yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

@Peaches--Have you ever been prescribed a prescription strength muscle relaxant like Flexeril (cyclobenzeprine)? The two times I hurt my back badly, I was prescribed that and it really helped.

2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

note to self....ask about aforementioned drugs

3. ChaChaMama

I haven't posted on this thread in several days. The highlight reel:

THURSDAY:
    -Met with external review team for Chemistry Dept.
    -Worked out.
    -Lunchtime workshop: Talking about Writing with Students with Disabilities.
    -Got filling replaced at dentist.
    -Took my class to see "Hairspray" at the college.

FRIDAY:
    -ENG 1101--Exercise on writing to different audiences.
    -GLC--Chuck Palahniuk's Fight Club.
    -Graded stuff.
    -Shopped for Child's bday party.

SATURDAY:
    -Cleaned up house.
    -Wrote in diary.
    -Dogfest. (Baltimore County Humane Society event.)
    -Child's BFF came to sleep over. (She had just been a RenFest, and had another couple friends there as well. Maybe you passed them, Peaches!)

SUNDAY:
    -Child's bday party! Bounce house, two crafts, some fun games. Kids had a great time despite the weather not being ideal. I was so pleased!

MONDAY:
    -Last minute prep for big endowed lecture event I organize.
    -8 individual ENG 1101 appts.
    -GLC--Fight Club.
    -Victorian Lit--Browning's "The Bishop Orders His Tomb at St. Praxed's Church" and "Andrea del Sarto."
    -Hit panic button when I realize we may not have reserved AV for the guest speaker. Send secretary an email at around 10:30 PM, and tell her I will be in no later than 9 AM.

TUESDAY:
    -More last minute details. Secretary gets AV stuff squared away. I'm so relieved.
    -More individual ENG 1101 appts.
    -Department meeting.
    -Read with Child. Do her bun.
    -Write gracious introduction of speaker.
    -Pick up guest speaker. Take her to AV check. Take her to dinner reception.
    -Endowed lecture. It goes well! I am so pleased. It's fun to pick a speaker and put together an event, but it's stressful to feel like if the speaker isn't good, or if the arrangements go awry, it's on you.

4. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Last minute AV glitches will give you a heart attack. I'll never forget the time I had to buy an overhead projector on the day of an event. This was years ago (obviously.) The facility where I worked at the time had all cutting edge stuff, and the invited speaker had last -generation colored slides. Oy! I found this out at 8:30-ish, when the speaker was due to start talking at 10:00. I just about vomited internal organs from the stress. Thank goodness there was an office supply store about a mile from work. 300-something bucks out of pocket, and worth every penny at 9:00 on a random Tuesday. I sent my brazen GF to return the overhead projector after work that day. No idea what she said, but she got my money back. lol.

Tuesday. Awake early. DF in the middle of the night (bad habit that hurts so good.) Back to sleep. Awakened by horrible nightmare involving ex, other stuff and my childhood home. I wake up in a cold sweat. Jeesh. That man put me through some stuff. But I count this as progress. My subconscious is processing stuff that it never had the courage to process before. Eww. Really icky way to start the day, though.

DS to school. On the way, he realizes that he forgot the school issue camera that he borrowed. I start to turn around and retrieve it, then i think, no. I reminded him to pack it last night. He didn't pack it. So now it's time for him to handle it like the young adult he is. He won't die or get killed from turning the camera in a day late. Besides, I have a long and moronic staff meeting to attend.

To work. Long and moronic staff meeting. *yawn*

Nice easy day at work.

email DS's teachers that I didn't have time to meet last night. Startling news: DS's pre-AP geography teacher used to be our next-door neighbor. For five years. What the?!?! I confront DS when I pick him up, and DS is mortified. He, "thought Mr. J looked familiar, but couldn't quite figure it out." Now DS is self-conscious. The same guy who taught DS to play catch and took him swimming (after DS's Dad left) is DS's teacher now. Life is funny, n'est-ce pas? I am happy. DS's most challenging class is being taught by a man that I know to be truly benevolent. This is good.

