yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

That's one of my pet peeves too. If you are in a public space, your cell phone call should be short and to the point.

"Sorry, I got held up at work and didn't get to the gym until now. Is it okay if I come home in an hour? Love you! Bye!" = acceptable.

"I'm on the train to NY and will be downtown around 7" = acceptable.

Long, loud chats about your personal business are not welcome.
    Long inebriated and unfiltered chats are very, very unwelcome.
    It's soooo inconsiderate.
    And if you are having an intense convo on a cell phone while in a toilet stall, your name had better be Barack Obama (or similar), because I can't think that many people have phone business that absolutely cannot wait a few minutes. I'll make an exception for calling 911 because you are having a medical crisis. Other than that...master the phrase "I'll call you back!"
  2. samina

samina Well-Known Member

I'm with you, CCM. However, I see this at work a LOT...or (worse) they stay in the bathroom walking back & forth in front of the stalls, talking on rambling personal calls, and simply don't leave.

I have seen this repeatedly by three specific non-native ethnic groups, and figured it had to be a cultural thing, but then I mentioned it to my boss and discovered she has done this and that it doesn't bother her in the least, and she's as American as American gets.

So...I guess some people are just earthier and simply aren't bothered by that stuff. Personally, I don't care for my business to be heard on the other end of anyone's phone.
  3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

for me, I really don't care what others do...if you want to talk while you pee, knock yourself out...that being said, my issue is with anyone who is so obstrusive and oblivious of how their behavior, whatever it may be, is negatively impacting/impinging upon others...so whether it be that one is so loud that others cannot nap on the train or one is stopped in the middle of a walkway to have a conversation, thereby blocking others, my over-arching beef is with people becoming ever less socially considerate
    ChaChaMama likes this.
  4. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I hate intrusive cell phone conversations, as well, but I have to say I think it's better now than it used to be. Back when I lived in FL and cell phones were newish, they were considered status symbols by many of the fortunate few who had them, particularly the young and/or members of certain ethnic groups (including my own lol) that were in that part of Florida. (Unlike now when anybody with $29.99 can buy a disposable one to use for an afternoon.) Good grief. Back then, not only did you have to contend with the loud conversations, you had to contend with the bling that often came along for the ride. Blech.

My pet peeve, which is only tangential to the cell phone conversation, is my handful of coworkers who will attempt to strike up a conversation while I am in the restroom. In the stall, even. Not to be gross or anything, but I don't want to have to control my stream to be able to hear what you're saying. Can't it wait? Yesterday, for example, it was "What do you have planned for the weekend?" Que? My mind was boggled.

Would that we had those nifty public bathroom stalls like I've seen in parts of Europe. The stalls are their own independent rooms, complete with four ceiling to floor walls, a door and a lock. Now that's my kind of bathroom. There'll be no conversation.
  5. fascination

in fairness, I think some folks do that to quell their discomfort about sitting around peeing in silence next to someone else...:oops:and I think we have now explored this about as far, if not farther than I care to :rolleyes:
  6. pygmalion

7. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Hah...there was much more time, energy & verbiage ascribed to the tampon/sanitary napkin digression... :)
  8. fascination

mercifully, I have retained no memory of that
  9. samina

samina Well-Known Member

It's possible you were competing...or recuperating...at the time, or you would surely not be able to forget. ^-^
  10. pygmalion

Just keeping it real. lol.
  11. samina

samina Well-Known Member

I guess it could be a good example about how relative the concept of rudeness or vulgarity is, lolz.
  12. pygmalion

Hey. When I decided to participate in this thread, I decided to hold myself accountable to report interesting or quirky things that happened to me, in the course of a day or a week. Life. It's interesting. It's mundane. It's revolting, sometimes. But it's life.

Truth be told, I value the input of some of the folks who post here enough to risk their thinking I've got cooties. lol.
  13. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Saturday: Made lemony coconut sweet cups=another stocking stuffer, went to church service, and watched a couple things on hulu! hulu=tuning out mindless time
  14. Sagitta

And cooked a spicy veggie mix of black eye peas, black beans, beet, radish, kale, and onions.
  15. Sagitta

For Sunday as I am done for the day: Cooked jasmine rice, attended church services, baked bolinhas and nankatais, cleared away the mountain of dirty baking items, got my food and clothes ready for the week, plus mapped out the week errands as well...
  16. fascination

saturday...usual annoying staff meeting but I managed to be less enraged by it than usual....grocery trip.....truly no clue as to what else happened except dh finally got home after having been gone all week...and that was nice...though he was exhausted

sunday...feeling glum as an after effect of a variety of disappointments in the last few weeks...but dh takes me out to get a new laptop and we also hit a grocery store that we rarely frequent...and we have a decent day...still have to spend most of the day trying to shake the blues and also end up with some allergic reaction in the evening that is disconcerting...bah.....here's to a better week
  17. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Friday:

Pick up rental car and go shopping!
    Go see a dealer I know from Before, a former colleague, who may be interested in helping me liquidate stuff, when the time comes
    Discover Central Market, the Fairway of Houston: holy cow, what an unexpected pleasure
    Nap
    To practice party at studio, lots of fun
    To swing dance, not usually my thing, but met some amazing dancers and had a great time
    Post-dance calories, good lord, I don't usually eat at 1:30 in the morning; hell, I'm not usually awake at 1:30
    Crash
  18. j_alexandra

Saturday: finished Christmas shopping online, go me
    Got sucked into Amazon Prime, which has videos Netflix does not have
    Spend hours catching up with a series I loved, back in the day: the Duchess of Duke Street, love me some Louisa Trotter
    Lunch with the dance buddies
    Catch up on email etc
    Nap
    To studio for Xmas party social; fun
    Back to hotel for quick change, then blues dancing, something I've never done before, waaaay fun
    Am dragged (nearly kicking and screaming) to a piano bar called Howl at the Moon, which turns out to be enormous fun in a completely unexpected way; happy drunks singing along with a cover band sounds like a just-shoot-me moment, but it had a great vibe
    Dinner in Chinatown at 2:30 in the morning, an extraordinary restaurant, died of Chinese joy
    Z
  19. pygmalion

Yes ma'am. There are a few Central Market locations in the DFW area, as well. Quite expensive compared to the other local supermarkets, but the only place I have ever seen a crabapple for sale. Awesome selection of cheese. Wonderful fresh-baked bread. A selection of imported beer that ALMOST makes me want to drink beer. Plus a whole lot more. Definitely worth the drive. (The closest one is about 25 miles from me.)
  20. j_alexandra

Yesterday:
    Up unreasonably early, after 4 hours' sleep; wotthe? Hey, my body wants to wake up in the morning, not at noon, deal with it
    To bagel store, then dance buddy's house for chat and what turns into an impromptu dance-a-thon
    Plans to go to an outdoor market crash and burn
    We visit the Rothko Chapel, at which I am utterly blown away
    Dinner at a shabby dump with great food, right on the Gulf
    Conversation with one dance buddy until after 1am, when am I going to get some sleep? have to be at airport at 6:30; oh well, I'll sleep on the plane (clearly not what happened, as I am posting to DF from the plane instead of sleeping)