yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Who are you and what you have you done with JA?

j_alexandra likes this.
  2. samina

samina Well-Known Member

double post

3. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Damfino.

4. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Oh yeah. I forgot to mention. Since I left FL, this is the only place I've been able to find raisin challah, which is simply to DIE FOR, especially if it's warm when you get there. Oh. My. Goodness!

ChaChaMama likes this.
  5. NURDRMS

NURDRMS Well-Known Member

Okay, this doesn't really qualify as Yesterday's Activities, but I've been at the Holiday Classic and didn't take the time to post. Last Friday President Obama nominated my name to the Senate for confirmation as a Major General (2 Star.) Oh, and the comp went well, too...

cornutt, j_alexandra and ChaChaMama like this.
  6. pygmalion

Oh my gosh! That is so awesome! Congratulations. :)

7. NURDRMS

Thanks! Been doing the happy dance since my boss called!

8. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

Holy WOW!!!! That's AMAZING news! Does that mean if you are approved, you will get to be in a ceremony with Obama?!?

9. ChaChaMama

SATURDAY:
    8:45-10:15--At work, grading papers.

10:30ish--Leave campus to run bank errand for Nik.

11:30--Husband is not feeling well enough to take Child to gymnastics, so I take her.

12-1--Gymnastics. I do some grading in the car, then watch some.

Home. (We might run an errand somewhere in here. Just can't remember back.)
    Take a damn shower. I have had so little downtime recently even this needs to be scheduled.

Wind up doing some more work that night. Joy.

+++++
    SUNDAY

AM: With Child.

1:30 PM--At office, with Child, polishing off grading and averaging.

3 PM--Ice cream social with first-year seminar and HAND BACK WORK.

Relaxing evening.

+++++
    MONDAY
    8:30--Drop off cheerful Child at school.

Send meaningful e-mails to students who owe me work. (These e-mails have this far been roundly ignored.)

Grocery shop, change cat litter box, etc.

11:30--Academic Planning Committee meeting.
    -I'm in an end-of-the-semester mood. Other people are talking about time-consuming tinkering and lengthy feedback processes and I'm all "Let's just let the faculty vote on the proposal!"
    -I bring forward some critiques of a department's response to their recent outside evaluation that get taken seriously.

2-5--Grade like a madwoman.

Home and take Child to ice skating, as Husband isn't feeling up to that either.
    (Normally he takes her to ice skating on Mondays and gymnastics on Saturdays; I take her to dance on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. But that's all out the window now.)

6:15-7:15--She skates. I average grades and watch.

Home.

Light the menorah. Try to keep cats away from the menorah, with mixed success. (One of them is absolutely fascinated.)

10. singndance

singndance Well-Known Member

That is AWESOME!!!

11. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

12. NURDRMS

Oh, no. It's just the way the process works. The President has to nominate, the Senate has to confirm. I'm sure he didn't even see the list; one of his aides put it together. Interesting thing is, there are seven of us nominated for 2-star, FIVE of which are women. Times, they are a'changing.

pygmalion likes this.
  13. pygmalion

I absolutely LOVE the fact that there are so many women on the list. Seven people in the US of A are being considered and YOU are one of them. I have to say that, I am very, very proud to know someone, even just online, who has the track record to earn that honor.

Kudos. Kudos.

Sistas are doing it for themselves. Woohoo!

ChaChaMama likes this.
  14. NURDRMS

thank you. You are all invited to the promotion party!

3wishes and ChaChaMama like this.
  15. ChaChaMama

TUESDAY:
    Get up with Child because Husband is sick and didn't.

At work:
    AM: Write Victorian Literature exam.
    Lunch: Department meeting. I make a proposal and explain why it makes sense both logistically and ideologically, and it passes unanimously. I love it.
    PM: Grade stuff and deal with a Registrar's office issue. Wish I had gotten through a little more than I did, but I'm on track for where I need to be. (My goal is to have everything OTHER THAN my exam graded by the time I give the exam.)

3--Pick up Child.

A little downtime and food.

Mom calls and tells Child and I to get on the phone at the same time. Child asks why and I say I don't know, but I think I have an idea. My Mom tells me not to have an idea so I won't be disappointed if I'm wrong. She then tells me one of my cousins' wife is pregnant...with twins! She's 3 months along, so they are announcing it now. Wow!!! Happy for them. [Though Mom was right: I was thinking it would be my sister. Although thinking it over now, my sister would probably call me herself.]

