yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

yep...sunday was an epic crash and burn....couldn't do a single thing well....monday began horribly, like crawling out of a slippery hole....but I took a nap...kept plodding along, and thanks to my pro, who was in a forgiving mood, I did my best and made some modest progress...admittedly, it was sub par...but I am obviously not totally well today and I gave it my best...and, largely because he was tolerant, I think I was still able to learn and grow...and I feel very fortunate for the opportunity to dance with him
    j_alexandra likes this.
  2. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

I teared up when I watched it, too -- although I was there at the time, I'd forgotten that touching moment, when Teach was getting all choked up. It was a great workshop, and DB#1 looks so splendid, and sounds so competent and professional! She's a woman with a mission, and a gifted teacher.
    samina, pygmalion and fascination like this.
  3. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

SUNDAY:
    Puttered around the house.
    Read a little Scapegoats of September 11th.

1:15--Child and I left to go look at sofas. (Husband still not feeling well.)
    Went to IKEA, The Sofa Store, and Crate and Barrel. (All of these are 45 mins-1 hr from here.) May have returned more confused than when we left. :) I think there is a decently good chance, however, that we will get the IKEA Ektorp, and then buy custom slip covers so I can get the hot pink that I want. I actually found the Palliser furniture at The Sofa Store more comfortable, and they had these media chairs with built in cupholders that were kind of fun...but not sure it's the look I want.
    For some reason, I found it very tiring to go to all these stores. Came home around 5 feeling drained.

Dinner.
    Called back my dad, who had called while I was out...and it went to the machine. (Turns out he had the game on so loud he didn't hear the phone.)
    Read more Scapegoats of September 11th.

MONDAY:
    Polished off Scapegoats of September 11th.
    Watched the inauguration on tv.
    Did some dance practice. Really basically just worked on a couple figures.

Read some The Last Apprentice: Night of the Soul Stealer to Child.

Made chicken salad w/cranberries for dinner.

Read a little of a new book recommended to me by a friend, Rachel Lloyd's Girls Like Us: Fighting for a World Where Girls Are Not for Sale. Is it about trafficking and focuses on the trafficking of girls in the United States. (Lloyd points out that many of us think these things happen in poorer countries, but not here in the developed world...and we're wrong.)

Arranged all my VagMon cast t-shirts and took a new cover photo for my FB page. This is more of a pain that it should have been due to
    A) the need for FB cover images to be wide (horizontally-oriented) w/very little vertical,
    B) my initial failure to leave a space for the profile picture on the lower left,
    C) my cat Cleo's insistence on getting involved in the project.

Jogged 6.2 miles straight on the treadmill. (A treadmill 10K.) Then walked it out to make 7 miles. Shower.
  4. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Hudson jeans, eh? Freakin' tilapia. ("Tilapia" is what DH and I call that phenomenon where you've never heard of something...until one day...and then you start noticing it everywhere. We'd never heard of tilapia years ago, and then all of a sudden we started seeing it on menus everywhere. I'd never heard of Hudson jeans until your post...and then I ran across it two or three more times over the weekend. Odd. Tilapia.)

So...how do you get a sales associate to help you out like that? I don't think I've ever gotten that sort of service, at least not in a department store. I can count on one hand the number of times I've gotten help like that in a non-department store (Talbots, and Lucky). I kind of want to pull a Pretty Woman sort of thing with people sometimes--"I'm looking to spend money. If you do your job well, I'll end up spending plenty. If you can't be bothered, some other salesperson in some other store will get the credit. Last time I got help, I dropped $800 in one store and a completely unexpected $300 in another. If you help, I'm ready to do it again...here."

Especially with jeans shopping. It's not easy, and disheartening, and confusing, and a general p.i.t.a. I would really appreciate getting that sort of help and guidance. It seems to happen so rarely...for me, at least.
  5. fascination

interesting..I want to be able to see sales people, but I want them out of my face unless I approach them...in fact, if you want me to leave quickly, hover.

oh. and shopping always makes me weary
    Lioness likes this.
  6. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Agreed. But when I do approach someone, I'd generally like more than a brush-off.
  7. fascination

oh. definitely....
  8. ChaChaMama

Funny, the last two times I've seriously gone shopping, I've had extremely attentive sales help. Maybe I look lost and confused in a retail clothing environment, and people realize I need the help. :)

1) First time was at White House, Black Market. The sales associate was an alum of the college and recognized me. (She was in a different section of the September 11th course I taught and had heard me lecture a few times.) When she knew I was looking for work clothes...well, she knows where I work, and she had a good eye for what would work on me. She also helped me with the whole some things are number sizes, but some are XS, S, M, L, XL maze. I bought about $800 worth of stuff.

2) This time, I was very confused in Nordstroms. Their layout seems to be by maker, not by type of item...but it's not that clear (to me, anyway) which maker is where. I saw jeans, but I didn't see Seven for All Mankind or Citizens for Humanity, which are two brands my sister has bought for me which I loved. (Esp the Sevens.) Lost and confused, I got distracted and started looking at dresses.

