yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

(((HUGS))). Totally understandable to be scared under that set of circumstances!

Your parents are lucky to have you as their advocate, both with doctors and with insurance, should that become relevant.

I'm impressed that both you and J_Alex have dads who have achieved such long and celebrated lives. I honestly have to say that I don't know many men who have lived to such impressive numbers. I hope that whether he lives one more year or twenty more years that he can continue to enjoy a high quality of life and do the things he enjoys until the end (as indeed I wish for my own parents and for myself!)
  2. ChaChaMama

(((HUGS))). Totally understandable to be scared under that set of circumstances!

Your parents are lucky to have you as their advocate, both with doctors and with insurance, should that become relevant.

I'm impressed that both you and J_Alex have dads who have achieved such long and celebrated lives. I honestly have to say that I don't know many men who have lived to such impressive numbers. I hope that whether he lives one more year or twenty more years that he can continue to enjoy a high quality of life and do the things he enjoys until the end (as indeed I wish for my own parents and for myself!)
  3. ChaChaMama

Sorry--double post.

The system told me it didn't go the first time. And now when I tried to edit the double post, it made this third post. Grr.
  4. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Checking in.

Dad made it to physical therapy today and, even though there's a long road ahead, he seems to have a little more mobility. Not ready to walk, yet, but better. Thank goodness. Now we just have to get him to the oncologist.

Very nice things happened today related to my latest training class. One. The lady who was coordinating the class negotiated a free vacation day for me, as a thank you. Two, one of my trainees bought me a gift card.

Other stuff, but I'm short on time. I'll add more details later... maybe. *grin*
  5. pygmalion

Lots of little things happened over the past couple days. Some I remember; most I don't. One thing stuck with me, though, because it made me think.

A customer called in at work and told a coworker of mine something that was obviously untrue. Her comment afterward? "What can I say? Buyers are liars."

Then she launched into this long spiel** about how she goes grocery shopping at Walmart all the time and shaves the price of her produce. She tells the cashiers at Walmart that another store -- Fiesta or Target or Kroger (whatever) has produce at a reduced price. Then she forces them to match the imaginary low price she quoted. (Walmart's price match policy no longer requires you to have the ad in hand. All you have to do is tell them that Target has grapes for $0.89 a pound, for example, and they have to give you grapes for $0.89 a pound.)

I mention grapes because she did. One day last weekend, this lady went to Walmart and told them that Aldi (a discount grocery store) had grapes for $0.89 a pound, when actually Aldi had grapes for $0.99 a pound. Yes. This lady actually went to Walmart and lied to save herself less than a dollar. No idea how many grapes she bought, but I can't imagine a woman who lives alone being able to eat more than ten pounds of grapes before they spoil.

I just thought huh? Yes. People lie all the time. Big lies. little lies. Lies of self-preservation. But deliberate, premeditated lies to say fifty cents on grapes? This blew my mind and still does. Her justification? "Everybody is a liar, therefore it's okay for me to shave ten cents a pound off the price of my grapes. I really love my grapes."

This made me think a lot about how and where people draw the line, when it comes to lies and truth. I guess the biggest irony for me is that, while I was repulsed by the whole grape thing, I gained some respect for her for being honest about the fact that she doesn't always tell the truth. Most people don't always tell the truth, but most people pretend that they do.

It's complicated.

** I had to look up the spelling of spiel. Totally love speaking English, which has adopted so many words from other languages. This word is Yiddish, as it turns out. Shoulda known.
  6. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

I'm not much of a fan of price matching. It's not common in Australia, but where it is, it's in things like electronics stores, etc.

At a grocery store, all I can see that doing is holding up checkout lines, and encouraging small dishonesties like what you mentioned, P.

As a retail worker, nothing annoys me more than when a customer comes up and says "[other shop] has a deal for three bags of ice. You should give me a deal!"
    Well, I can't. It's not in my system. If you want a deal, go shop elsewhere.

I totally understand price-matching with larger items, computers, cameras, etc...but with groceries...I can't envision that as the best way to get and keep regular and happy customers.
  7. pygmalion

I used to grocery shop at Walmart (before my DS became socially aware and very vocal.)

While price matching didn't make me happy, per se, it was a nice bonus. Walmart is pretty inexpensive, relatively speaking. Add in being able to get anything anybody else has on sale at the sale price, and it's a winner, hands down. (If you don't factor in all the really rotten things about Walmart. But that's another story.)

