yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

I actually was planning NYC that weekend but plans changed at the last minute. ;)
  2. Sagitta

How did the beans turn out? I'm always looking for new legume recipe ideas.
  3. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Today was the first day this week that I didn't go to the studio. My DW wasn't feeling well and neither was our instructor.
  4. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

They turned out great. I use this recipe from the Chevy's Fresh Mex cookbook (though I modify it and, for example, throw in more garlic and oregano. Because I can.)

I love when I make a big pot of something--like black beans or chili--and then can get several nights of meals out of it. I'm lazy like that and do not like to cook every night!
  5. ChaChaMama

@Cornutt--I hope your wife and instructor feel better soon.

Trying to get used to this new look for D-F! I think I'm going to like it, but there will be a bit of a learning curve.

WEDNESDAY:
    Usual AM routine.

8:20--Drop off.
    8:35--At work.
    9, 9:20, 9:40--Student appts.
    10:20-11:20--GLC. Handed out paper topics and discussed expectations. Discussed Marie Stopes' Married Love, a 1918 sex manual.

Lunch.

12:40-2:10--Victorian Lit. Handed out paper topics and discussed expectations. Discussed Jane Eyre, ending with the question of how Rochester rehabilitates himself.

2:15--Student appt.

3--Pick up Child.

Unlike Monday and Tuesday, we actually got some downtime after school! Yay.

Then dinner, getting ready for ballet.

7-8--Primary/Junior Int Ballet. Child was very pleased b/c the instructor placed her front and center during center work. Good for her esteem. In her more adv class, she is one of the least advanced; here she gets to be a role model.
    P.S. The teacher also pointed out her hair as an example of how ballet hair should be done. <Pats Self on back for doing a good bun.>
    I read Junot Diaz's This Is How You Lose Her while Child danced.

Put Child to bed.

Husband came home from Chicago sometime between 1-2 AM. I was not awake.

THURSDAY:
    Thursdays are supposed to be my sleep-in day, but Husband was dog-tired and did not get up, and someone has to make Child's lunch and take her to school. So I nominated me. I did, however, told him that he owed me. ;)

5.5 miles on treadmill. Shower. Quick bite of lunch.

Double Nik lesson!

Knocked a few items off the to-do list, including reading a paper to help resolve an incomplete from Spring 2012.

VagMon interest meeting.

Told Husband some work-related gossip he missed while out of town, which he found most amusing.

Stayed up too late writing in diary.
  6. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

finally getting back to the real world...you can pretty much sum last week up as; drive , dance, drive...and this week as ; sleep

but we do have fun plans for today and tomorrow with friends...and all of next week will be catching up on all of the stuff I was putting off until comp was over...THEN, it will finally be back to life as I know it
  7. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Yesterday, dress nicely for work (yes, there is a difference between everyday work clothing and being honored taken out by all your co-workers) heh heh heh.
    All of us walked to "pete's cafe" on 4th and main...where oh where has this magical restaurant been all my work life? a vintage building, menus that change with the availability of fresh food...and really good friends.
    Magic happens.
    Even people who NEVER attend a lunch for someone - show up...one person DROVE miles and miles in traffic,,,,I was STUNNED, FLABBERGASTED, SURPRISED when he came jogging up the dress with a huge smile....and then..it...happened.....I swore I wouldn't....I promised myself don't don't don't....
    AND THEN...another person....drove...and entered the restaurant....and with that...the tears of joy, happiness and complete udder surprise at the effort to have time with me....became,,,overwhelming.
    I couldn't think of a better way to spend time with people I work closely for and with.
    Discussions, laughter, smiles, tall tales and remember when's abound....
    Walked slowly back to work with everyone...we all posed for a "men in black with sunglasses" movie poster postures......and it was outright HYSTERICAL as people in cars stared at us.
    Good times.....
    Call from pro after I got home,,,,can you babysit number 2 son....YES YES YES...4 month olds are soooo great to play with.
    Head to studio,,,,introduce myself to Michael....and his big blues and great laugh...as he makes every attempt to stand up on my lap. Such fun. wonderful day.
  8. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

3w. That sounds like a boo-hoo worthy day, in a very good way. And a day for laughs, and nostalgia and all sorts of other good stuff. I hope you have many, many more wonderful experiences as you say goodbye to your old life and embrace your new one.
  9. pygmalion

I do not remember the last time I checked in. Thumb nail. (Most days have been similar.)

