yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

@fascination. Best of luck with the upheaval at work. You have endured so much drama there, over the past year or two. I hope that whatever is coming works out for the best for you. My heart also goes out to your boss/friend. She's the one who lost her son recently right? I can't begin to imagine what she's going through. *sigh*
  2. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

forgive me, fellow YAthreaders, for I have been remiss. It has been over a week since my last posting.

While I was gone:
    CA brother and SIL driven to Newark airport on NYEve
    Party prep more or less finished
    Fall asleep by 9, no point in drawing it out and I've been up forever (full disclosure: NYE is my anniversary, aka A Day That Will Live in Infamy, so I'm not much for celebrating)
    NY Day: finish party prep, grab a shower, and go be nice to people; by 2:30, I'm wondering if anyone's going to show; gradually, slightly more than 50 people make it, eat, drink, and are merry; I ponder the relative merits of prosecco vs. champagne, decide prosecco is the ultimate summer white wine while champagne is lovely any time of year
    Cleanup cleanup cleanup; cousins who stayed in NY overnight -- cousins from faraway places, young cousins, 20somethings, who think being in Times Square on NYE is cool -- have reappeared and help massively with cleanup; after cleanup efforts, take two cousins to airport, one to train station, so they can get back to their homes
    Cleanup is clearly going to be an ongoing process and there are probably wine glasses still hidden in vases etc that will not see the light of day for months; btw, does anyone know how to get blue candle wax out of a white tablecloth? on account of, the chandelier in the dining room is an actual chandelier, candles, not electric, and there's wax all over the damn place
    Throw away a damn lot of high-fat, high-calorie food; JA is most displeased with the way her clothes fit, time to get back to the straight and narrow

The rest of the week is a blur, but I remember gyro (with a hangover; not optimal), lessons, cleanup cleanup cleanup
    Rearrange furniture in newly-redecorated library; now I can see out 3 windows, one N, one NE, and one E, toward the river
    Crash and burn and bow out of a Date; was invited out for dinner and dancing, and was just too damn tired to go
    Read a lot; been a while since I've done that, missed it
    Get final fittings on new gown, color me happy
    Receive good news and spectacularly bad news in equal measure; meh, life is balance
  3. pygmalion

I love your writing style! Just sayin.

I also commiserate on the whole anniversary thing. I got married on my parents' 46th wedding anniversary. Seemed like a good idea at the time. Makes for quite a tumultuous day for me, every Veterans Day. (Sweet story: Mom and Dad decided to get married on Armistice Day, naively thinking that they'd always get a day off from work to spend together. Nice.)
    j_alexandra likes this.
  4. j_alexandra

To HFKAM to pack one box, which turned into packing 4 boxes (orders! Yay! Income! Yay!) which meant HOURS spent in proximity to Ex, TDNWMH
    PO, UPS, supermarket
    Home for long enough to receive more bad news
    Group class in Mambo, haven't been to group class in months and haven't done any rhythm/latin since I had the bad vertigo, so, it's been over a year, and holy cow, I can't do jack; my dance confidence circles the drain and Teach <koff> expresses his displeasure, shall we say; TDNWMH
    Pick up finished new gown from Blond German Friend, then go for a glass of wine and a chat with her
    Home, try to sleep, epic fail
  5. j_alexandra

