yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

fri (doing today now as I am not long for it)

up (or shall I say "give up" and rise) at 7....headache, coffee and egg sammich

20 minutes of zumba and teach bike and bench (alternating btwn spin and step)

switch cars, drive dtr back to school were we hit World Market for beignet mix for dh and have Ethiopian food for lunch...so nice to get to civilization from time to time...kiss and hug my dtr...we had a wonderful Summer together ...

tan, switch cars again pick up subway for dinner because I've had my nails done for comp and don't want to do dishes....pretty much assume vegetative state ...

tomorrow will likely be all packing and practicing...but home alone with dh so that will be nice
  2. fascination

congrats !!!!!!
  3. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

3w--Congratulations!

Fascination--Good luck!

Thursday:
    Cats start nose kissing and then pouncing on feet all too early.

11:30-12:45--Library meeting which was mostly an information session rather than an actual "meeting." I did learn some things, though. The library renovation is allegedly going to happen between October-mid-February. That seems very ambitious to me. We're having half of our basement finished and that is going to take 6 weeks, but a major library renovation will take only around twice that amount of time? We shall see.

1-5:30--Drive to Chesapeake House on I-95. Pick up Child, who has just returned from a 5 night Royal Carribbean cruise with my parents. See their photos. Drive home.

Dinner.

Somehow, wind up on bedtime duty for Child as well...and Husband is in a surprisingly Maryland crabcake-ish mood. Whatever. It's not like he's the one who just did a 4 hour roundtrip drive!

Finished reading Martin Amis's Lionel Asbo.

Friday:
    9:10--ENG 1101. Debates on Westboro Baptist Church/free speech issue.

10:20--GLC. Discuss Wilfred Owen's "Dulce et Decorum Est." Begin discussion of Baden-Powell's Scouting for Boys.

Lunch.

12-2--Office hours. These actually run late, because several folks stop by and sometimes people do not like to leave.

Grade stuff.

3:30ish--Hungry and decide I need to have a healthy snack, so go home.

Snack.

Time w/Child.

Dinner.

Family meeting. Hash out major plans for fall, including Thanksgiving, OSB, etc.

Read Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey w/Child.
    Put her to bed.

Read Manning Marable's Malcolm X: A Life of Reinvention.
    ATTN: Pygmalion. I think you would really find this interesting. (Others of you might as well.) I'm definitely learning stuff already. Very different experience than reading The Autobiography.
  4. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Thanks ccm. I'll check it out. I've been meaning to since I heard the interview with the author on NPR. Just haven't gotten around to it, but I shall. :-D I foresee a Barnes and Noble trip in my near future. :wink:
  5. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Spent day with parents, visited briefly with grandmother, hung out in the evening with DH and friends to watch a movie.

Also finally got my hair cut for Locks of Love. :). 10" gone for that, plus a bit more for styling and whatnot. LOVE my new haircut. Feel pretty again for the first time in years.
  6. pygmalion

How in the heck long WAS your hair, exactly? No wonder you had all those concerns with conditioning, etc. The very ends of your hair must've been years old.

Yesterday. Really enjoyable day. Sleep deeply until I awaken at 8:00 completely re-fresh-ed. Spend the morning writing up exercises for my next training class. So much fun.

DS and I head back to old place to clean up. Or, more accurately, I head back to clean up. DS heads back for play, interspersed with lounging, interspersed with whining when I ask him to actually do anything. This goes on for about two hours, after which beginning to become a bit ... shall we say ... perturbed. (In two hours, he stripped and made two beds. I cleaned out the fridge, took out the trash, cleaned the bathrooms, did some packing, disinfected the counters, ...) I decide not to get mad. I decide to get even instead and assign DS tasks, rapid-fire like. I also pull out the handy-dandy parenting weapon of choice. Guilt. (Between guilt and yelling, there's really nothing a Mom can't accomplish, parenting-wise. *grin*) An hour later, we're done. DS has the nerve to ask if he can have, "a treat, for working so hard." Are you kidding me?

