yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. NURDRMS

NURDRMS Well-Known Member

First morning in three weeks that I didn't have to get up early and I wake up before dawn anyway. Sheesh. Work on friend's smooth dress. She wants fishing line in the hems (six layers of skirts!) Thank goodness for my trusty serger. Work on my own theater arts costume. Jog on treadmill...prefer to run outdoors but winter is kicking in. Shower and off to WONDERFUL dinner with friend at cozy place that specializes in wild game (elk, antelope, etc.) Had the best dessert...sugared jalapenos with white chocolate mousse. Yum!
  2. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

SAT: Volunteer at Gift Shop (Forget my cutlery so cannot eat lunch that I brought with me. I also notice a $5 discrepancy at the end of the day, and so oh well...another first....). Lector at Mass and fumble as I read (Oh well, chalk it up to lack of sleep day....).

Dance Social : Have a great time, not fantastic, but a better than good time. Best dance all week...making up for all my other drives and lack of what I seek. :) Temp rising with it in the 50s at 1:00am when it was 40s at 6pm! Weekend ending with a bang and a great introduction to the new week SUNday. :)
  3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

@CCM I think that we lived in a very different world than our kids do. DS's school has a no tolerance bullying policy that has gotten kids suspended for the smallest infractions. Unbelievable stuff. In some cases, I think there has been major overreaction. Not sure if it's fear of liability or what. I do remember that, when I was in K-12, the mean kids and bullies pretty much had free reign. They did whatever they wanted. It wasn't just your school. It was a different cultural climate, back then. Don't forget, back then was a time when a sixteen-year-old with debilitating cramps could actually take Midol to school in her purse without getting expelled. Heaven forbid that girls with cramps should have access to Midol. It's a slippery slope, you know. Today it's Midol. Tomorrow, crack cocaine. Short story: It's a different world. Some things about it are good; some are bad. *shrug*

@NURDRMS. I know I should have asked long ago, but how are things in your neck of the woods? I know that your home was spared, when the wildfires came through, back in the summer. I also remember your alluding to neighbors that suffered terrible loss. I know it's been months. ( Was that June or July?) but it often takes more than a few months, to get back to "normal." Is everybody okay?

@Sagitta. Your gift shop experience reminds me of a story I heard on NPR about a year ago. There was a volunteer-run museum gift shop that was losing money left and right, and nobody could figure out why. When the guy in the story implemented some very simple controls and monitoring, it turned out that EVERYBODY was stealing, just a little bit. Rounding up by a quarter here. Giving away a free poster there. Borrowing a scarf and forgetting to return it. Taking change for the subway from the petty cash box. Little bitty things that added up to a ridiculous rate of loss. Not suggesting that that is happening at your gift shop. I just found that story interesting. There were no evil grand larcenists (Is larcenist a word?) There were just little old ladies who liked pretty scarves or who needed change for the bus. *shrug*
    ChaChaMama likes this.
  4. pygmalion

Weekend overview in no particular order.

Crisis at work, and everyone is invited to go in on Saturday and/or Sunday to put out fires. Strictly voluntarily, of course. So I went ... NOT!!! Are you kidding me? What's that saying? Failure to plan on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part (or something like that.) Pssh. Home for the weekend.

GF with ministry in South Dallas (aka the hood) invites me to go and help feed the homeless Thanksgiving weekend. This is their biggest weekend of the year. And the ministry serves mostly single women and their children who, for the most part, live in their cars. This cause touches me so deeply, but I am conflicted. I HATE the idea that, if you're homeless in November or December, you can get a hot meal or a winter coat or toys for your kids. But if you're homeless in July, a lot of the time, you're SOL. It bothers me. SO. MUCH. OTOH, what's the point of NOT doing something, whenever you can? So I cave and commit to get my heinie (sp?) and DS's heinie there. I also go to Kroger and get more than a case of canned green beans for only $0.50 a can. Much less expensive than buying the food service cans of green beans, if you do the math. And I manage to score a bunch of boxtops for 3W's GS. Win. Win. Win. :) I'm also going to make a giant crockpot full of my soon-to-be-famous Texas-style pinto beans. Add in another win. Those puppies are good!

Cold front comes in and makes me even grumpier than I already was. Okay. Fine. Get cold if you want, but could you at least rain enough to wash the bird poop off my car? lol.

DS goes over to BFF's house and plays Halo 4 for five hours. Seriously. Five hours? Oh well. I suppose that some things weren't meant to be understood. Besides. That's five hours of don't have to be a Mom time. In deference to DS's new found manliness, I refrain from using the words PLAY DATE. but you know what I mean.