Price matching can be a very good thing for consumers, IMV, despite the misery it really does cause for cashiers and retail store managers.

It's the small dishonesties that stick in my craw.
  8. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

I think it would definitely be a convenience for shoppers...but I think some form of proof should be required.
  9. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Yesterday and today: training. Pyg, I've always had respect for what you do, but so much more after the last two days.

So, yeah. Training. For something I didn't want to learn (to be a web content manager for our division), have less than zero interest in doing, but was essentially told that I had to start doing it. Friggin' yay. I don't give a flying *ahem* about publishing web [stuff]. I care about making the stuff that gets uploaded. And about improving processes and finding new and exciting ways to organize things. Web publishing--not.at.all. Anyhow.

So the class was mostly geared towards people who had been using the new system. Problem--I don't have any previous experience with the old system. That made things a bit more difficult. But, at the end of Wednesday, I kind of felt like I got it. T'was a bit shaky and unsure about stuff, but understood the basic gist of things. Today...all understanding completely destroyed by lunchtime.

We had two instructors. One was a fantastic example of great teaching (Wednesday's teacher). Thursday's teacher was a spectacular example of about the WORST teaching I have ever encountered. Ever. Hint: do not teach by standing in front of your projection screen while pointing out the obvious things of no importance while never bothering to explain what was going on. "So, you see here, this is bolded. When you click on that other page you'll see this is bolded, and this is where you look for that, which...you can see it's circled in red, see the red circle?...that's because you clicked and now you can see that it's bold." Um...clicked what? On which page? How did you get where you are? WHY did you click wherever you did? What was the point? What happened when you clicked, that something is now bolded. What does the bolded part indicate? Oh, hell. Never mind that...what in bloody hell are you talking about?!?! Yeah.

By the end of the day yesterday my introvert side was screaming at me. Too much frustration, too many people (especially in close proximity), too many different conversations going on, too much light, too much everything. Just wanted to sit still, with quiet, in solitude, and have a drink and a smoke. Couldn't, though, because I was staying with my parents, so both options were out. Love them, but they're kind of intense. Yesterday, however, I was able to leave and come home after dinner, so that was good.

Other than that...not much going on.

ETA: Oh yeah. So I was in a different building for this training (hence the reason I was staying with my parents). Unlike where I am, where there are all kinds of restaurants and whatnot within easy walking distance, this center has got absolutely NOTHING anywhere remotely close...not even by car...so they have a cafeteria. Oh holy crap, that's one hell of a cafeteria. Lunch: sandwich stations of various sorts, soup, yogurt, fresh fruit around everywhere, plus two different salad bars, a fruit and dessert bar, and a huge hot bar. (I got to have collard greens at lunch both days!) And things looked very tasty. I got some great salads one day, and a great assortment of raw veggies with healthy dressing the next day, with a bit of plain grilled chicken...very tasty. Lots of healthy options, which was great to see, and it was fresh and looked good. If only schools had those sorts of options.

But...oh my god the amount of unhealthy options, which is where most people were. I was kind of horrified. Yeah, I get that people make their choices, but I couldn't help but think that perhaps it would be better not to even have those choices to begin with. Or to have healthier versions of the same things. Don't get me wrong, I most certainly drooled a bit on the biscuits, and in the sausage gravy, and on the tater tots, and over lots of other stuff. But I didn't get it, which was hard. (But I got the collard greens! I figured they were healthy.) But if they had given me healthier options, the temptation wouldn't even have been there, which would have been even better. Sigh. Food for thought, literally.
  10. ChaChaMama

Wednesday:
    8:30--Drop off. Shlep stuff to office.

9:10--ENG 1101. Oral reports. Topics included:
    -Hybrid cars.
    -Campaign finance reform.
    -The BCS system. (Bowl championship series.)
    -Why the Olympics is losing its integrity.

10:20--GLC. Oral reports. Topics included:
    -Diet and exercise ads aimed at women vs. men.
    -Female bodybuilders.
    -Male nurses.

Lunch break and set up time.

12:40--VICTORIAN LIT class party! (Last day since this is MW only.)
    5-round, 7-team Scattergories tournament! It was so fun. People were really into it!

2:15--Grading.

3--Pick up Child.

We finished reading The Extraordinary Education of Nicholas Benedict.

