yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

my dtr loves coldstone...I don't get it either...plus, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay over priced...

interesting too, speaking of over-priced; was listening to Sen Schumer this a.m. on morning Joe talking about how FEMA only pays around 340k to re-build a house and that won't cut it in NY...wow....I have an acre in a quasi- gated community, 4 bedrooms, 3 1/2 baths, over 4000 square feet for that

2. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Location, location, location! :)

I'm surprised they don't vary the amount by locality. (Or maybe they do, and that's just the NYC limit.)

I'm not surprised that doesn't cut it in NY. Not at all. Hell, even here in MD that's not enough to cut it plenty of places. We have a townhouse, ~2400 sq.ft., postage stamp yard, in the sticks, in a new development without much of anything special (no pool, fitness center, walking trails, etc.)...and it was $270k when we bought it. My brother just bought a small, 30-year old house, in an older community, near Annapolis, for what had to have been $450k. Hell, there's lots of places in central MD where you can't even rent a decent apartment for our mortgage. It's interesting.

3. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Loved hearing this. Big lesson...in dance... in Life.

Love when those Dance=Life lessons pop up... :)

ChaChaMama likes this.
  4. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Ok, let me address this FEMA statement. Having worked in my discipline of rebuilding and recovery for the City. And it's just an FYI for those wondering, what the heck?!FEMA
    FEMA operates under the Federal Code of Regulations Title 44- Public Assistance Program. That's not an Indivdual Assitance Program. It's for your town, county, city, etc to rebuild. However, your State government also, has no Individual Assistance Program. Therefore, in order for FEMA to assist homeowners, at all, your governor MUST request a Presidential Declaration of Disaster to activate the Individual Assistance Program for you, the homeowner if you qualify. That "if" is big. FEMA has a federal rate sheet. That is based on a national federal average. Not your county, city, town average, so it may be well below where you live. Also, if you have homeowners insurance, then "that" insurance is in first position. FEMA will only follow up for the damages that you may have incurred from a disaster, AFTER, your insurance has come forward, if not they will ask if you've contact your insurance policy holder. You must have evidence of your pre-damage and damaged residence, outbuildings, etc when the inspector comes to look at your place. Video, pictures, etc are great. FEMA does not replace your land, your livestock, your crops. Also, they do not find eligible costs when you have not maintained your property/homes/otherwise pre-disaster. Be forewarned, a FEMA process, is long, even in the best of times, you cannot repair your damage before the inspector gets there, otherwise how will he/she know? This is governed by Title 44 and the policies that are in place. Also, the President of the USA - has the option to "not" activate the categories of work that are eligible, regardless of program, including the Individual Assistance Program. Under President Bush, he chose to agree with Reimbursement for Public Safety Measures and Emergency Protective Measures but nothing else in the Storms of 2005 although So. Calif. experienced 22 souls lost, 938 homes mudslide/damages and many lost their residences. Only overtime for the PD/FD and emergency roadwork was deemed eligible. Go figure.

5. 3wishes

AND if you have a home that has been totally lost, (much like my cousin) and it is found to be in a recurring floodplain or exposed to repeated disaster, there is a potential to approach your local government or your local government may approach you with a FEMA Hazard Mitigation Grant Program that will buy you out of your "home" and the local government will own the property, never to be built on or re-used for any purpose, but the local government will own it in perpetuity and it cannot be sold again. This is a drastic step, although used in areas where continuing flooding and repeated rebuilding tends to happen. (like homes sliding down hills over and over again).

