yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

9:30--Left house.
    11-3--MARYLAND RENAISSANCE FESTIVAL. Dressing up, duelling, archery, jousting, etc.
    Made a pot of turkey chili.

8:20--Drop off Child.

9:10--ENG 1101. Debate on lowering the drinking age.

10:20--GLC. Discussion of Margaret Atwood's The Handmaids Tale.

Lunch break/grading.

12:40--Victorian Literature. Wuthering Heights. Hand back essays.

2:15-4--Office hours, grading.

4:30ish--Left work.
    Extremely upset to learn today was Picture Day at Child's school. I now remember getting the e-mail. Child wears super-cute outfits about 1/2 the time, sometimes with matching hair accessories. Today, however, she was wearing an all-black Darth Vader long sleeve t-shirt from the "Boys" section of the catalog. (I obviously have no problem with Child wearing a "boys" shirt, since I bought it, but I wouldn't have chosen it for Picture Day.) I recognize that in the grander scheme of things this doesn't matter at all, but I love picking out an outfit and doing Child's hair nicely for picture day.

6:10--Met Child and Husband at skating rink, where Child had just had a private lesson.

6:15-10:45--Drove to Paramus, NJ. Checked into the Comfort Inn and Suites on Rt. 17.

A little before 6--Child wakes me up.

7:30--Out on pavement waiting for B&N to open. (We are not the craziest people; some people slept overnight in their car!)

9--B&N opens. Pay for two signed copies of Rick Riordan's Mark of Athena, which will be given to us that evening at the reading. Get our arm bracelets AND TWO cool promotional t-shirts!!!

Child buys some reading material for the day. Okay, 10 books.

10:30-11:45--I take a nap, as I will be driving late that night.

12--To Hoboken in pouring rain. Out to lunch. Then to Crumbs to buy cupcakes and mini-cupcakes for class.

Best Buy. Get CD player so can listen to audiobook on way home. (We don't have a built-in CD player in either car.)

4:15ish--Back to get a place on line for Rick Riordan presentation.

7-8--RICK RIORDAN presentation and reading!!! Very funny and fun.

8:15-12:30--Long, tiring drive home. Worth it.
    I <3 Mommy-Daughter Adventures.
  2. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

AM routine is a little more painful since I didn't get to sleep until around 1 AM.

9:10--ENG 1101. Debate on whether the SAT should be made optional as an admissions requirement. Learn that about half my class took both the SAT and the ACT. Wow.

10:20--GLC. Handmaid's Tale. Really good discussion. I love this class.

12:40--Victorian Literature. Browning's "Porphyria's Lover" and "My Last Duchess." One of my absolute favorite units of the class.

2:15--Office hours. Students seem very concerned about their grades and progress.

3--Pick up Child.

Unwind a bit. Read some Mark of Athena.

6:30--Take Child to dance.

8--Home, listening to C-SPAN radio. Child is very engaged and says that when we get home, I should run and turn this on the tv because "I'm pretty interested!"

Listen to debate, with interruption to put Child to bed at 9:30 (she would prefer to stay up, but since her sleep was interrupted the night before, I want to make sure she gets at least a semi-decent night's sleep).

To bed at soon as we're done watching the debate.
  3. Ice Bucket

Ice Bucket Member

Much coldier than yesterday. Glad I'm not due to go into work. Play a lot of Runescape and watch two episodes of David Attenborough's Planet Earth series on DVD. Totter down to pharmacist to restock on Lemsip; pop into minimart next door and buy big bar of chocolate to go with it. :D Make it through dancing lesson mostly by sheer bloody-mindedness. Add a bit onto the waltz. :) Come home to find housemate has made his version of Southern-fried chicken: lovely. :)
  4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member to lessons, tired and frustrated....lessons improve to job....facilitate Grief Group.....large group, going to be alot of deep work to do there....home exhausted but dh is in a cuddley mood...who am I to burst his bubble ?....out cold before bengay
  5. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Work: Dear Lord. When will the insane pace slow down? When? Run some reports and realize that what I've feared all along is actually true. I am twice as productive as many of my peers and getting ZERO recognition for same. TDNWMH.

Find out that another GF has resigned. I am happy for her (I suspect an as-yet-unannounced pregnancy. Sister has giant boobs, these days, and a wobbly walk. Deny all you want. You can't hide the walk, you preggos out there.) But when I pull her aside, I find that there's also something much more sinister involved. T(also) DNWMH. Any time a forty-something Black woman starts talking about God releasing her from some unnamed thing, that is not good. *sigh*

Home: Raise chillin to a whole new level. (I can't afford to get sick again.) It's the week after DS' grades were submitted, so teachers are in laid-back mode. Not a moment too soon. Another week of monitoring 27 hours of homework would have brought me to my knees.