The sales associate approached me and asked if I needed help. I said I was being a bad girl and that I actually needed to look for jeans but hadn't been able to figure out where they were. He asked if I had a brand in mind and I mentioned the two I knew...which presumably signaled that I was willing to pay $100-200 for a pair of jeans.

I got lucky, because this sales associate clearly had a passion for and a wealth of knowledge about jeans. He asked what shade or color I had in mind, and whether I wanted skinny or boot-cut. He then started pulling all kinds of things and set me up in a dressing room. He had me trying on things I would never have picked for myself, but he was right.

If you are willing to drive to Towson to shop, I'll give you his name! (Though I'm guessing there's a Nordstroms nearer you.)
  9. ChaChaMama

Side note: I actually did get to do a full on Pretty Woman kind of thing once. Me, my husband, my husband's cousin, and one of his aunts were delivered to Neiman Marcus in Beverly Hills. Husband's grandfather, who was staying at the Hotel Bel-Air for a few months (!), had sent us on a shopping spree, his treat. The situation was outlined to the sales help and we got a personal shopper.

Pretty soon, the sales help decided we actually needed one personal shopper PER PERSON. It was divine. I had never been taken care of like that. I got three suits and two or three blouses that day, which I wore on all my job interviews and into the early years of my career.
  10. ChaChaMama

TUESDAY:
    Emergency run to grocery store as we are 100% out of cat food.

12--Double Nik lesson.

Drove Nik home. (Was a little embarrassed because had not been anticipating this and car was somewhat messy...though he was very cool about it.)
    Picked up Child at school.

Read with Child.
    Took Child to dance.

5-8:30--Child danced. I read Girls Like Us: Fighting for a World Where Girls Are Note for Sale and wrote in my diary.

Home. Snack. Put Child to bed.

Finally got to watch wheelchair dancing video. (It wouldn't play for me before.) VERY cool, j_alex!

Caught up on e-mail. UGH. Two of my e-mails are packed with hours and hours of additional meetings or rehearsals. Basically, I will be going from 0 to 75 at work. The unanticipated curve ball: all three candidates for the Provost position are coming in THE FIRST WEEK. I *ALREADY* have lunch meetings on Tuesday and Thursday (in fact, I'm already double booked for Thursday and have been trying unsuccessfully to get someone to fill in for me), so I was already anticipating a meeting-heavy week, but it just got a lot more intense.
    The rehearsal schedule also has some unanticipated and unwelcome surprises, including a week two rehearsal that directly conflicts with my grad class.
    Feel stressed. Lay out schedule for the week to try to see where pockets of free time are so I can convince myself I'll still be able to exercise, spend time with Child, etc. I also have a dance competition after the first week of classes, so figure out where can slot in tanning appt.
  11. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

What you described seems to be the norm for White House, Black Market, at least at the one I shop at. I usually end up with multiple items on a shopping trip. Now, I don't go near the store unless I really need something and I plan on dropping a lot of cash. ;)
    ChaChaMama likes this.
  12. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

breakfast at hotel, nice recovery day from cruise.
    fb sisters in titusville, laugh about alot of things.
    call dear aunt in jersey and thank her for the paddle board class she was quite funny and my legs are still feeling it.
    dh and i map out our day, i ask to go to homestead race track for photo oops, as well as biscayne and everglades national parks. dh is stunned that i suggest nascar track lol.
    privatenchatnand walk about with homestead track employee, some cars are testing and dh is totally enoying this. pics galore!
    head out to everglaes, watch snake chase mouse in lilly pads, walk some trails, ok, i am not a reptile fan at all!
    notice a bald eagle carrying a fish, while in flight, cannot get camera focused fast enough, darn it!
    biscayne national park, walk some trails and oh my are the gators just hmmm lovely ewwww, turtles and birds are really active camera dies a battery death nooooooo!
    head out to black point marina for fabulous local food and have my fill of crab special while enjoying the breeze. book massages for tomorrow before we board the jet home. perfect and dh is actually not so much the road warrior this time around color me a hapoy and relaxed gal. we decide we gotta do the pacific coastal cruise soon.
    yes!
  13. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Yep... It seems like they hover when you're browsing and want to be left alone, and then when you need help, they all vanish.
  14. ChaChaMama

WEDNESDAY:
    Child to school.

Me to work.
    -Did syllabi for all four classes I will be teaching this spring (normal load is three, but I'm doing an overload class), and course policies for three out of four.
    -Answered some work e-mail.
    -Did a little brainstorming of new assignments. Was trying to come up with a good debatable topic that would be Superbowl related. Did not succeed in coming up with anything that satisfied me, but I did come across an interesting factoid. Guess how much American consumers spent on snacks, sports jerseys and other game related merchandise, new big screen tvs, etc, etc for the last Superbowl? (This is not including how much advertisers spent for air time. This is what average folks spent to get ready for and enjoy Superbowl Sunday.)

The answer: $11 Billion. No, I don't mean million! Holy wow.
    http://www.statista.com/statistics/217141/super-bowl-weekend-related-consumer-spending-in-the-us/

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2012/01/30/super-bowl-spending-is-up-and-its-good/
    Picked up Child. Went home.

