yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

Thanks! And I guess I should be grateful that she will at least eat breakfast reliably (bagel w/cream cheese, Cheerios, or eggs are all acceptable). I think part of the problem is that what theme parks consider standard kids fare is not her thing...and grown-up vegetarian options are often too fancy or too spicy for her. (Tusker House had a ton of vegetarian options--I ate vegetarian at both Crystal Palace and Tusker House b/c I try not to eat too much meat--but a lot was spicy from Child's p.o.v.)
  2. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

not for nothin', but this thread now has over 10,300 posts and a whole lotta views, iirc from the late, lamented software
  3. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Vineyard Church from 10-2pm
    Grocery shopping 2-2:40pm
    Drove to Sunday Social 50 minutes away, enjoyed dancing from 3:30 to 6:30, taking advantage of the break to do two laps at the nearby track.
    7:50pm to midnight showered, dinner, talked with both siblings and mom.
  4. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Vineyard Church from 10-2pm
    Grocery shopping 2-2:40pm
    Drove to Sunday Social 50 minutes away, enjoyed dancing from 3:30 to 6:30, taking advantage of the break to do two laps at the nearby track.
    7:50pm to midnight showered, dinner, talked with both siblings and mom. Plus reading, "The First 20 Minutes" by Gretchen Reynolds.
  5. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Saturday and Sunday in no particular order.

Clean. Laundry. Stimulate local economy. State Fair. Random TV viewing. Realize, once again, why I hate the treadmill but decide that I can hold my nose and do pretty much anything for an hour. Buy large quantity of reading glasses from dollar store. This concession to old age is painful, let me tell ya, but a girl's gotta read. Read Tony Danza's book about his experience teaching tenth grade English in a Philly public school. Innocuous, not earth-shattering, IMO, but still inspirational that his dream, after decades of celebrity, was to teach. Try to find "harvest" decorations that won't offend my super-Christian GF's sensibilities. Almost succeed. Help DS with SAT vocab prep. Rest ALMOST enough.

Today: The usual, except DS and I run into DS's fourth grade teacher while we're shopping for groceries. She looks so small, next to DS's 6 feet. Wow. I can't believe how quickly time flies.

ETA: Oops. I left out something profoundly evil that I did today. I ... bought Velveeta, something I swore I'd never do. :eek: Dear Lord forgive me. The folks who are planning the potluck for Thursday need somebody else to bring queso fixins and, if you ask them, REAL Tex-Mex queso requires Velveeta and Rotel. Oh my ever-lovin goodness! So I do it. I am tempted to wear a trench coat and dark glasses. I have a cheese-lover's reputation to live up to, after all. But, in the end, I buy the dang cheese-food, and hang my head in well-deserved shame. *sigh*
  6. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

fact is, real cheese doesn't melt as well as everything there is a season
  7. pygmalion

*shudder* lol
  8. fascination

mon...teach a step class on not enough sleep...feed animals, feed to indy...proceed to have lessons that are AWESOME, albeit a tad violent...have some bruises...pour tequila on it, force self to eat some dinner and box the rest.....bengay immanent....all is well with my soul...I am so fortunate
  9. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Installed an electrical outlet near the front door. Took me all afternoon. :rolleyes: Apparently the framing in that part of the wall was changed after I took my construction photos. Now I've got two extra holes in the wall that I have to patch. Fortunately, we plan to repaint the wall anyway.
  10. cornutt

These are dance lessons? :eek:
  11. fascination

12. fascination

cornutt...fell over backward due to pants being too long...because I am losing wait I hope :)...also managed to get clocked in the somehow I always mange to have a thumbprint on the right bicept...but I am sure he has it worse :)
  13. j_alexandra

Wake cranky, grumpy, icky.
    Bake bake bake.
    BFF comes to visit; crankiness disappears, yay.
    Run around and do stuff.
  14. j_alexandra

Up very early; drive to Allentown to have brekkie with a friend from the Old Days who is in town for the gun show; I will not see her again for a long, long time, so it was worth getting up early and driving 2 hours to see her
    Fall foliage is beautiful; the drive home is nice; stop on the way home to see Samina!
    Arrive at studio; set up and work at Wheelchair Dance workshop, which is inspiring and moving and fun
    Have a drink with DB#4 while we go over the workshop photos on my iPad
    Pick up something for dinner; go home, cook, eat, read, crash
  15. cornutt

How is Allentown these days? Last time I was there it wasn't in very good shape, but that was back in 1988.
  16. j_alexandra

Still not in great shape. Billy Joel nailed it in the song.
  17. pygmalion

I remember the first time I saw Allentown. I was fresh out of school and looking for an apartment. It was February. Cold and gray and damp.

I had some good times, there, but I will never forget that first impression.

From what I hear from friends who still live there or who have closer ties, the town has not changed for the better since the interstate straight to New York was completed. Higher cost of living. Higher crimes rates. Etc. of course, my friends who are still there are mostly life-long Lehigh Valley residents who considered Allentown the "big city" that they went to work in, while they went home to their small hometown bedroom communities at night, so their views might be a tad parochial. Who knows? *shrug*

Wouldn't mind seeing the place again. :cool:
  18. pygmalion

I don't remember when I last checked in but I know it was recent, so I'll stick to today.

