yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. Ice Bucket

Ice Bucket Member

I've been thinking about something like that for work. I spend all day sitting at a desk, usually doing computery things, and I don't think it's doing me any good. I always seem to have tight shoulders. I've considered getting a stool. I'm a tremendous fidget at the best of times - REALLY don't like sitting still - so maybe a balance ball would be a good idea.

I'll go for Illicit Bacon. Seems appropriate.

2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Yesterday: Another day of lolling about, "resting" and trying to get better, where resting equals self-medication every four hours and fitful sleep interspersed with coughing, wheezing and dripping all sorts of unseemly stuff.

Watch a lot of TV, just because I can't concentrate on anything more mentally taxing. See two thought-provoking TV interviews. One was on Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel. Magic Johnson. Wow. It's been twenty-one years since he was diagnosed with HIV. It is mind-boggling and inspirational to see that someone who was given (what at the time, we thought was ) a death sentence would bounce back, amass a $750 million fortune and, more importantly, build wealth by doing good in urban communities. I had no idea that he was behind the movement to get Starbucks in the hood. The movie theaters I knew about. Very, very inspirational. He could have given up and died, and I'm sure many lesser men would have.

The other interview was on 60 Minutes with Arnold Schwarzenegger (sp?) I'm not sure I'm glad to have seen it. I've always admired Schwarzenegger's intestinal fortitude, especially in his governance of California, where he made some brave choices that were way out of line with his party's platform. I really believe that he did what he thought was right, regardless of politics. I admire that, even though I did not agree with all of this choices. But wow. In the interview, he came across to me as narcissistic in the very worst way, even though I thought Leslie Stahl went easy on him. Becoming "successful" while hurting friends and family at the expense of your own agenda? Not cool. Hmm.

But you know. All the "success literature" suggests that one important way to get started on or continue along the road to success is to read about people who've achieved success, whatever that means, and to learn from them, warts and all.

Call/email/check in on some GFs.

Medicate (the nighttime version.)

Zzz.

3. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

It's been a while. I've been busy.

Saturday: Work at 8am.
    Work until 5pm. Buy wine somewhere in there.
    Home...friend arrives. We order pizza. We drink the wine.
    Call taxi to get into town...we are celebrating BF's and another housemate's birthdays. Taxi arrives. BF says "hold on...I have to polish my shoes"
    Taxi accumulates almost $10 of fares before BF eventually comes out.

To town...a "gentlemen's club" first, for the boys (and me! XD ). Good fun. Relatively cheap drinks, which was surprising, and nice. BF is a bit tipsy, and tips the waitress $10. Wow. Surprised to see that lots of people are giving the dancers $10 and $20 notes. Everyone has a good time.

To another club...haven't been here for a while. Good fun. Good dancing...housemate with birthday and my friend hook up! Woohoo! We have been trying to sort of get them together, as they are a pretty good match, but both really shy.

Eventually, at around 3-4am, taxi home. Good thing there are 6 of us to split the $60 bill...
    Stay up playing strip poker...sort of a theme for the night, really. :D
    To bed, at about 5.30am. It is light outside, and birds are singing. Colour me too tired to care.

Sunday: Sleep until about midday. Dr Who. Stay in bed all day, watching Angel, Star Trek...lots of things. Eventually make a butterscotch pudding because it's officially BF's birthday!
    Eat dinner.
    Doze a bit.
    Work at midnight. Uneventful shift, really. Pretty sun in the morning.

Today: Home at about 9am. Sleep. Go visit BF's new baby niece at about 4pm. She's 4 days old...very cute.
    Dinner, in the form of stir fry.
    Swing dance! We learn Lindy, which is a change from the ECS we've been learning so far. BF seems to pick up the basic steps quite well. BF gets quite frustrated with all the ladies who are trying to backlead him because he's taking longer than everyone else to figure out what he's doing. We will practise more at home. Really fun class, though I'm really not sure whether it's worth $15, quality-of-instruction-wise.
    Drive home. Discuss dance.

Play on computer. Read things. Do last-minute homework for all my classes tomorrow.

Attached Files:

4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

sunday....too many chores, not enough practice, also a trip to south bend to see nephew's foot ball game, then an underwhelming dinner with dh at a restuarant that didn't know how to make a proper margarita and were painfully slow in serving....home to channel surf

5. fascination

summary= too much housework and not enough practice, trip to south bend for nephew's football game, then dinner at a place that makes a poor margarita and had incredibly slow service...day got gobbled up...spend rest of it on couch channel surfing...

6. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

I need to get a balance ball too. Keep meaning to....

7. Sagitta

Taking advantage of the double post and simply posting about something else as the edit function now works:

Sunday: 8:00am to chop red onions and cilantro, and go to grocery store to buy sour cream for chicken chili I made last night.
    9:50am to 1:30pm The Meal at the Vineyard Church - short talk plus sharing a meal. My chicken chili and toppings went over well. Helped out with connection cards etc, connected with people....
    1:30pm to 5:15pm Back home, laundry, chilling, get ready to go out
    5:15 -6:20pm drive to hear a small latin band, Salsa Libre, $5 cover
    6:20 to 9:30pm Danced to the music, and provided feedback to both band (Good salsa and merengue, ok cha cha cha, but you really need to work on bachata.) and restaurant (Sticky dance floor, and as you are trying out dance again you need to work on that.)
    9:30 to 10:20pm drive back home
    10:20 to 1:30am shower, eat, relax, talk to mom....and then bed

8. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

DW and I actually got some practice in together! An hour and a half, working a bit on almost everything to do. Then a combined lunch/dinner, and then grocery shopping.

9. fascination

mon-teach step, drive to indy...knat whoopin'...drive home

10. pygmalion

What!?! No Bengay and box-o? :eek: :D

11. fascination

there was bengay and there was wine...there was no dinner and the wine was not box-o...

12. pygmalion

*Whew* My illusions remain un-shattered. ;)

13. fascination

today ...which will be closing shortly...

wake at 9....ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    piddle, pet care, practice....consultations with pastor I work for regarding some of my couples...lunch....good long soak...more practice...pick up dh's shirts...dinner....

14. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

"hey you are missing your lock step!"
    "what lock step?
    "the one after the spin"
    "huh?"
    "ya know... spin, lock step"
    "which spin?"
    "the one before your lock step that somehow magically turned into a chasse?"
    "what chasse?"
    "omg, you don't have a chasse"
    "yeah but you just said chasse"
    "i know, but you don't have a chasse, you have a lock step"
    "where?"

that pretty much sums up my day.

dancelvr, j_alexandra and cornutt like this.
  15. fascination

16. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Monday:

Ballet; first time in over a month; owie
    Bath, to offset the effects of ballet
    Lesson
    Dinner
    Group class

Tuesday:

Gyro
    Lesson; my legs still function, which I find amazing, after ballet, lesson, group class, and gyro over the past 24 hours
    Go see X; get some work done
    Rolfer
    Shopping; get new water dish for cat, which she will not be able to push all over the floor, spilling water as she goes, and then turn over just for fun; do I know how to do retail therapy, or what?
    Make din plans with BFF; wait for her call; wait; wait; ok, maybe next week
    Eat leftovers
    Read
    Z

17. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

BTW, I never, ever thought I'd feel this way, but after reading 3wishes' roadtrip blog, I'm getting nostalgic for life on the road.

Somebody shoot me, please.

3wishes likes this.
  18. fascination

I don't have a gun....but I'll gladly drive your butt to Oregon and back and we will see how that works for you :)

3wishes and j_alexandra like this.
  19. Sagitta

Me too! Never liked the idea of being on the road, but I must plan a road trip for some time in the future. ;)

20. Ice Bucket

Ice Bucket Member

Wake up feeling rather wobbly. That cold I thought I was developing last night has arrived. Plan to consume enough caffeine for nobody else at work to notice.
    Start working day with an e-mail of complaints/criticisms/feedback from a new database user. *sigh* I suppose this is what beta testing is for. Think peaceful thoughts, address her concerns one at a time and e-mail her back. Am interrupted halfway through by a colleague whose laptop won't read from a flash drive and then by another who seems to have broken Microsoft Outlook. Work round the first problem and fix the second.
    Find that the cottage cheese I bought for lunch tastes of nothing. Rather disappointing.
    Write some broken code. Fail to work out why it's broken. Eat bright pink, glittery cupcake. :)
    Home to find that everybody's eaten their dinner and mine's in the oven. Sausages. :)
    Round to niece-by-proxy's house, with DP, to babysit while n-b-p's parents are at a dancing lesson. Play Universe Sandbox and have fun watching what would happen if the Milky Way and Andromeda collided. :eek: