yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. NURDRMS

NURDRMS Well-Known Member

Finish up week reviewing about 1300 records for a promotion board to Colonel. Drive home from Denver and stop at library to pick up final book from Chief of Staff of the Air Force's reading list. (I'm the senior mentor of a junior officer course (lieutenants and captains) where they have to present papers they've written about any one of the books from this list. Figure I should read all the books on the list before I sit on this panel, huh?) Book is called "Paradise Beneath Her Feet" and is about the rise of Islamic feminism in the Middle East. It's an interesting read so far.

Get home to child and dog (dog's leg is still in a cast, poor thing) and messy house. 15 yo child has been 'watched' by friend's 18 yo daughter for the week I was in Denver and I figured this was a recipe for disaster. But child and dog are still alive and house is still standing...I figure that's about as successful as I can hope for. The messy house I can deal with.

Cancel plans to go out for dinner. Too tired. Make grilled cheese sandwich instead, sip a margarita while catching up on email. Bed.

2. NURDRMS

NURDRMS Well-Known Member

Finish up week reviewing about 1300 records for a promotion board to Colonel. Drive home from Denver and stop at library to pick up final book from Chief of Staff of the Air Force's reading list. (I'm the senior mentor of a junior officer course (lieutenants and captains) where they have to present papers they've written about any one of the books from this list. Figure I should read all the books on the list before I sit on this panel, huh?) Book is called "Paradise Beneath Her Feet" and is about the rise of Islamic feminism in the Middle East. It's an interesting read so far.

Get home to child and dog (dog's leg is still in a cast, poor thing) and messy house. 15 yo child has been 'watched' by friend's 18 yo daughter for the week I was in Denver and I figured this was a recipe for disaster. But child and dog are still alive and house is still standing...I figure that's about as successful as I can hope for. The messy house I can deal with.

Cancel plans to go out for dinner. Too tired. Make grilled cheese sandwich instead, sip a margarita while catching up on email. Bed.

3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

sounds like my kind of evening

4. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Friday:

Finish removing staples from floor, and cleaning/waxing it
    Wait for delivery of rug; rug gets delivered on time

Crash

5. j_alexandra

waitaminute, that was thursday

Friday:

wait for sofa to be delivered; delivery is timely and painless
    lunch with old friend
    home; crash

6. fascination

sat....ridiculous, pointless, stupid, assinine, staff meeting at 6:30 am....sit around for an hour after that because I have to teach step class at 9....home to sleep an hour...various tasks.... and drive to indy...showcase, goes just fine....exhausted and leave early

7. fascination

doing today now as it is almost over....

hotel breakfast ...on road by 9est....some time with son and dh...off to see clients at church....difficult couple....insert calories....couch potato

8. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

I don't think I've been on this thread in a week! But you'll see why.

MONDAY:
    (Day 4 of Husband out of town.)
    Up early making cookies for Child's school and dance birthday celebrations on Tuesday.
    8:20--Dropped Child at school.

Got needful stuff done.

10:30-2--Go on field trip with Child's school to see the "Vote Show" at Goucher College. Travelling theater group from FL does a play about the Revolutionary War, and about the subsequent battles for African-Americans and women to gain the right to vote. A kid in my group is pretty hyper. Before the show, he bounces incessantly in his seat and says "Nothing is happening. I am so bored!" Luckily, he was good during the show. Afterwards, he starts bouncing again and sings "If you're hyper and you know it clap your hands!"

5--Took Child to ice skating.
    7:35ish--Stopped by college, as needed to get some stuff so could do work at home. (Unfortunately, printer at home decided to stop working, so anything I need to print I need to do at work.)
    Got Child some more food, then put her to bed. She has been sleeping with me the whole time Husband has been gone.

TUESDAY:
    More cookie baking.
    8:20--Drop off.

9:45--One of my New Year's Resolutions was that I would see a dermatologist this year. I know getting checked for skin cancer is one of those things you are supposed to do, but have managed to never get around to it. So I did it.

