yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Actually the manager messed up the tally the previous day. She did Friday's tally, found the missing $5 and apologized to me for not doing what she should have done on FRiday. :)
  2. Sagitta

Monday - Quiet day enjoying the outdoors. Also, did my 1 hour Tai Chi class and the west coast swing class at night.
  3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Glad to hear it. :)
  4. pygmalion

I guess I should clarify the remark about circumcision. Sounds like I'm anti. I'm not anti or pro. I figure folks get to make their choices BUT I know that the ex had his done as a teenager, due to a recurrent, miserable skin infection in that ... ahem ... area. From what he told me, the pain of recovery from having the procedure done as a young adult was excruciating. He absolutely insisted that DS have it done as an infant. I, in return, insisted that DS have it done on his eighth day of life, in the Jewish tradition. I've read research in more than a few places that the pain of circumcision is minimized on that eighth day. God knew what he was doing when he told the Jewish people what to do. :cool:

There is no absolutely no way I would allow my teenage son to have the procedure just because he wanted it, which is what my coworker said. My GF and I both assumed that the boy must've been ill. No. He just wanted it. Seriously?

And, if (it were relevant and) DS suddenly decided he wanted that procedure, he and I would have to discuss why he wanted it. What a hoot that conversation would be. "Who's been looking at your wee-wee, son?" lol. (No. I don't call them wee-wees. It just sounds funnier than the appropriate anatomical term.)
  5. NURDRMS

NURDRMS Well-Known Member

@NURDRMS. I know I should have asked long ago, but how are things in your neck of the woods? I know that your home was spared, when the wildfires came through, back in the summer. I also remember your alluding to neighbors that suffered terrible loss. I know it's been months. ( Was that June or July?) but it often takes more than a few months, to get back to "normal." Is everybody okay?

Pyg, area is still recovering. Those who lost homes will be at this for a while. Even friends who 'only' had smoke damage were out of their homes for more than a month. We are forever grateful for the firefighters, many of whom flew in from far away to help fight the wildfire. The biggest danger in the near future will be in the springtime, when the snow melts and there is no foliage to hold the mud in place. Thanks so much for asking.
  6. pygmalion

I'm glad to hear that the recovery is happening. I'm just so sorry that it has to. I don't know what else to say. It's so huge and overwhelming. :(
  7. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

@pygmalion--Hilarious story.

@NURDRMS--I'm glad to hear recovery is proceeding...but that's scary to think about what could happen in spring. Is there anything that can be done to shore up the land? Sounds like a problem for an engineer.

++++
    TUESDAY:
    Put away laundry before work.

9, 9:20, --, 10, 10:20, 10:40, 11--Student appts. Except 9 AM doesn't show. Oh lookie, she sent me an e-mail. She's sick and health services can see her at 9 so she won't be coming. "Have a nice day!" Um...pretty chipper for a sick person. And I note no attempt to re-schedule or to ask if I can read her pages anyway. Huh.

11:30--Department meeting. Omg, we laugh so much. We discuss some serious stuff, too, but we giggle a lot. One of my colleagues is slated to teach a class called Historical Novels of the Black Diaspora. She has a poster showing some of the books, and it looks like a great course...but it's not filling. I suggested that the word "diaspora" scares some students...and she suggested she should rename it "Books Oprah Likes." The department envisioned a HUGE waiting list!

1, 1:20, 1:40, 2, 2:20--You guessed it: student appts!

2:45--Just as I am leaving work, a bombshell from a colleague. And it's a secret, so I'm not supposed to tell anyone until he's had a chance to. Omg. He actually e-mailed me and my husband before even telling the Provost! (This is not someone I'm super close to, but there are reasons why my husband and I would care.)

3--Pick up Child.

Discuss this breaking news with Husband.

Read with Child.
    Get Child ready for dance.

5-8:30--Child has her 3 back to back dance classes.
    I alternately watch and read Chinua Achebe's There Was a Country: A Personal History of Biafra.

9:30ish--Put Child to bed.

