yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

this is one of the reasons I am hating the more mild winters here in the midwest...it used to be that, as long as the snow was below your waist and you could open your front door, no one ever batted an eyelash....let alone took time off...and this winter the first snow of any consequence was a few weeks ago and the streets depts were caught totally with their pants down....granted, they have since rallied and looked more like their old selves, but still.....

2. fascination

sunday...trip to drug store for comp supplies, tan, ....practice, pretty much useless beyond that

3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

You say this like it's a good thing. ;) Just FTR I love snow days. The nice thing about Texas is that a lot of people get them, not just school kids. :)

No idea how things are where you are, but IMO it sometimes has to do with budgets as much as anything. The last winter I lived Up North (aka The Frozen Tundra, aka the Lehigh Valley in PA aka Can You Guess Where I'll Never Live Again? lol) the weather was so consistently bad that cities ran out of street cleaning money. Of course, it took a while. There was an ice and/or snow storm every Wednesday from January until April and the temperatures were unbelievably frigid, so we didn't get the usual melting/help from mother nature. In January, the major roads were clean and passable in time for the morning commute and the side roads were clean in time for dinner. By about March, nobody expected anything other than one clean lane in each direction on major roads only. God help you if you lived in the boonies, which a lot of people did. We're talking the Lehigh Valley, twenty years ago. Boonie central.

4. pygmalion

Last couple of days but mostly yesterday.

Sunday: Pick DS up from the designated child exchange spot. (Conveniently located in the Target parking lot. Not that I love Target or anything ... ) I ask DS if he had fun with his Dad. DS makes noncommittal grunting noises that mean yes, he had fun, but he doesn't want to talk about it. Works for me. If he wants to talk about it, he can. If not, not. I'm just glad he had fun.

Witness a heart-breaking hug between ex and DS. It looked like the ex was drowning and DS was his life preserver. Seriously sobering. If I were in the ex's shoes (mostly estranged from the only child I'll ever have,) I don't know what I'd do.

Into Target to buy artichokes and mayo. Real mayo. Not that reduced fat crap. Not flavored. Not (with all due respect, f) Miracle Whip. Not "no fat sandwich spread" Not "hummus because it's better for you." Mayo. I don't eat it often, but when I do, it's got to be real. (Yes. I danced to that song in the 70s. What can I say? You had to be there.) While at Target, I flirt with the girl from DS's biology class on DS's behalf.

Also random drudgery. The story of my life.

Yesterday: A mixed bag.

GF, the one who's the last of my posse, announces her last day at work. This. Friday. And she'll be out at a doctor appointment on Friday, so her going away party has to be Thursday. Are you freaking kidding me? I promised GF, months ago, that I'd give her a going away party to be proud of. I don't plan to renege. But did it ever occur to her that these parties require a massive amount of planning? The theme we picked, months ago, was "The Great American Picnic." I need more than two days to get it together, sister, but get it together I shall. Where in the heck am I going to get a brisket by Thursday? *sigh*

Speaking of which, I need the recipe for slow cooker pulled chicken, ccm. :D

Lady I have been mentoring for four? five? months has been fired, something I largely attribute to a b^#%@ who undermined her at every step. TDNWMH. At. All. Yes. This lady had issues, but I am appalled that her managers took the word of a known backbiter rather than investigate for themselves. It also doesn't WMH because I know how hard this woman struggled to find any job at all. I definitely lost some respect for a couple people today. *sigh*

Chip and dip potluck goes off swimmingly, largely due to Artichoke Napalm and truly exceptional teamwork. The original plan was to have jarred dip and bagged chips. I was not a fan of this plan. So I decided to make some homemade dishes. But I wasn't the only one. We also got crudite, homemade guacamole and a homemade lovely dip made of cream cheese, sour cream, pineapple and pecans. OMG! Delish! And, to make it even better, the young guy I got so mad at months ago for dropping the queso ball came through like a champ. Not only did he make the queso on time, he washed the dishes and all the crockpots afterward and put them away for me. This means SO MUCH to me. I cannot say how much I appreciate his making the effort. This DOES warm my heart.