12--Supposed to be my Nik lesson time, but he has msged that will be 1/2 hr later, so I practice until he gets there.
    12:30-2--Double Nik lesson. First lesson great, but at the end of jive I started to see spots. (Did not tell Nik this--I just said I was going to get some water.) Felt better after that, but took it a little easier.

3--Picked up Child at school.

4:30-Left for dance.
    5-8:30--Child at dance. I had dinner at Panera and prepped to teach more of The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao.

Watched some debate. Omg, there was a WOMEN'S PAY EQUITY QUESTION! There was also some other savvy questions. I loved this audience.
    Had to tear Child away from the screen and make her go to bed.

I also packed and did household chores.

9. ChaChaMama

WEDNESDAY:
    9:10--ENG 1101. Picked short research essays on campus issues. Went over how to use library databases.

10:20--GLC. Had 6 or 7 visitors (h.s. students touring colleges), all A-A. We were discussing The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao. One of the visiting students participating in the discussion. Wow, I hope we get her!

Lunch break.

12:40--Victorian Lit. Great Expectations.

2:15--Office hrs.

3--Pick up Child.

3:10--Briefly home. Oh great: I left the refrigerator open. Ugh! No time to deal with it now, though.

Get a few brief things done, then
    3:45--Leave for airport.

4:45--At long-term parking for airport. Deal with various inconsiderate humans, but survive this and make it to our gate enough in advance of our 6:15 flight to grab something to eat.

Boarding for our trip to Disney World and Wizarding World of Harry Potter!
    6:15--Scheduled departure time. We start to taxi...and return to the gate. Some indicator light has lit up. Maintenance needs to see if we have a problem. We need a part. Maintenance needs to see if they have this part. They do. Great. We wind up leaving an hour late...which is fine, except Husband is arriving from New Mexico at 8:15, and we were supposed to arrive at 8:30. Well, it is what it is.

9:30--Arrive. Husband and car service went on to hotel, but he hired another car for me and Child. He also texted "Room = WOW!" That sounds promising.

10-something--Arrive at Grand Floridian. We have been upgraded to a concierge floor room with a direct view of Cinderella's Castle! (Also a great view of the fireworks, though of course we missed them.)

A little food, bed.

10. ChaChaMama

THURSDAY:
    I woke up at 4:30ish and could not fall back to sleep. Too excited, I guess! I made myself stay in bed until 6, then walked around the hotel property. I love being outside in Florida in the early AM.
    Breakfast from club level lounge.

8--Monorail to Magic Kingdom. (At Disney, one of the four parks opens at 8 AM for Disney property guests only, which is a nice perk as it is guaranteed not to be too crowded.)
    -Peter Pan's Flight. (I get tears in my eyes because I love Peter Pan as a child.)
    -It's a Small World.
    -Pirates of the Carribbean. (Somehow not as cool as I remembered it being.)
    -Jungle Cruise. (Husband loved this, much to my surprise.)
    -Enchanted Tiki Room. (Probably biggest disappointment.)
    -Swiss Family Treehouse. Eh.
    -Dumbo.
    -Haunted Mansion. Fun. Got stuck, though.
    Lunch at Liberty Tree Tavern. Child ate barely any of her main course, even though it was pasta w/marinara sauce, which she theoretically should be able to eat. A goodly portion of the meals on this trip were a little torturous for all of us.
    -Hall of Presidents. Better than I remembered it and quite cool.
    -Casey's Splash N Soak Zone, part of the New Fantasyland.

2:30--Monorail back to hotel. 1 hr nap.

5:15--Dinner at Crystal Palace.
    MICKEY'S NOT SO SCARY HALLOWEEN PARTY!!!!
    -Trick or treating in the park.
    -Awesome Boo to You Parade!
    -Hallowishes (special fireworks show).

10-something--Back to hotel. Really great day.

11. ChaChaMama

FRIDAY:
    Luckily, I managed to sleep a little later, but was still up by 6:30.

