yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

profoundly disagree. among the best I've seen in years.

2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

regarding dh's bum...um yes...if there is one thing that I have learned to do quite well over the years, it is how to treat a sore muscle....and of course...it was also my pleasure:cool:

3wishes likes this.
  3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I definitely will see it. :cool:

4. pygmalion

*giggle* You go, girl. ;)

5. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I saw Cloud Atlas its opening weekend Since I haven't read the book (it's on order from the library), I found the movie a little hard to follow since the storylines jumped around alot. My favorite storyline was the futuristic Neo Seol one. I was also wondering the point of one of the storylines - the one with the composer of the Cloud Atlas symphony. I don't want to give away any spoilers, but I couldn't figure out why the composer did what he did. Maybe something got lost in translation from the book. I also thought the movie was a little long.

The makeup artists did a great with actors among the different storylines. If you see the movie, stay for the credits where they show all of the different character transformations for each actor.

That's my 2 cents worth. I'm thinking of seeing the new James Bond movie this weekend, and I'm definately looking forward to Twilight: Breaking Dawn Part II opening next week. If you haven't figured this out already, I really like going to the movies.

6. j_alexandra

Which is part of what I liked so much about it. I also had not read the book, and I doubt that I now will.

Part of the reason I don't want to read the book is that there are several differences. I don't know if they amount to getting lost in translation (which was another movie I loved, btw). I liked the film so much that I would find those differences disturbing; I'd want to read the film, so to speak. However, from the synopses I read online, I was enchanted by Mitchell's writing style. Or styles, since that was part of the point of the book.

And I could not bear for it to end. Different strokes. It's definitely not everyone's cup of tea, but CCM will probably love it.

Oh, btw: there's a new Bond? Count me in. I heart Daniel's Bond. The best since Connery.

7. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

I have read Cloud Atlas (though quite awhile ago, so it's not fresh in my mind). Didn't like it as much as some critics did. Some of the story lines were interesting but to me, it sometimes felt like it was trying too hard to be stylistic inventive. (Or at least, this is what I think I remember feeling). I have also read Mitchell's more recent novel The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet. I liked that one somewhat more, but still had mixed feelings.

I will try to see the movie.

There is definitely a new Bond opening tomorrow, "Skyfall." I might take my Gender/Literature/Culture class to see it, as we read a Bond novel as part of the class, but trying to figure out the status of the services for the hearing impaired at our local movie theater. (As I've mentioned, one of my students is Deaf.)

8. pygmalion

Agree. His portrayal of Bond is gritty in a way that I like. I saw an ad for the new movie in which Daniel Craig says something like, "You have to remember that he kills people for a living." I think that's part of why I like him. Pierce Brosnan's Bond, for example, seemed to me like a playboy who happened to shoot people occasionally. Daniel Craig's Bond is a hired assassin that I happen to identify with. Craig seems to understand the whole antihero thing in a way that other Bonds didn't.

And there is only one Sean Connery. That is all.

j_alexandra likes this.
  9. pygmalion

I really shoulda posted my yesterday yesterday, because I forgot most of it.

Two days' worth.

DS informs me that he can't wear a certain pair of jeans to school anymore. They have a microscopic hole in one knee and that's against dress code. Okay. Whatever. Throw them away. (Too much trouble to keep track of holey jeans in the wash and I wouldn't give battered jeans away. So It is what it is.) After this interchange is done, I think to myself "How in the heck did I manage to raise such a law-abiding citizen? Please Lord. Please. Let him rebel now, when I can help mitigate the fallout. Later will be much worse."

Very, very quiet at work, until I find out that there's a training class starting Monday. Yay. I just did a class, so I should be fine ... except these folks are from another country and the product line-up in that country is completely different and totally unfamiliar to me ... and I have to teach it starting on Tuesday. Yay. Actually not being sarcastic this time. I love this type of challenge. Write lots of new training stuff. Yay.

Personal. Look self in eye and say, "What are you doing, chick?" [omit other stuff that I really don't want feedback on] Don't like answer to my question to self. [expletive. Use your imagination.]