Home. Stupid TV. A little reading. Zzz early.

5. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

MONDAY...or shall I just call them MARATHON MONDAYS this semester?
    8:20ish--Drop off Child. Go to work.

9:10--ENG 1101. Two in-class debates, one on whether Westboro Baptist Church has the legal right to protest at military funerals, and one on whether Kony 2012 and other social media campaigns are a good way to get young people involved in social activism.

10:20--GREAT WORKS II. Descartes' Meditations. Define terms like epistemology, rationalism vs. empiricism, hyperbolic doubt.

Lunch and prep.

12:40--SENIOR SEMINAR. Students present psychoanalytic articles.

2:15--Office hours/prep time.

3:30--Head home.
    Husband had been to a Body Pump class and just did it with almost no weight, and skipped any cardio parts. He felt like he needed to try to get some exercise...and I think he missed his workout community.
    4:15--7 miles on treadmill in 68.38, jogging between 6.1-6.2 mph the whole time. Feel good about this. Shower.

7:30-10--GRAD: MODERN WORLD. "King Lear."

Home. Husband--who often stays up late--is already asleep. Fool around on computer until bed.

6. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Planned to skate. Not only slept late, we had another snow emergency (another three inches of lake effect, yippee ki yay), so driving to Notre Dame seemed like a bad plan. Gave dogs a long long walk instead. Nothing wears out foster dog. Caved like a bad souffle about crating him at night (he is from a puppy mill, so I think that might be why he gets so upset being crated) and let him sleep in my room with Old Dog instead. Wondering what will wear him out today so he'll go to sleep in his crate while I go to the rink. 2.5 mile walk and endless indoor fetch didn't seem to work yesterday.

7. fascination

oh boy...am in indy...that makes me wonder what I will be driving home to...

monday; teach step, lunch, pack, feed pets, drive to indy, snack on the way to lessons, practice, back to hotel skipping dinner....

8. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Hm. I've got to fly into/out of Indy in a few weeks. Here's hoping that there is no interesting weather going on that far south, especially since there's about an hour of driving after landing (to get to Cincy).

9. fascination

I think you will be fine down here in the middle part of the state....what doi and I are talking about is lake effect

10. fascination

but if you run into any issues, call me if I can help

11. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Yesterday, woke up sore all over. I swore to myself that my trainer is having far too much fun with the freeweight workouts and giving me 50 reps each. Really? brain to physical self, lifting an orange is difficult.
    DH laughs, well, actually he snickers as he reads the paper.
    Potential social dance partner, continually texts throughout morning, arrrggghhhhh.
    I'm not a person who has the cell phone attached to my hip...and i don't check it either. lol.
    Go outside for a strong 2.5 mile walk. Legs are screaming at me....really? no rest? really?
    Decide while walking, this is the day to clean the decks in my clothes closet...really clean, not just the
    maybe I'll fit this later clean.
    DH stears clear of me, then comes in at the end....askes to see inside of closet....which, for the most part
    is nearly empty. He is truly stunned....and speechless.
    I collect my Kohl's discount card, and the peel off as their sale is also offering a 10 buck Kohl's cash for every 50 spent.
    A new purse in on the horizon!
    Drag out ski clothes,,,go through every piece. Repack ski gear bag, wax my K2 one luvs....DH offers to lift skiis back on rack and I giggle, he must have thought they were lightweighted, pretty heavy sticks eh?
    Start getting DH and DS ready for NASCAR Hall of Fame Weekend trip. I hope they have alot of fun and bonding time.
    Charlotte here they come!
    Go work out again with trainer in the afternoon, this is new time,,,,I don't like it so much,,,he's had time to think!
    Plenty sore afterwards, Cancel Group Class at studio with pro....I can hardly move.
    DH offers waffles for dinner,,,,,I'm all in....and I'm not budging.
    Although,,,the 1,000 piece jigsaw puzzles are lookin pretty good and right up my ally.

