yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

doi...it actually can be the dog...I have cats, I am allergic to cats, but the only time I have a respiratory reaction to them is on days when I vacuum and clean the floors, and therefore send all that dander into the floating air...same with itchy eyes...and fine unless I touch my eyes immediately after petting the girl cat...they look identical but her hare is finer and she has more dander

2. fascination

and regarding P's issue...I add my vote to CCM's perspective on it...and I would add that I think it better to drop the AP and let him do his own typing, because you won't be there in college and if he cannot navigate it on his own by then, he will be in some trouble....better that he try to problem solve that on his own now...obviously you know best, but again, you won't be there sooner than he can imagine

pygmalion likes this.
  3. fascination

ccm...can you ask a physician for a nebulizer machine...? this saved us many many trips to the ER...and solved legitimate and scarey breathing issues...

4. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

your cat owns a rabbit??;)

sorry couldnt resist:cool:

5. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

ccm Please know that I say this with love and as the only person I know of in this conversation who's been a patient in an ER in the past year. Please make a back-up plan now. Emergencies happen in an instant.

I respect that you know your limits and where you need/don't need help. Still. Make a plan, for ccc, if no one else. I remember how horrible it was to have to call my GF with the same name from the emergency room and ask her to meet DS at school. It was horrible.

danceronice likes this.
  6. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

CCMM, your DH absolutely needs to get a second or even third opinion. Let's not delve into my personal DH and DS life experiences - but it TOOK YEARS for DH to be healthy and going again.
    Sinus issues can last for years, becoming dormant as if they've gone away, yet the infection has found a home in the sinus tissue only to be re-activated with a wind, or exposure, or dust, or really anything and here you go again, another round of meds, fever, not well, no strength, sleeping, ect ect. An allergist that specializes in sinus issues is a good bet to visit. Surgery does not solve everything and it is not the Silver Bullet,( too long to explain but lots of experience). Also, did you have your home tested for any type of mold and hidden mold.
    Breathing treatments with a home nubulizer are excellent for opening up the lungs and bronchia passages. Many physicians can prescribe one for at least 30 days. One medication will open up the airways,,,and another packet of a different sort is when a person feels they are having difficult breathing of sorts.
    BTW, as much as we are natural caretakers in some respects, it's ok to say "no"...if you don't take care of yourself, who will take care of you when you need it and your overloaded circuit board burns out? Just a few expressive thoughts.

Yesterday, text and calls from DS and DH,,,at the NASCAR Induction Dinner - "This is EPIC mom - your the best mom ever"...."Honey, words cannot describe how I feel about this great Xmas Present you gave me,,,AWESOME would be one"...
    YES! Everyone should have a bonding weekend with their adult child...that they can share for generations to come.
    Double Lesson with Pro. The studio is freezing cold...I dance with my jacket on the entire time watching it hail outside.
    Home and clean the house. Stack a ton of paperwork I have to go through.
    Notified the hill is now open, search for looney ex-cop is still proceeding.
    Settle in after going to Trader Joe's and stocking up on really great new items that are organically good for me.
    Cold rain continues...and somehow,,,seems much needed for our yards.
    Final phone call from DH after they get back to hotel room from the NASCAR ceremonies.
    He's happier than a lark! This is good. And a great way to end the evening.

pygmalion likes this.
  7. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

I don't know what they are waiting on... I know from experience that it will not get better until surgery is done. If they're waiting for all of the infections to clear up, that isn't going to happen. Bomb it with antibiotics and go in.

8. pygmalion

All: I wasn't clear about DS's schedule. I only outlined the parts that are in dispute. In tenth grade, he's required to be in school for eight class periods. (In 11th and 12th, he can be released early to work, etc.)

Four core classes are required for all four years of high school (remedial, on-level, or pre-AP/AP are available for all)

English
    Math
    Science
    History

Depending on which "track" he's on, two, three or four years of a foreign language are required. This means that all 10th graders have to take a foreign language. DS can take Spanish, French, ASL, Chinese. He has chosen French, probably because his Dad and I both took French and because we know a ton of people from French-speaking African countries. Will it be useful? Probably not, but you never know.

Everything else is elective. DS's school offers some electives (such as Engineering) as full-year courses. Some others, such as Sociology and Psychology, are half year "survey" courses.

Right now, here's what his schedule looks like:

English 2 (level in dispute)
    Geometry (level in dispute)
    Chemistry (level in dispute)
    AP World History
    French 2
    Elective 1: Psychology/Sociology (half year each) (But I think he should do Speech and Teen Leadership instead)
    Elective 2: Probably Digital Graphics and Animation
    Elective 3: Likely Principles of Engineering (But DS is not thrilled with the course load, which is heavy)

In short, between the three of us, we agree on two out of eight classes. We've had the paperwork for a week. We have five days to go. DS and both parents have to sign off on any decisions. It's going to be a tough week.

