yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Thanks! This is my sixth niece, in addition to two nephews...but the first in my side of the family. No, I don't care for kids, particularly ones less than about four years old. And I'd be lying if I said I wasn't horribly conflicted by the most recent niece. But I love my brother and SIL, and I am so thrilled for them, and I am thrilled by my parents' happiness. I can't offer the sort of emotional support most people can, but I can be useful and helpful in other ways, and I can hope that counts for something.

It's pretty cool, seeing my brother as a father. It's something he has been wanting since he was probably 15.
  2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Heck. When you're a new parent, what you need is someone who'll run an errand so you can take a nap. This is something I know you do and have done for your GFs. I can't imagine that your Bro or SIL would be any different, as long as no changing of the diapers is required. lol. Your willingness to Do Practical Stuff is very useful. No. You'll never understand that mushy, smushy feeling that some people get from being around kids. But don't devalue the stuff you DO understand. That's important too. :)

And congrats, btw.
  3. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

@Peaches--Congratulations! Did you get to go to Friendsgiving as well, or did the birth of the newest member of the family change your plans?

SUNDAY:
    Woke up in own home. Mmmm.
    Breakfast.
    Started in on laundry.
    Grocery store for some essentials while Husband picks up dog from kennel.
    Lunch.
    11:45-1--Read with Child.
    Put away laundry.
    Talked to Mom on phone.

2:30-7--WORK. Graded stuff.

Home for dinner. Immediately hit up with bad news from Husband re: dog. Seriously? Have I not mentioned how much I hate getting hit with bad news the second I walk in the door?

Read with Child some more.

9--5.5 miles on treadmill. Shower.
    Good workout, but I overstretched a muscle the day before...and after this workout, I'm feeling it a lot more. Ut-oh.

Putter until bed.
  4. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Congrats Peaches and enjoy the new little one...there is nothing like a favorite Auntie in the family.
    Geeezzz CCMM, your making me look bad on the threadmill...I have full approval to start exercising again..so the catch phase has begun.
    A blur of yesterdays,
    Fixed the CRAZY CURSOR JUMPING on screen thing AGAIN...scream. I have found that it is caused by "add-on" programs and have discovered that I have to completely turn off as well as unplug computer once I've deleted add-on to correct this jump/jive cursor. NO it's not the touchpad.
    Put together den/GS#2/playroom with IKEA items...not only looking good but very slim-line and fun.
    Made two pans of dressing (thanks peaches!), gravy, cranberry sauce..for DS Thanksgiving...had a great time.
    Finished, going through the house, and I do mean THROUGH the house, did a hard purge/nesting of anything I haven't used in one year/or ever...called Vietnam Veterans for Pick Up,,,,Every closet, drawer,shelf in the entire house has now been gone through, including garage...YIKES,,,,
    GS#2 visits - begs to go to LegoLand..uhhhh, nope,,,,not during a holiday...he seems ok with that...when
    all the neighbors little boys come over to play.
    Watch football, GO 49ers! What happened to the JETS? boo-birds come out.
    Make decision that now - with everything gone through, and a list of run around errands to accomplish,
    I can now start working out with a clean/free of "gotta-do" thoughts.
    YES! Christmas Decorations now down, thank you DS, I love outdoor lights more than indoor stuff....
    Staged ready to go...hmmmm....hmmmm....There's no hurry this year...this could be more fun than I thought...
    husband cringes into his book....lol.
  5. pygmalion

No time to check in officially, but I just have to dish.

DS has a DATE!!!!

Oh my gosh! He has a date. So cute. He was super casual. "Uh. Mom. Do i have anything I have to do on the second?" "No. Why?" "I promised to go to an orchestra concert." "Really?" "Yeah Mom. Someone asked me." "Really? Guy or girl?" Silence. More silence. More silence. 'Just some girl."

<Parental timeout moment to regain sanity>

"Oh. Nice. What time do you have to be there?" (I have to say I think I handled this beautifully.)

Oh. My. Gosh!!!
    dancelvr and j_alexandra like this.
  6. Peaches

No, no Friendsgiving.
  7. Peaches

Awwww. And I agree--well handled!
    j_alexandra likes this.
  8. Peaches

Yay! i'm glad it worked out for you. :)
  9. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

mon...teach step, which, because I am sick, was nearly terminal

home to tea and tylenol...remain horizontal until vet appt, which I cancelled last week so forced self to go to this week....three hundred bucks and pro-biotics for gassy cat...lovely

more tea and tylenol...attempt cottage cheese because it sounded good

wrap some presents, note that son's law school project made the Rachel Maddow show...heh...my people are changing the world...

have peppermint ice cream and wine and chat with a long lost buddy...nice end to the day until I wake at 4ish with my week long chest congestion finally deciding to break up...really?...this couldn't wait another 3 hours?
  10. Peaches

Oh, F. Eurgh. I hope you feel better.