Get Child ready for dance.

5-8:30--Child at dance.
    I write in diary, watch, and read. I'm going to repeat what I probably say every time I watch: Child is getting pretty good at ballet and tap, but struggles with hip-hop. I think she does better with a dance form with a very defined vocabulary of steps and actions.

Home. More food. Put Child to bed.

Unfortunately, over the course of the day, my right ear and the gland on the right side of my throat have started to bother me. (The ear in fact announced itself as a possible problem the day before, but I ignored it.) I'm also doing a little sneezing. Something is not right. I really do not have time for illness right now, plus Husband is still SO sick. (Day 51!) I decide that maybe allergies are involved, and maybe changing the sheets will help. So Husband does that. BONUS: Fresh sheets feel nice!

pygmalion likes this.
  16. ChaChaMama

Double post b/c the software told me an error had occurred and it didn't post the first time...though it obviously did. Grr.

17. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Did you enjoy Houston? I flew in Thursday evening on United and left Monday evening; I was visiting a long time friend (23 years). Houston was a lot colder than I thought it would be! I still had a good time.

18. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

I did. but cold? Houston was in the 80s most of the time I was there; only on Monday did it get cold. Of course, that's outside. Inside, Houston is always sweater weather. I've been ambivalent about Houston for a long time, but am finding the good stuff. In my old life, all I saw was things I didn't want to know about. Houston has changed, and so have I.

19. ChaChaMama

I just remember one additional cool thing about yesterday: Child found out what country she gets for country research. She gets SOUTH AFRICA! I'm excited for her because there is so much to learn. We started talking about apartheid and Nelson Mandela in the car yesterday. I'm trying to decide what materials might/might not be appropriate for her.

Her first choice had been NIGERIA, probably because she knows I have been reading a lot about Nigeria and specifically the Biafran Civil War this year, and I've told her some things. She feels very lucky with South Africa, though! Last year, she had Papua New Guinea, and let's just say there are way, way, way fewer library materials on Papua New Guinea than on South Africa.

20. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

And what a well deserving self-made person you are that deserves this honor! I know, let's not go to the -my parent was military (he soooo was and so were the nurses in my family) contribution. I know what this honor takes, and you should be leaping from buildings with enough joy to make it in a single bound. One day we will meet, and leap-bound together!
    Congratulations on the nomination. HUGS!

pygmalion likes this.
  21. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Yesterday, up early, head to the gym.
    Think about a few comments made at a Christmas Party,,,which only stokes me to run faster and longer...somehow.
    Receive call from step-dad, who continues, for 15 minutes without interruption, to inform me of how I missed his signature line on a form..and how it was sent back to him and how he had to "fill the entire form out again because I missed that line" and how it's a good thing he got it back in time or there would have been a BIG HUGE penalty...
    My thoughts? yesterday as this parent to adult child conversation was so one-sided,,,,"dear God, give me patient strength with this man who had to actually put an "x" into two square boxes, sign his name, and put piece of paper in envelope - walk to outdoor mailbox in his driveway, put flag up and go back inside the house. BTW, the form did not require his signature. ARRGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH SCREAM BANG HEAD BANG BANG BANG.
    Call DH, who is so patient with my step-dad I am amazed at where he gets it from.
    DH - to me - "you have a massage, I already have it waiting for you....go relax, the sky is not falling chicken little"
    OHHH THANK YOU ROAD WARRIOR - there are times you are a rock star in my world.
    We hang Christmas Lights outside together, love the extension rod and the plastic clips,,,20 minutes, must be a record.
    We work out again, on our beach cruiser bikes and have an absolute blast riding them..he forgets there are no gears and starts screaming almost like a girl going up the hill. ROFL. Bikes truly meant for beach plank sidewalk runs. ha ha and ha.
    Doctor Appointments fill the rest of the day.
    Dance Lesson, very fun - for Christmas Showcase.
    See friends at studio - enormous received hugs from them,,,then the "you survived your road trip" comments....
    Smiles all the around.
    Lovely.

pygmalion and j_alexandra like this.