yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

wed...teach interval...re-do nails, prep for grief group I am conducting over the next several weeks, all hell breaks lose at gym, one instructor quits another is suspended...looks like I'll be teaching zumba again...when it rains, it pours....oh well, good for the diet...pet care...laundry...tan...more chats about how to cover the classes...back to gym to teach an abds class and another step class, stay another 15 minutes for a friend's class, but am DONE...home to couch/wine w/dh, plus re-stoning some spots on a latin costume
  2. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Yup it is popular. It cracks me up to see people go crazy over it.
  3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Wednesday: I'm sure stuff happened, but I can't for the life of me remember what. I do know that I was distracted by stress and made a HUGE, MORONIC mistake. I don't actually remember doing this, but I know it must have happened because, this morning, there was a huge, one-day-old mess for me to clean up.

Today: Spend all day cleaning up my mess (which is just too embarrassing to share.) Manage to pull it all together, with a little help from my friends (and in spite of myself.) Add one more check mark to the "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger" column. Add two check marks to the "ya gotta have friends" column.

Now: Try to decompress after a day of running around like a chicken with its head cut off. Zzz soon.
  4. fascination

thurs...teach oldies class...run around like a maniac trying to get ready for comp....zillion things to do, plus clean house....facilitate long grueling grief session tonight...exhausted...
  5. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

I guess it's late enough in the evening that today now counts as yesterday... Got up at 4 AM in order to get to the hospital by 5:30. Then we waited nearly an hour and a half for DW to be called back to pre-op. They took her back, she met with the doctor and the anesthesiologist and the nurse anethetist (apparently you get both now), and they went through the pre-op questioning and forms pretty quickly. Then they took her back to surgery.

There was some confusion on my end on where I would get to see her next. They called me and told me what room she would be put in, and I went up there, but then it occurred to me that they would probably be calling me to see her in recovery, so I went back to the surgery waiting area (at the far opposite end of the hospital). Hours pass, and then I get a call saying the doctor is going to be waiting for me in the room. Back to the other end of the building. The doctor met with me, told me it all went well, gave me a few things to watch for, and then about twenty minutes later they brought DW up and set her up in the room. The anesthesesses.... the anes... heck, put-to-sleep people, must have done a good job because she came out of the anesthesia quicker than usual, and she had no nausea.

Frequent checks and conversations with RN about various things that I won't elaborate on. Lots of Facebook messages, some phone calls, and a visit from our dance instructor (thanks, Mendy!). I went out for dinner about 6 PM just to get out of the building for a few minutes, brought back the overnight bags, and now we're in for the night. DW is watching Project Runway, and I'm sleepy.
  6. pygmalion

I am glad that you and DW made it through a tough, long day, cornutt. :)
    cornutt likes this.
  7. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Thank you, pygmalion.
  8. pygmalion

Today, because, even though it's not even 7:00 yet, I am not long for the waking world.

Up at o dark thirty, meaning 6:45. I hate the slow descent into winter... SO MUCH.

DS to school early. Me to grocery store. Problem with fridge yesterday (on top of the other Crisis of Major Proportions) means that I don't have the stuff I need for wingapalooza, which is scheduled for today. I had no place to store potato salad and other fresh stuff overnight.

To work. Late. Run around and organize. (Dang. I'm good at this.)

Wingapalooza is hugely successful. I only wish it wasn't in celebration of dear GF's last day at work.

Spend afternoon making over-the-top silly jokes in order to hold back the sadness at losing her company. I really love this girl. I will miss her profoundly.

She prepares to leave by writing the best farewell letter I've ever seen. Funny. Wry. Sentimental, but not overly so. Sweet. All of the above just like her.

She cleans up her stuff and we prepare to walk out to our cars together. She leaves behind the boo-hoo box -- the box of Kleenex tissues we've shared this year. Really cool custom. When any of us girls (ladies/women -- whatever you prefer) is going through a tough time, she gets the boo-hoo box in residence on her desk. When the storm passes, she signs and dates it, then stores it until somebody else needs it. I love my girlfriends. Only girlfriends could think of something like that.

