yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

This is along the lines of what I was going to post, but fascination beat me to it, in a nicer manner than I would have said.

2. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Yesterday:
    Drop car at body shop and borrow van from ex for the next few days
    To ballet; nobody there!
    Home to email from ballet teacher cancelling class, good to know
    Lesson! in which an observer says nice things to me, always lovely to hear
    Home, shelve more books; there are a lot of books and the room now looks like it has wallpaper rather than empty blue-grey shelves
    Rolfer <swoon>
    To NY for theater; quick Chinese dinner first, then walk across the street to theater -- and the show is not actually where we thought it was; nice usher checks her smartphone and sends us to the correct theater, 5 blocks away; why we put in that much effort, I will never know, b/c this was, hands down, one of the most annoyingly offensive pieces of crap I've ever sat through; it was opening night, so there was much self-congratulation from actors, author, director, etc after the curtain call, and an interesting group of very well (and very expensively) dressed thirtysomethings who were partying before and partied after the show, the peoplewatching was far, far better than the damn play (surely that woman's bracelet was not rhinestones? that was some damn bracelet, and my Ballroom Antennae were vibrating, until I got another look at her wardrobe, and her shoes and... that bracelet was as big as a ballroom bracelet, but those were not Swarovskis)

samina likes this.
  3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

samina likes this.
  4. pygmalion

Checking in on my little work problemo. I met with CM this morning and explained the situation. You will never believe what he said. At least, I don't.

"P. Almost anybody could do those customer contacts. Heck. Even I could probably do them. That's not where you bring value. Your value comes in planning and seeing the big picture. Tell you what. From here on in, AC can do them all, except for emergency or escalated situations. You can be her back-up."

Ha! Looks like AC got herself into a fine pickle this time. Mwahahaha!

ChaChaMama, cornutt and samina like this.
  5. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Sounds like the customers will love that... :eek:

6. pygmalion

Good point.

Believe me when I tell you I'll be checking up on her for a while. That's the beauty of written communication.

7. singndance

singndance Well-Known Member

Oh this is rich! I was kind of hoping as I read through your dilemma that something like this would happen. Is that cruel?

8. pygmalion

Yep. It is one of those rare times that justice prevailed, IMO. Is that cruel? Maybe. That's not going to stop me from enjoying the irony, though. ;)

9. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

MONDAY:
    8:30--Child to school.
    Me to work.

9:10--ENG 1101--Oral reports on:
    -Should prisoners work while in prison?
    -Why does the US have such an absurdly high number of people in prison and what can be done about it? [Included some absolutely shocking statistics from Amnesty International.]
    -How should safe sex be taught in schools?
    -Are international adoption laws appropriately strict or too strict?

10:20--Gender, Literature, Culture. Oral reports on:
    -Gender roles in baby/parenting manuals.
    -Gender and the marketing of toys.
    -Gender in Disney movies.

Lunch and write up oral reports like a maniac. (I wrote up 9 the night before, but 7 left to go.)
    Get together exam review packets.

12:40--VICTORIAN LITERATURE.
    Exam review for the whole class period. I have to say I think this is one of the aspects of my job I do reasonably well. (That's not to say everyone does great on my tests, because they are challenging, but they have the tools and info they need.)
    Handed back the comments and grades on the 17 oral reports. Nice to have that task off the list!

2:15-6--Grade 6 ENG 1101 research papers.

6ish--Go home! Dinner.

8:30--5.5 miles on treadmill. It's 80s dance party night on my new treadmill! I watch music videos on YouTube by Salt n Pepa, MC Hammer, Michael Jackson, etc. Pleased to be able to get through 5.5 in 1 hr given that I am clearly out of shape right now. (Have not been jogging much due to competing demands.) Shower.

11:30--Bed.

10. ChaChaMama

TUESDAY:

Grade 2 ENG 1101 research papers.

10:10--GENDER, LITERATURE, CULTURE. Oral reports on:
    -The accidental pregnancy rate in the U.S.
    -Gender roles in romantic comedies (x2)
    -Gender roles on reality tv.

11:30--Faculty meeting.

1--Grade 2.5 more ENG 1101 research papers.

3--Pick up Child.

Read w/Child.

6:30--Parent Education at Child's school. She gives us grammar, math, and reading comprehension work like what she does at school.

Some of the math was interesting.