Up early. The usual. Wake DS up. He says he's too sick to go to school even though I feel he has no fever. I realize that it's time. He's a big boy. I let him decide whether to go to school. Holy crap! Parenthood really is letting go. He decides to stay home, but to email his friends and do his assignments at home. (I think this is very grown-up, especially when I get home after work and realize that DS really did what he said he was going to do. Very cool. )

To work, where I attend yet another moronic meeting in which my immediate manager shares with everyone information that I gave him yesterday. No credit to me. What a freaking surprise.

GF with fibromyalgia (how in the hell do you spell that?!?!?) has decided to go to her doctor today and ask for disability leave. If she doesn't get it, she's going to quit. Either way, she's gone in a matter of days.My heart breaks ... for me. I am so selfish. God! I will miss her, but I force myself to pray that she will receive relief from having to work while in constant pain.

Other stuff.

Home. When I get there, DS is in my bed. He says it's more comfortable in my bed than his. He is feeling sick after all. Uh. Really?!? You're feeling sick so you, the fifteen-year-old, get in my used-to-be -clean bed, thereby contaminating it with whatever crap is in your system. Great. I am suddenly pissed. I know I am overreacting, but I am so afraid that DS is going to turn out self-absorbed at the expense of everybody else. I start to fuss, but I realize that fussing is pointless. Rather than yell and get ignored, I disengage, sit in the middle of the floor in a half lotus and start to sing. Dona nobis pacem pacem. Dona nobis pacem.

Fortunately, while I am singing/chanting/finding peace, DS goes away. Teenagers were sent to earth to teach us patience and forbearance ... or better techniques for killing teenagers. Enough already.

Take your own cold meds, DS, and put yourself to bed. We can talk in the morning, unless you want to die young. Done.

Figure out how to smooth over the snafus that I already know about for tomorrow's pot luck (Heaven help us tomorrow morning! I'm sure there are still more surprises coming our way. This is my justification for my pot luck OCD. If I were in charge, we wouldn't be getting surprises at this stage of the game. Guaranteed.)

Make dinner for DS. He can't eat anything heavy because he's sick. Trick him into eating ten or fifteen servings of raw fruit and veg. For some reason, DS thinks that grapes and strawberries don't count as eating. Okay. Whatever.

Now. Eat leftovers. Use one of my pairs of old-lady glasses to read absolute trash for a while.

Soon. Zzzz.
  19. fascination

tues...more lessons...enjoying this time in my dance life...home to teach spin...crash and burn on every level....

wed/today; teach interval, change cat litter, do laundry, dowload pics, plan zumba, teach zumba....bed soon
  20. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

It's been a while...

Saturday: baby shower for SIL. Highlights: two-year-olds seem to have a knack for always being underfoot, and screaming. 2yo's father is completely and utterly useless at either dealing with his child or getting out of the way. EVERYBODY GET THE EVER-LOVING EFF OUT OF THE KITCHEN! Apparently, SIL's sisters, who "organized" the shower, feel that decorating means bringing in a bag of decorations and dropping them in the middle of the floor for someone else to put up while they socialize. Making sammiches look like owls is bloody stupid. Making cupcakes to look like owls is bloody stupid. OMFG, too many women around for too long. SIL has a great time. Home, vodka, more vodka, more vodka, and sleep.

Sunday: punkin picking, then veg with DH.

Monday: force coworker who is sharing credit on my project (despite not doing a damn thing) to actually do a damn thing. Realized that the problem was half me: I was expecting him to step up and take responsibility, as a lead on this, and have been trying to make room for him and provide opportunities for him on this. Nothing. Decide--enough is bloody well enough. Since I have to [expletive deleted] share the credit for this, he is going to bloody well [expletive deleted] do significant amounts of work on it. Oh, sure, it takes me longer to explain it to him than it would just to do it myself (because he is totally unfamiliar with anything related to this, because he hasn't done a goddamn thing on it), but he is going to do it, goddammit. I've had enough.

Meet with other coworker to begin learning new project. Kinda cool--he's pushing to have me do lots of stuff on this project very quickly, so that when I eventually have my promotion interview I can talk about having done it.

Tuesday: work from home. Decide I can't take another day of looking at the one project I've been working on for ages, so decide to "be lazy" and "procrastinate" by working on something else. Make great progress.

Wednesday: continue Tuesday's work, get to a good stopping point. Send email updating aforementioned co-lead...and cc-ing boss. The project is as done, and as plug-and-play as I can possibly make it at this point. Assign several tasks to alleged-co-lead. New acronym for coworker: ACL (Alleged Co-Lead).

Meet with other coworker about other new project. I'm learning this a)to give myself something new to work on, because I'd been kind of bored with my current projects; b)because it sounded fascinating, and like stuff I'm familiar with from my old job; c)this co-worker has absolutely no backup, which is a really big problem around here (ever stop and think about what a 10% reduction in force through attrition means, coming on the heels of years of hiring freezes? it's not pretty); d)to find a way to improve his process.

I've realized that one of my biggest strengths at work is overhauling processes to make them virtually plut-and-play. To toot my own horn for a moment, I am damn good at that. (As an added bonus, I really enjoy the process.) I can, and have, repeatedly, taken projects that are an absolute disaster and turn them into something where anyone could come in, pick up the project, and guide themselves through it. Not a real world skill, I realize, but around here it's got the potential to be very useful. Anyhow. Just in sitting and going through this project the first time, I've got all kinds of ideas on how to improve things. I can't wait to get in and play with it and begin to overhaul it. Yes, I'm a dork.