yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

today (sat)

finish floors in lower level, more laundry, more dishes, practice, more downloading of CDs and syncing to ipod, more house cleaning in general.....couch potato now...bed soon
  2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

The bad news? Today is Sunday. *grin*
  3. fascination

sunday it is then
  4. pygmalion

Oh! I've been there. :cool: Have a good rest. :)
  5. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

SUNDAY:
    Continued work on arranging things onto new shelves in rec room and re-organizing Child's book collection generally. Entire series grouped together--YAY!

Put sesame-ginger chicken in crock pot.

Read Reckless to Child.

Finish off sesame-ginger chicken sauce. Store it for dinner.

Go get my hair colored. I kind of let it go over the break, but now school is starting, I have a dance comp coming up, and VagMon is coming up as well!

A little keyed up over first day of school, first time teaching FOUR different classes in one day, and uncertainty about the weather and what that will mean for me and for Child.
    -->As it turns out (since I am writing this on Monday): Child's school has a 1 hr delay (opening at 9:20) and the college is opening at 10 AM (which means my 9:10 AM class is cancelled, and I will start the day with my 10:20 class). That still works.
  6. pygmalion

I intensely dislike weather delay days. "Weather delay = the roads aren't really any better yet, but we're not giving you a day off, so hit the *slippery* road, suckers!" lol.
    ChaChaMama likes this.
  7. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Yup. Although it beats having to get there on time, or get docked for it.
    ChaChaMama likes this.
  8. ChaChaMama

I used to get especially annoyed if I was teaching two sections of the same course at 9:10 and 10:20. There are pluses and minuses to teaching two of the exact same class, and clearly one of the biggest pluses is that you only have to prepare one lesson plan! This is less brilliant, however, when the two classes don't stay in sync.

This semester, I have no duplicates, so this will not be an issue.
  9. pygmalion

Nothing much new yesterday.

The only thing I found noteworthy enough to remember and share is a Piers Morgan interview with Tony Robbins, in which Robbins talked about a phenomenon called "post traumatic growth," in which people who've been through devastating experiences emerge from their grief, find something larger than themselves, and grow beyond anything they could have imagined for themselves. The interview also featured a couple of people -- one high school kid who was paralyzed in a school shooting and an ex-Marine who suffered from post traumatic stress disorder, who have gone on to build wonderful lives of service.

This hit me hard, but in a good way. I'll have to do some research on post-traumatic growth. I've known for some time that it exists. One example is the Missouri Mom whose son died and who went on to form, in his honor, a foundation that rescues kids from slavery and young women from the sex industry. (I met her. She is something else!) http://www.oprah dot com/oprahshow/Sold-into-Slavery/11

To say that I find this inspirational is an understatement. I also find the timing interesting, for reasons that I have no doubt I'll share eventually.
  10. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Hug DS on entrance into our home. Note to him how proud of his self-accomplished large paver driveway he did at his first home....then...."can you do one for us?" he laughed.....pooey.
    GS#2 comes over,,,oh my....how tall are we? pencil line on wall with his name.
    Go over notes on my step-father, health and other issues.
    Caused by phone calls telling me he fell 7 times last week at various places.
    ok, "no driving for you" my mind says.
    Head up the hill, find step-father laying on sofa "getting his strength back" he says.
    hmmm, I say.
    I know he'll come clean with me if I just stay silent and sit with him.
    Surely, he does. He bares his soul - this is new.
    I listen.
    Really listen.
    Poor him.
    Run errands for him, discuss recent his most loved tennis matches, neighbor approaches me in driveway about my step-father and his falling in house, driveway and at grocery store parking lot.
    Game plan churns in brain on drive back down to my house.
    Cancel competition plans, keep lessons and coaching.
    Call step-dad, hey, how would you like me to spend a few days with you and we'll come up with a game plan together. He jumps at that.
    Inform DH not to come up with me - this is better if I'm alone.
    This is not my first rodeo with this, and I thank God, that my early career years were with the elderly during my medical training.
    Clean and pack for the next few days.
  11. pygmalion

Oh. I'm so sorry. When elders start falling, it is definitely time to do something.

Both my paternal grandmother and one of my Dad's sisters had serious falls while in the house alone. Both ended up with broken hips (The doctors were not sure whether the break caused the fall or vice versa.) Neither of them ever walked again. But, what's worse is that both of them spent quite a few hours on the floor in their homes, in pain and unable to call for help.

You have to do something. And, from the perspective of a friend and admirer of yours, thank you so much for being there for him. I know that having someone to count on means a lot to him. *hugs*
  12. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

went to the zoo yesterday...
  13. pygmalion

Having a little kid is cool. You have a ready-made excuse to go to kiddie places. Enjoy it while it lasts. My kid is six feet tall. Dragging him along isn't quite the free pass it used to be.
    bordertangoman likes this.
  14. ChaChaMama

MONDAY:
    FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL--Spring 2013!
    Dear Brain/Body: You are 45 years old. You have been doing first days of school since you were 3, when you went to nursery school. It's cute but also a little concerning that you still tend to wake up at 4 AM thinking "Is it time yet?!" Luckily, I managed to fall back to sleep.

6:30--Got up for real. Discovered the college has a 2 hour delay and will open at 10. Child's school will open at 9:20. Sweet. That still works.

