yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

random bits of yesterday; mostly a continuation of the trend where everything we own is inexplicably breaking...well okay some of it is explicable...but still...

list includes; microwave...no warning...dead
    laptop,okay i spilled wine on it
    trunk of my car will not open with fob or internal release button...and yes, that is where my purse happens to be
    garage door, due to traumatic retaining wall issues last year

had nice lunch with daughter, long talk with a friend and continue to enjoy heavenly bed.... going to have to breakdown and clean house today as somehow, once a child gets home, the place goes to hell immmediately

2. raindance

raindance Active Member

I don't suppose your back seat folds down at all? That won't fix your trunk but could give you access to the contents.

3. fascination

there is an exceedingly small hole through which I was able to fetch a few things, with the aid of the snowscraper....unfortunately, my driver's license managed to escape my purse in the process and I do not see it in order to try to rescue it...which complicates my life greatly in terms of when on earth I can get the car serviced, like not good timing here with the holidays and my kids home and all...and how I am going to navigate life without my license is another complexity...I could not buy wine at Target just for starters :)...grumble grumble

4. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm having my own go-round with it. Being very careful to not overdo anything. I'm actually feeling a lot better today; body aches and chills are gone and only the sore throat is left.

Anyway, I used some of my downtime yesterday to get my new computer and my new audio interface up and running. Now I can finally get back to work on remixing my showcase music.

fascination likes this.
  5. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

Damn girl! You are lookin' good if they aren't quite sure you are legal! ;)

6. fascination

lol...I wish...i just happen to live in Indiana

7. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

The Target here requires ID for wine, regardless of age. Sometimes I want to say to them, "Didn't I buy wine from you last week and the week before and the week before? Do I really have to go back out to my car for my driver license?" No point. Policy is policy. Everybody shows ID. No ID. No wine. *sigh*

8. fascination

interesting...i do not recall having been carded for wine in Oregon at Target...and i drank a lot of wine purchased from Target while I was in Oregon

9. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

I got carded last week, walking into a bar in Houston. Just about kissed the bouncer. Seriously? I haven't been carded in at least 25 years. THANK YOU!

Lioness likes this.
  10. j_alexandra

Oops. Catch-up time.

Monday: fly home, sleeping mostly
    Arrive, arrange repair of luggage, get car; turns out I am at the wrong long-term parking lot, and eff me, I am probably going to have to pay for *two* parking lots for the weekend, b/c computers in Newark were down when I parked, so I was never told I was in the wrong parking lot, oy
    Home; unpack, change
    Lesson! Which goes well, go figure; a nice balance of fatigue and fun
    Crash

Tuesday:
    Gyro! Woo hoo!
    Lesson cancelled; Boo hoo!
    Spend rest of day in fatigue-induced haze, until time to go to
    Theater, dreadful

Wednesday:
    Lesson; pinch me, things are going well, or else Teach is spinning me a line of crap
    Read, space out, etc.
    Theater, dreadful-er than the night before, seriously awesomely impressively bad, and this is Broadway
    Home, crash

11. j_alexandra

Yesterday, highights:
    Meet with dressmaker to pick up new practice dress; she has made some modifications in the original design, and I believe the first thing I said was, "This is exactly what I did NOT want" and things went downhill from there; I believe I used the term "nightmare" at one point; she realizes she'll have to make me a completely different dress, offers to have it ready the following day
    Deal with XSpouse in a fairly unpleasant way
    Try to go to lunch at fave restaurant as a coping mechanism; the place is PACKED, I can't get in, go figure
    Home
    Make BookTree (Xmas tree made of carefully stacked books)
    Make potato latkes for father, I have his mother's recipe and Sekrit Ingredient; invite a couple of friends, but only one comes, so, latkes for 3; if I do say so myself, they came out really, really well, alas; if they're nasty, I can leave them alone, but I'm my own worst enemy here
    Read, Z

12. ChaChaMama

Please tell me neither of the dreadful theater experiences were Glengarry Glen Ross. B/c I want to see that.