7-8--Child had ballet. For once, I chatted with another mom almost the whole time.

Put Child to bed.

...and that's all I'm remembering!
  11. ChaChaMama

Thursday:
    4:30 AM--Husband up, feeling worse. Awesome. Day 46 and counting, and he's on an antibiotic. We both agree another visit to the doctor might need to happen.

Do various household chores like unload dishwasher, move on laundry, etc.
    9 AM-6:30 PM--Graded 8 research essays and wrote up 14 oral presentations.

Dinner.
    Check e-mail. Omg...we do have VagMon rehearsal tonight at 7:30?? I just got home. Get text from director. Text her back that I didn't realize but can drive back. She says not to worry about it.

But I do have to go back out, unfortunately.

9 PM--Shop for class parties.

Stay up too late. I think I'm rebelling from having spent my entire day "off" working. (Normally Thursdays are when I would do my Nik lesson. And work out.)

BUT!!!! Cute holiday project posted by students of my college! (I'm in it at 2:23...but you have to watch it through to get it in context.)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTCtU7GpbEo
  12. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

wake at 8...teach an oldies class....lunch...still exhausted and back to bed...get some unpleasant news...head off to counseling some couples which was draining but productive...spend some time with boss/friend/pastor lamenting the direction of the hierarchy...home, dinner, tv, chat with dh...bed around midnight due to nap
  13. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

so sorry to read this Pyg. Can you take a "leave" of sorts...and head home for a few days?
  14. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Yesterday:

up 3:30, head for airport, fly to Houston; plane arrives an hour early -- wotthe? that's some tailwind; also, Southwest broke a handle off my zillion dollar suitcase, and offered to repair or replace (they could hardly deny breaking it off, as it was circling the carousel along with everything else); I am opting to repair, once I get back to NY, but this is one of the reasons SW is my new favorite airline
    Get picked up by dance buddy, sorted out at hotel, off to pick up another dance buddy, lunch, movie, then another movie b/c it was rush hour, and as long as you're sitting still, might as well sit still and be entertained; FYI, Red Dawn is just as bad this time around as it was last time but Pitch Perfect was delightful
    Sushi at a damn good sushi place for din
    Crash; I've been up for something like 20 hours, no wonder I'm at the single-syllable conversation stage:
    DB: "So, did you enjoy the sushi?"
    Me: "Mm."
    DB:"And wasn't the movie fun, even though it was stupid? And the first movie, wasn't it charming?"
    DB: "Time to get back to the hotel and go sleepy-bye?"
    samina likes this.
  15. pygmalion

Not between now and Christmas because I have to get DS to school. DS and I are both going in January, though. Even though I can't believe it, that is just a few weeks away. Between now and then, we will be burning up the phone lines.

I would skype so I could see them, if I could get my octogenarian parents to figure out how to download skype. It's funny. The PUs both computer literate, but only up to a point. As long as the computer thing they want to do involves only the on/off button or pulling up an icon that somebody else put on their desktop, they're good. Anything else is dangerous. Ask them. They'll tell you. lol. I suppose I should be grateful they can email. A lot of people in their generation have never gotten that far.
  16. pygmalion

This is hilarious. I can so relate. I run into this with DS on computer-related topics all the time. "Mom, just click here," "Where?" " "Here." By the time we get to the second "Here," DS ia already frustrated, taking the whatever out of my hands and doing it himself. My deal? Just because you were weaned straight from mother's milk to touch screens doesn't make me stupid. Just tell me what the dang dots are and I can figure out how to connect them... eventually.

Just because someone understands a topic doesn't make them capable of teaching it. To teach something, you have to be able to break it down and explain the component parts. This is why, when DS was struggling with basic arithmetic, I took him to a tutor. I can't teach arithmetic because I've never thought it through to its component parts. I just do arithmetic. Higher level math, I think about and can explain. Arithmetic? No way. I just do it. And then it's automatically in bold and you can link to it. lol.

I went to a "refresher course" on Thursday as well, for a proprietary internal database system. Talk about an exercise in frustration. When we get to the class, the lady who is teaching says, "So. How do y'all use [database system]?" I kid you not. The complete agenda for the "refresher course" was asking us how we use the database. Well. No better after today than before. I have zero respect for that approach to teaching. Yes. I think it's important to have students participating, engaged and talking. But could you at least take half an hour and find a way to make sure that your class adds value to your students? Otherwise, everybody is wasting their time, IMO.