Stay up later than I should have, but eventually go to bed myself.
  8. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

ohhh CCMM I LOVE turkey chili! yum-o.
    Yesterday, ring ring goes the phone, "uhhh, pretend we need you...would you consider a contract and work for 180 days"...DH and I stare at each other, pretty much knew this call was coming. Consideration in process.
    Conference call with Aunts, Uncles, Cousins (on both sides of my family).
    Help them sort out what to expect in recovery, rebuilding, replacing, their issues, what to get ready for...etc. etc.
    Also, inform them that the second best Christmas present to each other would be pre-packaged survival kits (lots are on the market my personal favorite is SOS vendor), that also include Solar powered battery chargers for cell phones and computers/radios/flashlights (yes, as my cousins are shocked that , solar powered battery chargers in survival kits).
    Take DH to Bed, Bath and Beyond - almost done going through the house. Poor him.
    Thanksgiving plans are forming up.
    Step-father brushes off invitation to come with us - not unexpected.
    Calls to former co-workers and strike team.
    DH sees gears in head turning....reminds me that there is snow on ground and the hill is open now...
    ahhhh the great outdoors, love it.
    Furniture hunt starts for empty room, decide to make a crafting corner to include sewing machine and somehow, futon for GS#2 that folds out to bed, TV wall for his Wii system and some sort of bookcase as GS#2 is a most avid reader, recently informed by his private school he is the top reader in his entire school...WOW...as I stare at DH who is also avid reader from the day I met him.
    Lesson with Pro in evening, I'm sure I said daytime only..mention this to pro...who apologizes...
    Learn new silver ChaCha - that just about killed me with the timing...holy moly.
    Taking on Silver Smooth - now that was fun...and ended with Mambo.
    Head out to make it home before DWTS results show.
    Settle in for the evening, review Gym class schedule, Aqua fitness is my new go-to class, and finally decide that I will try a spin class...hmmmmm, skiing seems so much easier all of a sudden. lol.
  9. NURDRMS

NURDRMS Well-Known Member

Prior to the winter snowfall starting, the forest service (I think) used helicopters to lay down a layer of sawdust on the mountainside to try to contain the mud once the snow melts. But these are the Rocky Mountains and they are STEEP so it would have to take some pretty dramatic (and costly) engineering efforts to come up with a mudslide solution.
  10. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Monday:

Skip ballet; need to save my strength for
    Lesson, in which we have fun and frustration in equal measure
    Stop to see ex, pack a package, prep it for shipment when the PO re-opens
    Stop to see DB#1, this takes hours, and some Stuff comes to the fore, most unexpectedly; we spend equal time talking window treatments, dance, and family
    Home, make pie crusts; check freezer, yes, there is still crust in there since last year; need to find out if it's still usable, so make a cherry pie; father declares it delish
    Remember to cancel hotel at Ohio, since it turns out I'm not going after all
    Z
  11. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Yesterday:

Try to ship box via PO; get a clerk who decides to challenge the contents; give up for the day
    Get my eyelids done; they had collapsed to such an extent that they lay on my eyelashes and I was losing ~40% of my eyesight unless I either raised my eyebrows all the time or scotch taped them to my hairline (fugeddaboudit); procedure is not so bad, but the valium and vicodin destroy me, and I am asleep for the rest of the day, barring a brief soup break
  12. pygmalion

@3W. I thought about you yesterday and thought about the very high probability that your former bosses would call you in to help. I honestly hope that you will be blessed, no matter what you choose to do. If you decide to do the consultant gig for six months or even longer, for sure you'll fill in a huge gap. People with your experience are hard to come by. OTOH. You planned for and earned your retirement. Disasters happen, all the more frequently these days, it seems. Maybe it's time for someone else to carry the burden. You carried your fair share and then some. Whatever you choose, go with God. He has your back.
  13. pygmalion

Nothing much yet, so no official check-n, although I will really try to develop the self-discipline to post something substantive tomorrow.

One thing today. Doing training, which is one of my fave job assignments. Today, I was scheduled to work the afternoon -- 1:30 to 4:30. At the last minute, the morning trainer announced that she had to leave early to take care of stuff at home. No problem. She left at 11:30. So, instead of starting lunch at 12:30 as scheduled, the trainee dudes started lunch at 11:30. I was rescheduled to train from 12:30 to 4:30. Awesome, since I needed to cover three topics today. Four hours is so much better than three.