Loved the Book Tree!

13. pygmalion

Reminds me of the time I DID get carded when buying wine in a way that made me want to drop kick the cashier.

The store had a no-exceptions policy, even though they knew me because I bought wine there quite frequently. Anyway, so this one day, I went in to buy a bottle of wine when I happened to be overdue for a root touch up. The cashier asked for my ID and, when I said it was out in the car, came back with, "Nope. Sorry. I don't care about the gray hairs on your head. We still need ID." :eek:

I was like, "Oh no you didn't!" But yeah she did.

IIRC, she was from a culture where blunt is good and old ain't bad. But still. I was a little startled by her honesty, to say the very least. lol. People are crazy. Ya gotta laugh.

14. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Yesterday, woke to news of NewTown Conn. DH calls me from work, "your family"...etc.
    Wait wait wait. Some relief knowing nieces/nephews go to a different school. WHEW. The word SandyHook threw both of us.
    Walk to my near-by church.
    Pray, all day it seems - for the souls of those lost yesterday and the families who are experiencing this evil.
    Clean up, pick up wrapping paper that seemed to spread from the back bedroom to the living room.
    How did THAT happen?!
    The kids don't even live here anymore and the trail of paper still exists. lol.
    DH gives bonuses to employees - YES! it's the first time in 5 years we've been able to do this.
    Employees can't stop smiling - they are so surprised! It's soooooooo worth it. They are the most loyal hard working group of folks.
    Steam dress for Xmas showcase. uhhhh, I hope I fit! thoughts cross the brain waves!
    Rain, nooooo,,,I have to drive to Huntington Beach for the annual "steal the ornament" party! Go away rain!
    argh.
    Resign myself that I'm driving no matter what. No matter how long it takes, there is no excuse.
    Get to party, see old friends, hostess and I started civil service together, her DH and my DH are good friends as well.
    Chat, talk, catch up, wine, food, snacks, and oh yes,,,,stealing the ornaments from each other! Such fun.
    Come to find out, as I share personal life with her,,,,that she too, knows the soon to be bride of my ex-son-in-law.
    Who is the daughter of a captain we both worked for decades ago. And we both knew her as a little girl.
    SURPRISE, what a small world this is - as I didn't meet soon to be bride, until Grandsons baseball game in Austin, TX in November. Hostess and I both laughed,,,,as we recounted the "my daughter just did this....stories" our boss would share with us...like "his wallet being dumped into the toilet to watch it swim".
    Good stories, small world, HUGS abound and lifelong friendships are oh soooo worth it.
    Drive home, still raining, harder and colder. What the heck? it's almost midnight and traffic looks like a work day mess.
    At least it was moving and I got home safe and sound.
    Stayed up reading for a bit.
    Thought about the days events.
    And how blessed we all are.

15. ChaChaMama

@Cornutt--Hope you feel 100% better soon.

@samina--The mold suggestion is interesting, but Husband first came down with this at the tail end of our Disney/Universal Studios vacation, so my initial suspicion is that he picked up something either on the plane (which are complete germ factories of recycled air) or in one of the parks. I did actually suggest to the guy who is finishing our basement "Should we get someone in here to do any kind of mold remediation?" and he seemed to think there was no mold and I got the distinct impression he thought I was being paranoid/hypochondriacal.
    We do try to do some typical allergy smart things, like we have a whole house HEPA filter for our air.

FRIDAY:
    8:20--Child to school.

Talked with colleague and made executive decision that I'm going to give an Incomplete to
    Student with Issues #3.

9-1--Graded stuff. Had one panicky moment when couldn't find class participation points from before the midterm. Realized they were probably at home. Had Husband scan and e-mail.

1--Meeting with student about her spring senior project.
    Husband calls during this time and tells me about tragedy in CT. I'm torn between wishing he hadn't told me (why know these things sooner than you have to?) and being glad he kept me up on current events, since of course it did come up when I exited the bubble of my office.

