yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

No, that's still a useful tip, and we actually do a lot of shopping online around these parts anyway. We are only 15 minutes away from a Target, and it's a nice store, but it's not a SuperTarget. Thank you, Crock Pot Guru. I bow to your slow cooker excellence.
    pygmalion likes this.
  2. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Yesterday: Foster doggie arrived! Clearly, he is young. Terrier mix. It's kind of nice, I guess, to have a dog around who thinks absolutely everything you do is EPIC. Loading dishwasher? EPIC! Doing laundry? EPIC! UNloading dishwasher? EXTRA EPIC! I'm amazed he isn't worn out from being in a constant state of astonishment. (My two dogs are exhausted from all the excitement.)
    j_alexandra and pygmalion like this.

NURDRMS Well-Known Member

Oh, no laughing here. Spent 15 years living in the DC area and know how crappy the roads can get with snow and ice there. As I remember, those roads seldom get a 'pre-treatment' like here in Colorado.
  4. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Should I say it? Yeah.

That's EPIC! Sounds like a blast. Enjoy your foster doggie. :)
  5. pygmalion

Yup. I grew up in PA, where PennDOT (IIRC)b was well-prepared for weather emergencies. They were out salting roads as soon as snow started flying. A storm has to be pretty major to cause problems there. Here in Texas, quite the opposite. Even the most minor weather event can become major, because the road crews just don't have the equipment and supplies to handle it.

You're still a wimp, though. :D *ducks and runs*
  6. pygmalion

I was going back through, re-reading stuff in this thread, just now, when I remembered something that good old Zig Ziglar said in his goal-setting seminar (I listened to it on tape a billion times. Was never blessed enough to see him in person, may he rest in peace.)

There are two types of goals : give up goals and go up goals. Give up goals (e.g. I'm going to quit smoking) should be shared with everyone. Go up goals (e.g. Two years from now, I'm going to have your job lol) should only be shared with people who can and will help you reach those goals.

This was also the seminar in which Zig shared the legendary advice, "Don't get cooked in a squat." Gotta love colloquialisms. Don't get cooked in a squat = don't spend so much time planning for and preparing for success that you forget to do the work and succeed.

I loved, loved, loved Zig Ziglar.
  7. pygmalion

Yeah. Hurricanes can be absolutely terrifying. I've lived through more than a few; it's not something I'd voluntarily do again.

My take? It's a "Their Eyes Were Watching God" kind of experience. In the moment, it's just you, your loved ones and an act of God. Live or die. Who gives a %#@& about all the things that seemed monumentally important yesterday? It's a very humbling (and could be enlightening) experience.
    j_alexandra likes this.
  8. ChaChaMama

And yeah, I've heard 1/2 inch of snow can cripple Georgia or north Florida...because it's just not supposed to happen there. Road crews aren't prepared, drivers aren't prepared, etc. Maryland isn't like that--and believe me, since my red car is now covered with white salt residue, they do get that salt down--but we're not Minnesota either.

One of the big problems I've found is that major roads are cleared quickly and frequently, but once you get off those major roads, it can be messy. Even the state roads aren't great. And I live in a rural-suburban county, so there are a lot of backroads. Don't get me wrong: there are some real pluses to living in a rural-ish area. Winter weather, however, can be challenging.

Chores (laundry, grocery store, liquor store, cat box)
    Watched part of Puppy Bowl and most of Super Bowl. I'm not a big football fan at all, but Baltimore was in it, so had to see the game.
  9. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

this is one of the reasons I am hating the more mild winters here in the used to be that, as long as the snow was below your waist and you could open your front door, no one ever batted an eyelash....let alone took time off...and this winter the first snow of any consequence was a few weeks ago and the streets depts were caught totally with their pants down....granted, they have since rallied and looked more like their old selves, but still.....
  10. fascination

sunday...trip to drug store for comp supplies, tan, ....practice, pretty much useless beyond that
  11. pygmalion

You say this like it's a good thing. ;) Just FTR I love snow days. The nice thing about Texas is that a lot of people get them, not just school kids. :)

