to photos and list of names on DF, for anyone who cares.

10:15-12-Read Tonya Krouse's The Opposite of Desire: Sex and Pleasure in the Modernist Novel, Ch. 1 and 4.

12:15--Lunch

1:15--Consultation with dentist. Guess what? Need more dental work. Schedule next appt.

2--Meeting of an ad hoc committee to discuss the time codes at the college. There are some contentious points emerging already, and I find myself getting pretty annoyed. We try to figure out what data we need to gather in order to proceed. I realize after the meeting we left out at least one and possibly two important kinds of data. Will have to send e-mail.

3:15--Pick up interlibrary loan books. Student at front desk is someone I had spring semester of her first year. She is graduating this weekend, then on to law school.

3:30-5--Go to office. Do some editing and writing.

5:30--Home. Talk with family.
    Eat dinner.
    Do child's hairstyle (two braids criss-crossed over the top of her head) and help her with her dress.

6:20ish--Child and husband leave for the Daddy-Daughter Date, a dinner-dance that our community has. This is their third time going, and they always have a fabulous time! Husband reports that daughter identifies several songs as "rumbas," "cha-chas," etc. over the course of the evening, and tries to take dance position when they announce the Cha-Cha Slide. LOL! I also think it is hilarious that they had a dj request card, and child for some reason requested "I Will Survive" by Gloria Gaynor. Husband asks her why and she says she's heard it a couple times and likes it. I'll bet a lot more kids requested Hannah Montana songs than requested disco classics!

8:30ish--I get on treadmill. 4 miles at 6.3 mph pace, 1.5 miles at 4.0 mph pace.

9:40ish--Child and husband return home, happy and tired. Each "couple" gets a 5x7 photo, and the one of the two of them came out so nicely. Child goes up to bed.

9:50ish--I hop in shower.

10ish--Internet, read, chat with spouse.

11:30--Bed!
  18. ireniecat

ireniecat New Member

I thought the same thing... except then I decided it was quite unlikely to be at a 7-eleven, but didn't quite have the mental capacity to realize that it was the time. Instead, I just chose to ignore that bit, thinking it was some kind of "inside information" that I would understand if I looked at the event info.
  19. fascination

CVS (formerly Osco) is the only one
  20. samina

samina Well-Known Member

was gonna say the same myself...