2 hours' sleep; just sayin'
    Almost cancel gyro b/c, y'know, 2 hours' sleep, but go anyway, which turns out to be a good idea; moving is good, moving with intent is better, moving with intent with a teacher who cares about my health and well-being (since it's quite obvious I am not doing well): priceless
    Home, eat gobs of protein
    Lesson; Teach expresses his displeasure with me crashing and burning in class; all I can reply is, I KNOW I KNOW I KNOW, he threatens to make me compete in Mambo at next comp; I tell him, good luck with that; battle of the wills! Put on new gown for lesson, and it's smashing; it's heavily stoned and heavy as hell, and has a very, very full skirt; I was concerned that the skirt would pull me over in spins and turns, but nope, yay; considering I have had little sleep and am exhausted, lesson goes as well as can be expected;
    DB#2 comes for her lesson; she's picked up 2 new Latin dresses over the weekend -- for a song, really, I have shoes that cost more than these dresses -- and tries them out with Teach; she looks GREAT in both of them
    Some minor shopping
    PO to pick up a Certified Letter that's been worrying me; turns out to be stupid not-to-worry, why is this certified? which is good, b/c I'm kinda up to here with stuff to worry about
    Father's Xmas present gets delivered; he saw a recliner in the Cabela's catalog, and us "kids" got it for him; please, what was he thinking? Upholstery on the damn thing is *camo*. CAMO. You have to understand: the room it's in is beautifully decorated, like something out of Architectural Digest, Father has intimidatingly exquisite taste, and then there's this Thing in the corner. I repeat: What was he thinking? But... the colors go with the room, and if you squint, it doesn't look too much like camo, and he sat down in it and sighed with delight. Go figure. A cheap POS recliner upholstered in polyester camo, and he's happy. Whatev.
    Laundry etc
    Long phone call, catching up with dance buddy
    Manage to stay awake until 8pm, but that's all she wrote
  6. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

@J_Alex--YAY about the dress!!!
    [Less yay about the mambo, the aforementioned bad news, and the UN-quality time with Ex, but let's focus on the positive.]

Up and get Child ready for school b/c that's what I do on Mondays. Realize it is Tuesday. (Child staying home from school on Monday confused me.)

Read some.
    Oh, and tell Husband how I feel about him not doing that one little 5 min task...and he does it. But he doesn't get as good a rate b/c the rate expired the day before, which is why I had asked him to do it yesterday. At least he showed some investment in helping out.

Prepare to take cats to vet. Only succeed in getting one cat in the carrier. Going forward, I really think I need to take them in two separate carriers. Opening the carrier to try to stuff a second cat in turned into something of a comedy of errors, except one that involved me getting scratched and the escapee hiding.
    Darius and I go to the vet. Darius has an anxiety attack of the first order and HOWLS like the world is coming to an end during the entire 7 minute drive. Open mouthed panting...he is a wreck.
    Get his exam done.

Come home. Cleopatra hisses at Darius for the rest of the day. I'm not sure if he smells like vet or like anxiety, but she is not okay with him. (Still isn't today.)

Go to work. Library. Take out a couple books about King Lear. Start working up some teaching notes and ideas.

Go to pick up Child. Cannot find car key!!! Turns out I left it at the library circulation desk. Retrieve key, hustle to school.

Take Child to dance.
    Lots of subs today b/c the company is getting ready for their first dance competition of the season and a lot of the main teachers are involved with getting them ready. (Also, one teacher just had hip surgery.)

One of the subs uses some language toward the kids I consider not terribly appropriate, repeatedly calling them "lazy," telling them they moved like "old people," and forcing them to do a near abusive amount of calisthenics (in ballet class).
    This was Child's 3rd dance class of the day and normally her favorite, as she loves ballet. She shouldn't be near tears in the car.
    I may say something to the director.

Home. Put Child to bed.

Put Self to bed not long after.
  7. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Yesterday wake up SORE, tight muscles, ouchie ouchie,,,grrrr,,,is the word for the day.
    Head out to lesson.
    Can hardly move, Pro looks at me puzzled....I explain...he laughs...pushes me harder in smooth to STRETCH!
    (note to self": seriously revolting the very idea to stretch into the smooth pattern with legs that shrunk after circuit training....where's my heating pad? lol)
    Doctor appt.
    Another Doctor appt. Cardiologist loves my current results for new baseline. This is good.
    Daughter - sends video clip of her and grandkids doing Zumba in the living room, way fun.
    Step-dad - call goes well until he says "I haven't seen you in two months" ok, couldn't take it anymore, I read to him from my calendar every day I've seen him or called him. THERE, TAKE THAT! and hang your hat on it!
    DH buys me lunch, YES! offers to make dinner YES (this normally means, something simple that he cannot burn on stove or explode in microwave lol)
    Search airline fares...slew of sales going on.
    Fingers crossed I'm not this sore in the morning while getting threadmill again....hit 12,000 steps for the day! YES!
    Very happy, until text from trainer,,,,"see you at 8 a.m." I know it's good for me, but really? burst my almost through the ouchie stage day with a text!~
  8. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

tues....breakfast, df, fb, channel surf, bank, lunch, lessons (wonderful)....all smooth and hobbled I had to switch to practice shoes...working gold QS home, dinner, teach spin, apply bengay, go take an advanced rumba class ...home, box-o, welcome dh back home properly :)...sleep like death until two at which time awake to screaming muscle pain ...pretty much everywhere...remain awake til 5...toss and turn til 7....teach interval at with home where, once pets have been fee, a serious nap will occur
  9. pygmalion