Finished reading Joseph Delaney's The Last Apprentice: Night of the Soul Stealer.

Took Naomi to dance. She danced. I read Girls Like Us.
    I was having some heartburn discomfort. :(

Put Child to bed. Read a little more. Put self to bed.
  15. fascination

tues...breakfast, bank, practice, lessons, late lunch, drive home , teach spin, skip dinner, drink wine, have a great deal of trouble getting body to relax and sleep....thank God for bengay

wed....breakfast, teach interval, converse with boss who stepped down, have another lengthy chat with a friend....lunch and nap later than anticipated, prep dh's dinner, tan, teach and abs class and another interval class, have another conversation with bosses' boss....oy....home... dinner which partially does not stay down, wine, difficulty sleeping again....thusfar today; drive in snow to work, teach an oldies class, have more long conversations, home to a bowl of soup and a chat with my brother....anticipating a long, and lovely nap today
  16. j_alexandra

Catching up
    Monday: Lesson, and studio drama in which I seem to be involved, thx but no thx

Tuesday:
    Gyro!
    Rolfer!
    Lesson!
    Tired!
    Gynecologist! What was I thinking, scheduling all these things back to back?
    Roast a chicken, a showoff dish that is both simple and easy; the potatoes roasted under it vanish into the night, as they're basically like steak fries cooked in chicken fat, and men love them; I won't touch them any more, but they're really really good
    Go have a glass of wine with blond German friend, who's working at a winebar a couple of nights a week; nice chat with the only other patron in the place
    Home, Z
  17. j_alexandra

Wednesday:
    Lesson, in which some things get sorted out and enormous fun is had; why is it that, as soon as I seem to "get" something, Teach blows past it and gives me something else I can't get? Until I do get it, and then lather, rinse repeat?
    Accountant meeting; lunch with her first, then going over results of last year and projecting financial stuff into the future, and oy, just oy.
    Tickle in the back of throat mid afternoon, then some throat soreness; I refuse to acknowledge this, b/c I'm leaving for a pleasure trip tomorrow
    Bed 9ish
    Wake midnight shaking, fever, chills, aching, sore throat, drippy nose; call airline and cancel trip, call hotel and attempt to cancel, but room is prepaid with miles, so I can cancel, but I lose my miles; TDNWMH in spades, it's a lotta miles; customer service rep gives me advice on how to mitigate that crapfest, maybe, just maybe
    Aspirin, benadryl, back to bed around 2:30 am, depressed b/c I can't go on my trip and 'cause, y'know, flu
  18. j_alexandra

Yesterday:

To doctor as soon as office opens; yes, they have an immediate opening; get drugs, and a note for the hotel operator so I maybe can get my miles back
    To pharmacy, which is in supermarket, so I load up on juice, chicken soup, and citrus fruit
    Home, write pleading letter re: miles and send it off
    Miracle; they say yes! Thank you: that's 39,000 miles I got back! Woo hoo!
    Spend the day brain dead, watching Downton Abbey on Amazon Prime, eating soup and drinking liquids
    And trying to get over being pissed off over missing out on the trip
  19. j_alexandra

btw, tamiflu is a miracle drug, for me, at any rate; apparently, I caught the flu early enough that the drug is working like a charm
  20. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

What a blur.
    Day of leaving Florida, found a Vintage Packard Car Museum - and they were FABULOUS.
    Viewed cars, pedal cars, various other things associated with Packard including a toy collection of over 9,000 perfectly preserved toys listed in a catalog offered by collector.
    Amazing.
    And who would think, that in an off-beat path from the major blvd...this place existed.
    Went to Lester's Diner - PERFECT.
    Goregous weather.
    Browsed Best Buy for new lap top (never had one before so this is quite the adventure)
    and browsed for new flat screen 50' TV to go into living room. Who knew?
    Head out for a magnificent muscle relive massage...and she went after the shoulders and feet - ouchie so good!
    Airport follows, dinner at Chilis to Go - love their new Carribean Grilled Chicken Salad. -yummmmm.
    Read a bit, load on Virgin America with an in-flight time of 6 hours to LAX,
    pilot announces a mild headwind of 29 - which will put us into LAX actually early.
    Flight is great, we go over Austin TX - and those lights are pretty bright at nighttime...bye bye DD not stopping this time.
    We arrived exactly ONE HOUR EARLY....everyone on board is tickled pink,,,until some idiot male stands up while we are on Taxi Way - not even close to the gate, and the Flight Attendants, YELL at him to SIT DOWN IMMEDIATELY and BUCKLE UP.
    Really? while landing early is icing on the 10 day vacation cake...a person standing up right after wheels down is not...let's add insult to male screamed at injury - the jet way...had a problem connecting to jet door...delay of 10 minutes enough for pilot to make announcement....we conclude the idiot caused bad karma on the jetway. wink wink!
    Home,,,,rain,,,,traffic....ahhhhh it's sooooooooo well, sigh....familiar.