To Target for random stuff, including dinner. Buy lots of stuff. Back to new temp place, where I realize that I've forgotten to buy dinner. Oops. Guess I must be tired. All we have in the mini fridge is leftover mash and steamed veggies. Oh well. Leftover mash and steamed veggies it is.

DS works on two of his four homework assignments. For some reason, je suis americain versus je suis americaine baffles him. He also pronounces everything in Spanish, which I find hilarious. It takes several tries before I finally realize that, when he asks me, "What is [nee-say]?" he's really asking about Nice. What a hoot. We wrap up the homework session with a discussion of silent letters. French has TONS of them, according to DS. "No more than English, baby. You're just used to the ones in English. You'll get used to the ones in French, too. It takes time."

This bring back fond memories of seventh grade French class, where we read along while listening to pre-recorded fake conversations from vinyl -- yes I said VINYL -- records. (We've already established that I am old.) That was good stuff. Ah yes. The adventures of Jean Cluny - the fake guy who did all sorts of French stuff on vinyl for the benefit of middle-school students everywhere AND who was endlessly enthralled by conjugation of verbs. What a guy! :lol:

Pretend to do more work on stuff for class next week.

Zzz.
  7. Peaches

My hair was about down to my (natural) waist. So, yes, the ends were several years old. The conditioning was also to help keep the underside from matting.

According to Mr. Guy (who was just so pretty to look at *fans self*) my hair is exceptionally healthy. Yay. He kept saying I had the kind of hair that makes him want to keep cutting. Heh. I've gotten that before; I wonder what makes it fun to cut.

And I'm with your DS when it comes to French. A nasty-sounding, confusing as all hell, frustrating, and annoying language. Oh, how I loathe it. (Middle school French didn't go so well for me.) what you said about your DS speaking french like Spanish cracked me up. My brother went to DLI (the military's language school) for French. Apparently one of the guys in his class was from the deeeeeep south, which meant he ended up speaking French with an incredible southern drawl that had all of the teachers cringing. LOL.
  8. fascination

sat...up at 4 am due to pre-compsia no doubt...but went to bed early so it wasn't bad and still got back to sleep for a few hours to be up again at 7...

recieve numerous well wishes from many considerate people...begin pre-comp laundry, pet care, etc....open lovely gift from dtr (a scarf that she crocheted which is like some that I previously owned and enjoyed), and card from dh who brought flowers home yesterday (we have long-standing understanding that not griping about how much my dancing costs is the real gift)...tan, soak in jacuzzi...son surprises me and comes home from law school for the weekend...with nicely framed picture of the "the adorable one" as a gift...we order chinese, which we graze upon for the remainder of the day...we play cards (spades)...I spend evening with son resting his head on my lap which I like...end evening with a bowl of jello cherry cheesecake filling (because I don't like cake and I don't like crust, but my grandma used to make this boxed stuff and it reminds me of my childhood...son and I have a glass of wine together as dh has crashed...dh and I sadly, will have to have our romantic interlude after this comp...in all, a fine day aside from that
  9. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

Peaches--Yay for doing Locks of Love. That's very generous and giving of you. :) I envy you the nice hair texture. Mine tends toward the frizzy and dry...and though I had waist-long hair as a child, I could not possibly grow mine to my waist now. It literally won't grow that long.

Saturday:
    9:10--Put in 5.25 on treadmill. Read Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

10:10--Stick head out door and announce 30 minute warning for leaving. Hear a bit of whining. Shut door and take shower! Dither a little about what to wear to memorial service; make a choice. Help Child make a choice.

10:45--Very frustrated with family for not being ready until 10:45. Luckily, we live close.

11-1:30--At Memorial Service for a retired colleague and neighbor, who passed away recently from leukemia. Then at reception. It is packed. This guy taught for many years, influenced many students and was well-liked by the faculty, very genial guy. He was also an ultra-marathoner. His academic study was of long-distance running in extreme conditions, and he himself completed a 100 mile race in Alaska 3 times, among others. One colleague who ran it with him one time talked about how after they took a break to change into dry clothes at the 10 mile mark, he genially said "We just ran 10 miles. We only have to do that nine more times and we're at the finish line!"
    Child is very well-behaved at memorial. I am pleased.

Home. Lunch. Read Malcolm X.

