yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

8:30--Attempt #2 to take the cat I did not succeed in taking to the vet on Tuesday to vet. Success!

Put away Child's laundry.
    Drive to Towson.

12--Double Nik lesson. Topics include:
    -Samba bounce when stepping on straight leg (e.g., promenade runs).
    -Creating tension/stopping points internally even when you aren't maxing things out.
    -Making more use of "ands."
    -Creating more interesting timing--and more light and shade--in rumba.

2:30--Grocery store.

6 miles on treadmill. Shower.

We make cookies for Child's literary tea on Friday.

8:20--Drop Child, her cookies, and her viola at school.

Finish reading Tan Twan Eng's The Garden of Evening Mists. Terrific book.
    Started Mark Danielewski's House of Leaves. One of my senior seminar students this spring plans to write on this book and I want to get up to speed.

Did some straightening up and dealt with dog. We are having our basement finished, and the dog is generally okay with the workmen as long as they stay in the basement. But one came up to use the bathroom and there was crazy barking. Ugh. We need to work on his manners.

1:30-2:45--Literary tea. Our chocolate chip and M&M cookies are a hit. :) We made them with the Valentine's Day colored M&Ms.
    -->Can I laugh that my kid was super happy to get to set up for literary tea and volunteered to wash dishes afterwards? Why doesn't this translate to the home setting???

4:30--30 min lie down.

6:30--Movie night at Child's school. "Ice Age."
    Child and I went without Husband because--even though he is doing somewhat better of late--he still isn't feeling 100% and says he doesn't feel up to it. (82 days after he first got sick.) [He did, however, manage to take my car to Jiffy Lube for me around lunchtime, which is one of the few major household errands he has run in months. I'm not a huge fan of the Jiffy Lube experience...because I suspect they upsell me and (if I'm honest) I'm too uninformed and uninterested to know what services I really need and what I don't need.]

Put Child to bed.

Looked for some old college photos for Husband to send in for his 25th reunion and we sorted through them.
  2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Friday: Lazy day. I had a long list of things I was supposed to do but hey. It was the summer interns' last day. Instead of doing actual work, I spent all morning and much of the afternoon schmoozing with them. Very fun. Sweet, sweet young girl from yesterday's conversation is doing much better.

We talk about DS and college. Her take? DS will choose go to a FL state school, where I fully prepaid his tuition years ago. (Thank goodness I signed him up before prepaid tuition plans everywhere went belly up.) "There's no way he'd ask you to pay out of pocket for another school, when his tuition at one of the very good schools in FL is already paid. Spend the money on grad school, P." We talk about her choice to occasionally eat ramen rather than ask her parents for financial help "for something trivial." Car repair help? Yes. I thoughtlessly overspent? No. We segue into why she's looking for a job instead of a grad school "I have two younger brothers. It wouldn't be fair to ask my parents to help with grad school." Then we move on to school/life balance. "If your friends ask you to drop everything and drive to Galveston to see the sunrise, go see the sunrise. College is the only time in your life that you're responsible only to yourself. Keep good grades (she has a 3.86,) but go to Galveston." Then she offers to host DS and me for a visit at her school ( a very good engineering school.) My admiration for this girl grows and grows.

Lots more talking.

Afternoon. Get my act together and do some actual work. More fun than I've had at work in a long time. Gotta think about what I found fun and incorporate more fun stuff into every day.

Interaction with coworker makes me think about boundary setting (not in a super stressful or life/career-threatening way, but still ...) Why are some people so predisposed to pushing the limits? *shakes head*

Not much else. Go get DS from BFF's house. So, so glad DS has good friends.

Home. Watch silly and not-so-silly political stuff online.

Make a "whatever we have in the cabinet because I'm not shopping" dinner for DS. I liked it; he considered it an epic fail, but he's going to have to deal with it. I suspect that anything other than Chinese food would have been an epic fail in his book, but too bad. DS and I have had A Serious Talk About Money. CAN we buy Chinese food when we want? Yes. SHOULD we buy Chinese food just because we want? I'm going to go with a no. thirty-five bucks to have dinner delivered is okay for a treat. I'm just not going to do it every time we're feeling lazy.