6. 3wishes

Wake up, relatively early for west coast time. Not early for east coast time.
    Get all "cousins/aunts/uncles" on conference call...answering their questions...and
    where do we go from here(s)?....
    Head out to gym, run three miles (mind is racing).
    Home and DH. chit chat.
    Back to gym for Aqua Fitness hour - it is PACKED in the pool. Kicked my booty it did...woweee.
    Field more calls.
    Cook - really cook - not the quick cook - but the ahhhhh that is GOOD cooking for lunch.
    Catch up with DH on this and that...
    Evening rainstorm,,is lovely and cold...finally~!
    Head out to Zumba evening class - which was fun, still pondering how she/instructor moves like that...lol.
    DS phones in....coming for rest of furniture.
    Decision made - need new desk for den/playroom...boxes are annoying now.

7. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Thanks for the clarification, 3w. Not sure why it didn't occur to me that you, if anyone, would know the ins and outs.

The good news (according to NPR report on ... Wednesday?) is that FEMA has already disbursed millions of dollars in aid -- mostly in temporary housing assistance. I know that FEMA may seem to be moving at a glacial pace, to folks affected by Sandy, but, to get the federal government to part with that much cash that quickly is no small feat, IMHO.

8. pygmalion

I'm just a cynical old fart. lol.

re: POTUS's sincerity, Piers Morgan made an interesting comment, something to the effect that if that moment had happened on Monday night rather than Wednesday, Obama quite possibly may have won more of the popular vote. I have to say the personal moment with him and his volunteers was very touching. I also have to say that I appreciate the fact that Obama spent a chunk of election day calling and personally thanking campaign volunteers, rather than out campaigning. Very cool.

dancelvr likes this.
  9. pygmalion

Wed - Fri overview.

DS: He's getting fatigued by the huge high school work load. Thank goodness he has just one more week until Thanksgiving break, and only one of his teachers has assigned work during the break. (Not the AP class. French. Whoda thunk?)

Work: Fun and games with preparing for training class next week. Literally (Yes, P. Literally.) I have fun, making up educational games. Also high-level (high level as in CEO and staff) powers that be at work have come up with a new way to torture schmucks. The illusion of career planning. Very condescending, I think. My career is my biz. I spend quite a bit of time pondering whether to lie. Don't forget that I spent Tuesday cruising quintcareers at work. Me long term at this company? Probably not, but it's none of their biz. So I decide to pretend that I have a desired career path at this company and document that. What they don't know won't hurt me.

Interesting interaction with coworker who was [w]itchy to me, for what appeared to be no reason, several months back. When The Incident occurred, I decided not to let myself get sucked into it. I pretended nothing had happened and was persistently nice to her, just like I'd always been. On the way to the parking lot yesterday, something happened (not sure what) and she opened up. I knew she was going through a divorce after 30 years of marriage. I did not know that her soon-to-be-ex was putting her through hell. He quit his job, is refusing to pay bills, and as a result, she is declaring bankruptcy to protect herself. And she's working two jobs -- seven days a week -- to keep her bills current. What is it, I wonder, that turns normal people into rabid, ravenous hyenas when divorce is involved? If you don't want to be married anymore, don't. But there is not reason to try to destroy the person with whom you shared a life, a bed, children and memories. Seriously. *shudder* Anyway. She and I bond for the first time in a long time and I decide to bring her flowers on Monday. This is a woman who needs and deserves flowers. So, so glad I decided to take the high road, even when I had no idea why she was being a [w]itch. I just didn't know what she was going through. Now I understand all too well.

Yesterday: Receive surprise gift from DFer/YAer. This makes me misty-eyed. Just The Perfect Gift. The kind that says I was listening to you months ago when you didn't realize it, and I've given you something that I know you would love and value. *misty-eyed again*

Watch/read lots of post-election analysis on TV/internet/newspapers. Wowzers. This country is changing. Also glad that there's still lots of stuff to watch. Gotta get my fix.

Also neat interaction with my usual check-out guy at Target. I strike up a conversation about how annoying/embarrassing I would find it, to be required to stand at the end of the check stand and pimp for customers, when my line was empty. Then the floodgates open. He was "written up" for not doing that, once. And so on. We end up talking about shoes and ships and sealing wax, etc. What a nice kid! It's amazing how many interesting, fundamentally good people are out there. You'll never know who they are until you reach out.