9. fascination

friday..dh arrives home from Boston at 3am...my sleep having been greatly compromised waiting and worrying about that...teach a hard core bike and bench class, tan, and grocery store, chat with a friend...honest to goodness in bed by 6:30 til 7:30 this morning

10. pygmalion

I have a GF with sinus issues who has had two sinus surgeries in the four years I've known her. From her description, the doctors basically had to scrape out the infected tissue, but (obviously) there's no guarantee that the surgery's results will be permanent. Two surgeries in four years. Awful stuff. *shudder*

11. pygmalion

You have some really annoying coworkers. Just sayin.

Unless I'm mistaken, House of Cards is an American-flavored remake of a TRULY STELLAR trilogy of mini-series that was on Masterpiece Theater 20-ish years ago. If so, and if the American production even begins to capture the spirit of that show, it's gonna be good. (I think Kevin Spacey is a great choice for the lead role, btw.)

I used to work with a lady who was PROUD that she battled with the local school district to get a certain book removed from the high school library. According to her, the book was "un-Christian." I was appalled. IMV, books that high schoolers read can and should be disturbing sometimes. Otherwise, our kids grow up to be clones of us. Not good.

12. pygmalion

It is so valuable to have your and ccm's (and others') perspectives on this. I appreciate all of your input.

I think that we may have reached a tentative agreement. Two AP or pre-AP classes of DS's choice. AP Geography is already decided since we all agree. I think DS should go with geometry for the second (He's always been great at logic. Computation, not so much.) Ex thinks he should go with chemistry (Of course! Ex is a world class chemist. lol) DS gets to decide. But there shall be two AP classes. No more. More = crazy making. Less = weeding himself out of the possibility of future classes that have these as prerequisites.

Third elective: Principles of Engineering or Computer Science. DS gets to choose. Both are off campus, which is a whole 'nother ball of wax. But he gets to choose. Either way, he wins. He's interested in both as possible career paths. So it will be good for him to find out now whether either one is interesting enough for him to pursue it, long-term.

13. fascination

doing today now...as sleep is near...leisurely morning...practice, clean kitchen, dye nice natural hair color to something more ballroom-esque, engaged clients, dinner at Indian place...currently ready to crash

14. pygmalion

Yep. This woman is as Texan as they come (hence all the details about her guns, her political affiliation, her huge ranch, and her barbeque.) If she gives your BBQ a thumbs up, it's good. :)

Zoinks. Dunno what to say. I hope you feel better soon. *sigh*

15. pygmalion

Okay. Done with the schedule. Here it is:

English 2 (On level)
    AP World History -- not sure why I said Geography before; pre-AP Geography is what DS is taking now.
    Chemistry (On level Ex hates this but he's going to have to deal with it.)
    Pre-AP Geometry
    Sociology/Psychology (Half year each)
    French 2 (On level)
    Digital Graphics and Animation (gets DS the technology credit he needs to graduate)
    Principles of Engineering (Off campus. Sponsored by Project Lead the Way.)

If DS is in town, he'll take Communications Applications (AKA Speech - a graduation requirement) in summer school. Here, summer school is a bit different. You have to pay for it, regardless. Kids who want accelerated/supplemental course work can enroll. It's not just for kids who've failed a class.

If his schedule works out this way, he'll have all his graduation requirements (other than junior and senior year core courses) covered by the end of his sophomore year. Groovy. Then he can play around with whatever electives he wants. His school offers lots of fun stuff -- law, politics, public safety, medical terminology, child care, flower arranging. What the heck. DS can explore lots of career options, once he gets his graduation requirements out of the way if he wants to. It's one step at a time. Now we know what he's *probably* going to do next year. Whew. Now I can sleep. :)

16. NURDRMS

NURDRMS Well-Known Member

Doing today since it will soon be tomorrow. Grocery shopping at four different stores and STILL didn't get everything I need. But spent so much $ that I feel like Colorado Springs must not have any food left on the shelves because I've bought it all. Entire extended family beginning to arrive this Wednesday and with buying food for them plus making appetizers and desserts for the 75 folks coming to my promotion party next Saturday means I'll store most of the food that needs to be kept cool but not cold in the garage, where the temp hovers around 40 degrees.

