yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

i sense a trend...... perhaps one with less tannins??

2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

no...trust me, it isn't the wine, it is the muscle tension....without the wine there would be no sleep at all...btw, am no longer drinking wine with a lot of tannins

3. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

smart lady!!!

4. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

THURSDAY:
    9:30-1--On campus "retreat" on the topic of internships/service learning/experiential learning. Call me literal minded, but I prefer the word "retreat" be reserved for events which remove us from our day-to-day physical location. I think this should be called an in-service day. That said, there was some interesting and useful information at this event. The importance of internships has gone way, way up from when I was an undergraduate.

Some departments had exactly ZERO members at this retreat. Some of these same departments are applying to the Academic Planning Committee for a new faculty member. I am on the Academic Planning Committee. A cynical person might find herself wondering how committed these departments are to larger campus initiatives.

Home post-retreat. Discover Husband has spent pretty much whole day in bed, b/c he has a couple vacation days to burn. He was also in bed, sound asleep, when Child and I came home from school on Wednesday a little after 3 PM. He's really still not over this illness...though he is coughing less. But it has been since October 22.
    Read.

Tried to order our IKEA sofa. Discovered we may not be able to get set-up because we live more than 25 miles from IKEA. Boo.

6 miles on treadmill. Shower.

Read a little more. Bed.

5. fascination

having put my own ikea sofa together, it was a snap

6. ChaChaMama

That's what we've decided we'll do...though I think it has us leaning toward sofa over sofa bed, as it seems like it would be easier. What IKEA sofa do you have, if you don't mind my asking?

7. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I heart IKEA. I actually live about two? three? miles from one. (Oh yeah. I can go there for cheap breakfast anytime I want. lol) I've never had a problem putting their stuff together even though I'm pretty mechanically challenged. I'd probably go for the sofa bed and try putting it together. If it doesn't work out, there's always the backup plan -- call a mechanically inclined friend.

8. ChaChaMama

I've put together quite a few pieces of furniture from Pottery Barn Kids, and while they always come out great in the end, I always make a mistake that I have to undo...because the directions are entirely in pictures, with no words! Talk about different learning styles! I'm kind of a words person. ;)

By about halfway through every assembly project I've ever done, I'm thinking "I could make these directions so much better." How about some words mentioning common mistakes you don't want to make? How about color coding parts that look almost identical, but aren't? (Would putting a little daub of green paint on all the Part As really add that much to production costs?)

9. pygmalion

I'm guessing that you're not big on Legos. lol.

10. ChaChaMama

FRIDAY:
    8:20--Take Child to school.

Come to important realization: since Wednesday, I have been having some pains in my chest. Not good, right? I thought they were probably heartburn, but of course was a little worried because they are on the left side of my chest, pretty much right over my heart. Given my general state of health, I would not consider myself at high risk of heart disease, and yet there were those twinges. Backing out of the driveway and turning the steering wheel softly, I gave a little yelp of discomfort, again. Child asked, in her logical way, "Why does it always seem to bother you the most when we are driving?" She led me to a realization: I don't think it's heartburn or a heart attack. I think I've pulled a muscle in my chest. Turning the steering wheel hard, like I have to do back out, irritates it. What an annoying thing to have done!

Get a few things done around the house, including putting lentil stew in the crockpot. Setting it at 10 AM, it will be ready by 4 PM...right around when I hope to be coming home, since apparently it is going to snow. This slow cooker thing is a thing of great brilliance.
    11-4--At work. Finalize all syllabi and course policies and give to our secretary for xeroxing. Yay boogie boogie! Write some notes for Monday's graduate class mini-lecture: What makes The Modern World "modern"? (Because since we're talking a period that begins in the 15th or 16th century, it clearly isn't "modern" in the sense we would use that word in everyday parlance. Like they didn't use a GPS to find the Americas.)

Ready to drive home.
    First annoyance: walked to wrong parking lot. (I always park in the same lot, but switched it up today. Bad move.)
    Second annoyance: apparently do not have scraper in my car. Clear windows ineffectively with my gloves.
    Third annoyance: on last bit of my drive--the part where the roads aren't cleared at all--get behind someone who thinks going 10 mph uphill on a 35 mph road is a good idea. I really think we should be trying to use momentum in our favor a little more!
    But get home in one piece.