1:30-3--Finished grading stuff, plus made one trip in person to the Registrar's Office.

Slightly after 3--DONE!!! Office is a complete pig-sty, and I haven't submitted my Spring 2013 book order, but that can wait until Monday.

3:30--Home.

Walk dog.
    4:30-6--Husband sleeps. This codeine-laced stuff is going to mean I barely see him, huh?

Read a little of Joseph Delaney's The Last Apprentice: Season of the Witch w/Child.

Family Fun Night movie: Back to the Future. Just me and Child. Husband doesn't feel up to watching a movie. Not a good sign.

My sister suggest (via PM) that it is about time to start looking into taking him to Baltimore to a more high-power place for a second opinion. Maybe so.

Put Child to bed.

Thought about trying to be productive, but too tired. Answered a couple PMs. Mmmm, good to be done w/grading!
    Bed.

16. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Was just something to consider. FWIW, the sickest I ever was from mold was from the pedestrian green powder-mold that was growing on a lemon and disseminated into the atmosphere, which I breathed. Not from black-mold infestation... I was very, very ill from that. And because the source of it was so pedestrian, it can be easy to miss if one doesn't realize the correlation.

17. pygmalion

The ex had (I assume still has) a horrible mold allergy, something we found out when we honeymooned in Europe. Yay. Ten days in centuries old cathedrals and in cafes surrounded by cigarette smoke. It was long after we were back in the US before he could breathe clearly, even though (at least that time around) he didn't develop a secondary infection. Even without a secondary infection, it was not pretty for a very long time. Oh! The honking and wheezing. I don't know who was more miserable, him or me. Back then, I could feel his pain. It was awful. *shudder*

I'm going to add my vote to sami's and 3w's and say that mold might be a factor. Even if mold is not the root cause, it could well be exacerbating whatever's going on.

18. pygmalion

Wow. Other than my usual smart aleck comments, I haven't checked in in over a week. There's no way I can get caught up with any level of detail. Besides. I barely remember the details of what I did yesterday. Surely you don't expect me to remember what I did last week. lol.

Overview:

1. DS is doing not nearly as badly as he feared, school-wise. We were able to get the progress report snafu cleared up. (He forgot to give his teacher access to the online folders where he stored his work.) Still no word from him on how The Big Date went. Lots of Christmas-related begging and not-so-subtle hints. Sometimes I think the boy still believes in Santa Claus. (He actually never did. I never lied to him and, in the absence of lies, common sense prevailed. No way that fat guy is coming down a chimney. lol)

2. Me. Lots of personal assessment. Next year is going to be a reset year for me, so I'm trying to figure out where I am. I've decided that I am going to be fifty and fabulous and, since fifty is not all that far in the future (wiping away stray tear) I'd better get crackin. Also stay up most of the night, three nights in a row, watching old Real Time With Bill Maher Overtime episodes on youtube. What's funny is that, as much as I enjoy his show one episode at a time, the immersion I went through this past week gave me a real repulsion to his ... hubris? Something like that. He's fine when he's right and nobody on the panel challenges him convincingly, but, when somebody has a well-reasoned argument that makes him look anything but brilliant, hmm. Not too pleasant. Gotta think about that a bit.

3. Work. SSDD. Lots of responsibility. Not nearly enough authority except when I don't want it. *sigh* Somehow always too busy to spend any serious time looking for a new job, but that's going to change in the new year (See bullet 2 above.) Also try to figure out what the heck to do about my trainee who is in hot water at work. She doesn't understand the culture and apparently doesn't understand the value of treading lightly until she does. And she confided to me that she was unemployed for fifteen months before getting this job. She really, really needs the job and I want her to succeed. She could make it easier for both of us if she would just shut up and observe for a while. *sigh*

4. Dad is still not doing well. He's doing his PTs every day and is at least able to walk (in pain, but walk) and drive now. Not that I'm thrilled about an almost ninety year old man driving, mind you, but that's another story. It was just heart-breaking when he was without the freedom that's so precious to him. Take his driver license; take his masculinity. That's an exaggeration, but not by much. I don't want him to drive. (He doesn't, mostly. My sister is living across the street, now.) I want him to BE ABLE to drive.