Cook test batches of desserts for party, plus a batch of brownies that my dad has declared he wants to eat every day for breakfast. Daughter asks why she can't eat brownies for breakfast and I explain that when she gets to be 79 she can eat whatever she wants whenever she wants. Daughter declares test desserts "Awesome!" Yay!

Hire daughter to wash the pickup truck, which thrills her because that means she gets to 'drive' the truck out of the driveway and into the street so the driveway won't ice over with the water from the hose. And the $5 I paid her was just gravy as far as she was concerned.

Finished making gifts for all the girls in my family who are visiting, put snack bags together for the folks who will have to stay in a motel versus my house, wash clothes and then...

Spray-paint tulle navy blue and glue hundreds of stars on the resulting navy tulle to look like a night sky. (Decorations for the party.) Had to spray-paint the tulle (20 yards) in my front yard so now my brown grass is navy blue. Hey, the golf course behind the house spray-paints the grass on the greens green so why goes this seem so strange? Lots of looks from the neighbors but they're used to my 'uniqueness.'

Lose a neck-and-neck game of Words with Friends with dance pro. *darn!*

Margarita and email. Bed soon.

17. pygmalion

What a wonderful and exciting week you have ahead of you, NURDRMS! I was wondering when your party would be. Best of luck with everything! :)

18. pygmalion

Yesterday: 1) Snooze a lot. 2) Nail down DS's school schedule for next year. 3) Have an apoplectic fit.

Sorry to belabor DS's school schedule, btw. I wasn't actually expecting it to become a topic of conversation, but, since it did, I figured full disclosure was warranted. I hate it when people give you teasers online, then don't close the loop. lol.

Teaser person: My husband did the most amazing thing, so I made him chocolate chip waffles for breakfast.
    Me (in my thoughts): What! What did he do?!? Don't leave me hanging!

So now the entire internet knows, in excruciating detail, what classes DS will take next year. Sorry for the overshare. lol. (btw I misspoke. His school does not require all students to take a foreign language. On the "minimum" graduation track, no foreign language is required, which I think is a crime. But I digress.)

Apoplectic fit because DS has an English assignment due Monday. He received this assignment on January 8, the first class session of English this year. He had a month to do it. More accurately, 34 days. It's a fourteen page, in depth analysis of a magazine article. Fourteen pages of participial phrases, infinitive phrases, etc. IOW not exactly riveting for most people, but still. Required. (And a fine requirement, too, as it's related to SAT writing prep.)

He started it at 6:30 last night. Then he had the nerve to give me sad puppy eyes when I refused to help him with it. No. No and no. I am not going to spend Saturday night diagramming sentences unless I'm the one earning a grade for it.

I suspect I'll get more sad puppy eyes later today, when he has to finish it himself. Maybe next time he'll know that when a teacher gives you a month to complete an assignment, that's a pretty good clue that you need a month to complete the assignment.

19. pygmalion

Oh yeah and I left out shopping.

Nothing noteworthy other than the fact that DS is sleeping enormous amounts and eating tons of food these days. I can't keep enough food in the house. (Maybe I should send him to NURDRMS' garage this week? lol) I think a growth spurt is in the offing. It is mind boggling how much the boy eats.

Seriously. I went grocery shopping for the week, then brought him lunch from Wendy's as a treat. A grilled chicken sandwich. Large chili. Orange drink. Frosty. He ate it all. I took a two hour nap. While I was asleep, he plundered my grocery stash and ate a bag of jerky, two snack bags of Doritos, a 12-ounce bag of sour apple slices, and an entire family-sized bag of Chex Mix. He basically ate all the salty the snacks I was planning for him to have all week in one two-hour period, as an after lunch snack. *shakes head* So I guess that's it until next week. No more salty snacks. He can have all the apples, carrots and celery he wants, especially since that's all we have left. :)

ETA: I forgot to mention that he'd already had a huge breakfast -- Two or three scrambled eggs, five pieces of bacon, apple slices, two oranges, orange juice, whole milk, whole wheat toast, apples, celery, carrots, strawberries, and yogurt. I kid you not.

While I was out shopping, I also bought office decorations from the dollar store. Giant, pastel colored tulips and butterflies made of felt. I made a command decision and left the Easter eggs there. Two reasons: One. Not everybody celebrates Easter. Two: All this decorating can get to be a pain. I want decorations that are going to last a while, for a change. I want something that's going to last until it's time to put my summer 'fun in the sun" stuff back up.

20. fascination

nurdrms...you are a champ.....have to say that if I was a party to celebrate my own promotion, there would be caterers, and the decorators and dishwashers would not be me...you are mighty...and don't even get me started on managing to get a child to wash the car