yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. samina

samina Well-Known Member

These stories are wonderful...the one about the lieutenant had be LOL...
  2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

yes...and for me, I can do without unsolicited observations...shrug
  3. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

9-11--4 more 30 minute appointments.

Send important e-mail to students.

11:15--Leave for Towson.
    Change into practice clothes.
    Phone teacher. Good I called.
    1ish-2ish--Lesson. Ran routines for comp this weekend, then worked on the open paso! I think it is the most open of my open routines, if that makes sense.

Ended early as I started to feel sick. I think I have been burning the candle at both end waaaay too much of late: getting up early to fit in extra work and/or get to work early, then staying up late to do stuff I want to do. And I think it really caught up to me.

I had been planning to go home and workout, and call about spray tanning. Decided I needed to lie down RIGHT AWAY. Yuck.

Dinner. Try to convince self I feel okay.

7:30-9--VagMon rehearsal. [I missed Thursday rehearsal the week of OSB, so felt like I had to go.]

Home. Early to bed.
  4. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I remember these well. :p The first time I had my period, I didn't have anything, so I had to borrow from my aunt. She used the super max, hospital sized napkins. They were huge! I don't think any manufacturer on the market today makes napkins this size anymore. o_O
  5. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I think they do. I bought a couple boxes, when DS was about to be born, in anticipation of the deluge I was supposed to experience. Then I had a C-section, so the regular pads were fine.

Womanhood. Love it and hate it. :)
  6. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Pyg, my husband is also French (mothers side of family),,,and yes, he just blurts things out...after observation or my resistence to his offer to help. And, as I've run into 90% of his family...yep....they don't hold back comments that I deem as's just their cultural nature I suppose.
    pygmalion likes this.
  7. pygmalion

This. But, having spent a decade and a half of my life adjusting to a culture in which unsolicited advice is not only accepted but expected, I think that everybody has a point, here.

In American culture, offering someone ones personal observations about them and their life choices is verboten unless you're specifically asked OR very, very close to them. BUT the fact that observations are unsolicited doesn't make them untrue. AND there are many, many cultures in the world where telling the unvarnished truth is expected, even with complete strangers.

So, since only I have the whole picture of what's going on in my life, it's up to me to have both the maturity to accept and act on helpful feedback and the insight to sense when that feedback doesn't apply in my life.

Heck. I've spent the last decade in online discussion forums like this one where people who had only the slightest glimpse into my life have given me ALL SORTS of feedback, some insightful, some not applicable, some downright insulting. It's up to me to consider the source, respect the good intentions and make my own decisions.

It's all good. :)
  8. fascination

sure...what one does with it it and whether or not it is welcome or true are all separate things....just as I wouldn't respond rudely to someone who did do such a thing, I would feel perfectly within my own rights to gently let them know that they are, in my view, providing an unwanted service...if I want that sort of thing, I will ask, go to a friend(and friend means something significant in my book) or see a therapist ... sure, people are free to do it... and, and trust me, I am totally accustomed to those cultural norms...but while I frame it as rude, I am capable of grasping that it was not the intention
  9. pygmalion

Exactly. I frame it as rude, as well. I'm just used to rude people. *grin*
  10. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

9-10am Tai Chi
    10:30 to 11:30 Birthday breakfast with a couple of friends (1 had birthday 21st, and mine was 27th)
    11:30am to 2:45 pm Some internet catch-up and finished blog post for Saturday. Then a short nap in library.
    2:45- 5:15pm Ran Game Time for kids in public library
    5:30pm to 6:30pm Tai Chi
    6:30pm - 8:30pm Grocery shopping and then home
    8:30 - 11:30pm - Vegging out. Called mom as birthday is the 30th and 30th in Goa, India
    11:30pm Bed
  11. fascination

today (FRI)teach bike and bench...hear that someone has had a complaint about my class and despite having every opportunity to let me know, preferred to grouse about it to everyone else...I hate ego can take needing to tweak something here or there for someone but, given that I have always announced that I welcome feedback, and having a history of always responding well to those sorts of requests, I find it rather annoying...