Realize once again that adolescence must be really hard. DS wants the new Pokemon game that will be released Sunday, but he refuses to go to Gamestop, his usual place, because the cashiers might "judge" him. (Pokemon is too juvenile for cool high school DS's image.) Yep He wants to play the game, but is stuck in that I'm too old, but I'm too young limbo. I remember it well. One of these days, DS and I will have to talk about the role of cashiers in ones life. Really. Who cares if they judge? Of course, I had to get over this countless decades ago. Buying feminine products at the grocery store helps you get over it on the quick-fast. Finally. Being a woman pays off. *grin*

Other stuff: Keep a close eye on politics. Win tickets to State Fair. Read trashy novels (I haven't done this in years. Why in the world did I ever stop? :D) Plan the last potluck of the year. Fear that it may be the last ever. Friends are dropping like flies. Toxic work environment. *sigh*

ION. Break all except one of my once-gloriously-long, natural nails. This is what happens when you don't have time to top up your nail polish every day and you do the grunt work at home (Note to self: DS is the grunt around here.) *sigh*

I think that may be about it *shrug*
  6. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member to Y to teach spin...we are cancelling the class next week so no one shows....thanks boss...come home and practice instead...finsish a bunch of other household to south bend to spend time with in-laws which has gotten less unpleasant as they home, dh conks out...quality time with dtr....
  7. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Wednesday: total blank.
    Thursday: contractor comes to start painting the library; we talk a lot, look at the job I expand the job to two other rooms
    Fast forward to evening: father has a not-quite-conniption about my plans to paint two other rooms; clearly, there is much discussion to be had here with father, but I think I'm gonna lose this one
    To HFKAM to pack and ship
    To lunch at Indian restaurant
    Evening: to comp to watch the Standard; take a dance buddy who is a social dancer and unaware of the nuances of politics in the BR community; she learns a lot, as do I
  8. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Pick up Blond German Friend and go to comp to watch smooth
    Back to comp; watch some Latin
    Home; cook cook cook
    BFF and her husband come for dinner; we polish off a mountain of food, a bottle of pinot grigio, and then crack out the champagne; thank god for the mountain of food, b/c otherwise, I'd probably have the hangover from hell
  9. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Did our local comp yesterday. (I guess we can't call it a studio comp anymore; this year was the first year at a hotel.) Did an ungodly number of heats, with four different partners. DW and I had some problems getting going in the morning, and I kind of let it get into my head and I didn't dance most of the smooth very well. My best smooth of the day was the three-dance I did with one of the instructors, near the end of the session. Rhythm was much better. Did a last-chance dance with another pro, a tango which ended with me picking her up and carrying her out the door. :D Great pro show! Got home near 11:00 PM. Arm and leg cramps all night. Need some salty popcorn today.
  10. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Sat: Lazy day at home, watching youtube videos and doing other stuff. Night Latin dance an hour way from 9:30 to 12:30am. Good mix of ballroom, swing, and other dancers. I left early as I had an early start the next day, today, Sunday.
  11. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

I have six shotguns JA, but maybe just an air pressure rifle will wake you up from the road trip memory lane bit. wink, hugs.
    j_alexandra likes this.
  12. pygmalion

Start by being harassed by DS. What are we going to do today? Translation: "I'm bored. Entertain me." Suddenly, I have had it. As much as I want to avoid any statements that start with, "When I was your age" or end with "you young whipper-snapper," I am thoroughly fed up with DS expecting me to do stuff for him and with him all the time. So I ask him to make a list of all the things that have to get done this weekend, including rest and relax. Then I ask him to diagram when each thing will get done. IOW, I set him up for the sucker punch. When he has finished, I ask him where my rest and relaxation is supposed to fit in. Somehow, he has managed to fit everything into the diagram except time for me. His R&R does make it to the schedule, btw. My R&R is the only thing that falls off. Surprise, surprise. For once, he gets it. Self-absorbed teenager or not, he gets the fact that my working all the time while he plays all the time is unbalanced and unfair.

He goes for a walk, to "clear his head." I, ever vigilant, hand him his camera, on the way out the door. Might as well get your journalism assignment done, while you're clearing your head. Two birds with one stone and so on. *grin*

While he's gone, I start to think, too. When I was his age, I had an intact family, including a twin sister. Built-in annoyance, but built-in entertainment, too. Hmm. Must ponder how to get things more into balance, for DS and me both. Great. Now there's something new to worry about.