9:20--Drop off Child.
    9:30--Arrive at campus. Parking lot is so empty that I wonder if there was a subsequent e-mail that I missed saying "J/K about that 10 AM start." I also wondered if anyone had told Buildings and Grounds about this 10 AM opening thing, with first classes at 10:20. Campus walkways are a sheet of ice. Icy rain is still coming down, so I have an umbrella in one hand and a lunchbox in the other, and I realize it is going to be hard to break my fall if I do slip. Luckily, I stay upright. Unfortunately, at least two other faculty in my building were not so lucky. :(

10:20--Great Works II. First day goes pretty well, from what I can tell.

Lunch and a trip to the library, which goes better than initial trip in.

12:40--Senior Seminar. Small class with six students. At end, one student asks how the Senior Seminar essay compares to grad school essays, because he is thinking of applying. I have an off-the-cuff chat with class about why you should not get an MA in English, but would be better off going in a field like Marketing, Public Relations, Educational Administration, Library Science, Publishing.

2:15-3:15--Office hours. Attempt to solve one young woman's problem about her sophomore seminar. Call Registrar's Office. No answer. Leave message. No call back as of 10 PM last night. Huh.

While I was in my 12:40 class, the official memo went out to faculty: I am the new FYS Director, and three colleagues--1 each from the Communication, Psychology, and Philosophy departments--will be co-coordinators of the Sophomore Interdisciplinary Seminar. I get people stopping by saying congratulations. I also post the news on FB and get lots of "Likes" and positive comments. It esp warms my heart to see so many alumni of the class liking the news and saying sweet things. <3

A little work on notes for evening class.

3:45ish--Home. Rest and read Stephen Greenblatt's Will in the World: How Shakespeare Became Shakespeare.

7:30-10--Grad class: The Modern World. Class is really small at 7 students...but I think it goes reasonably well! Given that I had no sense of what these students already knew or what the preceding course, The Ancient World, was like, this was a relief.

Home. Decompress/hang out on FB. Bed.
    pygmalion likes this.
  15. pygmalion

Woohoo! Congratulations, Madame Director. :)
    ChaChaMama likes this.
  16. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Sunday:

Flu recovery nearly complete; dressed and up and doing stuff like, y'know, cooking and stuff

Yesterday:

Weather report is mega-crappy, so off to the supermarket in the morning
    To Ex to pack and ship and do computer work
    Library
    UPS
    Home
    Mega-crappy weather report turns out to have been wrong, yay
    Lesson, in which I get coaching with mixed results, but boy, it's good to have an experienced outside pair of eyes in the room
    Some computer work for a friend
    Home
    Exhausted; z early
  17. ChaChaMama

TUESDAY:
    8-9 AM--Open session with Provost Candidate #1.
    9-11 AM--Office hours. Read an article that in some respects makes the diametric opposite point to the one I am making in my argument.
    11:30-12:45--Run my first meeting as FYS Director. It went rather well, especially given that I had been FYS Director for less than 24 hours at this point! I think we have at least three concrete changes that we plan to make emerging out of this meeting.

1ish--Home. Lunch. Before I can even eat, though, Husband is excited to show me our new tv, which arrived while I was at work. This is the first new tv we've had since 1995...and therefore our first flat screen one.
    1:40--6 miles on treadmill. Shower.

Briefly took dog outside. It was a beautiful day, so warm. Ice storm Monday, then around the 50s on Tuesday? Crazy.
    4:30--Left with Child for dance.
    5-8:30--Child dances. I read Greenblatt's Will in the World: How Shakespeare Became Shakespeare.

Put Child to bed.
  18. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Yesterday:
    Depressed, depresseder, depressedest. Maybe it's the uniformly grey sky; who knows.
    Gyro, and it is good.
    Quick visit to Blond German Friend, who is altering a gown for DB#1. Give advice.
    Rolfer, which is *stellar*.
    Depression survives gyro and rolfer; impressive.
    Retail therapy; useless, plus I also don't actually buy anything frivolous, so what good is that?
    Have coffee ~3pm; this will come back to bite me in the knat later.
    Make plans with a friend to do Serious Retail Therapy tomorrow.
    Home; cook.
    Phone call from DB#4, who is even more depressed than I am; we meet at movies (Silver Lining Playbook) and then go for a glass of wine; DB#1 meets us @winebar. We vilify the men in our lives, or lack thereof, decide that dancing is the worst or best thing ever, depending on the level of wine in our glasses, eat a bit of cheese, and DB#4 feels much, much better by end of evening.
    Home; depression, having survived the entire day, manages to keep on going and going and going; it's The Energizer Bunny of black moods. TDNWMH, especially since the coffee I had at 3pm is keeping me up; finally lie down and close my eyes and breathe deeply, hoping for sleep, some time after 1:45; far outside my comfort zone. Far. Waaaay far.
  19. fascination

m= teach step, eat, drive to indy, lessons, cannot eat, sleep
    t=eat, bank, lessons, eat, drive home, teach spin, take a group class, home, snack, try to sleep, wine and bengay....and wednesday has come too soon with no promise for rest.....this is a punishing week
  20. fascination

jalex...I hope that grey cloud lifts for you soon...I felt it nipping at my heels yesterday as well and assumed it was either that it was the birthday of the child we lost or the weather, but my son called and he said he was having the blues as well....and he really thought the weather was part of it for him....good news is that at least he and I like each other again....I hope you do some fun spending today :)
    j_alexandra likes this.