yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. Indiana_Jay

Indiana_Jay Active Member

From my training as a (now retired) EMT, difficulty breathing should be considered an emergency. Period. I'm glad your breathing better now, but if it happens again, at the very least call the doctor and comply with whatever instructions he gives.
  2. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Sounds like a frustrating cultural clash to me. Knowing she's French, I doubt she meant or perceived it as rude at all, and may not even consider it so if the roles were mixed.

I mean, speaking as a long-time single mom, she's right on a level. Learning how to receive help graciously can be a sticking point for modern, capable American women, while European women with certain backgrounds handle that beautifully. Notwithstanding the fact you were in a hurry and she was getting in the way of doing what you needed to do, she still might have done you a favor by glibly calling attention to it... :)
  3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I think most of us can do without those sorts of favors...I now that I can ...
  4. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

re: "feminine" products, when I was a child and heard about "feminine napkins", my first thought was "Why do women need special napkins?" I remember my young female cousin brought it up and thought the same thing. And then once I learned what they were really for, I couldn't understand why they sold them in such large packages. I mean, if you only need to use one a month, that should last for years, right? Apparently the little detail about the duration and volume of the actual event escaped me... :oops:
  5. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I mentioned she was French for that very reason. I suspected that there was a cultural mismatch going on. Not that I needed to hear it then, with my stress level high and rising.

There was some truth in what she said, though. Clearly I must think so, one some level, or I suspect wouldn't have had that knee-jerk defensive reaction.
    samina likes this.
  6. pygmalion

Oh. That is hilarious.
  7. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

WEDNESDAY:
    9-12--6 30-minute appointments.
    Lunch and grading.

12:40-2:10--VICTORIAN LITERATURE. Course evaluations.
    H.G. Wells' War of the Worlds.

2:15--Last 30-minute appointment of the day.

3--Pick up Child.

Read with Child.
    Dinner.

Take Child to dance.
    Child dances. I write in diary and watch.
    Put Child to bed, not without difficulty.

11ish--Bed.
  8. fascination

doing today now as I sincerely hope nothing noteworthy is going to occur....rise from 13 hours in bed...am able to breathe though there is a good deal of stuff in chest and head....receive several lectures via phone and email from caring people (some far more diplomatic than others)...head to target to get new tree stand...spend remainder of afternoon wrestling the tree (10ft tall and 8ft wide)into submission...we are at a fragile truce...aka, if no one touches it, it may not fall down and I will not have to hurl myself from the balcony.....currently mulling over the wisdom of kringle market tomorrow, I love the city and dh is gone all next week and then the kids will be home...not certain as to whether or not I am more afraid of getting sicker, or of catching hell from concerned friends....will ponder this over claritin and moscato shortly...oh...and so excited, in addition to this wonderful new bed, the ikea sofa and ottoman come on wednesday....it has been ages since we have done any thing for the house.....and, I am pretty much done with holiday shopping...at least the major stuff
  9. NURDRMS

NURDRMS Well-Known Member

So, I have two sex ed/tampon stories. I'll start with the sex ed story first. When I was about eight for some reason my DAD decided to tell me about menstruation. He's an engineer and felt he needed to draw illustrations to help me understand. He was really intense and all I could think about was that I was missing the week's Batman episode. Ok, for the tampon story and I will apologize ahead of time if this offends anyone. Right after I first joined the Air Force all of us lieutenants were in an auditorium, waiting for the base commander (a way scary colonel) to arrive to address us. We waited and waited for him to show but he didn't come. Finally one of my fellow lieutenants took the stage and, to kill time, told the story about why he joined the Air Force. "I was working as a stock boy at the local drug store and my job was to run and check prices on items when the cashiers announced price checks over the store intercom. One day a cashier asked for a price check on tampons. Well, we'd been trained that, to avoid embarassing the customer, the cashiers were never to ask for the price of tampons over the intercom but were to quietly whisper the request to us. So I figured the cashier was asking for the price check for thumbtacks. The store carried two different kinds of thumbtacks so I got back on the intercom and asked, "Do you want the price of the kind you push in with your thumb or the kind you knock in with a hammer?" Needless to say, I was out of a job and decided to join the Air Force." The funniest part of the story was that, as he was telling it to us, the base commander quietly entered the stage behind the lieutenant and waited until the lieutenant finished the story to make his presence known.
    cornutt likes this.
  10. pygmalion

Two stories re: feminine stuff, sex education and kids, then I'll (try to find enough time to) do today.

Story #1 which I think I told before but perhaps in a different thread.

Story #1 is about the time DS, at age five or six-ish, totally out of the blue while he was taking a bath, asked me, "Mom. Why does my penis tingle when I wiggle it?" :eek: Talk about a parenting moment. Hehe. It still makes me laugh, a decade later. Thank goodness I had the wherewithal to not laugh that day.

Story #2 I got from my BFF, J. She had a little cousin, a girl who was very, very curious. One day,
    Curious Cousin found her Mom's stash of feminine napkins in the bathroom closet. Of course, she had to ask. "Mom. What are these?" "They're just napkins, honey. Put them back." No problem. Until the big Sunday dinner where the pastor was invited over. Curious Cousin's task was to help set the table. So she did. And lo and behold, when the pastor and all the guests decided to sit down at the dinner table, they discovered that CC had remembered to put a big, fat "napkin"** at each place setting, along with the knives and forks. :rolleyes: Oh ho ho. Kids will kill ya.

** This was at least thirty years ago, when napkins were VERY large.
  11. pygmalion

Oh my goodness. How did I miss this? Must've been writing and editing while you were posting.

That is absolutely hilarious. I'm getting a visual of the lieutenant with the base commander standing behind him.

Definitely a Leroy Jethro Gibbs moment. AKA head slap. Oh! What a hoot! lol.
  12. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Guess it depends how you look at it.
  13. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Duplicate post.
  14. samina

samina Well-Known Member

These stories are wonderful...the one about the lieutenant had be LOL...
  15. fascination

yes...and for me, I can do without unsolicited observations...shrug
  16. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

THURSDAY:
    9-11--4 more 30 minute appointments.

Send important e-mail to students.

11:15--Leave for Towson.
    Change into practice clothes.
    Practice.
    Phone teacher. Good I called.
    1ish-2ish--Lesson. Ran routines for comp this weekend, then worked on the open paso! I think it is the most open of my open routines, if that makes sense.

Ended early as I started to feel sick. I think I have been burning the candle at both end waaaay too much of late: getting up early to fit in extra work and/or get to work early, then staying up late to do stuff I want to do. And I think it really caught up to me.

I had been planning to go home and workout, and call about spray tanning. Decided I needed to lie down RIGHT AWAY. Yuck.

Dinner. Try to convince self I feel okay.

7:30-9--VagMon rehearsal. [I missed Thursday rehearsal the week of OSB, so felt like I had to go.]

Home. Early to bed.
  17. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I remember these well. :p The first time I had my period, I didn't have anything, so I had to borrow from my aunt. She used the super max, hospital sized napkins. They were huge! I don't think any manufacturer on the market today makes napkins this size anymore. o_O
  18. pygmalion

I think they do. I bought a couple boxes, when DS was about to be born, in anticipation of the deluge I was supposed to experience. Then I had a C-section, so the regular pads were fine.

Womanhood. Love it and hate it. :)
  19. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Pyg, my husband is also French (mothers side of family),,,and yes, he just blurts things out...after observation or my resistence to his offer to help. And, as I've run into 90% of his family...yep....they don't hold back comments that I deem as rude...it's just their cultural nature I suppose.
    pygmalion likes this.
  20. pygmalion

This. But, having spent a decade and a half of my life adjusting to a culture in which unsolicited advice is not only accepted but expected, I think that everybody has a point, here.

In American culture, offering someone ones personal observations about them and their life choices is verboten unless you're specifically asked OR very, very close to them. BUT the fact that observations are unsolicited doesn't make them untrue. AND there are many, many cultures in the world where telling the unvarnished truth is expected, even with complete strangers.

So, since only I have the whole picture of what's going on in my life, it's up to me to have both the maturity to accept and act on helpful feedback and the insight to sense when that feedback doesn't apply in my life.

Heck. I've spent the last decade in online discussion forums like this one where people who had only the slightest glimpse into my life have given me ALL SORTS of feedback, some insightful, some not applicable, some downright insulting. It's up to me to consider the source, respect the good intentions and make my own decisions.

It's all good. :)