Go to quintcareers. I used to love this site. Seems that, since I visited last, they got a clue that giving away actual information for free doesn't help their business. I find absolutely nothing useful, even though I read a bunch of articles (while at work. Aren't I brazen? lol)

Watch Piers Morgan and lose a bit of respect. The show today features Obama "breaking down" in front of his campaign supporters. Breaking News and so forth and so on. In the clip, Obama wipes away about three tears, when he's talking to his inner circle supporters about how much potential they have to create change. WTH!?!? THIS is breaking down? Seriously, Piers. I usually love your interviewing style, but don't fall for the ratings trap. Just do what you do. Report the story behind the news.

I do, however, like the idea that the POTUS might be an actual human being ... until the cynic in me asks what David Axelrod might have had to do with this "unscripted" moment. (You could see DA the whole time Obama was talking.) Seriously gotta stop watching so much political crap on TV. Not!!

Count boxtops. I have 167 for 3W, so far. Hmm.

Home. Treadmill. Dinner. TV. Zzz.

10. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

THURSDAY:
    9:15--Meeting with Dean, a mom, her daughter/our student, another faculty member, and her learning disabilities office counselor about said student's academic standing.

10:30--Head over to college fitness center.
    10:50-12--Workout.
    The funniest part was when, about 40 minutes in, an entire team of beefy young men suddenly invaded the cardio room. For some reason, this made me a little nervous and I started looking around to see if any of them were my students. A huge barrel-chested guy started running on one of the other treadmills, and his teammates were ribbing him: "Did you put in your weight?" "Yeah, I put in 155." Yeah right!!!! 255, maybe! Then 10 minutes later, they were gone to go lift weights downstairs.
    Ran into at least 3 of my colleagues on my back across campus. It never fails that when you are at your sweatiest, you run into everyone you know.
    Home. Shower, lunch.
    Drive to Towson.

2-3:30--Double Nik lesson! Lots of technique and some new choreography! He's giving me an open paso! This means that I will eventually be able to compete open scholarship.
    The funniest--and scariest--part was working on pivots in samba. Approximate recap:
    NIK: "The problem with your pivots is that the human body has a natural desire to preserve itself. You feel like you are out of balance, so you strive to put your weight over your own feet. But there are three states of balance: in balance, out of balance, and off balance. Like this line we have in rumba where we stretch away from each other. If we let go, you probably couldn't hold that position yourself. But it's not a problem, because we're not going to let go. Same thing here. You need to allow yourself to be out of balance so that we counter each other's weight in these pivots."

What he said made so much sense--as is usually true--but it's kind of funny to think that my instinctive desire not to fall is an actual impediment. Turn off instinct--got it. I'll work on that.

Home. Dinner.

6:10--VAG MON FUNDRAISER @ COLD STONE CREAMERY!
    (We picked up some of my advisees on the way.)
    I had the dark chocolate peppermint flavor with graham cracker pie crust mixed in and it was to die for. My husband had the peppermint delight sundae and it was even more to die for!
    A little trick I've learned: Cold Stone (and many other ice cream places, for that matter) has a kids size, and they will not keep you from ordering it even if you are an adult. That way I can have ice cream without eating so much I will make myself sick.
    7:15--Child and I headed up to Sears to check out the new treadmill we are thinking of buying. We've had our current one for ~9-10 years, and it has started having some difficulties. The new top-of-the-line Nordictrack is just about as sexy as a piece of exercise equipment can be.

It is the Nordictrack X9i. It has an Android screen so you can surf the web while you exercise. It also has an IFit thing where you can chart a workout route and have visuals as if you were jogging through Paris or London or the actual route of your next 5K. You can also--if you prefer crazy-intense workouts to longer ones--lift the incline up to 40%. There is a decline option too. I ran on it a little in the showroom, and the cushioning is amazing. The difference between this and running on pavement or even on my current treadmill is HUGE. We will probably go for it...because I really use the treadmill a lot, and my husband says he would use this one a lot more too. :)

Home. Surfed web. Read w/Child.
    Went to bed on the earlier side, as I was beat!