moving along, new illness symptoms including swollen eyes and two other things too offensive to complete defiance of how badly things are sucking, I drive to Chicago to see dh's new office and we go to the Kringle market.....German open aire wonderland filled with hand blown ornaments and potato pancakes and many other glorious things.....

head to Fields (no, I will never call it Macy's)and buy the Frango supply....lose my home....okay then...coax body to receive rice and broccoli, which has, for the time being, not been rejected

dh has a netflix movie...I have actually seen it with pro's dtr, but it was a nice gesture on dh's part so I imagine we will watch that if I manage to stay awake....have to teach interval tomorrow, but I am now on a mission so they had better be plan for the rest of the weekend after that class is to remain in the "heavenly bed" until Monday
  12. pygmalion

I am resisting the urge to grouse that going to the doctor is not on the agenda. I know that you're a grown woman with good judgment and that you've probably had a belly full of people with far more rights than I have to fuss at you. Just checking in to say that I am concerned. Please take it as easy as you possibly can. I truly hope that you feel much better, very, very soon.
  13. fascination

I have ordered myself to begin getting well at exactly 10:01a.m. was honestly a mental wellness thing....dh and I just needed it...and, yes, I have had many a sound thrashing for it from folks all of whom I appreciate thank you
  14. Sagitta

7:00am up and breakfast plus stationary bike and shower and out of house
    9:00am dropped off car at dealer and got loan car
    9:15 to 10:20am shopping for spatulas and other baking stuff, then back home
    10:20am-4:00pm laundry, choco banana bread, lunch, plain milk toffee. Dealer calls me to say I can keep car overnight as my car isn't ready
    4:15-9:15 pm go to work, then back home
    9:15 to now (12:30am...)? Dinner, wash all cooking stuff, take pictures of treats made and put away, catch up on email.
    Now? Bed!
  15. pygmalion

Last couple of days: Nothing to write home about, in a positive or negative direction.

DS's French language children's book was a big hit with the girls because, not only was the story line cute, but because there were actual fluffy dog hand puppets attached. Apparently, girls like fluffy. *grin* Since the addition of fluffiness was my idea, I inform DS that he owes me ... more than he already did. He agrees, probably because he has no intention of ever repaying me. His tab is way too high at this point.

Yesterday, hilarious and earthy conversation with GFs at work. One lady, in particular, is a PISTOL in capital letters. Once she gets started with her stories, there's no telling where you might end up. Yesterday, we ended up at "Middle Aged Women Talking About Sex" Land. Oh my. Observations overheard: "Hmm. If I'm going to have sex, it had better be good!" and "Sex is highly overrated, if you ask me. All that grunting and sweating. And so much drama. Eww." "If I can't trust you, there's no way you're getting anywhere near my va-jay-jay." What a hoot. There's nothing quite like middle aged women talking about sex. Hilarious.

Major coup at the gas station. I figure, if I play my cards right and plan holiday and grocery shopping just right, I will be able to score a $2/gallon discount every fill-up for the rest of the year. Nice! :)

Nothing much else comes to mind but, if something interesting pops up, I'll be back. :)
  16. pygmalion

Oh yeah and I'm pretty sure that one of my neighbors died last night. When I got home from work, there was a fire engine out front. A minute later, it was joined by an EMT truck/ mobile IC Unit. Okay. Got that. Seen it plenty of times. BUT ... the fire truck left and the EMT truck was still there, an hour later. I cannot envision a scenario, other than death, in which an ICU unit would stay on the scene for an hour, with the nearest emergency room literally (I know you hate that word, Peaches, but it's actually true) two minutes away.