This was disappointing, but it got worse. I create and maintain a bunch of stuff that lives in this database -- documents, procedures, etc. Once we all went around the room and made up stupid stuff to say about how we use this database, one of my classmates decided that it was time to [w]itch and moan about some document he thinks I should have put in the database that wasn't there. Then it's a free for all. We spend the second half of the class going over, in excruciating detail, every document that "should" be there but isn't.

This ticked me off no end. Why? Because, when I was asked to lead this project, it was a brand new venture with a whole new set of players, Nothing existed. My team was selected and told that they would have to be able to wing it and make judgment calls and independent decisions, because procedures, documents, etc, DID NOT exist, and, in a lot of cases, answers were not available. Everybody said they agreed. Yet, for the couple of years I've been leading this project, all I have heard it [w]itching and moaning about the fact that team members have to make independent decisions and the fact that clear answers and documents don't yet exist. Not to mention the fact that, in addition to the other dozen hats I wear, I have been creating the bloody documentation, etc, as fast as I can get answers. AND, to make it worse, there are people on my team who have yet to read any of the hundreds of documents I have already created. Grrr.

And, to make it even worse, the ring leader of the [w]itchers and moaners is a protege of mine, whom I've spent a couple of years grooming and positioning, inviting to join in on projects, given visibility on my projects when they weren't his idea, etc. He was angry because, when I took a vacation day, he tried to add a document to the database and was told he had to clear it through me. Uh. I am the team lead. If your thingie is wrong, I'm accountable. Don't you think it's fair that I should at least have a look at it before you upload? I understand that you want to take on more responsibility. I was trying to help. But, in corporate America, there are ways of getting things done. Circumventing the process isn't one of them.

Okay. Fine. So. You want an annotated procedure for how to scratch your behind? You got it, pally-o. Now you're going to have to scratch your butt MY WAY. lol. I headed back to my desk after class and starting creating documents for even the most minute process. You have a question? Don't freaking call me.

Talk about a bad attitude day for me.

To be continued in next post ...
  17. pygmalion

Wow. that was a long post. I'll try to keep this one shorter.

Friday: The Great Document Deluge of Aught Twelve continues.

All in all, not a bad day. I take out an hour and a half to watch a required ethics video that came from corporate. Pretty entertaining. Nice to know that I work for a company that cares about ethics. Seriously.

Talk to French coworker. As it turns out, she was a single Mom for a long time. This explains a lot about her intrusive comment from last week or week before. Whenever that was. She really is just trying to help. Nice. :)

Office shuts down early. GF holds me back, to talk about one of my trainees from two (or is it three?) months ago. Trainee is not doing well. GF gives examples. Lots of examples. (Does GF not know that, when the office closes early on a Friday, normal people go home?)

I mull it over and come to the conclusion that this trainee is too much of a home girl and doesn't know when to leave her ethnicity behind. This bothers me no end. Diversity = including the parts of you that we like while requiring that you leave behind the parts we don't, if you want to succeed. I really didn't want to be thinking about this on a beautiful Friday afternoon.

Pick up DS from BFFs house. What nice boys they are. It occurs to me that DS has always had nice friends -- good kids with goals and achievements, community involvement, etc. Hmm. I never really thought about it in context before, but I guess DS is probably a nice boy too -- not from a Mom perspective, but from the other kids' Moms' perspective. Otherwise, he wouldn't keep gravitating toward these really wonderful people. I am so, so blessed.

Home. DS knows that I ordered his Windows phone, which is supposed to be a Christmas present. He spends the evening staring at me, hoping to intimidate me into giving him the phone seventeen days early. I stare back. Neither he nor I has any doubt that I will cave at some point. It's just a matter of when. *grin*
  18. ChaChaMama

Friday:
    8:20ish--Drop off Child at school.

Head to own work. Realize I left all the orange juice and lemonade I was going to bring to the class party in the fridge. I have donut holes, cookies, candy, and soda, but I really feel like an early AM class party needs some non-soda beveages. Drive back home to retrieve. There are only a couple lights each direction, but I manage to hit each one just as it turns red. Awesome.

8:51--Arrive at work none too early, given that my class starts at 9:10. Take first load of party supplies to building, in rain. Set up for class party.