Try to figure out what author events I want to go to this fall. I really would like to see Rushdie.

Read Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey with Child.

Dinner.

Child watches an episode of Star Trek: TNG and then I insist she does some more math. A hissy fit ensues, but I prevail.

Supervise math, and Child has a couple of deeply satisfying "click!" moments where all of the sudden she is like "Wait! I get this!" The drills were things like expressing improper fractions in their simplest form, or turning mixed numerals into improper fractions. So she would have something like 49/9, and had to turn it into 5 4/9.

Read to Child and put her to bed.

Read some more Malcolm X.

Bed.
  10. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Friday:

Lesson, my first with newly-modified practice dress; discover seamstress has stitched lovely new trim over the cross-the-back seam as before, to replace the lovely old trim, which was wearing out; however, she stitched through the garment to the bodysuit, and now the dress feels like a corset; wotthe, I'll get used to it, b/c I just don't want to deal with her any more
    To HFKAM to deal with Spouse, where I discover he has, basically, recruited a new caretaker
    Home, spectacularly beautiful day, my motivation to do anything else drains away, so I spend afternoon lying on the couch on the porch, reading and then... examining the inside of my eyelids, shall we say
    To theater with father; bah, humbug
    Blue moon over the river late at night, so beautiful
    Z late
  11. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Yesterday:

To NYC to buy fabric; get on-street parking, yay, troll all the stretch fabric and trim stores in the garment district, which is ridiculously fun; score the fabric I want, matching mesh for sleeves, and actually get stretch lace trim to match the royal blue fabric, statistically unlikely, as stretch lace trim usually comes in any color you want, as long as it's white or black
    To Lenore the Goddess of Hair, for haircut; my hair got so long, it was tangling in the shower -- it's been 7 or 8 years since my hair was long enough to do that -- and now, it's wash-n-wear hair again, color me happy
    Home; father is most displeased with haircut; meh, not my problem
    Make and break several plans to do stuff in the evening
    Make dinner, sit on porch with din and wine, and am stupefied by the beauty of the rising moon; sit in awed silence and watch it for what seems like hours and a timeless instant, both
    Read, Z
  12. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

:rocker:
  13. pygmalion

Yep. Big yay for locks of love. How does that work? You go to your own stylist and have them harvest your hair? Or do you go to a special stylist who specializes in Locks of Love haircuts?

I had a guy coworker years ago who grew his hair in for locks of love multiple times, but he didn't have to wait nearly as long as you would, P. He'd basically end up with a buzz cut, then start all over again. Really admirable cause, IMO.
  14. fascination

doing today now...pack, kiss son and dh, drive to indy and get some of pro's bags...drive, amid bad weather, to atlanta....insert wine
  15. pygmalion

I googled it. (What in the heck is this world coming to, if I'm forced to do my own googling? :lol: )

You can go to any salon. The Locks of Love people recommend you go to a salon with the LoL emblem posted, because the folks at that salon probably have more experience. But you can go anywhere. After it's done, you mail in your dry ponytail with contact info included in the mailer. Done. Sounds super easy (the mailing part -- not the growing your hair for a complete stranger part.). So worthwhile.
  16. pygmalion

Yesterday. Another groovy day. Awake at 8:00 after a great night of sleep. DS is already up, playing around on the internet. He locks the screen immediately when he realizes I'm awake. I choose not to acknowledge this. Denial: Parenting job #1.

Downstairs for a leisurely Sunday breakfast. The heck you say! There are some crazy-behind people who'd kill for a "free" scrambled egg. I kid you not. These people are crazy. So much for my plan to make DS waffles.

Off to the old place. I mop clean vacuum dust while DS does homework that requires a printer, before we pack the printer and put it somewhere that it's guaranteed to get lost. Say goodbye to the neighbor guy. Turn in the keys. Sayonara.

To Target. Dang! Somewhere in the billion boxes are DS's and my swim suits. And the new temp place has a pool, a whirlpool and a sauna. Target run required. New swimsuits on clearance. 75% off. Yay. Whirlpool for me. Pool for him, (See *I think* whining thread posts re: Black women's hair. Whirlpool - okay. Dunking my permed, dyed hair underwater? Not gonna happen, unless there's the second coming of the Titanic. Just sayin.)