Spend balance of Saturday relaxing while harassing DS to get his piles of homework done today so that he can enjoy his Columbus Day off.

Sunday. Up late-ish. Clean. Laundry. To Gamestop, where disaster is averted. The cashiers who are working today don't know DS, so he doesn't have to admit publicly that he likes a "baby" game.

Barnes and Noble so DS can browse a billion books before he picks one. I read Entertainment Weekly (shame! I know) But I rationalize that it's really not all that bad, if the feature article is about The Big Bang Theory. The guy who plays Sheldon is actually not bad looking, when he's not in character. Think latter day Urkel. Ridiculously geeky, when in character. But, when out of character, really not bad.

Grocery store on the way home for large piles of snacks. Not sure why, but DS eats even more than usual, when he has a day off.

DS asks me to proofread his English paper -- a short story in which he was assigned to work on character development. Not bad, if a bit over-the-top creepy. I see elements of the butterfly and Mr Chou (i.e. Where does the dream end and and where does reality begin?) I also see lots of bad grammar. Hint: Changing from first person to third person mid-sentence is usually not a good idea. lol. But, all in all, the kid is an imaginative writer.

Dust off resume while finally catching the first half of Friday's Real Time With Bill Maher. (I kept channel surfing and catching only the second half hour or so.) Finally a balanced show -- a liberal, a moderate and a conservative, all on the same panel. Now that's my kind of political conversation.

Dinner. Assemble dinner elements for tomorrow, in anticipation of crockpot in the morning.

Chill. Chill some more.

13. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

sunday...fake christmas at my dad's before he and new wife leave for florida, all major unpleasantness averted, but it drudges up epic emotions for me and I have the worst evening I have had in 6 years WRT missing my mom and the life we had before her death... and dh and I, weary due to having had no peace over the past few weeks, both nearly implode on one another...but we mange to eventually snuggle up and de-compress so the weekend at least ends the right way
  14. Ice Bucket

Ice Bucket Member

Show day! :)

Get up in good time, spend half an hour playing Runescape over breakfast and end up rushing. For goodness' sake. :mad: How do I do this? DP texts while I'm gathering costumes into a pile to say that she's running late. Decide I have time to make lunch after all. Halfway through making lightning-fast cheese sandwich, DP texts again to say she has lunch for me. Manage, by the grace of I don't know what, to shave at top speed without cutting myself, pick everything up and spin out of the door as DP arrives.

Share a dressing room with several small boys, one of whom (an Irish dancer) has brought green underpants for the occasion and is waving them about. :p Another is having a major problem with his tie and decides to punch it into submission. I tell him this is as good a strategy as any.

Both dances go well. I think they like us. Also recieve an unexpected and very welcome donation to the charity I work for. :)

Go home and spend a welcome people-free hour hiding in the bedroom.

Have an expedition out into the nearby countryside after dinner, to look for the Draconid meteor shower. We lie on walls and see several meteors and a satellite.

Finish the day by jumping up at the wrong moment and giving my head an almighty wallop on the ceiling above my bed. Hit it so hard that I delay going to bed by half an hour to make sure I haven't got concussion. Develop a fantastic bump. :rolleyes:
  15. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Hm...lately, in brief.

Monday: work on application and get it submitted.

Tuesday: er...something. Oh yeah, catch up on other work stuff that got shoved aside by the crisis known as "life."

Wednesday: shot to hell, as I'm totally out of sorts after dealing with my [expletive deleted] boss. Crimeny, that woman can be a real witch sometimes.

Thursday: stuff. Got back on track with long-term project, discuss misc work stuff with my programmer, who I haven't seen in two weeks, desperately try to avoid drama queen-induced b.s. drama at work. Who has the TIME for that crap?!?!

Friday: cuddle with DH, then develop massive muscle spasm in my back which leaves me utterly incapacitated. As in, I couldn't sit up at all or turn my head--had to get out of bed by rolling off the edge onto all fours, and then standing up. Try rest, try heat, try ice, try long hot shower--no luck. Schedule a massage with local massage chain, somehow mange to drive myself there. End up with tears streaming as soon as chica touched my back. Not good. A while later--no significant relief. A half hour after it ends, I'm right back where I stared.

