yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

And cooked a spicy veggie mix of black eye peas, black beans, beet, radish, kale, and onions.

2. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

For Sunday as I am done for the day: Cooked jasmine rice, attended church services, baked bolinhas and nankatais, cleared away the mountain of dirty baking items, got my food and clothes ready for the week, plus mapped out the week errands as well...

3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

saturday...usual annoying staff meeting but I managed to be less enraged by it than usual....grocery trip.....truly no clue as to what else happened except dh finally got home after having been gone all week...and that was nice...though he was exhausted

sunday...feeling glum as an after effect of a variety of disappointments in the last few weeks...but dh takes me out to get a new laptop and we also hit a grocery store that we rarely frequent...and we have a decent day...still have to spend most of the day trying to shake the blues and also end up with some allergic reaction in the evening that is disconcerting...bah.....here's to a better week

4. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Friday:

Pick up rental car and go shopping!
    Go see a dealer I know from Before, a former colleague, who may be interested in helping me liquidate stuff, when the time comes
    Discover Central Market, the Fairway of Houston: holy cow, what an unexpected pleasure
    Nap
    To practice party at studio, lots of fun
    To swing dance, not usually my thing, but met some amazing dancers and had a great time
    Post-dance calories, good lord, I don't usually eat at 1:30 in the morning; hell, I'm not usually awake at 1:30
    Crash

5. j_alexandra

Saturday: finished Christmas shopping online, go me
    Got sucked into Amazon Prime, which has videos Netflix does not have
    Spend hours catching up with a series I loved, back in the day: the Duchess of Duke Street, love me some Louisa Trotter
    Lunch with the dance buddies
    Catch up on email etc
    Nap
    To studio for Xmas party social; fun
    Back to hotel for quick change, then blues dancing, something I've never done before, waaaay fun
    Am dragged (nearly kicking and screaming) to a piano bar called Howl at the Moon, which turns out to be enormous fun in a completely unexpected way; happy drunks singing along with a cover band sounds like a just-shoot-me moment, but it had a great vibe
    Dinner in Chinatown at 2:30 in the morning, an extraordinary restaurant, died of Chinese joy
    Z

6. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Yes ma'am. There are a few Central Market locations in the DFW area, as well. Quite expensive compared to the other local supermarkets, but the only place I have ever seen a crabapple for sale. Awesome selection of cheese. Wonderful fresh-baked bread. A selection of imported beer that ALMOST makes me want to drink beer. Plus a whole lot more. Definitely worth the drive. (The closest one is about 25 miles from me.)

7. j_alexandra

Yesterday:
    Up unreasonably early, after 4 hours' sleep; wotthe? Hey, my body wants to wake up in the morning, not at noon, deal with it
    To bagel store, then dance buddy's house for chat and what turns into an impromptu dance-a-thon
    Plans to go to an outdoor market crash and burn
    We visit the Rothko Chapel, at which I am utterly blown away
    Dinner at a shabby dump with great food, right on the Gulf
    Conversation with one dance buddy until after 1am, when am I going to get some sleep? have to be at airport at 6:30; oh well, I'll sleep on the plane (clearly not what happened, as I am posting to DF from the plane instead of sleeping)

8. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Who are you and what you have you done with JA?

j_alexandra likes this.
  9. samina

samina Well-Known Member

double post

10. j_alexandra

Damfino.

11. pygmalion

Oh yeah. I forgot to mention. Since I left FL, this is the only place I've been able to find raisin challah, which is simply to DIE FOR, especially if it's warm when you get there. Oh. My. Goodness!

ChaChaMama likes this.
  12. NURDRMS

NURDRMS Well-Known Member

Okay, this doesn't really qualify as Yesterday's Activities, but I've been at the Holiday Classic and didn't take the time to post. Last Friday President Obama nominated my name to the Senate for confirmation as a Major General (2 Star.) Oh, and the comp went well, too...

cornutt, j_alexandra and ChaChaMama like this.
  13. pygmalion

Oh my gosh! That is so awesome! Congratulations. :)

14. NURDRMS

Thanks! Been doing the happy dance since my boss called!

15. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

Holy WOW!!!! That's AMAZING news! Does that mean if you are approved, you will get to be in a ceremony with Obama?!?

16. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

SATURDAY:
    8:45-10:15--At work, grading papers.

10:30ish--Leave campus to run bank errand for Nik.

11:30--Husband is not feeling well enough to take Child to gymnastics, so I take her.

12-1--Gymnastics. I do some grading in the car, then watch some.

Home. (We might run an errand somewhere in here. Just can't remember back.)
    Take a damn shower. I have had so little downtime recently even this needs to be scheduled.

Wind up doing some more work that night. Joy.

+++++
    SUNDAY

AM: With Child.

1:30 PM--At office, with Child, polishing off grading and averaging.

3 PM--Ice cream social with first-year seminar and HAND BACK WORK.

Relaxing evening.

+++++
    MONDAY
    8:30--Drop off cheerful Child at school.

Send meaningful e-mails to students who owe me work. (These e-mails have this far been roundly ignored.)

Grocery shop, change cat litter box, etc.

11:30--Academic Planning Committee meeting.
    -I'm in an end-of-the-semester mood. Other people are talking about time-consuming tinkering and lengthy feedback processes and I'm all "Let's just let the faculty vote on the proposal!"
    -I bring forward some critiques of a department's response to their recent outside evaluation that get taken seriously.

2-5--Grade like a madwoman.

Home and take Child to ice skating, as Husband isn't feeling up to that either.
    (Normally he takes her to ice skating on Mondays and gymnastics on Saturdays; I take her to dance on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. But that's all out the window now.)

6:15-7:15--She skates. I average grades and watch.

Home.

Light the menorah. Try to keep cats away from the menorah, with mixed success. (One of them is absolutely fascinated.)

17. singndance

singndance Well-Known Member

That is AWESOME!!!

18. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

19. NURDRMS

Oh, no. It's just the way the process works. The President has to nominate, the Senate has to confirm. I'm sure he didn't even see the list; one of his aides put it together. Interesting thing is, there are seven of us nominated for 2-star, FIVE of which are women. Times, they are a'changing.

pygmalion likes this.
  20. pygmalion

I absolutely LOVE the fact that there are so many women on the list. Seven people in the US of A are being considered and YOU are one of them. I have to say that, I am very, very proud to know someone, even just online, who has the track record to earn that honor.

Kudos. Kudos.

Sistas are doing it for themselves. Woohoo!

ChaChaMama likes this.