Home to incredibly stressful news that barely impinges upon my consciousness. Another blow upon a bruise (Did Evelyn Waugh coin that phrase? Dunno. Just know that there are so many ways it fits life perfectly.) The only nice thing about already being bruised by stress is that additional blows are pretty dull, by comparison. *shrug*

Proofread DS's short story final draft. Good Lord. Teenagers are melodramatic.

Much-needed zzz.

Ice Bucket likes this.
  5. ChaChaMama

Truth!

6. ChaChaMama

WEDNESDAY:
    Bask in post-event glow. Dept e-mail thread has been started thanking me for putting together the event.

8:45--Work on paper topic handout for GLC. Come up with a couple topics on Junot Diaz's The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao, which is new to the course this year. [I already have topics for our other readings in this unit: Goldfinger, The Feminine Mystique, A Single Man, The Handmaid's Tale, Fight Club.]

9, 9:20, 9:40--Individual appts.

10:20--GLC. We watch the second half of the movie of "The Handmaid's Tale." People are incredulous about the changed ending.

11:30--Individual appt.

Lunch. Prep for Vic Lit.

12:40--Victorian Literature. Discuss last night's lecture, which most of the class attended. Then Dickens' Great Expectations.

2:15--Individual appt.

Write thank you e-mail to department.

3--Pick up Child.

4--Read with Child.

Get Child ready for ballet.

7--Child has ballet. I write in diary.

Drive Child home. Put Child to bed.

7. fascination

wed...teach interval...re-do nails, prep for grief group I am conducting over the next several weeks, all hell breaks lose at gym, one instructor quits another is suspended...looks like I'll be teaching zumba again...when it rains, it pours....oh well, good for the diet...pet care...laundry...tan...more chats about how to cover the classes...back to gym to teach an abds class and another step class, stay another 15 minutes for a friend's class, but am DONE...home to couch/wine w/dh, plus re-stoning some spots on a latin costume

8. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Yup it is popular. It cracks me up to see people go crazy over it.

9. pygmalion

Wednesday: I'm sure stuff happened, but I can't for the life of me remember what. I do know that I was distracted by stress and made a HUGE, MORONIC mistake. I don't actually remember doing this, but I know it must have happened because, this morning, there was a huge, one-day-old mess for me to clean up.

Today: Spend all day cleaning up my mess (which is just too embarrassing to share.) Manage to pull it all together, with a little help from my friends (and in spite of myself.) Add one more check mark to the "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger" column. Add two check marks to the "ya gotta have friends" column.

Now: Try to decompress after a day of running around like a chicken with its head cut off. Zzz soon.

10. fascination

thurs...teach oldies class...run around like a maniac trying to get ready for comp....zillion things to do, plus clean house....facilitate long grueling grief session tonight...exhausted...

11. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

I guess it's late enough in the evening that today now counts as yesterday... Got up at 4 AM in order to get to the hospital by 5:30. Then we waited nearly an hour and a half for DW to be called back to pre-op. They took her back, she met with the doctor and the anesthesiologist and the nurse anethetist (apparently you get both now), and they went through the pre-op questioning and forms pretty quickly. Then they took her back to surgery.

There was some confusion on my end on where I would get to see her next. They called me and told me what room she would be put in, and I went up there, but then it occurred to me that they would probably be calling me to see her in recovery, so I went back to the surgery waiting area (at the far opposite end of the hospital). Hours pass, and then I get a call saying the doctor is going to be waiting for me in the room. Back to the other end of the building. The doctor met with me, told me it all went well, gave me a few things to watch for, and then about twenty minutes later they brought DW up and set her up in the room. The anesthesesses.... the anes... heck, put-to-sleep people, must have done a good job because she came out of the anesthesia quicker than usual, and she had no nausea.

Frequent checks and conversations with RN about various things that I won't elaborate on. Lots of Facebook messages, some phone calls, and a visit from our dance instructor (thanks, Mendy!). I went out for dinner about 6 PM just to get out of the building for a few minutes, brought back the overnight bags, and now we're in for the night. DW is watching Project Runway, and I'm sleepy.