11. fascination

CCM...gotta love youth...10 minutes of cardio and done...lolz
    P...regarding POTUS "breakdown", dunno that prolly is a breakdown for him...and I think a sincere one...as he should be grateful and awed by how hard that team worked for him....my son worked the 2008 campaign and it is a grueling thankless loooooooooooooong process that can only be maintained by a extraordinary devotion and belief

12. fascination

in short; donor night at field museum and now a conference in Louisville....from there, I will have two days of lessons in indy then off to osb...so, will not be on much til...oh....around the 18th

13. j_alexandra

Tuesday:

Gyro
    Theater (so bad I fell asleep, in spite of having coffee just before it started)
    why is that all I can remember?

Wednesday:

Lesson
    Lunch at Indian restaurant
    Errands
    Get paid for my old car, do the paperwork
    Go to studio, use some car money to pay for this bunch of lessons (I buy in groups of 10), leave ASAP b/c I'm so freaked out about the effing snow; it's getting dark, the roads are crappy, and I loathe driving in the snow and the dark (part of the reason I got off the road and left Spouse, to be truthful)
    Halfway home, get call from Teach; did you leave something at the studio? OMG there was $4000 in that envelope and I LEFT IT? <headwall headwall headwall>
    Get home and hunker in

14. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

I don't need to tell you guys how me and BR never mixed, and pivots never ever made sense to me. But Nik's explanation, and your problem, sound shockingly familiar to some things I encountered in AT. It's such a strange feeling to let go, and deliberately let yourself go out of balance...and it was even more strange once I realized that if I let go and let the out of balance happen (instead of fighting it), all of the scary part of it went away and it felt like I was completely in control again. Mind.blown.

I've never quite gotten the hang of Cold Stone Creamery. I don't get what the big deal is, or why people like it. Something about the concept just doesn't make sense to me. (Then again, it could be because I'm not much of a fan of ice cream. Heh.)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Thursday:
    Ugh. Am still recovering from being up before 3am on Tuesday. Waking up is not easy, but I manage it.

Sleep like a baby on the train, until I get woken up so someone can sit in the middle seat next to me. Grumble. Things have gotten more difficult lately. There was one guy I'd sat next to for the past 8 years--he was quiet, rode all the way to the terminus, didn't smell, didn't snore, not strange, and sat in roughly the middle of the car. Perfect. But then he retired. :-( Thankfully, it seems I have a new train buddy. At the station, some guy I know from the train leans over and asks if I'll start sitting next to him, because he knows I just sit and sleep (like him) and ride all the way to the terminus (also like him). Funny, I'd considered sitting next to him for exactly that reason many times, but didn't want him to find it strange.

Go to work, stopping for oatmeal and additional DMD along the way. There is someone begging for change outside the cafe. I don't have cash (never do), but I offered to buy him something to eat or drink; he didn't want that. :/ Shrug. I also got myself a diet raspberry Snapple. Oh, the memories that brings back! I practically lived on raspberry and/or peach Snapple my freshman year of college. (Well, that and non-DMD, pasta, and rice krispy treats.)

Get in to work to find a request for data from 25 years ago. Spend six hours finding the data and then trying to make sense of the old documentation. All kinds of stuff is there, but most of it is pretty cryptic. Also all of the documentation is in .pdf format, which means that I'll have to be doing a TON of retyping to write the programs and provide usable documentation. My branch chief spends about an hour with me in my khuube, explaining the various bits and pieces about how things fit together (he was the analyst on the projects at the time), and other whatnot. Very enjoyable. After six hours, customer emails back to say never mind. When he actually looked through their files, he found the exact same data as what he was looking for; our division provided it the last time he asked, in 2002. *head desk*

Spend the rest of the day writing programs for this old data anyhow. I want to take care of things while it's fresh in my mind, and I don't want to be caught in this situation again. Besides, I don't really feel like going back to my usual projects. This is my version of procrastinating. Also, this is all population data. It has its problems, but being able to build something of a comprehensive (if limited in depth) dataset going back 25 years is...tempting. The dork in me starts pondering all of the possibilities while I happily while away the rest of the afternoon in my khuube writing SAS programs.

Home. Pizza. Movie. Z. Until 3:30.