9:10--ENG 1101. Class evals. (I make a second run to the car while they do this. It starts to rain harder. I laugh an inward sardonic laugh at the Murphy's Law aspect of this.) 3 oral reports. Class party.

10:20--GLC. Class evals. 1 oral report. Class party! Lots of laughs.

Lunch.

12-6--Grade 5 research papers and 4 oral reports. Oh, and an e-mail to a dean about MIA boy, who slid a paper under my door, but didn't do an oral report nor leave a note of any kind. Have one fairly lengthy convo with an advisee who just came by to chat. (Great girl, but I'm really trying to get stuff done. I really want to have grades done.)

Home.

News update: Husband has been to the doctor again, and they are putting him on more serious meds: Augmentin (grossest antibiotic, but it seems to get things done--Child had to have it last year) and Prednisone.
    The bad news: the meds are making him nauseous.
    Day 47 of this illness, btw. Doctor's visits on Nov 1, Nov 29, and Dec 7. Not to be impatient, but everyone here at Casa ChaCha is ready for this illness to be GONE! (It would at least be nice if he seemed to be improving in any way. But no! Equally as sick as the first day he had it, maybe sicker.)

Family Fun Night: We watch the pilot of Star Trek: Voyager.

Put Child to bed. Write in diary a bit. Decompress further w/some computer time.
  19. pygmalion

Very sorry to hear that ChaChaPapa is still struggling with illness. There seem to be more and more nasty bugs out there, these days. Augmentin and Prednisone are both serious drugs, though. Enough to make you nauseous, for sure, but good stuff.

DS had Augmentin a few times when he was a baby and used to get ear infections all the time. It knocked the buggers out, in a big way and quickly. And I got topical Prednisone when I had a recurring case of uvitis. I'm pretty sure Predinose saved my eyesight.

CCP is in good hands. Now I just hope he gets better soon enough to enjoy some of the holiday season.
  20. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Got a flu shot. Hmm, didn't hurt at all, right into the should bicep region. Let's just say this, I don't get flu shots....but knowing I'm headed to Texas for the 2nd week of their Xmas vacation to help out, and hearing the reports of the "new flu" wiping out the grade schools....as much as I love my family,,,i'm NOT going to help contract the flu into my system if I can help it...and good timing too...the doctor told me it takes 3 weeks to be fully effective.
    Worked out at gym. Young lady on a "machine" had a very personal cell phone conversation so loudly I could hear her, above all the noise, all the way at the other end of the LA Fitness Gym, watched several gents, move to other machines since her conversation was longer and longer and louder and louder, seriously? do they not realize just how disturbing this is?
    Out and about, head out to Barnes and Noble, Bed Bath and Beyond, tried looking for edible icing pens,,,no luck, Dress Barn (my fav store for sparkle holiday clothing), picked up a couple of sweaters, dress for gala party at friends house, resolved to either start working out 2x a day or go longer in the morning after trying clothing on.
    Package up xmas gifts to out of state adult daughters, ship that stuff off. Oregon adult daughter...sends msg..."still waiting for you to come here....when when when?" oops...gotta make those plans.
    Start sorting out all these DVD's...clean out baby toys from GS#2, and make the BEST xmas purchase for DH.
    NASCAR Hall of Fame Induction Weekend - offered on TicketMaster - VIP Tickets for 2 people (I'm thinkin he'll take DS or his brother or my biological father). Weekend VIP tickets, airfare, hotel...= priceless experience for him - and I'm stunned when the total figure is less than what it costs me to compete even locally.
    sigh.
    A huge expected blessing received in evening, that is going to allow us to pay off all credit card balance (that darn long road trip cost 2x more than we figured-but hey, it was a trip of a lifetime in the USA) and contribute to our IRAs as well. I'm stunned, happy and best Christmas present for me ever!
    Realize later on, with giant blessing, I might be able to increase lessons just a bit for a little while. Color me happy.
    Set up kitchen to start some serious baking, Ducan Hines - your "on"...for my vegan friends - your the best cake pop, cookie batter - DH stares at high quality chocolate chips and coco powder,,,,mentions how much he "hates me with all the love in his heart" because he won't be allowed to have any of the baked goods.
    I already know, he'll wait till I leave the kitchen and sneak a couple of each item.......like I won't know what he's doing in there...LOL....after 38 years,,,,you would think, that he would catch on....that I actually leave on purpose so he can feel like he got away with something. WINK WINK.