Lo and behold, the newbs didn't turn up after lunch at 12:30 or 12:45 or 1:00. They came at 1:30 and were shocked that they hadn't somehow gotten a two hour lunch as a reward for surviving two and a half days on a new job. I was really ticked. I needed that classroom time, to cover the material in the time allotted. I was forced to spend all afternoon rethinking my game plan. But I acted like it was okay. Just a miscommunication. Blah. Blah. Blah. A two hour lunch. Seriously. I've worked here for years and have a one hour lunch that I usually work through. Grrr. I'm such a witch. The stuff we didn't cover, I gave them as homework. I spent an hour sitting in a classroom waiting, while they (to quote them) enjoyed an hour in the sunshine. Grr again. Let them do their dadburned homework while I eat bon-bons and DF. In the interest of full disclosure, I don't like bon-bons. It's just the principle of things.
  14. ChaChaMama

WEDNESDAY:
    9, 9:20, 9:40, 10, 10:20, 10:40, 11, 11:20--Individual student paper appts. Except 11:20 is a no-show.

Lunch.

12:40--VICTORIAN LITERATURE. Gerard Manley Hopkins! I had originally planned two classes on him and really need that, but given that we were 1 day behind, and then lost another day to Hurricane Sandy, I foolishly convinced myself that we could do just one day. Went over some Hopkins terms and concepts, then we did "God's Grandeur" and "Carrion Comfort."

2:15--Individual student paper appt. 2:15 appointment person knows 11:20 appointment person well and sees "No show" written next to his name. I can tell there will be follow up. [Sure enough, there was an apologetic e-mail later.]

3--Pick up Child.

Omg. Treadmill has arrived and been set up by professional people and it looks AMAZING! It is the Nordictrack x9i Incline Trainer. I'm actually pretty excited to try it out. In fact, both Husband and Child walked on it for a few minutes yesterday because it's just so cool and feature-heavy that techno-geeks find it irresistible. (That was not a cutting remark, btw. Husband is a proud technology geek.) (Side note: Irresistible is apparently a hard word for me to spell. I can't say that "irresistable" or "irresistible" looked better to me, so I looked it up. I also struggle with words like "moveable" or "movable." I guess I missed that day in school.)

Unfortunately, Husband can only give it a few minutes whirl b/c he is still feeling crummy. He has been sick since we came home from Disney--24 days ago! So he got a really early jump on this year's winter cold/cough season.

Read with Child.

Got her ready for dance.

7-8--Child had ballet. I read Achebe's There Was a Country. This is the second book I've read this year about the Biafran-Nigerian Civil War and I am stunned and amazed by how little I knew about it before. In the part I was reading last night, Achebe makes a powerful case that what the Nigerian government was attempting to do to the Igbo people was genocide.

Achebe points out that this was well before Rwanda. Are there lessons that could have been learned...but weren't?
    Put Child to bed.

Pack a little for OSB. (Just watching this year.) Fool around on computer. Check out my enrollment numbers. My ENG 1101 for spring is so far the only section to close out! Makes me happy. Two of my advisees will be in it, which makes me double happy. My GWII, on the other hand, is the only one (out of three) that did not close out, but I am also the only one of the three professors who does not teach GWI, so I am an unknown quantity to most of these students. And I still got a healthy 14 students (cap is 20).

Dog gets into something unspeakably foul and stinky on his last bathroom break of day and Husband has to bathe him even though it is like 10:30 PM. It was NOT optional! Why do dogs have to be fascinated by and investigate every smelly thing in the natural world? :confused:
  15. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Yesterday, experimented re-making Austin Pizza with Stubbs Bar B Que Sauce instead of tomatoe base, fresh pizza dough and fresh cheese....DH gives his comments since he's the one who cannot stop talking about the Pizza we had down there. He likes it but a little more experimenting to go probably.
    Head out to furniture store - with DH - come home with nothing for that empty room.
    DH informs me his sister and BIL (who is 6'5") will be coming next June and staying with us for a week or more.
    HUH? Head spins around, and just where - will the child, your sister (gets the queen guest bed) and your BIL who is taller than any bed we have ever owned (sleep?). Inform DH - you realize BIL sleeps in the basement apartment because of his C-PAC machine for his sleep apnea right? You realize we have one bed right?
    DH stares at me....reply to me is...."oh, I forgot about that, well, we'll make do" uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hmmmm.
    miffed (love the family, now the "where to put people" puzzle begins).
    Walked 5 miles.
    Cleaned out the hallway closet! Almost done!
    DD calls, has opportunity to become the teacher she always wanted to be for Special Education, fingers crossed.
    DD calls again, we all talk about opportunity, options, staying with Target or not, considerations...etc.
    Now it's wait and see - if I could cross my toes I would...don't go there Pyg.
  16. Sagitta