DRINK DILEMMA

small drink + small drink + medium drink = $6.00

large drink = medium drink + medium drink

small drink + medium drink = 4.50

I immediately solved for the value of small, medium, and large drinks.

Then the sheet asked how one got that result. At first I was like "Huh. I don't know how I got it. I just could tell." So I had to think about the steps. And actually, it was pretty easy once I thought it through, but I was unaware of having taken any of these steps mentally.

We also did this thing called HexClues which was more challenging and which I may explain later if I have extra time.

Grocery store.

Home. Put Child to bed.

Vegged on computer. Thought about potential San Diego trip. Put Self to bed.

11. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I like your math problem I would set it up like this.

Let X = small drink
    Let Y = medium drink
    Let Z = large drink

Substitute variables in equations.

X + X + Y = 6, or 2X + y = 6
    Z = Y + Y, or Z = 2Y
    X + Y = 4.5

Iisolate Y in last equation, Y = 4.5 - x
    Subtitute for Y in first equation, 2X + 4.5 - X = 6
    Reduce to X + 4.5 = 6
    Solve for X, X = 6 - 4.5, or 1.5

Solve for Y using first equation, 1.5+1.5 + Y = 6
    Reduce to 3 + Y = 6, or Y = 6 - 3, or Y = 3

Solve for Z using second equation
    Z = 2 * 3, or Z = 6

X = $1.5
    Y = $3.0
    Z = $6.0

12. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Browse internet....for last cyber deals.
    Head out to gym, decide to walk fast - 3 miles regardless of how much time it takes me.
    Call step-dad to check on him, he's in the down and out mind-set mode...the "just put me in a home" mode...arrgghh.
    Discuss situation with DH regarding Step-Dad. yet again. sigh. (this is not the first parent we've been through this with)
    Call from DD, opportunity for her to work part time at school as teacher for special ed...school finds she is overqualified for position - but still wants her - she accepts to work on her days off from Target - color us very happy...for her.
    Call from DD again, discussing this. She misses teaching, this could be a foot in the door in Texas.
    All 3 Dear Grandkids...scream into the phone....WHEN ARE YOU COMING!!! I love being missed and getting run over with huge hugs when we get there.
    Make promise to bring our beach cruiser bikes so we can ride bikes together as a massive family in Round Rock TX.
    Head out to dance coaching, scared to death, it's been a long long time as to full out dancing figures and such.
    I realize afterwards how much better it is to take lessons during the day without the worklife interfering, I could get really use to this!
    Homeward. Go through 986 pictures on DVD - from recent road trip. There are some magnificent pics of the countryside on the disks. Amazing.
    Call from camera shop...are you coming back to photo classes? we miss you..saw your photos when we were transferring them to disks....ohhh I sooo feel the urge to dive into photography again...hmm.hmmm.hmmmm. DH laughs,,,,he remembers so well...I've always had a camera in my hand since Jr. High.
    Settle in for the evening after doing paperwork.
    Nice.

13. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Browse internet....for last cyber deals.
    Head out to gym, decide to walk fast - 3 miles regardless of how much time it takes me.
    Call step-dad to check on him, he's in the down and out mind-set mode...the "just put me in a home" mode...arrgghh.
    Discuss situation with DH regarding Step-Dad. yet again. sigh. (this is not the first parent we've been through this with)
    Call from DD, opportunity for her to work part time at school as teacher for special ed...school finds she is overqualified for position - but still wants her - she accepts to work on her days off from Target - color us very happy...for her.
    Call from DD again, discussing this. She misses teaching, this could be a foot in the door in Texas.
    All 3 Dear Grandkids...scream into the phone....WHEN ARE YOU COMING!!! I love being missed and getting run over with huge hugs when we get there.
    Make promise to bring our beach cruiser bikes so we can ride bikes together as a massive family in Round Rock TX.
    Head out to dance coaching, scared to death, it's been a long long time as to full out dancing figures and such.
    I realize afterwards how much better it is to take lessons during the day without the worklife interfering, I could get really use to this!
    Homeward. Go through 986 pictures on DVD - from recent road trip. There are some magnificent pics of the countryside on the disks. Amazing.
    Call from camera shop...are you coming back to photo classes? we miss you..saw your photos when we were transferring them to disks....ohhh I sooo feel the urge to dive into photography again...hmm.hmmm.hmmmm. DH laughs,,,,he remembers so well...I've always had a camera in my hand since Jr. High.
    Settle in for the evening after doing paperwork.
    Nice.