12. pygmalion

I am glad that you and DW made it through a tough, long day, cornutt. :)

cornutt likes this.
  13. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Thank you, pygmalion.

14. pygmalion

Today, because, even though it's not even 7:00 yet, I am not long for the waking world.

Up at o dark thirty, meaning 6:45. I hate the slow descent into winter... SO MUCH.

DS to school early. Me to grocery store. Problem with fridge yesterday (on top of the other Crisis of Major Proportions) means that I don't have the stuff I need for wingapalooza, which is scheduled for today. I had no place to store potato salad and other fresh stuff overnight.

To work. Late. Run around and organize. (Dang. I'm good at this.)

Wingapalooza is hugely successful. I only wish it wasn't in celebration of dear GF's last day at work.

Spend afternoon making over-the-top silly jokes in order to hold back the sadness at losing her company. I really love this girl. I will miss her profoundly.

She prepares to leave by writing the best farewell letter I've ever seen. Funny. Wry. Sentimental, but not overly so. Sweet. All of the above just like her.

She cleans up her stuff and we prepare to walk out to our cars together. She leaves behind the boo-hoo box -- the box of Kleenex tissues we've shared this year. Really cool custom. When any of us girls (ladies/women -- whatever you prefer) is going through a tough time, she gets the boo-hoo box in residence on her desk. When the storm passes, she signs and dates it, then stores it until somebody else needs it. I love my girlfriends. Only girlfriends could think of something like that.

In the parking lot, GF who's leaving delivers the bad news. A young male protege of mine has been fired. I saw it coming and did every single thing I could to prevent this. *sigh*

Grocery store. Buy ridiculous amount of stuff for DS to eat. Home. Chill.

Now: Dinner for DS. Healthy Choice for me (Nothing that can fit into a box that size will ever qualify as dinner in my book. lol)

Law and Order SVU. Most likely fall asleep and quite possibly drool in front of the TV. If, by some miracle I stay awake, watch stuff on HBO for a while.

I'm out of DF. G'night all.

15. fascination

fri...take a zumba class...teach bike and bench, tan, atm, subway, drive to comp...second in silver standard, marks indicate that it was close, and people who I respect were surprised even though the winner was a good dancer, so I am satisfied... it felt good and I had a great time...we did have a gentleman go down on a vw and end up having to go to the hospital but seems as though things are stable...also had some nice contact with FP which was a very nice thing for me after a rather lengthy estrangement...son leaves for Portland tomo to spend a week with cutest baby in the world...on balance, I cannot complain

16. Ice Bucket

Ice Bucket Member

Cornutt: I don't know the story here, but it sounds like you and DW have been going through it. I hope she's still doing well and you've both had a decent day and aren't too bored.

Pygmalion: Wingapalooza is now one of my favourite words. :D

Yesterday:
    Off work, so loafing around at home. Seem to be a bit crabby without knowing why. Am far more annoyed than I should be by somebody's inconsiderate behaviour at lunchtime. Go out for a walk with DP which helps the grump dissipate somewhat. Spend quite a while watching the pigs in the park, which is good for the soul. :)

Eat lots of pizza for dinner and head out for a sponsored rough sleep in the car park of a nearby sports stadium, raising money for the charity I work for. It's well attended and we have a good night of it. Not too cold and I think most of us managed to get some sleep. It makes you think, though, about how unpleasant it must often be for the young runaways we work with. We do everything we can to stop another kid ever ending up somewhere unsafe, because the streets are a horrifying prospect. Events like this one bring it home.

17. pygmalion

I can't take credit for wingapalooza. Peaches came up with it. :)

18. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

19. pygmalion

Hah! I went back and checked. Indeed. No, you didn't come up with Wingapalooza. You said, wing-stravaganza. Wingapalooza is all mine. I'm even groovier than I thought. Modest, too. :p

20. fascination

sat...dance smooth, win...dance latin, place third...oh well...fabulous dinner with friends (their treat)...watch as much of evening show as possible....completely bust now...bed soon