Packing and prepping to check out.

I *thought* we had a pretty firm plan to go to Animal Kingdom as soon as everyone was mobilized...without rushing, since obviously we would be tired from the night before. Before I know it, there is a counter plan of maybe pool first. But the main pool is closed, and the beach pool--with the cool water slide--doesn't open the slide until 10 AM. I get annoyed because
    A) I did all of my packing and all of Child's packing.
    B) Husband also seemed to assume that I could take Child to breakfast and then to the pool while he had some breakfast and maybe got a little work done. Um...hi? You were just out of town for 6 days?
    Having decided pool plan doesn't make sense, we check out.

8:30ish--Head to Animal Kingdom.
    Security is slllllllooooowwwww at this park compared to Magic Kingdom.

-Stroll and admire park and its animals.
    -Kilamanjaro Safari.

11:20--Lunch reservation at Tusker House. Except they aren't ready, and in fact we don't get seated until around 1/2 hr after reservation time.
    I really like the food, including the Cape Malay chicken and this rice dish with golden raisins and maybe slivered almonds?
    Child doesn't eat much, again. Maybe a slice or two of cheese and some rice. But we do get cute photos with Disney characters.

-Flights of Wonder bird show. Terrific.
    -Maharajah Jungle Trek. Nice.
    -Finding Nemo: The Musical. Fantastic!

On the whole, though, a lot less enjoyable than the Magic Kingdom day. Both Child and Husband seem tired, hot, and crabby for portions of the day. There were plenty of good times, too.

5:30--Dinner at California Grill. Fantastic meal!

We went to get our luggage back at the Grand Floridian. Some excitement: we go out to watch fireworks, which are about to start, so why not...and there is a ton of security. Rumor has it that Joe Biden is also staying there. Pretty cool! I would have loved to meet him. Also, Child was wearing her "Dogs Against Romney" t-shirt, which I think he would have enjoyed.
    Electric Water Parade.

10ish--Checked in at Loews Royal Pacific @ Universal. Not impressed with check in at all. There was no line, but it took forever. The guy had to re-boot the computer, wasted A LOT of time on extraneous stuff like offering us a car rental, and DID NOT cover basic info like WHERE IS THE ELEVATOR?!? Given that there are three towers, and it matters which elevator you take, this is pretty pertinent info. He also didn't give us a mini-bar key, nor did we have a breakfast door hang thingy in our room...and it took until midnight to get these items delivered. (I was asleep by then, so Husband took care of ordering breakfast for everyone.)

12. ChaChaMama

Forgot to mention: Child ate a really good dinner at CA Grill! Carrot sticks and ranch dip for starter, cheese pizza, vanilla ice cream w/chocolate sauce (and Nilla wafer Mickey ears). I had salad, soup, and a three cheese flat bread. Husband had a cheese board, a steak, and a glass of wine. Husband really likes restaurants like this. We had never eaten at California Grill before, but I imagine we will again.

13. ChaChaMama

SATURDAY:
    Room service breakfast, then off via water taxi to Universal's Islands of Adventure for The Wizarding World of Harry Potter.
    -Child got picked at Ollivander's Wand Shop to be the new Hogwarts student where "the wand chooses the wizard." This was very fun. I got off 11 photos, and wish I had been able to do more. (I had a "card full" moment with my camera--had to delete some older shots--wish I had thought of that earlier!)
    -Toured the castle of the Harry Potter and the Forbidden Challenge ride. Husband rode it.
    -Shopped in Filch's Emporium. Dropped some serious coin.
    -Rode Flight of the Hippogriff.
    -Shopped in all the remaining shops, including Honeyduke's, the sweet shop. Dropped some more serious coin.
    -Watched the Frog Chorus.
    -Ate lunch at The Three Broomsticks. Another challenging meal for Child. She doesn't really like mac n cheese, which was the only veg entree. But she managed to down a few mouthfuls.

Husband went back to the resort.