Go to Target and Dollar Tree and buy a bunch of cheap** (or perhaps I should say inexpensive) holiday decorations for home and office. I know it's crazy, but seasonal decorating (of the office in particular) has really helped me stay upbeat, through a very, very difficult year. Especially now that half my posse is gone and the other half is planning to leave, I must keep a stiff upper lip. So decorate I shall. Aside: I also find Butterfinger Bells, which can only be found during the winter holiday season. Oh. My. Goodness! Just the perfect amount of pseudo-chocolatey goodness!!! Cheap chocolate lovers: Hasten thee to your local Target stores and buy some bells before they sell out!!! Just sayin. Loves me some Butterfinger.

While at Target, have my faith in humankind *somewhat* restored. Whoever "stole" DS's gym pants last weekend returned them sometime during the week. When the pants first disappeared, I called Target a couple times and asked. Nothing had been turned in. But, when I got to the store yesterday, somebody had brought the bag back in. It must've been a couple days ago, because the gym pants had been restocked. But I got my money back (the receipt was in the bag and I had my credit card.) AND in even better news, the Domo for President shirt that I bought DS on clearance last weekend had been re-stocked, but hadn't sold yet. DS got his pants and shirt of choice and I got my money back. Yay!

** Aside: How do folks feel about the word cheap? Many moons ago, I knew a woman who absolutely refused to use the word. She thought it was derogatory. She'd say things like, "It was a bargain," "Very reasonable," etc. Never, ever cheap. People can be very peculiar when it comes to their relationships with words.
  5. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Yesterday:

Feeling enough better that I decide Today is The Day to Make Pie Crusts; check inventory of shortening
    Head to supermarket
    Home; SIL and father are awake, which is unusual this early (~10am); father is going to city for theater, SIL and I are going to do pie crusts
    Check inventory of vodka -- don't know why I bother, b/c I have 2 bottles of vodka in freezers, but... turns out there's 1/4" of vodka in each bottle, so back to supermarket; take SIL for a cider donut, too
    Beautiful, warm, sunny day, so stop for ice cream at local frozen custard stand; I get a kiddie cup of custard-orange sherbet twist, delicious; SIL gets frozen yogurt, nonfat and sugar free (SIL largely lives on yogurt, frozen and non, pizza, Chinese food and candy; her ulcers have ulcers)
    Home, crash and burn; so much for making pie crusts
    Watch a movie and get slackjawed, exactly what I needed; SIL has never seen Shall We Dance, so I get a dance-movie fix and she gets to see something new, a win-win
    Chinese for din
    Phone conference with DB#1, who is making me some window treatments that are likely going to be ridiculously expensive, but very beautiful
    Crash
  6. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

"Cheap"
    adj
    -Costing relatively little; inexpensive; good value -- this is the sense in which you use it, and it is common in American English to use the word this way, but it's not the only, or even the major, usage
    -Of poor quality; shoddy -- I use the word this way often
    -Worth relatively little -- yeah, you say you love me, but talk is cheap
    -Not worthy of respect; vulgar; -- not so commonly used these days, you don't often hear someone describing a person as "cheap" meaning "slutty, vulgar", more likely if you call someone cheap, you mean s/he is...
    -Stingy; miserly -- you cheap bastard, you always take me to McDonalds
    -Achieved with little effort -- a cheap victory; cheap laughs, cheap thrills
    -Of small value --in that neighborhood, life is cheap.
    -Of poor quality; inferior: that toy's a cheap piece of junk

You've opened a whole line of inquiry in my mind of what's happened to American culture, since we think cheap is good -- b/c we not only get inexpensive, we get shoddy and we're used to shoddy, and we think it's good, and BAM, more of the incremental dumbing down of society that makes me so crazy, but I digress

Thx for the opportunity to put on my English Teacher Hat. It was dusty.
    Lioness and pygmalion like this.
  7. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

I don't mind the word "cheap,"...but I think it is one of those words where context is everything.

I certainly don't want to be told I look cheap, for example. :eek:

One colleague told me that another colleague only paid their babysitter $7/hr because that colleague was "cheap," and that definitely wasn't a compliment. (Admittedly this was quite a few years ago, but I was paying $10.)

On the other hand...
    I have been told I'm a cheap date (because I don't drink), and I don't mind that.

And cheap prices on stuff I want are always welcome. [Well, okay. Not quite true. Not if they come hugely at the expense of workers, which is why I don't shop Wal-mart. And even if I were a Black Friday kind of person, I would NOT shop at any of the stores that are opening ON Thanksgiving, forcing employees to give up a family-oriented holiday. Sort of a tangent to your original topic, I recognize, but not messing over the working-class is a core value for me.]
  8. ChaChaMama

SUNDAY:

AM--Wrote in my diary.
    Read with Child.

PM--Went to the college gym shortly after it opened. (It doesn't open until 1 PM on Sundays. Given the reality of college life, this makes sense.)
    Put in 5.5 miles on the treadmill.