Family Fun Night: "Star Trek" (the 2009 movie directed by J.J. Abrams). We liked it!

Finished Rachel Lloyd's Girls Like Us: Fighting for a World Where Girls Are Not for Sale. Some good insights including:
    -Why it is important and not just a matter of semantics to call these girls "Commercially sexually exploited girls" rather than "teen prostitutes."
    -Why it is hard for these girls to leave their pimps. Lloyd contextualizes it in terms of Stockholm syndrome, battered women's syndrome, PTSD. She also talks about how little of a sense of family or belonging of any kind many of these girls have other than their "daddy" and "wives-in-law."
    -How pervasive this problem is, even in "first world" countries for "first world" girls, and how young they often are when recruited. 11, 12, 13--not uncommon.

Wrote down goals for the weekend.

Bed.

11. ChaChaMama

Lol. What's funny is that my kid went to a Legos Star Wars summer camp when she was maybe about 6, and afterwards, she would walk me through the directions of Legos projects: "Okay, Mommy. Would you like to do Step 17?" But at least Legos ARE color coded and visibly different sizes!!! I can handle tasks where I can verbally mediate it "Okay, so I need two red six tops and two flat green twelve tops."

Compare this to Pottery Barn's train table. I envision the evil directions taunting me, in their own secret non-verbal language, here translated for the first time.

EVIL DIRECTIONS: "Hey, guess what? Two of the wheels that need to go on the drawers that slide under the table rotate, and two almost identical looking ones are straight wheels. We are NOT going to point out this difference, however. Go ahead. Put them on however seems right. We'll wait."

--Assembly time.--

EVIL DIRECTIONS: "HA! You will now realize that the rotating ones HAVE to go on the front of the drawer, near the label, and the straight ones HAVE to go on the back! Oh, you used a power screwdriver and really got those wheels on nice and tight, didn't you? Mwahahaha!"

pygmalion likes this.
  12. pygmalion

Oh Jesus. (And I don't say that lightly. At. All. I am actually very offended by people who say Jeez or Jesus, etc but who obviously have no respect for the man who lived and what he tried to represent. Religion aside. Jesus is a historical figure...)

My heart breaks over the desperation and/or abuse of men and women who sell their bodies (or other things, such as organs) just to live.

I don't think most people in a position to help have any idea of what drives people. "My life is easy and i have choices, so why don't you, the person in a desperate situation, make easy choices?" So we, as a society, condemn people for making the best choices they can. A lot of people don't have choices. (ETA: Or don't perceive that they have choices.) That's why there's a black market in which people sell blood, sexual favors, organs, etc. People are in pain and just trying to survive.

13. fascination

I have no idea :)

14. pygmalion

At least the people from IKEA hire somebody who speaks English to write the directions. Just try putting together a European made stereo system. I dare ya. You will not end up with a stereo, but you will end up with a gut-busting laugh.

15. fascination

I will try to look that up

16. fascination

the pictures are all you need with IKEA

17. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Friday:

Flu, drugs, soup, citrus, liquids, couch, Downton Abbey Season 1

Yesterday:

Significantly better; drugs, soup, sandwich, liquids, couch, Downton Abbey Season 2
    Actually feel well enough to get up and cook something; however, eating is another story; one of the drugs I'm taking makes everything taste bad, so why eat?
    Spectacular moonrise, full moon over the river, beautiful
    To bed ~10, wake 2am, gosh darnit!; back to sleep after 4

samina likes this.
  18. ChaChaMama

Glad you are feeling somewhat better, j_alex! May the trend continue!

SATURDAY:
    Good news on the scale today. That's good, since comp is one week away.
    -Much time given over to moving games and books down to shelving units in new rec room.

-6 miles on treadmill. I'm working on taking my jogging pace up ever so slightly.
    Shower.

-Child and I read Cornelia Funke's Reckless.

Husband had a big phone meeting. Afterward, he was not doing so great. He took a hit on his emergency inhaler, but still felt pretty ill. He actually had his head down on the dining room table for awhile. I asked if he wanted me to take him to the emergency room. He said no. He has now been sick for 97 days. Earlier in the day, he had felt good enough to take Child to her gymnastics class. (The place has moved and is only 10-15 mins away now.) But by evening, he was in sorry shape. :(

-Went to the grocery store while Husband and Child watched Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.