We stayed and did a little Seuss Landing.
    -Caro-Seuss-ical.
    -One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish ride. (This is the theme of Child's bedroom.)

1 hr nap time, then pool time.

Dinner at Emeril's Tchoup Chop. Child had been worried it would be too gourmet, but they made her up a plate of veggie fried rice and she was well pleased. My meal was delicious. Husband had the tasting menu...but unfortunately felt a little sick after.

14. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

What a truly perfect time of year to visit Disney! :)

My heart goes out to you, when it comes to ccc and her diet. I went through that for a brief period, when DS was on meds that suppressed his appetite. He lost ten percent of his body weight in a matter of weeks. (He was six at the time.) It was exhausting to have to be ever-vigilant about what he ate, how much and when. Oh! How I used to envy the parents who said stuff like,"Myeh. My kid is eating me out of house and home; he'll eat anything," or, "I'm not worried about it. I cook; she eats." Little did they know the stress that can be induced by watching a child's plate full of food go into the garbage disposal ... again. Hang in there. at some point, this will be a distant memory for you. It's worth it. Exhausting, but worth it.

15. ChaChaMama

Thanks! And I guess I should be grateful that she will at least eat breakfast reliably (bagel w/cream cheese, Cheerios, or eggs are all acceptable). I think part of the problem is that what theme parks consider standard kids fare is not her thing...and grown-up vegetarian options are often too fancy or too spicy for her. (Tusker House had a ton of vegetarian options--I ate vegetarian at both Crystal Palace and Tusker House b/c I try not to eat too much meat--but a lot was spicy from Child's p.o.v.)

16. j_alexandra

not for nothin', but this thread now has over 10,300 posts and a whole lotta views, iirc from the late, lamented software

17. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

SUNDAY
    Vineyard Church from 10-2pm
    Grocery shopping 2-2:40pm
    Drove to Sunday Social 50 minutes away, enjoyed dancing from 3:30 to 6:30, taking advantage of the break to do two laps at the nearby track.
    7:50pm to midnight showered, dinner, talked with both siblings and mom.

18. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

SUNDAY
    Vineyard Church from 10-2pm
    Grocery shopping 2-2:40pm
    Drove to Sunday Social 50 minutes away, enjoyed dancing from 3:30 to 6:30, taking advantage of the break to do two laps at the nearby track.
    7:50pm to midnight showered, dinner, talked with both siblings and mom. Plus reading, "The First 20 Minutes" by Gretchen Reynolds.

19. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Saturday and Sunday in no particular order.

Clean. Laundry. Stimulate local economy. State Fair. Random TV viewing. Realize, once again, why I hate the treadmill but decide that I can hold my nose and do pretty much anything for an hour. Buy large quantity of reading glasses from dollar store. This concession to old age is painful, let me tell ya, but a girl's gotta read. Read Tony Danza's book about his experience teaching tenth grade English in a Philly public school. Innocuous, not earth-shattering, IMO, but still inspirational that his dream, after decades of celebrity, was to teach. Try to find "harvest" decorations that won't offend my super-Christian GF's sensibilities. Almost succeed. Help DS with SAT vocab prep. Rest ALMOST enough.

Today: The usual, except DS and I run into DS's fourth grade teacher while we're shopping for groceries. She looks so small, next to DS's 6 feet. Wow. I can't believe how quickly time flies.

ETA: Oops. I left out something profoundly evil that I did today. I ... bought Velveeta, something I swore I'd never do. :eek: Dear Lord forgive me. The folks who are planning the potluck for Thursday need somebody else to bring queso fixins and, if you ask them, REAL Tex-Mex queso requires Velveeta and Rotel. Oh my ever-lovin goodness! So I do it. I am tempted to wear a trench coat and dark glasses. I have a cheese-lover's reputation to live up to, after all. But, in the end, I buy the dang cheese-food, and hang my head in well-deserved shame. *sigh*

20. fascination

fact is, real cheese doesn't melt as well as velveeta...to everything there is a season