14. pygmalion

@CCM Is ChaChaChild still using manipulatives to do math at school? I can't remember when DS moved from manipulatives to abstract reasoning for math. Funny thing is that these days *when he understands the concept* DS does his math almost completely in his head, even though he spent six years in Montessori with most of those years using those bead strings and blocky things (I forget what they're called.) "Show your work" assignments are hard for him. He doesn't know how he did it even with the most complicated algebra stuff that he's doing now. He just knows the answer. It's very strange.

@Purr. Yep. I could not resist doing exactly the same thing and setting up the problem. *grin*

@3w So glad to hear about DD's opportunities. I know you didn't ask but what the heck, I'm going to say what i think. I have a GF and a former neighbor both of whom currently teach in very selective Texas school districts. A foot in the door is a very good thing. My GF was an on-call substitute teacher, which helped her build relationships with people in the school where she eventually got a job. My former neighbor lost his job in one school district but was able to get a job in DS's district because of connections he'd built by coaching intramural sports and making himself known.

15. pygmalion

My Mom and Dad didn't make it to Bible study last night. The last time my Mom didn't make it to Bible study was when she was in labor with my big sister, S, who was born in 1955. My Dad has never missed Bible study, even when there were thirty inches of snow that he had to get through. He went.

My Dad can't walk, so now he's a shut-in, to be ministered to like the people he's ministered to for the last sixty years. Lots of people have brought food. He has physical therapy Thursday, and I made Mom promise me she'd make him get frequent blood tests.

I just wanna go home.

16. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

very sorry to hear that P....

monday...teach step 2, teach oldies class...pack, shower, drive to indy, hazing/lessons....salad and turkey burger b/c stomach is no ready for mexican food

tues; more hazing/lessons, teach spin, long chat with friend, spill badly needed glass of wine on my laptop...lovely....that may be end of laptop

17. ChaChaMama

@Pygmalion--Sorry to hear this. Is your dad's condition temporary or permanent? Is he just unable to walk or unable to go out of the house for a variety of reasons? My husband's grandfather rode on one of those electric scooters in his final years. I just did a bit of poking about online, and there seem to be some models under $1K, and a ton if you are willing to go up to $2K. (And of course you can always pay more!) It is even possible such an item would be covered or partially covered by insurance.

18. ChaChaMama

How my brain actually works:
    -Looks at equation 1 and thinks of numbers that work ($1.50 and $3, $1 and $4, etc).
    -Realizes that $1.50 and $3 also work for equation 3.
    -Solves equation 2.

How I did it so another person could understand:
    -If two smalls and one medium are $6, and one small and one medium are $4.50, then the difference between getting my medium drink with one small instead of two is $6- $4.50 = $1.50 (which must be the value of one small).
    -In order for equation to work 6 - $1.50 - $1.50 = $3.00 (value of medium).
    -$3 x 2 = $6.

19. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

wed...ug...tired...teach interval...class goes well...ignore petty snarky nitpicking from boss/friend....eat lunch....spend remainder of day putting together furniture from ikea and listening to neighbors who are up in arms over various town issues including a deer cull...the entire town has pretty much gone crazy....home to try to figure out how to download my showcase video....and lots of kitty love...laptop still has not come back to life...this is not good

20. pygmalion

I don't know yet. I'm hearing all this through my Mom's filter and, to be honest, when I talked to her today, she didn't know it was Wednesday. She's not senile. She's just overwrought. My Dad is her anchor.

A couple things. Dad will be ninety on his birthday, so, even though the physical therapy he's signed up for has been successful with others, there's a real possibility that it will be unsuccessful or less successful with him. He's an old man. Also. Dad has had cancer. His father and two of his brothers had cancer that went into a very long remission and reemerged as another form of cancer that ultimately killed them all. And, to make it more gut twisting, my parents are old school, Jim Crow, Southern Black Folk. They don't question authority figures. I have no freaking clue of what the doctors are telling them, because they don't ask questions.

So. Truth be told, I will not know until Dad sees his oncologist when I'm there with the PUs during the first week of January. I will ask questions. I ain't scared to ask. I am scared, though.