Order the best Chinese food I've had in at least a decade. Side benefit of staying at a hotel run by a really nice Chinese family. Very groovy. DS and I gorge ourselves. After our mega-feast, I am (to quote my native Texan friend, L) as full as a tick after a Monday night dog show. (Please don't ask. I assume it's a Texas thing.)

Lounge in bed while working on training materials.

I doze on and off, while DS jumps around like a three-year-old, then does long term planning, like a fifty-year-old. Then whines like a toddler. Then works on AP geography like an actual teen. And so on. Such is adolescence. It's like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're going to get.

Zzz early.
  17. Peaches

Ah, sorry I missed this.

I went to a salon without the logo, because I was going to a particular salon with a particular stylist. My mom has been raving about the guy for a few years now, and I wanted to make sure that I'd get a good cut (since it was such a drastic change). He separated it into four sections, measured and put an elastic about 9.5" up from the end, and then cut about 3/4 of an inch above that. Done and done. The hair went in a bag, and I'll put it in a padded mailer, fill out the form, and mail it to them on Wednesday. Very, very easy.

Then it was shampooed (I HATE that part of the process. Love my hair getting played with, dislike the shampooing for some reason.), and then it was cut/styled.
  18. Peaches

Yesterday:

Up ridiculously early...read. Go back to sleep for a while. Wake up around...9:30? Shower, dress, and go out to brunch with DH. Eggs benedict and irish coffee! Om nom.

Grocery shopping. Get home and realize we've forgotten plenty of stuff. Dangit.

Put stuff away, grab a movie, grab lots of sangria, and settle in to take a nap. Napping doesn't happen during the moving. Huh.

DH makes a batch of BBQ sauce. (It's going to be canned.) We head downstairs to watch another movie together...and fall asleep. Wake up a few hours later, head up stairs to bed. We're so lame.

See that I missed a call from my mom. Eh, she's always calling randomly. No message left though. :/ Check FB, see that my aunt has posted about my grandfather. Call mom immediately...get the news. Spend a while musing and researching flights. To bed...toss and turn with swirling thoughts for a few hours before sleeping.
  19. fascination

mon...drive from atlanta to orlanda...secure 1000 different details...waiting for pro to arrive and fetch his bags, etc...then it will be to bed early
  20. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

your logging almost as many miles as my DH lately Fascination!
    Yesterday, DH drags my backside to the park for the 2 mile walk, then home,
    clean up house a bit.
    Head out to Dear Son's new first home.
    Is every driver on the road for the first time in their lives? goodness me.
    The entrance street to DS house is tiny, all the homes built in 1942, but hey
    they are 4 miles from work and still only 20 minutes side streets to the beach.
    He's not "all in" on paying for gas for his Silverado Truck. So they gave up
    neighborhoods for "close by work" ish.
    Cute, small mother in law plan...back yard definately needs to become a yard.
    Really nice sized garage, that they cannot get into with their cars because
    the gateway is too small,,, I found that hysterical,,,but a Pirus would fit.
    DS is up in a HUGE MASSIVE Vine/Bush/Tree that must have been growing from
    1942. He's fighting his Waterloo as he calls it and wants it out..gone..destroyed
    and he's just that focused with future father in law, and my DH.
    Three men, attacking this thing...yep...I'm gonna sit this one out and help
    contact paper the inside of the kitchen cabinets. yep, that's what I'm gonna do.
    Spend day at Son's house. Weird odd feeling..."his house" that is.
    My baby owns a house...and ooh ahhhhh, it's close to LAX....side note in brain.
    Homeward bound.
    DH finishes packing to drive to New Orleans.
    I look at hill above us...and see ...yep....Fire and Smoke.
    Great. One last hurray huh?
    Evacuation of campgrounds and trails....foothills are on fire.
    wonderful. (not).
    Husband is in rapid fire conversation mode while he runs around the house
    finishing up with his luggage, maps, odds, ends. grandchildren calls.
    I do the entirely right thing that any good wife would do....stay out of the way.
    Nighty Night.