15. fascination

my dtr loves coldstone...I don't get it either...plus, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay over priced...

interesting too, speaking of over-priced; was listening to Sen Schumer this a.m. on morning Joe talking about how FEMA only pays around 340k to re-build a house and that won't cut it in NY...wow....I have an acre in a quasi- gated community, 4 bedrooms, 3 1/2 baths, over 4000 square feet for that

16. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Location, location, location! :)

I'm surprised they don't vary the amount by locality. (Or maybe they do, and that's just the NYC limit.)

I'm not surprised that doesn't cut it in NY. Not at all. Hell, even here in MD that's not enough to cut it plenty of places. We have a townhouse, ~2400 sq.ft., postage stamp yard, in the sticks, in a new development without much of anything special (no pool, fitness center, walking trails, etc.)...and it was $270k when we bought it. My brother just bought a small, 30-year old house, in an older community, near Annapolis, for what had to have been $450k. Hell, there's lots of places in central MD where you can't even rent a decent apartment for our mortgage. It's interesting.

17. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Loved hearing this. Big lesson...in dance... in Life.

Love when those Dance=Life lessons pop up... :)

ChaChaMama likes this.
  18. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Ok, let me address this FEMA statement. Having worked in my discipline of rebuilding and recovery for the City. And it's just an FYI for those wondering, what the heck?!FEMA
    FEMA operates under the Federal Code of Regulations Title 44- Public Assistance Program. That's not an Indivdual Assitance Program. It's for your town, county, city, etc to rebuild. However, your State government also, has no Individual Assistance Program. Therefore, in order for FEMA to assist homeowners, at all, your governor MUST request a Presidential Declaration of Disaster to activate the Individual Assistance Program for you, the homeowner if you qualify. That "if" is big. FEMA has a federal rate sheet. That is based on a national federal average. Not your county, city, town average, so it may be well below where you live. Also, if you have homeowners insurance, then "that" insurance is in first position. FEMA will only follow up for the damages that you may have incurred from a disaster, AFTER, your insurance has come forward, if not they will ask if you've contact your insurance policy holder. You must have evidence of your pre-damage and damaged residence, outbuildings, etc when the inspector comes to look at your place. Video, pictures, etc are great. FEMA does not replace your land, your livestock, your crops. Also, they do not find eligible costs when you have not maintained your property/homes/otherwise pre-disaster. Be forewarned, a FEMA process, is long, even in the best of times, you cannot repair your damage before the inspector gets there, otherwise how will he/she know? This is governed by Title 44 and the policies that are in place. Also, the President of the USA - has the option to "not" activate the categories of work that are eligible, regardless of program, including the Individual Assistance Program. Under President Bush, he chose to agree with Reimbursement for Public Safety Measures and Emergency Protective Measures but nothing else in the Storms of 2005 although So. Calif. experienced 22 souls lost, 938 homes mudslide/damages and many lost their residences. Only overtime for the PD/FD and emergency roadwork was deemed eligible. Go figure.

19. 3wishes

AND if you have a home that has been totally lost, (much like my cousin) and it is found to be in a recurring floodplain or exposed to repeated disaster, there is a potential to approach your local government or your local government may approach you with a FEMA Hazard Mitigation Grant Program that will buy you out of your "home" and the local government will own the property, never to be built on or re-used for any purpose, but the local government will own it in perpetuity and it cannot be sold again. This is a drastic step, although used in areas where continuing flooding and repeated rebuilding tends to happen. (like homes sliding down hills over and over again).

20. 3wishes

Wake up, relatively early for west coast time. Not early for east coast time.
    Get all "cousins/aunts/uncles" on conference call...answering their questions...and
    where do we go from here(s)?....
    Head out to gym, run three miles (mind is racing).
    Home and DH. chit chat.
    Back to gym for Aqua Fitness hour - it is PACKED in the pool. Kicked my booty it did...woweee.
    Field more calls.
    Cook - really cook - not the quick cook - but the ahhhhh that is GOOD cooking for lunch.
    Catch up with DH on this and that...
    Evening rainstorm,,is lovely and cold...finally~!
    Head out to Zumba evening class - which was fun, still pondering how she/instructor moves like that...lol.
    DS phones in....coming for rest of furniture.
    Decision made - need new desk for den/playroom...boxes are annoying now.