It sounds like she/he may have been watching too much Dance Moms.
  10. ChaChaMama

@Pyg--Maybe! All I know is that this is NOT the typical ethos of the studio.
    She also started the class by telling the kids to go get a drink of water and then come back in the room and pretend you love ballet. Child actually does love ballet. It's true that some kids only take ballet because you have to take 2 ballets a week to be on the performance team or in the company, but Child has not auditioned for either of those (yet) and takes 2.5 hrs. of ballet a week because it is her favorite dance style.

Took Child to school. Took a little time at home, then went to work.

10ish-11:30ish--Worked on King Lear lesson plans.

12ish-2:45ish--Read 2 articles on Mohsin Hamid's The Reluctant Fundamentalist, interlibrary loan requested 4 more articles on the subject. Worked on conference paper.

3--Picked up Child.

Answered a few work related e-mails.

4-5--Read to Child.

Dinner break, got Child ready for dance.

Took Child to dance. Tonight's ballet class was with the strict ballet master whom she really likes. Read while she was in class and watched a little at the end.

Talked to Mom on phone. Mom does not like my counter-suggestion for summer vacation. Ugh. Now I'm going to either feel guilty or pressured/annoyed. There is no middle ground.

Put Child to bed.

Some time on computer, put self to bed.
  11. fascination

sounds like someone who is trying to be some image of a teacher ....who needs to be reminded that people won't care how much you know if it seems like you don't care....I would gently take it up with her or her boss
  12. fascination

we have people at the gym who hide behind being badass to cover insecurity...what they don't realize is that if you are badass, you don't have to project it....and that it is a turn off if personal goodness and care for the experience of the student don't go along with it
  13. fascination

then again, I guess if this woman is a master and your daughter isn't phased by it, I would be ambivilent
  14. fascination

wed....teach interval at 9....long meeting at work...home to nap....teach abs class, spend evening counseling engaged clients
  15. ChaChaMama

To be clear, the teacher who called the whole class "lazy" on Tuesday night is NOT the master teacher. She is like 19 or 20 year old young woman and is just a sub. She used to be in the company before she graduated high school. Then she went off and danced in a contemporary troupe for a season and now is back in MD doing a little teaching and not dancing professionally, I don't think.
    The regular Tuesday night ballet teacher is REALLY good. She recently had surgery for a hip injury sustained while she was performing on a cruise ship, though, so she may be out for a few weeks. That is why I am concerned about whether this sub is going to be there for more than one time.

The master teacher on Wednesday night is this man, for whom I have enormous respect. He is strict, but has great rapport with the students and fully earns their respect:
  16. fascination

gotcha....well...then back to the young gal...I have found that lots of them tend to adopt an authoritarian behavior to mask a sense of insecurity
  17. fascination

might as well do today now, as dh has a meeting this evening (town water board), and I sense some deep fatigue coming on....teach oldies class due to fellow employee having been unceremoniously fired .....spend several hours after that navigating the fallout ....anticipate that I will be doing that for weeks...have a long lunch (3 1/2 hours) with another member of the gym to discuss that as well as her husband's brain cancer....going to skip the group samba tonight as I think I just need to go to bed fairly early...
  18. pygmalion

Yes to this. I also think it takes a fair amount of maturity to teach from a place of self-confidence, secure in the knowledge of ones own ability, and with humility. I was a lot older than nineteen before I even started getting the hang of it. Which is not to say that I have it figured out. I'm just a lot better at it than I used to be.