Other than that not much. Just getting ready for the holidays and regretting my decision to let DS pick his travel dates for his visit to his father. This Christmas "break" I get a total of three days off. The 27 - 29. DS travels on the 26th and 30th, so those are actually extra-effort days. *sigh* As much as I want to spare DS angst, that's not nearly enough time off for this exhausted single Mom.

19. ChaChaMama

@Pygmalion--Maybe you need to designate one of the surrounding days as a Mom-son role reversal day, where he fusses over your meals, cleans up the kitchen, and asks if you'd like to go to whatever the Mom equivalent of Game Stop is. (Perhaps a spa?)

SATURDAY:
    Slept until almost 9!
    Put away some laundry. Did inventory to see what we needed for the recipe I plan to make later. (I have to admit I haven't cooked since before Thanksgiving. End of the semester is so crazy.)

11:30--Took Child to gymnastics. (Husband is too sick and is also now on a codeine-based medicine, which means driving is probably not advisable.)

12-1--Child does gymnastics. I alternately read and watch. Glad I stayed in the car for the first half; I wound up sitting next to a guy with a 2 1/2 year old son. The toddler is adorable, but does a lot of loud shrieking, which is not so adorable.

Take Child to Michaels Arts and Crafts. In case none of you have ever had the experience, Michaels on a weekend in the lead-up to Christmas = crowded. Disney in October was not nearly as crowded as Michaels in December!

Grocery store for the couple items I still need for recipe. Child decides she wants to make tortilla pizzas for herself. Great! Get that stuff too.

Make sweet potato casserole.
    -Layer of thin sliced sweet-tart apple slices.
    -Layer of thin sliced sweet potatoes slices.
    -A little crystalized ginger and a little salt.
    -Repeat.
    -Top with a sauce comprised of 1/4 cup water, 1/4 cup apple juice concentrate, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, 2 teaspoons lemon juice, 1/4 teaspoon cinammon.
    Foil wrap, bake for 45 mins. Take out, pat w/1 tablespoon butter. Re-cover and cook for 15 mins.

It was yum! (It was a ww recipe, btw.) Had it with roast chicken.

Friend calls just before I was about to hop on tm. He probably won't make it for our outing tomorrow. Rats. [Husband obviously won't make it either. Originally, this was going to be 4 college friends and families getting together; looks like it may just be 2.] We have a nice chat for about 45 mins, then I get off b/c I need to do my run.

8:45--5.64 mi on treadmill in 1 hr. I spent much of the first part watching "Epic Rap Battles of History" on YouTube, starting with the most recent one: Santa Claus vs. Moses. Some pretty funny ones.
    Shower.

Btw, I also bid in the D-F Silent Auction. We'll see if I won J_A's pound cake!

20. fascination

sat....wake up leisurely.... vacillate between watching the news, which of course was horrific, and sitting with family by the tree with music...

make grocery list....dh and dtr head out to do that and I practice a bit.....then promptly need a nap...more couch warming then dh wants to go on the holidays booze run....that was fun....mostly an assortment of wines but also some Polish beer and some other local beers dh is interested in, plus crown royal for my brother, Amarula for my son, and some rum runnner mix for a friend...then what starts as a passing comment that we could use a few outside light this year (the neighborhood is in the middle of a very contentious fight over having a deer cull and there is alot of bah humbug going on)...so we stop into a Christmas deco store....and...oh my...had a mini shopping explosion....given the various bits of gloom that have been threatening, it was a good decision....and dh seemed about as pleased as he could be...home to more sitting by tree, talking and listening to music