12. danceronice

Fasc, shouldn't be too bad for you--it was actually sunny at ND and the snow didn't start up here until I got to Niles and it's SUPPOSED to end this evening. They said 1", and they're usually right about that for Indiana (for where I am in Michigan add 3-4" to everything.)

I suspect tomorrow's "yesterday's activities" will be "went skating. Probably regretting it!" (I am going to hurt. On the other hand, I started to get things back by the end of the session. And I got a reminder--looking at the floor in dance is bad because it compromises your posture and frame. Looking at the ice in skating is bad because it's a great way to bite it. I didn't, but I had a few close calls.)

13. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Sunday:

A totally lost day

Monday:

Lesson
    Group class
    Interpersonal interactions with interesting consequences, some good, some disastrous; will be interesting to see how this plays out, in the "old Chinese curse" sense of interesting

Tuesday:

Gyro!
    Lesson!
    Buy a new TV; am finally joining flatscreen nation, splitting the cost with father
    Cook cook cook
    To winebar to hang out with Blond German Friend
    Home, z

14. ChaChaMama

Left one thing out of my Monday report. My cousin and his wife just found out the sex of their babies: twin boys! They seem happy and excited.

TUESDAY:
    I cannot help but notice that Husband--who was asleep when I came home from work at 10:30 PM--is not getting up with Child, even though he is responsible for getting her ready for school on Tuesdays. So I get it done. Then Child manages to forget her lunchbox and I do an extra roundtrip, so that I am just on time for...

9-10:30--First meeting of the day: First Year Team.

Do some stuff related to said meeting.

11:30--Second meeting of the day: Visit Department Chairs meeting. Explain that we are currently short 6-9 first year seminars. (We currently have 24. We need 30-33.) Call out the departments from whom we have yet to hear. Yes, in public. We're near the deadline. Get 2 more commitments on the spot. A dean pulls me aside with a suggestion of where I might go for a third. Progress.

Run into some an advisee and her friend on the way back to office. Chat.
    A little downtime back in office.

1--Third meeting of the day: with the Center for Experience and Opportunity. We talk about how career counseling could be worked into Orientation.

1:45--Fourth meeting of the day: with Dean of Students. Exciting news and a new proposal, but I have to keep it secret until next week. I'm pleased.

Briefly back to office, then....

3--Pick up Child.

Read a bit with Child. Get her ready for dance. It's snowing again, just for fun.

5-8:30--Child dances. I put the seat back and take a nap. I am beat! Then read some of Greenblatt's Will in the World. And of course I go in in between classes to help with shoes, etc.

Home. Put Child to bed.
    Husband is downstairs watching something on tv...and I later realize it was "Downton Abbey." I call him out on this: why would you start watching a series set in Britain around WWI without your wife, whose primary specialization British literature and culture from around WWI to the end of the 20th century? Ahem! At least ask me if I'm interested.

Went to bed, where I proceeded to have a dream where I had forgotten to go teach my 9:10 and 10:20 classes and it was already 10:30 so I needed to get there...but apparently the college was at a hotel where there was also a dance competition, and some of the escalators were plummeting people down and were unsafe so I had to figure out another way to get there....

15. fascination

omg...I had a dream about forgetting to teach one of mine last night...
    yesterday; breakfast,bank, lessons, drive home, food, teach spin but jog the whole time b/c we have run out of bikes...that was no picnic...take a group class...home to eat and crash

16. danceronice

Yesterday: woken up by dogs (foster dog is MORNING DOG), walked dogs, went to skate--found my way around Notre Dame, found the rink, met lots of nice people. My boots are so stiff and my blades are definitely going to need a sharpening. Took the whole session, and I am so out of alignment (fell out of a two-foot spin almost, and what used to be an easy spiral almost became a faceplant), and the only three-turns I could get were the easiest ones for me, but next time will be easier. And even allowing for the drive, $4 a session isn't bad at all. Drove back in the snow, discovered Old Dog is not a fan of walking into the wind (he usually is the one who'd be happy to walk to Benton Harbor and back if I let him, but he turned back first this time), made dinner, managed to convince foster dog to sleep and to go back to sleep at 5:20am because I am not a morning person.