Yesterday--8 hours of a writing for the web class, which could be summed up as: use small words, use short sentences, throw out every rule of good writing that you were ever taught...and then dumb things down again. (I refuse. And I fall back on the "know your audience" rule: people don't read what I write for fun. It's a targeted audience who can be relied upon to understand words with more than two syllables. And I'm just crotchety.)

Home early (because my brain was dead--from disuse--by 4pm). Take long walk in the chill...felt good.

Watch Sherlock with DH. Z.
  11. ChaChaMama

@Pygmalion--Good job being low-key!!! I doubt Husband or I will manage to remain as calm. (Actually, I believe Husband announced to Child "Look, there's your future father-in-law" when he and Child saw the dad of her little crush.)

@Peaches--I concur that "Know your audience" is THE most important rule. Anyone who can understand your field can also probably understand words beyond monosyllables. Keep being crotchety. ;)

MONDAY:
    9-12--6 30-minute paper appointments on 8-10 paper drafts. Papers are on mandatory minimum sentencing, the BCS (Bowl Championship Series), how diet and exercise ads target men vs. women, why there is so much unintended pregnancy in the U.S., and males in nursing.

Also one no-show...and this guy has pretty much been MIA all month. E-mail a dean. Turns out this student has mono and hadn't told any of his professors. Aha! Good to know what's going on, at least. I tell the dean that if the student needs an incomplete, I'm open to that, or alternatively, I am teaching the same course in the spring.

12:40-2:10--VICTORIAN LITERATURE. "Mrs. Warren's Profession."

2:15-4:15 or 4:30--4 more 30-minute paper appointments on 8-10 page paper drafts. Papers are on whether PE should be mandatory in the K-12 system, laws that allow students to have guns on campus (Colorado, w/Texas also considering it), hybrid cars, and campaign finance reform.

Really should stay and grade, but I forgot to pack a sandwich so my lunch was a little low on calories. I therefore wrap up necessary business for the day and head home.

Home, dinner.

Frustrating phone convo with my Mom. I hear myself basically saying "So, I can celebrate Dad's birthday on Sunday, December 2nd, or any time the weekend of Saturday, December 8th-Sunday, December 9th." Mom says Dad has been offered an opportunity to teach a continuing legal education workshop on the 8th, so can I do Saturday, December 1st? And also, it wouldn't make any sense to do a Sunday, would it? And also, Dad would prefer a dinner party to a lunch party. So I can do Saturday, December 1st, right?????
    --SIGH--
    I get that I'm lucky to have a Dad turning 72. I love my Dad. But I have a dance comp on the 1st, and I would really rather not be at the comp thinking "Wow, I hope this wraps up so I can get back to NJ and celebrate my Dad's birthday." Celebrating it on the 2nd, the 8th, or the 9th would make my life a lot more relaxing. (His actual bday is the 4th.) I really would like to stay for the rest of the comp, maybe hang out with some friends. I am having a pretty intense and busy week at work, and I would actually love to have one fricking day in my week where I don't have to RUSH from one thing to the next. I explain that I can't be sure of the timing of the comp, and my Mom's reaction is more or less "But you can probably be back by 9 PM for cake, right?" She badgers me into saying I will do my best. I'm not happy about this. I was really looking forward to Saturday, even though it is a terrible time in the semester for me to take a day off from work. Now the comp becomes just one more thing to sandwich in between other competing demands.

I realize that this is seriously not a big deal in the grander scheme of things, but it still bums me out that we apparently can't come up with a plan that accommodates everyone's needs/desires.

Write in my diary some.

Bed.
  12. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I hear you CCM...sometimes it can feel like no one else's schedule can bend but that, apparently, it is your job to be gumbie (sp?) all the time.....sometimes I just need to sit down and swish my foot around in a little pool of pity....because everyone else expects me to be wonder woman without even knowing it...and I get that it sounds pretty much like I have some martyr complex....but there are days where it is more than tempting to simply say; "look, if that is what is most convenient for everyone but me, that is fine...however, I will have to stop by on an alternate day because...just this once...I have to honor what I need"
    ChaChaMama and j_alexandra like this.
  13. Peaches

OMG. CCM, why is my mom calling you?!

Mom? Is that you?

...family. Everybody's got one...
    Lioness, pygmalion and ChaChaMama like this.
  14. ChaChaMama

Thanks you two! It made me feel better to know it's not just me.

I can say NO at work. It is harder to say NO with quite that firmness to Mom.
  15. ChaChaMama

TUESDAY:
    8:30--Arrive at work to work on grading.

