yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

sat...wasted trip to gym....cubs game, dinner at harry careys with friends... visit with son....out cold

2. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Yesterday was a seriously weird day. We were doing some house projects; brother-in-law was here and was milling some door thresholds that my DW wanted, while I was doing some repairs. There was a board on the deck that was curling up at the ends, and I had to go through my disorderely stash of lumber and straighten it all out before I found a replacement board long enough. I had promised myself that I was going to drink a couple of beers after I finished that, but after I finished that and I went to unplug the saw, I noticed that the electrical outlet had pulled loose from its box. Oh, well; fix that and then I'll have lunch and drink my beer.

I knew that that outlet was on a circuit that was protected by a ground-fault interrupter in the utility room. I went in there and pressed the test button on the GFI to trip it, and then I went to work on the loose outlet. It needed a longer screw to hold it in the box. Found one, fixed that, went to reset the GFI. I pressed the reset button and it popped back out. Pressed it again; heard an ugly arcing noise inside the GFI, and it popped again. After that, it would not reset. Well, heck. As luck would have it, all of the cable TV and Internet routing gear is on that circuit. Beer will have to wait.

So I go dig up a spare GFI, turn off the circuit at the breaker, and set about replacing the failed GFI. Those things are always exasperating to install, and it takes me about half an hour. By this time I'm hungry, and I go to grab some lunch, thinking that I'll treat myself to that beer after.

I finish lunch and wander in the den to see what football games are on before I go grab a beer. The phone rings and my DW answer it. I hear her breath catch and then she says "Oh no!" Clearly something is not right. It's our son's girlfriend. He has been in a wreck and she says he is having memory problems and is very agitated. He has lost his memory that his son, our grandson, died back in the spring and he wants to know where he is.

We quickly throw clothes on and jump in the car, telling the brother-in-law to lock the house when he leaves. I drive like a bat out of hell over to our son's apartment. My wife convinces him to go to the hospital with us. It's getting worse; he doesn't remember having gone to to work that morning and he can't figure out why he has work clothes on. He also doesn't remember what month it is. (Although he knows what football game he wanted to watch in the afternoon... go figure.) The four of us pile in the car and I do something I've never done before: I drive with the emergency flashers on, running red lights and going waaaaay over the speed limit. I figure that if a cop sees me, he'll just have to chase me to the ER. Hit traffic, make turns, use back roads, get to the hospital. They've moved the ER again since the last time I had occasion to be there, some years ago. I make a guess and drive around to the other side of the building, and I guess right.

We stop at the ER door and I jump out and tell the attendant that we have someone with a head injury. They get him in a wheelchair and DW and girlfriend go in with him while I park the car. By the time I get back down there, they have managed to get the info and fill out the forms (fortunately, girlfriend thought to grab his wallet and get his insurance card). We sit for a about five minutes and they call him in for triage. I notice that they have taken him ahead of some other people who were already there. DW and I watch the door of the triage room, while girlfriend goes in with him. Twenty minutes later they open the door and he's not there -- the room has a door to a back hallway, and they've taken him for a CAT scan.

Hours pass. Girlfriend comes and tells us they have taken him to a room. Apparently they administered something to him to reduce the brain swelling that he must have been experiencing. A bit later she comes back. The CAT scan is negative for skull fractures; the swelling is coming and and his memory is starting to return. Another hour later, and they discharge him with prescriptions. We drive him and GF back to their place; he's doing better by the time we get there. GF got him settled and then went out and got his prescriptions filled.

It was dark by the time we got home. Our son calls later and says he's doing better. We heard from him again this morning; he has a hell of a headache and still has little memory of anything that happened yesterday before the CAT scan. We don't know why he wasn't taken to the hospital after the accident. Apparently the tow truck driver recognized that he had a head injury, made him call his GF, and stayed with him until she showed up. The police gave him a tick for not having insurance, even though he does; apparently he couldn't remember if he had insurance or not after the accident. We're going to get an accident report next week, and if I find out that the police didn't call an ambulance, I'm going to be speaking to the city council about it.

3. fascination

my goodness...glad he is doing better

4. fascination

doing today now as my pillow is calling...

wake having slept 11 hours...could have slept longer...it has been a long, fun, yet eshausting two days...

other than changing the litter boxand making tacos for son, I have been pretty much horisontal the entire day...what started as very bad seasonal allergies, seems to be morphing into a fairly respectable cold

5. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

The thing I forgot to put in at the end is that it was amazing, after I thought about it later, that all of those little things conspired against me ever getting to the beer. Had I drank, I would not have been in shape to do all of that crazy driving, and if we had gotten him to the hospital much later than we did, I'm not sure how it would have turned out.

6. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Yesterday, gee it's only ohhhh 104 degrees instead of 111.
    Call from DH driving with DS,,they made it to Austin (acutally Hutto) but grandkids are jumping all over their "uncle" cause, according to them, he's more fun.. lol.
    Clean out stuff, stuff and more stuff.
    Re-organize guest room, entry way, coat closet, grandson's hang out room.....the totally toss and give-away mode is in full blown effort.
    Miss classes at studio, if I don't finish this - it will never get finished.
    FINALLY, mop hardwood floors,,,,trash is in the trash,,,donations dropped off....ahhhhhhh
    the entire house feels lighter!
    Put feet up at 6:30 p.m with a sparkling water, look around,,,and smile......it took me all day
    but sooooo worth it.
    Won't DH be surprised...hahahahaha. That his coats are actually in the coat closet for the first
    time in 30 years. :)

7. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Oh my goodness, cornutt! Not sure what to say. I am glad you never got that beer. I am glad your son is doing better. And yeah. You're right. That was a very weird day. I dunno. It's amazing how, sometimes, the stars just seem to align so that everything is in the right place when it needs to be there.

I have to admit that I got a little chuckle out of your decision that any state troopers would have to chase you to the ER. As a parent, I can certainly identify with that. All the demons of hades wouldn't be able to get between me and my son's well-being. What's a little ol state trooper? Pssh.

Please check in and let us know how is is, when you get a chance. :cool:

8. pygmalion

Ah. Now I see how the double posts are happening. Headed over to the forum software thread to kvetch. *grin*

@sagitta: See how useful the word kvetch can be? Absolutely priceless! lol.

9. pygmalion

Why do I get the feeling that you're going to be a force to be reckoned with, when you get into full retirement mode? Hmm? *grin*

10. pygmalion

Saturday:

Spend day making still more training materials. Never too much. Just kidding! Actually. Never too customized. The chick who sets the training schedule changes it every time. The length of time allotted changes every time. The training philosophy changes every time. The mix of people in the class changes every time. So is it any wonder that I spend training time behind the eight ball, struggling to keep folks engaged? I enjoy the heck out of myself though.

Other angst-inducing experiences better left behind the curtain of "this is the internet, so better not said, lest I hear about it from a complete stranger later." lol. I'm a slow learner, but I do get it, eventually.

Sunday:

Make puppets!!! Gigantic yay and SO MUCH FUN. DS teaches me to use a glue gun. I teach DS a couple of hand sewing stitches. It's groovy.

This also leads to a discussion of the role of women in certain societies. The puppets are for pre-AP geography, and DS has been assigned to make characters representing a Muslim country. We create a Dad, and Granddad and a little girl. It's when I insist that we go to Joanne's for black broadcloth to make a burqa and hijab for Mom that the conversation gets interesting.

This also triggers a memory from childhood, when I borrowed the exact same book about the art of puppetry every other week for YEARS. I fantasized about making puppets and having puppet shows. BUT I had a twin sister who thought my ideas were dumb. AND I lived in a family that encouraged twins to be the same person in two bodies. So I never did pursue puppet-making as a hobby. Yesterday, I discovered that it's not too late. This may be the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

Other than that, not much.

Watched all four Indiana Jones movies. (Still can't figure out what they were thinking, with the second movie. What a piece of junk!) Helped DS with French homework. I realized that the French he is being taught is much less formal than the French I was taught in high school. I think this is a good thing. Bought school supplies on clearance. Say what you will. One can never have enough colored pencils. Adapted a couple of recipes to crock pot cooking. One success. One epic fail. *shrug* Ordered the Malcolm X book from Amazon. Watched Tony Robbins sit in for Piers Morgan. I love his public speaking style but am not much of a fan of his interviewing style. But whatev.

All in all, a good weekend. I cannot complain.

11. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

OMG, cornutt! That sounds like an absolutely terrifying day. I'm so glad your son seems to have turned the corner. You definitely get the SUPER-DAD cape for your quick and instinctive reactions. Yikes, yikes, yikes!!!