In the parking lot, GF who's leaving delivers the bad news. A young male protege of mine has been fired. I saw it coming and did every single thing I could to prevent this. *sigh*

Grocery store. Buy ridiculous amount of stuff for DS to eat. Home. Chill.

Now: Dinner for DS. Healthy Choice for me (Nothing that can fit into a box that size will ever qualify as dinner in my book. lol)

Law and Order SVU. Most likely fall asleep and quite possibly drool in front of the TV. If, by some miracle I stay awake, watch stuff on HBO for a while.

I'm out of DF. G'night all.
  9. fascination

fri...take a zumba class...teach bike and bench, tan, atm, subway, drive to comp...second in silver standard, marks indicate that it was close, and people who I respect were surprised even though the winner was a good dancer, so I am satisfied... it felt good and I had a great time...we did have a gentleman go down on a vw and end up having to go to the hospital but seems as though things are stable...also had some nice contact with FP which was a very nice thing for me after a rather lengthy estrangement...son leaves for Portland tomo to spend a week with cutest baby in the world...on balance, I cannot complain
  10. Ice Bucket

Ice Bucket Member

Cornutt: I don't know the story here, but it sounds like you and DW have been going through it. I hope she's still doing well and you've both had a decent day and aren't too bored.

Pygmalion: Wingapalooza is now one of my favourite words. :D

Yesterday:
    Off work, so loafing around at home. Seem to be a bit crabby without knowing why. Am far more annoyed than I should be by somebody's inconsiderate behaviour at lunchtime. Go out for a walk with DP which helps the grump dissipate somewhat. Spend quite a while watching the pigs in the park, which is good for the soul. :)

Eat lots of pizza for dinner and head out for a sponsored rough sleep in the car park of a nearby sports stadium, raising money for the charity I work for. It's well attended and we have a good night of it. Not too cold and I think most of us managed to get some sleep. It makes you think, though, about how unpleasant it must often be for the young runaways we work with. We do everything we can to stop another kid ever ending up somewhere unsafe, because the streets are a horrifying prospect. Events like this one bring it home.
  11. pygmalion

I can't take credit for wingapalooza. Peaches came up with it. :)
  12. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

13. pygmalion

Hah! I went back and checked. Indeed. No, you didn't come up with Wingapalooza. You said, wing-stravaganza. Wingapalooza is all mine. I'm even groovier than I thought. Modest, too. :p
  14. fascination

sat...dance smooth, win...dance latin, place third...oh well...fabulous dinner with friends (their treat)...watch as much of evening show as possible....completely bust now...bed soon
  15. Peaches

Week in brief:

Tuesday: work at home. Blah.

Wednesday: go to work, but on way in my back seizes up again. Work, albeit not too productively. Massive amounts of Advil haven't done a thing and I am in constant pain. As per mom's advice, leave work early (OMG, train jerking to a stop is painful...at least I manage not to cry on the train) and head to Dr appt. Get badgered about smoking (you wanna know why I don't go to a doctor regularly? This is why! My back hurts. be quiet about the smoking and deal with my damn pain. I'm not in the mood to deal with your sanctimonious bs. You think I don't know about the dangers? Again, be quiet.). Leave with scripts for pain patches (utterly useless, and expensive), Flexeril (useless, although it does knock me out for half the night), and prescription strength Alleve. Finally something useful. Chill with DH. Bed, Z. For half the night. Spend latter half if night sobbing and in pain.

Thursday: accompany in-laws to hospital. Wait with MiL. Good god almighty, the woman is bat [poo] crazy and bigoted as can be. Holy balls. To with DH to get lunch, bring it back, visit some more. FIL seems to be doing OK, MIL seems completely unfazed. Strange. Head home, veg, sleep for a while before the pain wakes me up again and I spend the time dozing, tossing, turning, and crying from pain.

Friday: up, eat breakfast, take pain meds, doze until they kick in. Get X-ray, grocery shop. Home and veg. Z. Pretty well (read: no crying from pain) for once.