Manage to get a massage with my usual guy, who has fixed this same problem before and has never failed me yet. Lie down until I have my appointment. Drive. An hour later I am horribly horribly sore, but I can move again. He warns me that I'll be sore for a few days. (And I have been. Can't sleep on my back for it feeling bruised.) Hang out with friend for a while, then hang out with other friends. Warm-ish pool, then very hot hot tub, lather rinse repeat. Ahhh... OK, sure, so I was told to ice my back for 24-48 hours to reduce the inflammation, and I'm basically doing the exact opposite by sitting in a hot tub. Oh well. It's worth it. Home, bed, z.

Saturday: Renn Faire! Then dinner out, then home, bed, z. (DH and I concede that we're getting old and boring.)

Sunday: Head to SILs to see her and new baby. Bring lunch stuff, since I figure she's not up for cooking. DH does not go with me, which does not amuse me, but whatever. DH's parents turn up--good thing I brought lots of food! Watch football with the inlaws. Joy of joys. I keep myself occupied by unloading the dishwasher, doing dishes, emptying trash, taking out recycling, etc. If only there were other house chores to do. Thankfully, SIL/BIL are not offended that no, I do not want to hold the babby. No, I will not feed her. Offer to do laundry instead.

Home. Hang out with DH, watch some netflix-tv. Bed, z.

Today: up, shower, head out. Go to VS. Yay! Grocery shopping...yay! Home to put away groceries and make/can chicken soup. Er...yay?

Z as soon as it's finished.
  16. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

today...teach step, pack, drive...lessons...ow...bed soon
  17. cornutt

Yesterday... day after comp, spend lots of day stretching, eating salty popcorn, and stretching to try to keep legs and arms from cramping. Spent some time playing with a metal shear I bought. It cuts .125 aluminum sheet pretty decently. Worked on some music for a showcase routine, and did some repair and rearranging of my modular synth.

Today, government holiday... they closed the gate that is usually open on holidays. Had to drive about 10 miles out of the way to find a gate that was open. :rolleyes: Very quiet -- I was the only person in our area for most of the day. Turned off the overheads and worked with just my desk light on. That was pleasant.
  18. cornutt

Wow, Peach, I remember you talking about back problems, but I didn't realize it had gotten this bad. My sympathies.
  19. pygmalion

Monday: Sleep like a log. Of course. Slept terribly all weekend. On the first day that I have to get up and get out, I'm out cold until the alarm goes off. Yay.

Tiptoe around because DS is asleep. He has the day off. I don't. Yay. At least he doesn't wake up and get underfoot, reminding me that he has the day off. THAT gets on my nerves. He finds it amusing.

Work. Bond with GFs, especially the one whose last day will be Friday. Spend a moment reflecting on how wonderful this group of women is and how much they have added to my life, in one of the most challenging times of my life. Thank God for GFs. Seriously.

And, as an added bonus, GF who's leaving reminds me of a funny DS-ism. Bung shui. A year or so ago, DS told me that our place was disorganized and that we needed to create a feeling of bung shui. Apparently, DS had been mis-hearing feng shui. He thought it was bung, not feng. What a hoot! That's the beauty of GFs. They remember cute things about your kids that you have forgotten.

Home. Get DS and set off to parent teacher conferences. Bottom line: DS is a kind and respectful boy who is making the effort to get his work done and turned in on time. He needs to assert himself and ask for more help, and everybody is confident that his Bs will turn into As. IOW. No surprises here.

He does have some very nice teachers, though, with whom I make a pact to irritate DS by corresponding regularly. lol. Teachers and parents with email. Every kid's nightmare.

btw I finally see the neon school-issue calculators DS has been telling me about. OMG. They are rain-slicker yellow. I've never seen anything quite so ... yellow. I'm guessing that the school doesn't have a lot of worries about theft. Nobody would want a calculator that ugly. *shudder*

Home. Crockpot pot roast turns out yummylicious. Even DS concurs. I <3 crockpot cooking in a big way.

DS gives me a cultural update. Gangnam Style -- something to do with a metrosexual Korean guy dancing around like he's horseback riding. "It's main stream, Mom. Get with the program." Apparently, Gangnam Style has gone viral and is number one on the iTunes chart. Whatever. It's totally fun, so I am compelled to dance around the house, Gangnam style. This prompts DS to burst into peals of laughter. "What's so funny, Little Boy?" Surprisingly, DS is not intimidated by my implied idle threats.

Monitor homework. Watch Major Crimes (It's growing on me, even though I feel traitorous to Brenda Leigh lol)

Read another trashy novel. Procrastinate about cleaning up. There's always tomorrow.

Relax. Zzz.
  20. Ice Bucket

Ice Bucket Member

Wonderful image! :D Gangnam style is a big hit over here too. I love it. I think the bloke dances a bit like I do in my kitchen. :p