*sigh* I guess I'll find out later today. *sigh again*
  17. pygmalion

I've been thinking long and hard about whether to say this, but I will trust y'all and say it. My view around the rude and honest stranger approach is shaped by two scriptures. Depending on the translation, one scripture says, "All things are permissible, but not all things are beneficial," or "All things are lawful, but not all things are helpful," or "I am allowed to do anything, but not everything is good for you." The other scripture (in most translations) says, "There is a time to be silent and a time to speak."

My take? Just because I think something is true does not necessarily make it a good idea for me to say it right now or maybe even at all.

Tact, timing and discretion are also important, among other things, in my most humble view.

Bottom line? My French coworker has a truth that I am considering and will continue to think about. But she has no idea why I don't see the world the way she does.
  18. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

8:20ish--Drop Child at school.

9:10--ENG 1101. Class is supposed to be six oral reports. Three presentations go:
    -Why No Child Left Behind does more harm than good.
    -Why Colorado made the wrong decision when they decided to allow guns on college campuses.
    Two of the presenters do not show. I think this would be a very appropriate time to say TDNWMH.
    To make matters worse, one of the girls there is co-presenting with one of the absentees. She texts her. We wait.
    While waiting, I notice the clock in the room is wrong. I stand on a chair to take it down and change it. I drop it and break it. Glass everywhere.
    After 10 minutes of waiting for late girl, I let the class go...and then late girl shows. I do not say "It's okay!" because it really isn't, but I do tell her she can go on Monday.

--Press re-set button this day!--

Last 30 minute paper conference.

11:30-3--Grade 5 8-10 page research papers and the 3 oral presentations that went today.

Take care of a couple things and talk to colleagues.
    4ish--Head home!

"Young Frankenstein" for Family Fun Night.

Out to grocery store to get some new make-up items for comp, as I decide my mascara is too clumpy, and I can't find what I've done with my favorite eyeliner. (I pretty much never wear make-up normally.)

To bed--tried to do it by 10, but wound up being more like 10:30.
  19. Sagitta

7:00am up and breakfast plus stationary bike and shower and out of house
    9:00am dropped off car at dealer and got loan car
    9:15 to 10:20am shopping for spatulas and other baking stuff, then back home
    10:20am-4:00pm laundry, choco banana bread, lunch, plain milk toffee. Dealer calls me to say I can keep car overnight as my car isn't ready
    4:15-9:15 pm go to work, then back home
    9:15 to now (12:30am...)? Dinner, wash all cooking stuff, take pictures of treats made and put away, catch up on email.
    Now? Bed!
  20. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Up, etc.

Drive to visit brother and SIL and newest niece. As requested, stop along the way and go grocery shopping, paying special attention to healthy, easy to eat food. Cheese, crackers, veggie and fruit trays (yes, they're more expensive, but it means there is no cutting/washing/whatevering involved), oatmeal, cereal, yogurt, cottage cheese, peanut butter, juice, crystal light, etc. Stop to pick up lunch at Panera.

Arrive. Brother greets me with, "Oh my god, I am so glad you're here." :) It's nice to be appreciated. Put away groceries, chat with brother. SIL comes down with baby, fix lunch for people. Offer to hold baby so they can eat in peace. Brother's response, "You don't do babies." Well, no, but I do go in for helping my brother. Thankfully, ;), they decline. Do laundry, fold laundry, bring laundry upstairs, do more laundry, vacuum, straighten kitchen, visit, make dinner, eat dinner, clean up kitchen from dinner.

Have good conversation with them about baby holding: they are not offended and are cool. SIL's answer to my mom's obsession with me holding the baby is to lie. Official story now concocted: I held the baby. That should work. SIL's response to the conversation: "I watched you actually physically back away from [cousin's kid]. You didn't realize you were doing it. I get it's not personal." Cool.

Head to friend's house. Watch two good movies: Brave (which was rather a bit sappyer and less amusing than I'd have hoped), and Lawless. Drive home. Z.