In any case, name-calling from teachers to elementary aged kids is something that needs to be addressed, IMHO, especially if this sub is going to be there for more than one class.
  19. pygmalion

Nothing much new.

Just a conversation that profoundly touched me. One of the summer intern girlies that I work with is having a terribly difficult week. The younger brother of a friend/classmate of hers died last Friday after a very brief battle with cancer. I'm not sure where the cancer started, but it metastatized (sp?) and ended up in his brain. He died last week at age nineteen. Oh! Even though I didn't know the boy, I feel it on a visceral level. It's a gut punch, just thinking of someone that young taken away. *sniff*

She cried all day yesterday and was fine today, until somebody texted her a picture of the balloon release they did in his honor today. Hundreds of balloons. Every one signed by somebody who loved him. Since she couldn't be there someone signed a balloon for her. This tore her into little tiny shreds again. (I'm going to add the balloon thingie to my memorial service plan. Seems like it would be very comforting.)

And of course it doesn't help that her boyfriend of three years is probably going to marry the girl he dumped her for. Plus she will graduate in May and has no idea whether/where/how she's going to get a job. (She's worked outside the home and mostly paid her own way since she was fourteen. Having a job is an important part of her identity.)

Anyway, so I started trying to cheer her up. I told her that life is full of extremes, when you're her age (almost 22,) and that, as things happen in life, you get, not used to it, but better able to cope. Then I told her about how, after I broke up from my HS/college sweetheart after EIGHT years, I thought I'd never find anyone that I could love quite the same. Ever. In my mind, he was the only one for me. So, since I believed I'd never have another man, I set out to adopt a child. And I almost did. But she died of SIDS before the adoption was final.

I was just trying to make my little friend feel better -- less alone, I guess. But something surprising happened. I wept for the girl I was then, in a way that I never allowed myself to at the time. It's really funny. When all that stuff happened (and there's more that I can't share online -- just as profoundly awful if not moreso, but too personal) I had to survive, first and foremost. And I had so many people, at the time, who either didn't know the whole story or who were invested in my "getting over it," that I never truly took my feelings out and looked at them. ETA: I should have said that I never took my feelings out and FELT them. Hard to describe.

Today, for the first time, I was able to step outside myself and see who I must have been then -- a terrified, eviscerated little girl, pretending that everything was okay until, eventually, it was. I know I'm going to sound crazy, but I felt like I was hugging that little girl and telling her it was going to be okay. That felt good. I've been needing that hug for a long time.

Then, in a truly cool way, my GF stopped crying and so did I. And we talked about love without reservation. (She thinks it only happens once. I think it only happens to courageous people -- if you're afraid maybe zero times, maybe an infinite number of times if you have guts.) We talked about how to know when to set limits with people we love. We talked about gratitude to the people who've hurt us.

In short, it was awesome. It never ceases to amaze me how much alike we can be, under the skin.

A very, very good day.
  20. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Good for you Pyg, for offering that shoulder and experience to someone who has yet to travel down some of lifes paths.
    Noticed I was not as sore from circuit training _ THANK GOODNESS.
    Started clearning out food in fridge as we leave for Florida on Monday.
    Head out to, get my new reading glasses since I don't use a computer much anymore and I find great delight in this.
    Go to DSW and buy three new pairs of shoes, "jeep" sneaker type things for walking, I really hate wearing sneakers all day long. New sneakers for running,,,gotta catch up the CCMM on the threadmill thing, and Croc sandals for pool and beachwear, they are lovely...cushioned under the foot with no in-between the toe straps....where have you been all my life! see? it doesn't take much to get me excited.
    Phone call from step-dad, deeply apologizes for the stupid things he said over and over "it's been 2 months since you visited me" what a bold face lie!
    DH, laughs after I hang up accepting the "I'm so sorry" from step-dad. DH notes out loud "you took no prisoners on that one at all, you pegged him after the first I'm sorry sentence" and he chuckles as he goes to the gym.
    Continue to look into the Barstow, Ca home for veterans on Step-dad's behalf.
    do a semi-workout at home since it's freezing cold and raining
    Put together tax paperwork,,,ughhhhhhh.....although I think this may be a good year per se. lol