No idea how things are where you are, but IMO it sometimes has to do with budgets as much as anything. The last winter I lived Up North (aka The Frozen Tundra, aka the Lehigh Valley in PA aka Can You Guess Where I'll Never Live Again? lol) the weather was so consistently bad that cities ran out of street cleaning money. Of course, it took a while. There was an ice and/or snow storm every Wednesday from January until April and the temperatures were unbelievably frigid, so we didn't get the usual melting/help from mother nature. In January, the major roads were clean and passable in time for the morning commute and the side roads were clean in time for dinner. By about March, nobody expected anything other than one clean lane in each direction on major roads only. God help you if you lived in the boonies, which a lot of people did. We're talking the Lehigh Valley, twenty years ago. Boonie central.
  12. pygmalion

Last couple of days but mostly yesterday.

Sunday: Pick DS up from the designated child exchange spot. (Conveniently located in the Target parking lot. Not that I love Target or anything ... ) I ask DS if he had fun with his Dad. DS makes noncommittal grunting noises that mean yes, he had fun, but he doesn't want to talk about it. Works for me. If he wants to talk about it, he can. If not, not. I'm just glad he had fun.

Witness a heart-breaking hug between ex and DS. It looked like the ex was drowning and DS was his life preserver. Seriously sobering. If I were in the ex's shoes (mostly estranged from the only child I'll ever have,) I don't know what I'd do.

Into Target to buy artichokes and mayo. Real mayo. Not that reduced fat crap. Not flavored. Not (with all due respect, f) Miracle Whip. Not "no fat sandwich spread" Not "hummus because it's better for you." Mayo. I don't eat it often, but when I do, it's got to be real. (Yes. I danced to that song in the 70s. What can I say? You had to be there.) While at Target, I flirt with the girl from DS's biology class on DS's behalf.

Also random drudgery. The story of my life.

Yesterday: A mixed bag.

GF, the one who's the last of my posse, announces her last day at work. This. Friday. And she'll be out at a doctor appointment on Friday, so her going away party has to be Thursday. Are you freaking kidding me? I promised GF, months ago, that I'd give her a going away party to be proud of. I don't plan to renege. But did it ever occur to her that these parties require a massive amount of planning? The theme we picked, months ago, was "The Great American Picnic." I need more than two days to get it together, sister, but get it together I shall. Where in the heck am I going to get a brisket by Thursday? *sigh*

Speaking of which, I need the recipe for slow cooker pulled chicken, ccm. :D

Lady I have been mentoring for four? five? months has been fired, something I largely attribute to a b^#%@ who undermined her at every step. TDNWMH. At. All. Yes. This lady had issues, but I am appalled that her managers took the word of a known backbiter rather than investigate for themselves. It also doesn't WMH because I know how hard this woman struggled to find any job at all. I definitely lost some respect for a couple people today. *sigh*

Chip and dip potluck goes off swimmingly, largely due to Artichoke Napalm and truly exceptional teamwork. The original plan was to have jarred dip and bagged chips. I was not a fan of this plan. So I decided to make some homemade dishes. But I wasn't the only one. We also got crudite, homemade guacamole and a homemade lovely dip made of cream cheese, sour cream, pineapple and pecans. OMG! Delish! And, to make it even better, the young guy I got so mad at months ago for dropping the queso ball came through like a champ. Not only did he make the queso on time, he washed the dishes and all the crockpots afterward and put them away for me. This means SO MUCH to me. I cannot say how much I appreciate his making the effort. This DOES warm my heart.

Home. Stupid TV. A little reading. Zzz early.
  13. ChaChaMama

MONDAY...or shall I just call them MARATHON MONDAYS this semester?
    8:20ish--Drop off Child. Go to work.

9:10--ENG 1101. Two in-class debates, one on whether Westboro Baptist Church has the legal right to protest at military funerals, and one on whether Kony 2012 and other social media campaigns are a good way to get young people involved in social activism.

10:20--GREAT WORKS II. Descartes' Meditations. Define terms like epistemology, rationalism vs. empiricism, hyperbolic doubt.