Work like a bat out of heck. Home. Dinner for DS. Mercifully, he takes the initiative and gets his own homework done without any intervention on my part. I conk out early. Up for a few hours in the middle of the night to design and write up/assemble training materials. Nap. Back to work. Wash rinse repeat.

A few interesting things have happened. One. I went to Barnes and Noble to look for the Malcolm X book ccm recommended. They don't have it, not even in their online ordering system. I find this baffling.

DS's new Vans -- "dress blues" arrive. The boy is wearing size 12s, these days. The darn shoes are as big as he was, when he was a newborn and all swaddled. I have a serious moment of clarity. My baby is a young man, now. More high-school-related stuff happens. It's like I can see him evolving every day. Wow. And, to make it even worse, my GFs with grown children all concur. It goes fast, from here. Once they start high school, it's a blink of an eye until they are grown and gone. *sigh*

I have an interesting run-in with a coworker, in which I realize that I have finally gotten to the place that I've long wanted to be -- a place where I truly have no need to be liked. This has been a long time coming, and I plan to savor it. Very liberating.

Ex comes in town for an overnight visit and I manage to avoid seeing him for even a moment. I also manage to avoid any feelings of angst, whatsoever. This, too, has been a long time coming. Thank you Jesus I'm finally free.

I spend some time in a classroom, which I love, and end most days exhausted in a good way.

I follow the politics around the upcoming US presidential election with great interest. I suspect this may be another one of those years when I will be proud to have exercised my right to vote. Lots of good TV (and online content) out there, right now, if you're into political debate, which I am. Doesn't matter which side folks are on (or should I say facet?) I just love watching and/or engaging in intelligent, well-reasoned political debate, and there's lots of it out there, these days. Speaking of which, @ccm Salmon Rushdie will be a guest on Real Time with Bill Maher next Friday (on HBO.)

Yesterday: I gave a GF my tickets to Six Flags and finally spent an entire evening and night fast asleep. Must make a trip to the gratitude thread.

Today is another day. :)
  10. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

friday...go to a friend's zumba class then teach my own bike and bench class...home to soup and a nap...dh has taken the day off to take more of dtr's "stuff" to Evanston as she moves from her marching band camp dorm room to her regular room...she takes him to a bakery and then "walks him " for me :)......dh comes home and goes to bed as well...lol, son calls to wish us happy anniversary and we ARE in bed, but not as one would have it....we exchange cards and get ready to head into the city...we have dinner with high school friends whom we have not seen for over a decade, at Cafe Ba Ba Reeba, a tapas place, and it was superb.... then we see "Million Dollar Quartet" at the Apollo which we also enjoyed....home around midnight, exchange the warm hand shake of friendship and are again out cold as I had to be at work today at 7 am to teach spin, only to have no one show up...which is not unusual for spin classes on saturday morn at 7 in nice weather.....ug...not sure I have time to go back to bed as we are headed to Cubs game soon with same friends, then off to Harry Carey's for dinner....all of which is stressful b/c I have been dieting....but I will navigate it, even without spin class
  11. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Seriously? 111 degrees yesterday. UGHHHHH.
    Notified of brush fire headed to the Getty Museum...NOOOOOOO, I scream in brain...why oh why!
    I resign self - leaving is not going to be easy....note...Santa Ana Winds are starting...NOOOOOOOO.
    ugh.
    Take a cold shower. Really, not even attempting to go into pool,,,ready myself if I have to go back to work after arriving home,,,monitor fire reports.
    Head out to coaching lesson in Standard.
    Very fun, as I had issues remembering patterns and figures (it's been a year).
    Homeward - Met with Italian Catering service for my open house next Saturday.
    Start looking at odd little places to explore on our 6 week road trip...first leg....northeast to Detroit Henry Ford Museum. hmnmmmmmmmmm.
    Say a silent prayer, Dear God, you know we no longer have our motorhome - which puts DH and I under a small roof of my Acadia suv...for 6 weeks. Please Please Please...Dear Higher Power - give me the patience of a saint while we both are traveling the highways and byways together in our small allocated space and stop me from the urge of taking over the driving or pushing him out of the car so I have alone time. Thank you.
  12. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Oh, well. The best laid plans, and all that.
  13. j_alexandra