9-2:30--10 30-minute student appointments on papers. Two no-shows, which gives me more time to work on grading, which I needed. Papers are on topics including gender roles in Disney movies, gender roles in reality tv programs, whether prisoners should work in prison (x2), sex ed in schools (x2). One person is struggling with the research part of writing a research paper and I spend extra time trying to help her, the upshot of which is that I only get 7 minutes for lunch. Sigh. (And this is part of why I don't want to rush around on Saturday as well.)

3--Pick up Child.

Read with Child and early dinner.
    Measure Child. This year, instead of the dance school measuring each kid, they are having parents do it. Does anyone else think this is a stupid idea? Just me? Okay.

5-8:30--Child has dance. I write in diary and watch some.

Home. Put Child to bed.
  16. pygmalion

I wish I had time to write a long, chatty post. Can't. I have to go rush around like a chicken with its head cut off. A couple quick notes, though.

I can relate to the frustration with Mom-nipulation. Can't say I never use it, though. ;)

I can also relate to the constant, constant rush caused by other people's inflexibility. Yesterday is a case in point for me. Despite the fact that I chose where to live based on the fact that DS is eligible to take the bus but could, in a pinch, walk home if he had to, he refuses to walk or take the dang bus. ("Mom, the kids on the bus can't be trusted." "Mom! I can't walk that far with my heavy back pack!") I understand his rationale (mostly) so I pick him up from school every day after work. This works out fine most days, even though EVERY DAY I have to leave work on the dot of 4:45 and don't have the flexibility to even stop for a quart of milk, before picking him up, because DS could get reprimanded for being on school grounds after the cut off time.

But yesterday, no. Things didn't work out. Yesterday, a coworker asked me (at the last minute) to fill in for her and do training from 2:00 - 4:30. No idea what she was doing. I just know that it was her or me and she "couldn't" do it so I "couldn't" say no. (Don't even get me started on the fact that I do not do training unprepared. I just don't do it.) From 12:00 - 2:00 I dropped everything I had planned for the day to throw together training materials. Grrr. Then training. At 4:30, when training ended, my clueless manager insisted that I complete my employee evaluation write-up. Never mind that it was already a day late, that I had given him my password so he had access to the electronic document, and that by complete, he meant change the writing style from mine to his. So at 4:30 (when I'm supposed to leave at 4:45) I'm changing "in addition to other responsibilities" to "along with other responsibilities." I kid you not. I'm fairly sure I did a crappy job and couldn't possibly care less. Out of the door at 4:55. A miracle.

Into rush hour traffic which gets exponentially worse every minute past 4:45, which is why I leave at 4:45.

Meanwhile I'm sweating bullets that DS is going to get written up or, worse, think I forgot to pick him up. (This is still traumatic, even when you're fifteen.) And DS picked yesterday to forget his phone, so I couldn't call him. When I got to the school, DS was fine, btw.

Okay. So bottom line, my day would have been fine and dandy if not for the poor planning and/or inflexibility of others. But, at the end of the day, I am the only one who ended up stressed to the max.

Sadly, this is a pretty typical scenario for me.
  17. samina

samina Well-Known Member

How far would the walk be for DS, P?

I'm thinking a text along the lines of "sorry luv, you're gonna hafta hoof it today..." would be appropriate on such days. There are worse things... :)
  18. pygmalion

Would have if I could have. I called him several times, but he didn't have his phone.
    samina likes this.
  19. pygmalion

In DS's defense, I will add that I'm fairly sure the bus is not entirely safe. There have been incidents of bullying and a few thefts -- not often, but often enough for me to hear about it. And his backpack weighs in the neighborhood of thirty pounds, by my estimate, not counting his camera and lunchbox which he carries separately. And it's about a 2.5 mile walk, which is a long walk with that much dead weight on your back.

ETA: And oh yeah, he'd have to cross a 14-lane highway**, which is why he's eligible for the bus. There are crosswalks in an underpass, but the school district doesn't want to be liable for having kids crossing a super highway.

But he could've walked it yesterday.

** three lanes of frontage road in each direction plus four lanes of highway in each direction. It's a big old highway.
  20. pygmalion

And btw, when I called DS, I wasn't actually going to ask him to walk home. I don't like the idea of his crossing that highway, either. But he could easily have gone to Sonic or Subway or Taco Bell, which are on the school side of the highway, and had a snack while he waited for me.

(Aside: Since he started high school, I've always made sure DS had some cash in his pocket. Refer to Being a Man Rule #1: Always be prepared to cover the check, whether you have to or not. This is especially important if girls are involved. Now that DS has a DATE, BAMR#1 may well start to kick in. Did I mention that DS has a date?)

End of the day. DS has to remember his phone.