-Put Child to bed.

19. fascination

hm....lessee...thurs; teach an oldies class....for the life of me, I cannot remember the rest but am pretty sure it was primarly sucked up by addressing a long outline for an upcoming meeting
    fri...teach a bike and bench class....a tough one:cool: .... a 4 hour lunch with a friend :)...wow...that was too long...enjoy a quiet evening with dh
    sat...re-stone some spots on a few gowns, do dishes, laundry, take out trash, feed and clean up after pets, sweep and mop all upstairs floors, scrub toilets, pay bills, tan, purchase some buttons for dh's overcoat and shop for dtr's b-day, come home and spend a lot of time sync-ing things to my ipod to use at work as I am tired of using scratchy CD's and they finally set up an ipod hook up

20. pygmalion

@ccm. Did you decide to get the awesome stiletto end table? If so, we must have pics of it beside your new Ikea sofa. Pics would be even better if ccc is seated on said sofa. :)

I haven't checked in in over a week. Hmm.

Highlights:

Really touching recognition meeting at work catches me completely by surprise. I got recognized for what I thought was thankless work. This is heartening, as it's work I enjoy that matters to me. Nice. Also at work, GF tells me that she has accepted a transfer to a new job. Now it's official. I'm the last member of my posse who's still there.

Home to somewhat-related long, frank discussion with twin sis, who is one of the only human beings on earth who gets to be completely frank with me without my getting defensive. Her basic message to me? "P. You are stuck. Make a decision and act on it. Or make a decision NOT to act. But stop believing your own rationalizations." IOW, in the AA vernacular, "Pee or get off the pot." I needed to hear this. What I find noteworthy, though, is that, even while I'm hearing this hard truth, I feel unconditionally loved. I have a great family. :) I make a decision. Quite a relief, actually.

DS is leaning toward not accepting the internship with his Dad this summer. I decide to let DS choose. Honestly, I will be relieved if he doesn't go. As stressful as single motherhood is, the weeks DS spends with his father are so much worse for me. I don't get a mental break. I remember what DS's father was like to live with, so I invariably spend those weeks waiting for shoe after shoe to drop. And of course, they do. Lots of shoes. *sigh*

Check in with Mom. Older sister's move to S Carolina is almost complete. Mom and Dad will have my sister and niece two minutes away. This is a relief, but I have to admit I am jealous.

SAT test prep with DS. My initial assessment is that what will help him is very low-key prep, spread over a long period of time. If I wait and sign him up for one of those short courses close to his test date, DS will stress out. So back to edhelper we go. It's a really inexpensive place to get unlimited worksheets and prep materials. Forty bucks a year is not bad. IIRC, you can print out up to seventy pages a day. That and a couple SAT-prep courses and he should be fine. SMU offers a summer course. The school district offers one during the school year. I will sign his up for both.

Pick out a new cell phone. Mine's been missing for a while and I kept hoping it would show up. But no. So, since I'm eligible for an upgrade and DS ticked me off by grousing when I borrowed his phone one too many times, I pick a new phone. 4G. All the bells and whistles. International dialing. Nice. Nicer than DS's phone, IMO. And free with a two-year contract. Much better than making an insurance claim. The claim would cost me a $100 deductible and I'd have no choice of phone. This way, I get what I want for free.

Pull curtain of charity over conversation with DS about the cell phone. In this conversation, I have to pull out the old chestnut, "I don't care how old you are. I will always be your mother. There will always be lines you cannot cross with me." I can't remember ever having had to say this to DS before but I feel perfectly justified in saying it now. He doesn't have to like it. He does have to treat me with respect.

Up almost all night last night. Something in me has changed and I feel energized. I spend hours watching Byron Katie videos on youtube. For some reason, The Work clicks for me this time in a way that it never did before. Decide to attend her webinar dealie that will be held on Wednesday, just to see if it's what I want to do next. I think it's time for me to work on some spiritual goals. Nice.

Write down some goals, spiritual and otherwise, then attempt to get a nap before the day begins.