Lunch and prep.

12:40--SENIOR SEMINAR. Students present psychoanalytic articles.

2:15--Office hours/prep time.

3:30--Head home.
    Husband had been to a Body Pump class and just did it with almost no weight, and skipped any cardio parts. He felt like he needed to try to get some exercise...and I think he missed his workout community.
    4:15--7 miles on treadmill in 68.38, jogging between 6.1-6.2 mph the whole time. Feel good about this. Shower.

7:30-10--GRAD: MODERN WORLD. "King Lear."

Home. Husband--who often stays up late--is already asleep. Fool around on computer until bed.
  14. danceronice

Planned to skate. Not only slept late, we had another snow emergency (another three inches of lake effect, yippee ki yay), so driving to Notre Dame seemed like a bad plan. Gave dogs a long long walk instead. Nothing wears out foster dog. Caved like a bad souffle about crating him at night (he is from a puppy mill, so I think that might be why he gets so upset being crated) and let him sleep in my room with Old Dog instead. Wondering what will wear him out today so he'll go to sleep in his crate while I go to the rink. 2.5 mile walk and endless indoor fetch didn't seem to work yesterday.
  15. fascination

oh in indy...that makes me wonder what I will be driving home to...

monday; teach step, lunch, pack, feed pets, drive to indy, snack on the way to lessons, practice, back to hotel skipping dinner....
  16. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Hm. I've got to fly into/out of Indy in a few weeks. Here's hoping that there is no interesting weather going on that far south, especially since there's about an hour of driving after landing (to get to Cincy).
  17. fascination

I think you will be fine down here in the middle part of the state....what doi and I are talking about is lake effect
  18. fascination

but if you run into any issues, call me if I can help
  19. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Yesterday, woke up sore all over. I swore to myself that my trainer is having far too much fun with the freeweight workouts and giving me 50 reps each. Really? brain to physical self, lifting an orange is difficult.
    DH laughs, well, actually he snickers as he reads the paper.
    Potential social dance partner, continually texts throughout morning, arrrggghhhhh.
    I'm not a person who has the cell phone attached to my hip...and i don't check it either. lol.
    Go outside for a strong 2.5 mile walk. Legs are screaming at me....really? no rest? really?
    Decide while walking, this is the day to clean the decks in my clothes closet...really clean, not just the
    maybe I'll fit this later clean.
    DH stears clear of me, then comes in at the end....askes to see inside of closet....which, for the most part
    is nearly empty. He is truly stunned....and speechless.
    I collect my Kohl's discount card, and the peel off as their sale is also offering a 10 buck Kohl's cash for every 50 spent.
    A new purse in on the horizon!
    Drag out ski clothes,,,go through every piece. Repack ski gear bag, wax my K2 one luvs....DH offers to lift skiis back on rack and I giggle, he must have thought they were lightweighted, pretty heavy sticks eh?
    Start getting DH and DS ready for NASCAR Hall of Fame Weekend trip. I hope they have alot of fun and bonding time.
    Charlotte here they come!
    Go work out again with trainer in the afternoon, this is new time,,,,I don't like it so much,,,he's had time to think!
    Plenty sore afterwards, Cancel Group Class at studio with pro....I can hardly move.
    DH offers waffles for dinner,,,,,I'm all in....and I'm not budging.
    Although,,,the 1,000 piece jigsaw puzzles are lookin pretty good and right up my ally.
  20. danceronice

Fasc, shouldn't be too bad for you--it was actually sunny at ND and the snow didn't start up here until I got to Niles and it's SUPPOSED to end this evening. They said 1", and they're usually right about that for Indiana (for where I am in Michigan add 3-4" to everything.)

I suspect tomorrow's "yesterday's activities" will be "went skating. Probably regretting it!" (I am going to hurt. On the other hand, I started to get things back by the end of the session. And I got a reminder--looking at the floor in dance is bad because it compromises your posture and frame. Looking at the ice in skating is bad because it's a great way to bite it. I didn't, but I had a few close calls.)