I feel your pain; BTDT, for over 20 years. Advice: negotiate time for you to drive. You're used to being in charge of something, you'll need to be in charge of something for at least some of the time. I learned that it's important for both people in the car to be in charge of something. I also learned to say to him, I NEED SOME TIME ALONE and he learned to respect that -- I'd go off for a walk, or go eat by myself, etc.
  14. j_alexandra

new DF software has issues. I'm sure everyone's noticed by now. Kvetching will change nothing, I know, but... just sayin'.
  15. pygmalion

I disagree. I think that kvetching, properly applied, may well help the PTB know what needs fixing and help them get it fixed faster. IMO, the old DF didn't work all that well, when it was first implemented, either. It took time -- IIRC, quite some time -- before lessons were learned, necessary features were put in place, opportunities for improvement were identified and stuff got fixed.

I think it's important (for at least me) to remember that this software change wasn't done on a whim and that it was actually necessary. The old version of DF, from what I understand, was seriously obsolescent. It wasn't really a matter of choosing whether to change; change was going to have to happen in any case. The only questions were when to change and what type of software to change to.

It's kind of like replacing an old car. You know the car is dying. So the choices are how long to hold out before buying a new car and whether to buy a make of car similar to the one you already have or whether to try something completely different. At some point, whether or not to buy a new car is moot. A new car shall be bought, like it or not.
  16. Sagitta

Very true.
  17. Sagitta

hmmm... a new slang word - kvetching...wonder how I have missed this one for so many years.
  18. pygmalion

It's not new, it's Yiddish. lol.
  19. j_alexandra

Seriously? You live in NY State, in a college town, and you've never heard anyone kvetch? You need to come to the city and get kvetched *at*;)
  20. ChaChaMama

FRIDAY:
    AM routine.

8:20--Drop off Child.

9:10--ENG 1101. Quoting vs. paraphrasing. Practiced paraphrasing. I gave them a really challenging paragraph to paraphrase. Mwahaha.

10:20--GLC. Discussed masculinity in the British 1950s and Ian Fleming's Goldfinger.

Lunch and then grading. Today's goal was to grade 6 3-4 page ENG 1101 essays and I accomplished that.
    I also sent some necessary e-mails to sort out things for a lecture I'm responsible for organizing.
    Talked with a colleague whose husband still lives in Ithaca and is coming for the weekend. I let her know the wine festival is this weekend, if they are looking for ideas.

~4:45--Home.

5:30-7:30--Pot luck at Child's school. I hadn't necessarily felt in the mood for this, but it was pretty nice. And Child is so delightfully nice to other kids. She played a lot with the younger sister of the girl who cyberbullied her this summer, a 2nd grader. (Child is in 5th.) You could tell the 2nd grader felt really special that this 5th grade girl wanted to play with her. According to Husband, Child also made sure that all the kids put the things they took out of the supply shed back at the end of the evening (e.g., hippity-hops, balls, etc.)

Finished reading The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey w/Child.

Read some of Junot Diaz's This is How You Lose Her and wrote in diary.
  21. ChaChaMama

SATURDAY:
    Today was a "get stuff done" kind of day. I was at work by 9 AM.
    -Graded 6 essays.
    -Submitted a paper proposal to a conference.
    Home around 1:30. Lunch.

-Changed cat litter box. (Takes all of 3 mins, but no one's fav household task!)

Spent some time with Child before she left to go to sleepover at friend's house.

-Put in 5.5 miles in 1 hr on treadmill. Finished reading Junot Diaz's This is How You Lose Her while I did. Showered.
    -Booked hotel for OSB!

Then, just fun stuff: writing in diary, reading, a little dance practice.