Both moveable and movable are correct. I wonder what would happen if I mixed spelling variations for the heck of it, deliberately, such as first saying I realize that it is Thursday, but you got to realise that your Monday is actually my Friday. hmm....
  17. pygmalion

Now you know why I use firefox. Love that built-in spell checker! :)
  18. ChaChaMama

The funny thing is that in general I'm quite a good speller, but there are some reasonably easy words that can give me pause. I'm sure that reading a lot of British English (b/c that is my specialization) as well as American English complicates things further. The British are more prone to double consonants before a suffix, as a general rule, e.g., levelled vs. leveled.
  19. pygmalion

I am anal retentive about spelling things correctly. This does not stop me from being incapable of ever spelling certain words correctly. Mediterranean is one of those words. I just.cannot. spell.it! I type Mediterranean then have to correct it every time. No kidding. I've had to correct it twice in this paragraph. Eh. I've given up. It's not worth the angst. lol.
  20. ChaChaMama

THURSDAY:
    10--Got my brows done.

10:30--Worked out on NEW Nordictrack x9i for the first time, using the iFit features. I did a Central Park jog and a Times Square jog. The Central Park one was a little disappointing, as it is all done with Google maps, and apparently they don't have Google maps street-view photos through parts of the park, so it will just go to "No images available." You can still watch your icon advance on the map, and it will adjust the elevations just like you were in the park, but I was expecting to jog by all these landmarks! Times Square was much more fun...and also an easier run b/c it's less hilly. It was also funny, b/c the street views were ~1 year old, so I kept passing Broadway shows I have been but that are no longer playing, like "Arcadia." I thought "You know you are a slow runner when you run so slow that time has moved backward." :)

Lunch.

2:30--Got my hair done (color and flat ironed).

4--Hit the office. Sent cv for upcoming review of school. Two of my female colleagues noticed the hair immediately. One of the colleagues--who is Irish-American--said something about "You know, I should get a flat iron. Sometimes in the humidity, my hair gets a little frizzy." I said "Child, please!" and we both cracked up. I'm coping with manic frizziness half the summer and she's talking about her hair not lying 100% flat? (The other colleague who commented on my hair is A-A, so she knows re: hair that is not naturally lying straight, ever.)

Home, dinner. Sent some vital e-mails to students. Last minute item packing. (Feeling a little guilty about going, but trying to get on top of that.)

5:30--Left for airport. Miracle of miracles, traffic was not too bad! Only took a little over an hour. The Bmore Beltway is unpredictable.

8:50--Flight to OSB. Igor (my teacher's dad) is on my plane, as is the person who was volunteer coordinator for USA Dance Nationals.

I mostly read my book. Ian McEwan's Sweet Tooth just came out this week. So far, so good! I noticed the person sitting next to me had a folder labeled "Multicultural Nutrition," and might also be a professor as she is marking on the papers. I thought that was interesting...but it doesn't seem to mean what I thought it might mean. I thought it would be about nutritional issues and problems around the world, but when I glanced over, it seemed much more US based and a lot narrower, e.g., talking to childcare providers about pediatricians' instructions. (Of course, since I only glanced over a couple times, this could have been an entirely unrepresentative sample.)

10ish--Arrive. Get bag.

Check in at brand-new Hilton! Like it! It does have one of those open in the middle designs, and I'm on the 8th floor and am kind of scared of heights, but I can cope as long as I stay away from the rail.
    Unpack, decompress, bed.