Zzz early.
  3. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Hey, the highlight of my day is getting out the recycling, so you get the idea; not much going on
    Oh, except for the trip to Sephora for a $30 bronzer, during which I spend $200 on other stuff; the local Sephora has a ridiculously helpful and funny salesman, who wears more makeup daily than I do at a comp; he's charming, and I have discovered that my Gay Banter skilz have not rusted; he promises to teach me what to do with my eyes, soon; that should be one for the record books; I mean, let's face it: a ballroom dancer is a Sephora salesman's wet dream
  4. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Lesson! And since we're in the runup to a competition, all kinds of crap happens
    Inadvertently step into the middle of a personality conflict/business conflict maelstrom blowing through the studio; usually, I stay the hell out of studio politics, but this time, I was front and center; meh, it'll pass, life is change
    Stop to see the ex, whose new TV has arrived; he bought himself a flat panel 50" thing, when the ancient console TV died; he's happy as he can be, which is not very
    Home, lunch, surprise brief visit from DB#1!
    Read a bit
    Build a fire in the fireplace and un-decorate the tree, put the Xmas stuff away
    Go dancing, with DB#4; you may all envy me, I was with Andre Gavriline for the evening! an opportunity totally wasted on me, as I don't do Latin (no, not "with" him, but he was charming to a new visitor to his studio social, and leads well); he is astonishingly good looking in person, far more than on video, and is dancing better now than he did as a competitor
    Back to DB#4's house, wine, videos, talk talk talk
    Up past midnight; who are you and what have you done with JA? apparently, if I have coffee at 6:30pm, even I can stay awake past 9
  5. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

dh sleeps like a baby no matter when he has my case, if I have coffee after 3, I had better be planning on staying up late

fri...continue to put fires out at the gym, teach bike and bench...make quick shopping trip to re=fill comp supplies and to get odds and ends to cook a nice dinner....nap...schedule some couples for marriage prep...provide our needy cat with appropriate amounts of love...spend a good deal of time cooking...when I cook, I cook like my mom did....for an army....dh ends up coming home late and sick...and I walk wide circles around him while trying to also pamper bed early as he is sick and I am tired....feel like old folks,,,next thing you know, we'll be eating dinner at 4
    3wishes likes this.
  6. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

DH and I both note how freakin cold it is outside - morning time. brrrrrrr chill.
    Workout on threadmill, interval, it's not so daunting anymore.
    Read paper and embrace how I no longer have to get on the train to go downtown - in the cold weather.
    Pro calls, double lesson, hopeful I'll remember something about it during my upcoming trip, I'm thinkin....not.
    Double lesson anyways,,,,note to self: he keeps saying this pattern is pretty simple,,,brain explodes!
    Pro askes about ski lessons for his #1son...hmmmmm, I suggest inner-tube hill, way more fun plus
    skiing. Seriously? I love the innertube hill, my hidden child heart comes out!
    Attack the den/GS#2room - go to Radio Shack, get all the cables, plugs, etc needed to move equipment around.
    DH continues to ask "do you need help?" ahhhhh, thanks but no thanks dear,,,really? can do this on my own.
    Finish up plans for Florida vacation, meet ups with sisters, family, touring, cruise.
    My aunt and I decide to book Stand Up Paddle boarding at the Grand Cay Island...should be fun if not comical.
    Pull out paperwork, pull out travel check off list, excitment builds.
    And no blogging this time, I so need this resort vacation after that ambitious road trip. Crips.
  7. pygmalion

The upside is that you'll get the senior discount.

Funny. When I was at the movie theater the other day, I saw a lady haggling with the cashier. She wanted to be be very sure of which age is eligible for the senior discount. When she found out that it's sixty, she bought three adult tickets -- one for her and each of her adult daughters. Then she bought one senior discount ticket for her husband. All that haggling for a dollar off. But a dollar saved is a dollar earned, I suppose.
  8. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

What is my grandmother doing down in Texas?!?! :)

My uncle is still traumatized about the time my grandmother argued with the cashier, and then the manager, of their grocery store over something like $.02 or$.03 tax on some food item. Her point was that the food was not subject to tax, and it didn't matter how little the amount was. My uncle is still upset about being embarrassed by her. LOL.
  9. pygmalion

Hah! I see your grandmother's money-saving crazy and I raise you. My grandmother would eat the leftover butter and jelly packets rather than leave them at IHOP. She would not waste a penny worth of anything.

I loved that old bat.
  10. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Ha!! You've definitely got me beat. change do you cook collard greens? I bought some at the store today, but don't actually know how to cook them. I love the, but I only ever have them out at restaurants. Help?
  11. pygmalion

Sure. I'll post over in the recipes thread. :)
  12. pygmalion

Whine. (Yes. I know this is not the whining thread. So sue me.)

