yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Wednesday:

Lesson!
    Family stuff
    Rolfer, sigh

Thursday:
    Gyro
    Take father, SIL, and brother to dim sum restaurant in Chinatown
    Home; crash
    Go have drinks and din with Samina, have a *wonderful* time
    Home; crash

2. j_alexandra

Yesterday:

Up, roast beef tenderloin for future use
    Prep turkey for roasting
    Lesson! before lesson, drop brother off to visit the ex (they have been friends for over 40 years) and SIL at supermarket; SIL walks from supermarket to studio, 2 blocks away, and catches the tail end of my lesson
    Stop to pick up lunch, then home
    Roast turkey; this turns out to be less of a no-brainer than I expect due to hidden issues, and let's not go there
    Do some party prep
    Manage to stay awake until 8:30

3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

fri...teach bike and bench...people love that class...I am proud of my creation...drive to city to get new ATM card.... must say, the nice thing about having a private banker is that it makes these routine stupidities in my life infinitely less annoying...family has lunch at 7 on state which happens to be an upscale food court including a frontera grill....yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuum....take dtr back to school to fly to bowl game...they accidentally assign her a hotel room with a male room mate....fix that...drive home.....receive my wonderful goodies from Peaches.....not much else

4. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Yeah. I'm not big on most holidays. But I'm also not big on all stores being open all the time. I think that our society, to a great extent, has lost respect for the sacred, unless, as CCM suggests, it's money we're talking about.

When I was little (and through high school, IIRC,) since I lived in such a religious city, we got off from school for all the Christian holidays and all the Jewish High Holidays. What's wrong with that? Our school year calendar still managed to have the 180 days required by the federal government. And we respected people's beliefs.

Why should I have to be able to buy ... I dunno ... Febreze on Christmas? Can't it wait until the day after? Is nothing holy anymore?

5. fascination

well....no one takes holiness from my life...I do a plenty fine job of that all on my own...I have no issue with things being open, but I regret that,as a consequence of that, some folks who really need their job but also would like to observe the holiday, are then forced to work...then again, life isn't perfect and doctors and nurses and mill workers and cops etc.have all been working on christmas and making it work and not letting the season lose it's sacredness for a long long time now

ChaChaMama likes this.
  6. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

True. Some things are necessary. But nobody NEEDS five dollar fleece jackets at 9:00PM on Thanksgiving. People can wait until 10:00AM on Black Friday. Really.

On a related note, I was very, very touched to see that first responders from all over New England (especially Connecticut) pitched in to give the police in Newtown, CT, a day off for Christmas. That tugged at my heart strings, big time. :)

7. fascination

oh. I. completely.agree....in fact, if any child of mine thought they were going to leave my home to shop on a holiday there would be a can of whoopass opened...and they would never even think it...they had to beg for the movie

3wishes and pygmalion like this.
  8. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

Agree with everything you said, F.

I think I mentioned that my new brother-in-law, who is a police officer (and Jewish) worked on December 24th and 25th. He got double time pay for it.

Two Christmas Eves ago when I hurt my back, I was grateful for the doctor at Doctors Express and for the ER people. That would have been a tough 36 hours to get through without them.

What hurts my heart is that a lot of low-wage workers are FORCED to work on holidays...and aren't given double time. Instead, they are given the incentive of "We will fire you if you don't show up." It is becoming much more pervasive to have grocery stores, low-price dept stores, etc, have hours on Thanksgiving and Christmas. It is one thing if a worker elects to work on Christmas because the boss is offering 1.5x or a 2x the regular wage, or in anticipation of generous Christmas Day tips at a restaurant. It is another thing if the worker is coerced.

We NEED there to be police officers, fire fighters, doctors/nurses/EMTs. Those are essential services.

No one needs to Black Friday shop on Thursday.

9. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

I work in a 24/7 petrol station/convenience store...we are open all holidays, all the time, and the company has a policy that you can't ask for annual leave between the 19th of December and the 1st of January. I worked Christmas morning, which was ok, and am working New Year's Eve. Realistically, they are meant to follow your standard availability when rostering holidays. Christmas I was working my available hours, 6am-10am. That was fine. NYE is a Monday night, which I'm not usually available.