Home to 3 PM meeting with builder...but he's earlier and beaten me there! Guess I don't have time for a shower.

The guy is super laconic and I sometimes think he thinks I'm an idiot, but that is okay. (I had questions about the healthiness of the air in the basement, because RIGHT NOW it is dusty and I don't know if there is also mold, but my allergies go into overdrive. So I asked if we needed to get someone down there to do remediation before then. He asked "Have you SEEN mold down here?" Um, no? He seemed to think the finished walls would take care of the dusty problem.) He did make nice comments about my having been at the gym, so I think he means well.

It was super nice to have both turkey chili and the bean salad in the fridge all prepared and ready to go for today!
  9. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Oooh, Pyg!!! Will you post your recipe for your pinto beans? Love me some beans. Always looking for a new way to try them.
  10. pygmalion

I've said it before; I'll say it again. You crack me up!

This discussion reminds me of an old AT&T long distance commercial from the early 1990s. In it, a woman with a very prominent nose makes fun of lower priced phone service providers by saying, "Cheap! Cheap! You won't get anything this cheap at AT&T!" thereby making your point for you, j_alex. In American culture, there's often the assumption that cheap is a good thing. AT&T was pointing out that cheap can be cheap in quality, not just price. Ironically, AT&T lost that argument and a huge percentage of their market share, by not being cheaply priced enough.
  11. pygmalion

Yet another fine reason to avoid Walmart, as if discrimination again women and people of color, decimation of small-town America, and predatory business practices weren't enough.

Not that I have any strong opinions on the subject, mind you.
  12. pygmalion

Sure. It's pretty simple. I'll dig it out and put some actual measurements in the recipes thread.

Short hand version: Soak the beans overnight. Next morning, drain the water. Plunk the beans and some fresh water or veggie broth, a jar of salsa, some garlic, salt, pepper, bacon, chili powder, chopped onion and some celery into a large crock pot. Go to work. Come home and eat. Gotta love anything that involves nothing but a crock pot.
  13. Peaches

Thanks for the recipe! Ima def'ly hafta make those. (Once I finish with the stuff already in the freezer.)
  14. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

sun...drive from louisville to indy... 11-6: practice, lessons, practice, dinner, practice....go horizontal from 6 pm on

mon...bank, lunch, practice, lessons, shop....horizontal again
  15. pygmalion

No huge updates today. I'm finding that every few days works better for me,YA-wise.

Just wanted to check in and say that I did give the flowers to The Lady Who Was Mean to Me. I went out of my way to get pink flowers (She's a cancer survivor and wears pink at every single opportunity.) Pink alstroemeria. Very pretty. I also wrote her a card.

I gave her the flowers at about 9:00 in the morning. She said nothing other than a perfunctory thanks. So I wrote it off and figured oh well. Nothing ventured. Nothing gained.

Finally, at about 4:30, I got an email from her. Pretty terse, 'cause that's just the way she is. But the email said, something like "I give you my true thanks," and it mentioned how many people had stopped by and asked about her pretty flowers and how much she and others enjoyed those flowers today.

Priceless. She didn't say much, but I know she had to dig deep to get those words out. It's hard to try to see things from the other person's perspective and even harder to apologize, however tacitly. I really appreciate her willingness to try.

That made my day.
  16. pygmalion

So did this story (which I somehow deleted by moving my mouse in the wrong direction. Did I mention that I hate laptops?) Definitely worth the re-typing, though.

GF, Coworker and I often get into discussions about our kids. Today the discussion was about the joys of parenting boys with their unique boy-ness. (No. I don't mean boyishness. I mean boy-ness, something my BIL calls, "Just being a boy.")

Coworker's son (who is now 24, I think) asked, at age fifteen, to get circumcised. Against her motherly, protective instincts, she let him. Ouchie. *shuddering at the mere thought* But she let him. His recuperation period was two weeks. He had to stay home from school for two weeks.

One day during that two-week period, she came home from work as usual and went into his room to check on him. When she walked into his room, he was sitting in the middle of the floor, eating Cheetos, playing video games, "butt naked, with his little 'thing' up on a pillow." He said, 'Mom. It hurts so bad, I can't put anything on it." She said (yesterday) "I just backed out of the room and let him him keep playing video games. What could I say?"

I howled when she told this story. What a visual! Oh! The joy of parenting boys.
  17. Peaches

LOL. Fantastic story! (Although I'm biting my tongue about stuff.)

Lessee...the weekend...