12. 3wishes

Cornutt, I KNOW all too well - that scenario - you've been through - What a sigh of almost-relief for you and yours. HUG, me

13. 3wishes

Yesterday, up early, like oh dark my goodness early.
    Decide, I'm not dealing with the heat, yards today.
    I can tell, the Santa Ana winds are up, even at 5:30 a.m. it's a warm warm wind.
    Head outside with pruners, turf builder with weed control, hose, mulch.
    Spray the poor lawn that screamed "help me" under that obpressive heat wave this past week.
    Clip back lavendar that has bolted.
    Deal out Basil leaves to neighbors from my back yard - love the smell of basil.
    Hard prune back the butterfly bushes.
    Feed the roses.
    Mulch backyard.
    Rinse out wine cooler.
    YES! Done before "heat" sets in.
    Head out to Bed Bath and Beyond. Finally find a silverware organizer that fits my drawer space.
    Purchase a few new cooking essentials and small items.
    Note...a huge huge black and white photo of Hwy 395 leadning to snow covered Mt. Whitney.
    Debate with self - "buy it? leave it? where would I put it?" Great photo.
    Head home, clean out fridge, freezer and pantry.
    Feeling good about state of house and yards, make plans for big yard sale in November.
    Call from pro - chit chat - lots of laughter.
    Pull out champaign bottles from chiller to fridge - getting ready for retirement party~!
    Husband calls, dropped DS off at Austin airport, believes DS is a sucker for twin nieces and nephew.
    Pooring rain in Tx
    DH asked "what was your day like?" secret smile for myself - reply "oh, nothing really".
    lol, snicker.

14. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

How can any gym trip be wasted? Just the act of going meant something. It all starts with not going once, and then the next time it is easier to skip. But, then you exercise so much that this probably does not apply to you. ;)

15. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

It is great how things work out. All those cliched sayings, such as "what happened was meant to be" do have some truth. They are reasons why they have been used so much. I'm really happy that everything turned out well for your son, health wise. And good luck on the ticket issue.

16. fascination

class was cancelled

17. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

<puts on cranky hat> Wrote a long post detailing, excruciatingly, the past week. Clicked "post reply". Server did not respond. Poof! Gone! Yes, I know I can write my deathless prose, copy it to the clipboard, save it, and have it available just in case the server does not respond and my post disappears. This is an unnecessary duplication of effort. <removes cranky hat and posts this also in the appropriate forum>

So, the Monarch Notes version of my life since whenever I last posted:
    Airport runs to drop off/pick up family members
    gyro, rolfing, lessons, theater
    Celebratory dinner for father's 92nd birthday
    Unexpected pleasure of an evening of good talk with a friend who has moved far away and arrived here unexpectedly
    More marital metadiscussions, which did not culminate in deploying blunt objects, for which I am patting myself on the back *repeatedly*
    Social dancing
    Dinner in the city with friends from way, way, waaaaaaay out of town; wandered through Greenwich Village with them, fountain playing, musicians doing their thing, Street Theater up the wazoo; they, as tourists, were delighted

18. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Agreed.

While I agree with Pyg that specific, target kvetching can provide useful feedback which will help to improve the site overall...kvetch kvetch kvetch. I understand it's a work in progress, I understand that complaining without constructive criticism is useless and annoying. (It's a good part of my job to do just that, so I get the process. I really do.) Doesn't mean I have to embrace the change.

...aaaaand this is why I'm known as the wet blanket at work... ;-)

19. pygmalion

Among other places. *ducks and runs* :D

Yep. The old DF was as comfortable as an old shoe -- like my beloved Bandolino black patent leather pumps that looked like stilettos and felt like sneakers ... and that were literally (Yes, P. I do mean literally, and not in the annoyingly hyperbolic use of the word ...) uh ... literally falling apart before I finally retired them.

I get it, and the need for a good kvetch. But there's no going back, so may as well make the best of it.

That being said, if I lose or double-post one more long post, I am going to be really mad. *pouty pout, stompity-stomp.* :p

20. fascination

doing today now as I think it is going to be pretty uneventful hereafter....

participate in 8 oclock class, then teach 9 oclock step....took most of the first class just to loosen up...head home, eat lunch, crash out again...cannot get enough sleep these days...do some laundry and dishes, order some material for my fitness association ceus...
    set up some appointments for engaged couples and schedule the Fall grief support series....expecting a quiet evening with dh which has not happened since...well....August