But I'm working it...because I might need to ask for annual leave favours in the future, and "I worked an 8 hour shift on New Year's Eve, and I worked Christmas" is a pretty good bargaining chip. The only loading we get is I think a 10% loading. Mainly because our shop is considered part of a motor trade/mechanic work agreement, not a retail one, which it should be.

Sort of sucks to work those hours, but at least the vast majority of customers are happy on those days, compared to normally, when they are grumpy at having to pay for petrol, etc.

10. fascination

ccm; agree

....movies for me are a mixed bag...I know alot of single folks, clergy etc, who do not have anyone to spend the holidays with...in fact, on the way in I ran into a lady from my gym who had just put her husband on hospice and was just getting a few hours of respite to see the movie....

11. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

if there is a truly to good to pass up sale, it has to wait until after the holiday has also passed. i have watchec my daughter run target superstore sections, sick sick and sicker, not able to take vacation from november to february and have a few hours sleep over the course of the prep for black friday, work on black friday, over christmas, etc etc, which is why i am here visiting. she has made the leap back into a quasi teaching position not only is it becuase its now or never but the expectation to work 60 hours a week, next year opening at 9 p.m. on thanksgiving, the precious little time she has with her kids during their off school and after school time, plus the recent "you were off with strep for five days when you should have been here, tweeked her 31 year old self enough to say, enough i work 16 to 20 hour days, i saw a doctor, i was contagious, and this is the respect a mgr gets? seeeee yaaaaa!
    so yesterday we talked about the return to school position,
    the kids are thrilled!
    went bowling and rock climbing at main event venue
    barnes and noble visit
    clothing shopping
    movies
    and made plans for
    stuffoli making with the kids, while getting plowed with nerf items in the yard!!!!
    cold here, but loving it, kids asking "when are you teaching us to ski?" wellllllllll hmmmmmmm lol

12. fascination

on the shopping thing; that has no interest for me...I don't like to shop on any day of the year ...let alone busy, crazy holiday shopping....not worth the savings....and yes,i have an aunt who has worked for Target for over 25 years who has had no life for the holidays for that entire time and she should have earned it by now...totally sucks

13. ChaChaMama

SATURDAY:
    Snowing here in central MD! My day therefore consisted predominantly of a decadent amount of reading:
    -Finished reading Body Outlaws.
    -Finished reading The Last Apprentice: Revenge of the Witch with Child.
    -Started reading of Pat Barker's Toby's Room.
    -Spent a brief period outside watching Child sled and dog frolic around her. (She was out there a lot longer than I was. She also co-opted TWO pairs of my gloves!!! And refused to wear her snowpants!)
    -6 miles on treadmill and shower.

14. j_alexandra

Saturday:

To supermarket v early, before the snow; I have party prep to do!
    Party prep, which includes making an enormous pot of meatballs in sauce
    Watch it snow
    Read in front of perfect fire in fireplace, in the room with the Xmas tree
    Feed people meatballs in sauce, then pack the rest up and put it in cold storage
    Write a lot; been a while
    Z

15. fascination

saturday...teach an oldies class....for the life of me I cannot remember a single other noteworthy occurance...am fairly certain that the rest of the day was about cooking and cleaning and not much else...I remember playing cards late at night with dh and son....having said that, I think some of these days of blissful nothingness have probably been good and important

sunday....watch melissa harris perry...continue to help my house to recover from the holidays....continue to feed the bottomless pit that is my son...attend an open house for God-dtr who is recently returned from several months in India...

chat with a friend

waffle over whether I will stay home on new years or drive to indy...with no resolution...no pun intended :)...4am son and dh leave for airport....

16. j_alexandra

Yesterday:

Beautiful but cold and windy day, and there's not enough snow for the snow blower to work, plus a nice layer of ice underneath it, so, get up and break out the shovels, the snow melting crystals, and the car brush
    Discover I don't have a car brush, remember that I drove over the last one I had, back when I lived with the ex; note to self, buy a car brush
    It's a looooooooooong driveway; brother and SIL do a great job on it, I guess living in southern CA makes them nostalgic for snow, so they're happy to help; go for it, I say
    Visit from hottie contractor and his hugely pregnant fiancee, this is wonderful, he has grown up so much; I kind of miss the old, freewheeling gypsy him, but the Mark II version is lovely
    More party prep; father has requested eggnog, since people he's invited have requested it of him; eggnog around here is of the extremely alcoholic type, you can practically light it with a match, so off to the liquor store I go, then beat eggs, sugar, cream, brandy, and rum, put all into a crock, and set outside to chill (who needs a fridge, this time of year?)
    Local brother has invited an unknown number of people, mostly cousins, here, for pizza, at 7pm; at 6, he arrives with a stack of pies, turns on the oven for warming, we arrange the area and figure out where all those pizzas and all those people are going to fit; hey, you know as well as anyone that (a)more people in a small space feels like a party and (b)everyone's going to end up in the kitchen anyway, so why fight it? he adopts philosophy and the crowded, warm kitchen becomes the Place To Be
    His wife proceeds to micromanage my arrangements for the party I'm throwing on New Year's Day; I discover that I'm perfectly content to let her do so; it's as if all my control-freak issues are draining away, how can this be? who are you, and what have you done with j_a?
    Phone conversation with dance buddy, which allows me to escape to upstairs so I can hear myself think and my friend talk, then go back downstairs and find that company has arrived and pizza is being consumed; I recognize exactly one of the cousins (he's *memorably* gorgeous, I'd have to be dead not to recognize him), but they all remember me, so I clearly cannot ask people their names, too embarrassing
    Some cousins come up to view the newly-decorated library, meet Cat, oooh and aaah at the spectacular moon over the river, peep into bedrooms, get the nickel tour, in short (long story)
    Back down for dessert; my brother has made a cookie cake, go figure; they never outgrow cookie cake, do they?
    I last about another ten minutes, then am felled by fatigue and slip away upstairs to sleep
    Cat, who has accepted homage from visitors all evening, is pleased that her bedwarmer has arrived

17. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

watch dh deal with hip pain from nerve most of day.
    watch grandkids and teach them how to make stuffoli
    dd and partner, take down christmas decor quickly and start talking about
    flipping 93end caps for work the next day, whew.
    do zumba with daughter and her new dvd set exhileration hysterical laughterensues.
    read whimpy kid book with grandson.
    cheer for washington redskins football team.
    we make a huge crab boil, kids devour seafood. geeezzzzzzzzzz.
    pillow fight is on! it is a good night that end with a toasty fire and roasted marshmellows.

18. ChaChaMama

SUNDAY:
    -Read 100+ pages.
    -Wrote in diary.
    -Made 2 recipes.
    -Put in 1 hr on treadmill.

MONDAY, a.k.a. New Year's Eve:
    Woke up after a somewhat broken night. I dreamt about my high school jazz band director who has been dead for a number of years and woke up at around 4:30 feeling guilty that I hadn't seen him often enough after I graduated. Took me awhile to doze back off after that.

10:15--Husband left to go have a head CT (looking at his sinuses) and a chest x-ray. Day 71. Still sick.
    10:45--Left with Child for science center.
    11:45-4--Midnight Noon!
    -Ball drop.
    -Crafts.
    -Went to the planetarium show. Very funny guy doing the show, who made fun of how Ursa Minor doesn't really look like a bear, maybe more like a weasel. He also said Cassiopeia must be stinky if she's spent all those years in the sky without being able to dip below the horizon and take a bath. He blew up Jupiter so we could all see it and its moons and then said "You will never see Jupiter like this in the night sky. If you do, I suggest you make other arrangements!"
    -Toured traveling exhibit: "Race: Are We Really So Different?" HIGHLY recommend this if it comes to your area!!!
    -Big ping pong ball drop in the center atrium, so of course Child wanted to be a part of that.
    -Dinosaur area. We first came here with Child when she was 2 1/2, so a lot of memories of this place.
    Home by 5, before the crazies could get on the road. Not going out this year b/c Husband is still ill.
    Chicken curry I made the day before for din.
    I felt like the house was kind of cold, so retreated upstairs to Husband's office, which is by far the warmest room in the house.
    Finished reading Pat Barker's Toby's Room.
    Wrote in diary.
    Bed before midnight. I was tired!

19. ChaChaMama

[​IMG]

2 1/2, playing around in big dinosaur footprint.
    10, checking out her own Maryland Science Center photos lying in big dinosaur footprint.

[​IMG]

20. ChaChaMama

Learning about air currents in Newton's Alley, totally delighted, age 2 1/2:

[​IMG]

Hoisting herself up using a pulley, also in Newton's Alley, age 10:

[​IMG]