I think I may have created a monster. It's a long a complicated story, but I'll try to keep it simple. I mentioned this lady before; she's the one who, the day after a pot luck at work, claimed all the leftovers and started heating them up for a second group lunch the next day without my permission even though I'd already given the leftovers to a single Mom. That went over like a lead balloon, so I figured she'd gotten the message -- if you want the leftovers, ask; don't assume. This was a couple months back.

Fast forward to last Friday. This lady and a few of her friends decided to share a very low-key, low-cost, snack. She specifically asked that people not go to any expense, but, if they had something to share, bring it. No problem.

On the day of, on impulse, I told her that I had a couple of unopened tubs of hummus and some yogurt dip in the fridge that I would be willing to open. I'd already bought them and stored them in the fridge, planning to have them for lunch for a week or two.

On Friday, I opened the dips, but I left early to go to the movies, so I didn't get a chance to take care of my dips. When I got back to work this past week, the leftover dip was in the fridge. Problem? There was also a note on my desk. "P. You know that leftover yogurt dip? I'd like to have it. Okay?" Uhhh... well. At least she asked this time. It was really awkward, though, since I had been planning to have that dip for lunch for a few days, NOT give it to this lady just because she wanted it. I decided to just avoid the conversation by pretending I hadn't seen the note. (I was out of the office a few days and, as usual, my desk was covered with all sorts of stuff people dropped off in my absence. I couldn't see the surface of my desk. It is very plausible that I might not have seen the note.)

Anyway. So I took my dips home and decided to just carry individual servings in for lunch each day, even though it's a pain.

So. Yesterday I happened to run into this lady right by the big communal fridge. She said,"Uhh, you know, P. When you were out of the office, I left you a note and told you I wanted that yogurt dip. Uhh ... where is it?" Meanwhile, this chick is rifling through the fridge, looking for it! I kid you not. She just assumed that, since it was left over and she wanted it, I was going to give it to her. I was relieved to be able to say, "I took it home." I'm so glad I thought to take it home, to be honest.

Questions: Am I blowing this out of proportion or is this woman being rude (in the context of American culture; she is a Southern American woman.)

Not that it makes all that much difference in the larger scheme of things. I just see this whole possession of leftovers thing as having the potential to steal my joy at doing pot lucks. Not to be parsimonious or anything but, when we do potlucks, most people bring a $5 or $10 dish, at most. If I'm planning the pot luck, I usually fill in all the blanks -- to the tune of $50 to as much as $150. I don't mind spending the money; I entertain because I enjoy it. But, since it's my resources that are being spent, I think I should have the right to determine where my leftover stuff goes. (I prefer to give the leftovers to single Moms, first. There are quite a few single Moms where I work and I know that many of them consider those leftovers to be a blessing.)
  13. fascination

it's totally cool that this isn't whining thread...but, if you are soliciting advice, it really might be more appropriate in some other thread....I see a potential for a general "office interactions" sort of thread anyhow...
  14. pygmalion

I've been thinking about a similar thread myself. Must ponder what to call it.
  15. fascination

yea...have no clue...just know that we seem to have alot of office dynamic dillemmas and it might be more beneficial if they were in the same place
  16. pygmalion

17. fascination

thx....and by the way, I am thinking about your question
  18. fascination

today/sat...up off and on during the night b/c dh is sick....up for good at 7...teach "blast" at 8 and interval at 9...tan...have yummy lunch of leftovers(see dinner thread)...i am a pretty good cook....dh sleeps all day.... take down formerly live tree...a mess I can't even begin to describe...change cat litter...another mess I can't begin to describe...practice...dinner same as with favorite nephew, talk with dtr...which makes my day....df, fb while watching big bang

NURDRMS Well-Known Member

Okay, it was -1 degree F here this morning. Let's talk about cold!!!

And grandmothers saving money. I may have mentioned this before, but my grandmother raised nine kids during the depression. She used to sew two worn-to-the-translucent stage washcloths together to make one washcloth that could be used for a while longer. Absolutely adored her.
  20. pygmalion

Yep. The Depression was definitely a factor in my grandmom's outlook for the rest of her life. She was born in 1912, which means she was a young adult (getting married, looking for a job, having my Mom) during the stock market crash and the early days of the Depression.

She was a food hoarder. When I was little, she would wait until A&P had canned veg for cheap (whatever cheap was when I was little) and pile it up in her basement. Then, she would keep it until the cans started to fester, then send it over to our house, "so we could eat it before it went bad." :eek: What a hoot. But, in her world, you never, ever threw anything away, especially food.

Young people today could learn a thing or two from our old grandmoms, I think. :)