Saturday--I think it was pretty boring for most of the day. Tried to install new shelves in our shelving unit downstairs, for holding all of my canning stuff. (Stacking jars in boxes does NOT work. You can't find anything, and you always have to be moving stuff around in order to get to the stuff on the bottom. Too easy to forget about stuff.) That didn't work so well. Turns out we'd have to take everything out of the storage area, everything off the shelves, move the shelves out, and take them apart. Oy. We decide to put it off until Sunday, and I make a start by removing all of the stuff from the shelves and storage area. We look around and realize that more *stuff* came out of there than everything we had moving into our first apartment. I decide that we need to downsize and start looking at micro-homes (as in, about 85 square feet). DH gives me his you-are-bat-[poo]-crazy-and-I'm-vetoing-this-out-of-hand look. And rightly so, truth be told.

Er...something during the afternoon. Stands to reason.

To friend's house for a party in the evening. Have a fantastic time, and laugh A LOT! Also have permission (both from DH and from friend) to crash, so I can have fun without worrying about driving home. :) Crash after party, on couch, and sleep better than I have at home for a very, very, VERY long time. ...at least for five hours.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Sunday--Wake up and realize I really should have had some water before going to bed. Splitting headache. Ah well. Wander upstairs, get water, get Advil; take three, wander back downstairs, and try to go back to sleep. Limited success. Problem: taking three Advil on an empty stomach leads to much stomach unhappiness. Ruh-roh.

When friend wakes up I head back upstairs and finish getting ready to head home. Also nibble crackers, which make my stomach happier. Have a very enjoyable drive home, just because the weather is so gorgeous.

Home. DH makes me the best breakfast quesadilla ever: scrambled eggs, cheese, some Tobasco, and jalepenos. Talk about hitting the spot. He makes the best quesadillas (or "Critter-dillas--with the double L mispronounced--as I call them).

Get to chopping apples. I peeled and chopped a whole lotta apples. Then I got to stripping the paint in the kitchen and turning the house into an experimental tear gas chamber. Which is to say, I made apple chutney. Good stuff, but dear god! Vinegar, mustard seed, ginger, and onions are...um...strong.

Can chutney.

Get the shelves taken apart, new shelves installed, and put back together. Make a start on putting all the crap back on the shelves. Give up after a while.

Veg for rest of evening with DH--watching TV on Netflix, chatting.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Monday--do all the chores I hadn't done over the weekend. Got a Sam's Club membership, went grocery shopping, put away six loads of laundry, get the storage area sorted, spend some quality time with iTunes and
    Shazam, figuring out previously-missing information.

Feels like more, but that's about it.

Veg with DH in the evening.
  18. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I saw Skyfall Saturday afternoon, and I thought it was the best James Bond movie in a long while. Daniel Craig did a great job. I liked that the movie showed a little different side of James Bond, a little older, and a little more vulnerable and less than perfect. I liked as well the movie presented a backstory of his beginnings. The movie introduced actors which will keep the franchise fresh for awhile: Ralph Fiennes (Gareth Mallory), Naomie Harris (Eve Moneypenny), and Ben Wishaw (Q). I've got to say, bring on more Ben Wishaw - loved him!!! The movie had one tragic but not entirely unexpected loss; that's all I can say without giving away a spoiler.
  19. ChaChaMama

@Peaches--That chutney sounds amazing. I have had peach chutney (love!) but never apple.

+++
    MONDAY:
    Very routine day. I believe it went more or less like this.
    9:20, 9:40, 10, 10:20, 10:40, 11--Student appointments.
    Lunch and prep.
    12:40--VICTORIAN. Jude the Obscure.
    2:15, 2:35, 2:55, 3:15, 3:35, 3:55--Student appointments.
    4:30--Phone call type appt with student not on campus. (Mom had a second brain tumor surgery this year and Dad is not in the picture, so she goes home Fri-Mon to help out.) E-mail to the head of a program to try to help this student get what she needs for Spring 2013).
    5--Home. It has been a gorgeous day weather-wise--not that I saw much of it--but I can feel it starting to cool down. Tuesday is going to be considerably colder.

Home and immediately get hit up with somewhat bad news from Husband. I have tried to suggest that it might be possible not to hit someone up with bad news within the first five minutes many, many times over the years. I am apparently talking to myself. At least he doesn't call me at work to tell me this stuff.
    Child and Husband leave for ice skating rink.

Talk to my Dad about plans for this weekend. He and Mom are going to take Child to "Spiderman: Turn Off the Dark" while I am at OSB.

Go through a box of stuff from the recent basement clean-up project. Find lots of cute stuff from kindergarten-4th grade.
  20. pygmalion

And there's plenty to bite your tongue about. As in there's no way I'd allow/encourage my fifteen-year-old to have elective surgery that's most likely related to nascent sexuality during the middle of the school year and laugh about it. And why do so many people tacitly give boys permission to engage in risky sexual behavior? And what gives with circumcision, anyway? And what the heck ever happened to privacy? Couldn't she have knocked before entering his room unannounced? And much more.

But hey. It's still a funny story.