17. pygmalion

Tuesday: Two noteworthy things.

One DS gets his "folio" with his class ranking, etc. He is devastated, even though his GPA is so close to perfect it's not funny. His BFF's ranking is higher. *sigh* I've spent the boy's entire life trying to model for him to strive for excellence but to let go of perfection. I know this is not about me. I just want DS to be happy with himself. GPA be damned. Be happy. Not complacent. Happy. *sigh again*

Two. GF says the nicest thing to me. "You're just a Mama. You want to feed the world." This is the nicest thing anyone has said to me in a long time. It is true. I know that, in many cultures, "You're just a Mom," is a put down. But my GF's "You're just a Mama," reminds me of my great-Grandmom, who raised and fed countless other women's children during the Great Depression. It also reminds me of my family in Africa, among whom the title, "Mama" is an honor to wear. The fact that someone who really knows me would call me "just a Mama" brings me joy.

Lots of less noteworthy stuff.

Zzz late and restlessly.

18. fascination

wed///teach interval, go to subway for lunch, spend sometime refusing to let some crazy people get any closer to my life....I am getting very good at this....take a nap...love kitties...pick up some kung po chicken without the rice....tell self it isn't that bad without the rice....shop for grandbaby which erases the shadow of the pall the crazies tried to leave...also buy some books...am currently reading ParkerPalmer...would like to stay on a roll...chat with dh and a buddy...bed soon

19. ChaChaMama

WEDNESDAY:
    8:20--Drop off Child.

9:10--ENG 1101. Teach how to do MLA citations and Works Cited.

10:20--GWII. Descartes' Meditations.

Lunch/prep. Read a scholarly article.

12:40--Senior Sem. Feminist criticism. Everyone presents an article.

2:15--Office hours. Send some e-mails in my role as FYS director. Pledge $300 to the scholarship fund for Mid-Atlantic USA Dance.

3--Pick up Child. Look for new hip-hop shoes for her online. Semi-fail.

Read to Child.
    Husband breaks in. His step-dad turns 80 in late April. Can we go out to Seattle for the birthday weekend? Well, let's see:
    A) Late April-May and late November-December are the two busiest times in the college calendar,
    B) My own birthday is the same weekend (mine is actually ON A SATURDAY this year, so on a non-work day),
    C) There is a college ceremony I'm supposed to attend that weekend...though I'm tenured and generally good about these things, so I can get away with skipping.
    I'll probably say YES. Husband and Child are going to go. I guess I'll go for the good in-law points.

Order super cool Edible Arrangements basket for the Vagina Monologues gala. (The Grand Berry Confetti Cupcake, with half the strawberries chocolate dipped, plus white and dark chocolate dipped bananas, plus the number 10 carved out of pineapple.)

7--Child to dance. I read Will in the World, the chapter about England's anti-semitism (kicked Jews out in 1290, a good two centuries before they were kicked out of Spain!), and therefore how most English people in Shakespeare's day would never have seen a real live Jew. And yet Marlowe wrote "The Jew of Malta" and Shakespeare "The Merchant of Venice." So what's the cultural resonance of Jews in Elizabethan England?

Put Child to bed.

Spend some time on-line, including answering several messages about the gala this weekend.

Home. Put Child to bed.

20. danceronice

Took the circus on the road to the vet so dogs could get their shots, #4 Cat could get his, and foster dog could have an outing. Foster dog is wonderfully behaved, except when popped on the exam table and the vet when to look at his head. THen it turned into an exercise in getting a body hold on him while the vet kept his hold on his head, so he wouldn't learn he could could throw a huge fit to get out of it. Vet also offered that if the rescue ever needs ortho work, or any vet work, he worked with one up north at his old practice and would love to help. Rescue owner was thrilled to hear it. Down side, my old dog (the coming-fourteen one) does indeed have cataracts. Came home, took everyone for walks in the relatively mild weather. Found out someone bought one of my Etsy items, prepped package (yay! I love when people buy the stuff I make, not just the antiques and estate items I resell.)