Also spend some time setting goals for the second half of my life. Hmm. Lots to think about.

A couple pretty good nights of sleep, in a row.

That's about it. :)

3wishes likes this.
  10. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Hey, P - what does pimping for customers mean? Can't figure it out and have been a Target customer for a long time. Feeling I must have missed something!

11. pygmalion

Pimping for customers = coming out from behind the register an standing by the end cap of the check out area, to let customers that want to check out know that you're available.

12. 3wishes

Up early, lots of reading in the morning. YES!
    Knees killing me from all the work outs the day before...NOOOOOOO, where's the Alleve.
    Catch up on DF - love y'all.
    Go to Aqua Fitness class, new instructor,,,,arrgghhh she has us put heads in water (I just washed my hair!).
    Body is telling me...nooooo more...your going to eat breakfast and sit for awhile. lol.
    DD calls from GeorgeTown TX Target (she's asst. mgr.), discusses her crazy hours due to Black Friday
    and informed me she now cannot take any days off until after February. Apparently this is policy for Target Mgmt.
    DD askes about us coming for the second week of kids time off from school. hmmmm airfare is ridiculous price.
    Attack my "ballroom/sewing/stoning" closet (YIKES, when did so much STUFF get in there?).
    Clean it out, re-organize, and do hard purge of my own closet as well.
    Three giant bags of clothing later and hangers...where did they all come from?
    DS calls, mom, can you please sell my smooth and latin ballroom clothing and shoes? I have this new house and no time anymore...and a blank, no grass, no sprinkler, no nothing backyard I want to get going on. uhhhhh ok then.
    Calls from Step-mother and father - "did you survive your ambitious trip?"
    Fun conversation.
    5 hours later, the two closets are done.
    Head into den/GSroom - decide to make a desk/craft table and convert to GS space as well with computer.
    Finally, decide there is no such thing as spring cleaning...it seems to happen at my house when the mood strikes.
    Poor DH, is tried just from watching me.
    Maybe he should road trip again.....without me....soon. ROFL.

13. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Interesting. I though that's what the cashier light is for.

14. pygmalion

Here in Texas, pimping for customers is required at all the grocery/big box stores I shop, not just Target. I found it very strange when I moved here. It's very similar to the custom, back in Florida, of having a grocery bagger take your shopping cart to the parking lot to help you unload the cart and load your car. (Incidentally, in Texas, the unloading service is offered as well, with big loads or if you look like you need help -- if you have two carts, are visibly pregnant, are old, etc. It's just not required, that I can tell. In FL, it was required, even if all you had in your cart was one box of tissues.)

Imagine my surprise, when I moved to Florida from the Northeast. In PA, where I grew up, not only did you not get assistance unloading groceries, in a lot of cases, you didn't get a bagger either. Grocery stores wanted you to bag your own. lol. A lot of my Northeast transplant to Florida friends spent weeks trying to figure out how to tip, only to find out that the grocery baggers were not allowed to accept tips for doing their jobs.

It's a different culture everywhere you go.

15. pygmalion

I'm glad she doesn't live further north in Texas than she does. Back in Feb 2011, the Target store management in DFW was basically required to live at the store for a week, when we had a giant ice storm. They didn't get to go home at all.

DS and I are going to do a road trip that week. Flying anywhere is way too expensive. But, because of the way the holidays fall this year, DS has the first week of January to do nothing. So I figure he and I can do nothing together. Wouldn't mind seeing some of either East Texas, the Texas hill country, or Oklahoma. Lots of Native American stuff in OK, from what I've heard.

16. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

Wow, Pygmalion! A lot going on for you, between thinking about switching companies and setting goals for the second half of your life. Inspiring.

And yay for reaching out to the Target employee. Is Target a grocery store where you live as well as a budget-friendly dept store?