Saturday: up, breakfast and pain meds, nap. Nap, nap, nap. Minor..."discussion"...with DH. Head into town, have drinks, have dinner at place we've been wanting to try. His fried chicken is spectacular. My rye cavatelli with broccoli I tastes like cardboard with grass clippings. But the duck fat fries were wonderful! Home, veg, decent sleep.

Today: up, breakfast. Go apple picking. Grocery shop on way home, then cook lots if Indian food. Vegging now. Z soon.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2014
  16. pygmalion

I hope SIL is okay.
  17. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

@Cornutt--I hope DW's recovery continues to go well.

@Peaches--I'm so sorry to hear your back continues to give you trouble and am surprised that the Flexeril does nothing for you! Do you think your problem is muscular? Could it be a disk?

+++
    THURSDAY:
    Worked out.
    12--Double Nik lesson! Really good ones. Lots of picking on some of my basics and on places where foot timing could be clearer.

3:15--BLOOD DONATION.
    Passed the physical this time! (Some of you may remember I failed the iron test in August, after having given blood successfully three times earlier in the year.)
    Temp: 97.8
    Pulse: 62
    BP: 100/66
    Iron: 13.6 :) Play through!
    It went really fast too.

Read with Child. Graded FYS papers.
    Unfortunately, allergies kicked into high gear in the later part of the afternoon and I was a mess.

FRIDAY:
    Husband leaves for 6 day trip.
    Allergies still a mess.

9:10--ENG 1101. Grammar lesson.

10:20--GLC. The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao.

12--Appt. with Deaf student (interpreted).

Grade.

3--Pick up Child at school. Home to walk dog.
    4-6--At school with Child, who is not thrilled about this. Grade.

Read Mark of Athena.

Bed.
  18. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

SATURDAY:
    Wake up after tough night due to allergies.

10-2--Montessori Fallfest. I am a volunteer at the inflatable obstacle course from 10-12. It is the most popular attraction at Fallfest, so we stay quite busy!

Home. Walk dog. Have snack.

3-6--On campus, grading papers.

Home.

Read Mark of Athena with Child.

Smartly take Nyquil before bed. This helps.

+++
    SUNDAY:
    Wake up after a decent night of sleep.
    9ish?--Grocery store.

Read Mark of Athena with Child.

1:30-4:30--Grading session.

Dinner.

Finish reading Mark of Athena.
  19. Peaches

Up, breakfast, then proceed to make an absolute mess in the kitchen. Translation: making and canning apple butter. Apple juice everywhere, apple goo everywhere. Color me happy. This batch I didn't scorch, so it doesn't have the smoky taste I like. It also never turned really dark, which was strange. I could have put in more cinnamon, but I'm liking the fresher taste. Minor cleaning of kitchen before DH's students arrive; will mop floor later.

Now: vegging with DH for rest of evening. Oh, and making pie crust.

+++++++++++++++++++++++
    @CCM: I still think this is muscular, although I got the X-rays and will have another appointment just to make sure. It's responded awfully well to massage; I can feel the knot in my back and can feel the referral pain in my neck if I press on it; it's always much worse in the morning when I wake up and am stiff. I'm still not taking any chances though. Very strange that Flexeril didn't do anything that a sleeping pill wouldn't have done.
  20. fascination

forgot a highlight of yesterday; watching dh puzzle out the location of all of his office furniture to scale on quadrile paper....one of those things I adore about him because it is so foreign to the way that I move through the world....he had every outlet blocked....everything...and his chief goal was to be certain that nothing was positioned beyond the reach of his office chair...I mentioned that a little exercise never hurts....

today; taught step, headed to indy...bravely show pro current video, respectfully refuse to look at it next to previous one....major commentary was; "hmmmmmm".....I explained that that wasn't likely to be helpful, so I was given a handful of things to work on and we got right on that....which was nice...the man never tires of new ways to get my feeble mind to grasp things that he already taught on the first lesson....

we ended with practice of most of what my showcase routine is going to be...except ...lol...we are still without a song for various reasons...I am now at the point where I am just like "dude, just pop one in on Saturday and surprise me"...too tired to do a sit down place for dinerand cutting back on booze...so, hit a drive through and now about ready for bed