++++

FRIDAY:
    9:10-ENG 1101. Discuss Best Practices for oral presentations. Also show them the YouTube video "Life After Death by Powerpoint," which I think is quite funny.

10, 10:20, 10:40, 11--Student registration appointments. (We're picking classes for Spring 2013. Sophomores go Monday-Tuesday, and first-years go Wednesday-Thursday of next week.)

Lunch break.

12, 12:20, 12:40, 1, 1:20, 1:40, 2, 2:20, 2:40, 3--Student registration appointments, followed by an hour long student paper appt. (with the ASL translator.) This turns into a somewhat crazy afternoon b/c the registration system is running very, very slow, so even doing things like getting the list of available courses on the screen will sometimes take several minutes. This makes it a lot harder for me to get my job done. I eventually wound up running 20 minutes behind due to this. Ugh.

Back when I was on time and even a few minutes ahead, I ran to the school store to get some fruit. When I re-entered the building, a male colleague said "I just don't think it's fair. You and I must be around the same age, and you've had a kid, but you look like THAT, and I look like this." He then said something other things implying I'm really fit and in shape. I'll take that compliment.
    4:30--Done for the day. Breathe!
    Except I check my email and discover a mess I'll have to untangle. Ugh!!!

Home. Dinner.

6:30--Piscataway Nation Dancers and Drummers at college for Family Fun Night.

17. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

I really like that too, when they let you order kid sizes. Typically I would be happy eating kid size portions wherever I go, as I usually order the adult portions and pack the rest to go. Can't do that for ice cream so I usually share...or go without...

18. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

FRIDAY:
    Scheduled in person interview for job (2nd round was a couple weeks ago by phone) for the 14th
    Worked for 4 hours
    Drove 1.5 hours to Latin dance haven't been to in a while, tried to have fun, drove back and got back home at 2:30am. wash-out. Dances this week haven't really done anything for me....I wonder why. I hope that today's dance from 8-midnight helps out...

19. pygmalion

Yes. I have a lot on my plate, which I consider not necessarily a bad thing, but who knows? *shrug*

Yes. Of the six (or maybe seven) Target stores within a fifteen mile drive of me, all except one are (is? are? is? lol) a Super Target, which sell (seriously gotta figure out if this is singular or plural) a full selection of groceries and wine, in addition to the usual Target stuff. Very cool. In all honesty, the breadth of selection is not very good compared to a grocery store like Safeway, but the depth is much better in certain areas, like organic foods (fresh, refrigerated or frozen) and off-the-wall stuff, like niche hot sauces and weird beers. Full service deli counter and in-store bakery. Hot entrees for take-out. A really good selection of fresh salsa, guac and hummus (in-store made and pre-made national and niche brands.) It's a little pricier, overall, but not by any means expensive. And who can beat the ability to buy a pair of sweat pants for DS, cheap Christmas decorations for the office, fresh-baked cupcakes, organic apples, and a frozen turkey breast all in one trip, like I just did?

20. 3wishes

wow, pyg, you DO have alot going on for you and yours. Yes, my daughter went from the Pflugerville SuperTarget where she was hired and opened the new store, recently promoted (only happens with a 4 year college degree) and then transferred to GeorgeTown Superstore off of Route 45 (I dropped her off a couple of weeks ago and was stunned, by the sheer number of stores in the plaza I soooo wanted to go shop at, but had to get back to kiddos and DH in Round Rock. DD reminds every staff/employee that customer service is first priority and assisting any customer, not just walking by them....is what brings a person back (she's miffed that some employees ask her why they need to ask if a person needs help....it makes her crazy.
    So yesterday, as well, got an earful of her insane schedule - finally asked her if she wanted to come to Calif. and clean out my closets...and lo and behold....SILENCE. Pure Silence. Then, yesterday, she thought about it and asked,,,"does that include your Christmas China"...uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....hello? I'm not dead yet DD. rofl. end of conversation.