yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Didn't hear that (I wouldn't; never listen to NPR) but I have read one biography of Laura that indicates Mary had at least one stroke and possibly more with the fever. The books don't pretty it up as much as the (joke of a) TV series did, but Mary definitely did not have it even as easy as it comes across in the stories. (Not as hideously depressing as how much darker Louisa May Alcott's family was, though.)
  2. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Heh. My brother is the only person I know who has had scarlet fever...and he has had it four? five? times. He and my mom can both diagnose it. Strange. I mean, who gets scarlet fever these days, in the United States?
  3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Yeah. Kinda like croup or pleurisy. Everybody's heard about them from Grandma, but pretty much nobody gets them anymore.

What the heck is pleurisy, anyway?
  4. pygmalion

Yeah. The TV series was so ridiculous. Oh! Mary got sick and now she needs glasses? What a joke!!!

I hear ya about NPR. Definitely not everybody's cup of tea. I got introduced to it when the ex and i were dating; it was on his radio alarm preset. Talk about annoying; waking up to Robert Siegel or some such. Oy! But I got hooked on the in-depth news analysis, which is much harder to find these days than it was back then. Now it's all pundits all the time. Regardless of which side you're on, there's somebody yelling their opinion at the top of their lungs. At least NPR makes an attempt to report both sides. (Sometimes more successfully than other times. *shrug* )
  5. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

Pleurisy can be a complication of pneumonia. It is another lung kind of thing.

I too was unaware that people still got that in the 21st century, but my BFF's girlfriend had cancer, and then the chemo brought on pneumonia and the pneumonia led to pleurisy.
  6. pygmalion

I think we're pretty lucky, in this country, overall. ** I was reading Bill Gates' annual report/letter the other day. His foundation is working on eradication of [get this] polio. In 2013. Polio. The work is being hampered in places where either a repressive political regime or civil war prevents aid workers from reaching everyone with vaccines.

But still. Polio. In 2013. Mind boggling.

** But yes. Those who are already ill are so much more at risk. My brother, who is paraplegic, has gotten so many weird infections and other horrible stuff in the (OMG) thirteen years he's been in a hospital bed.
  7. samina

samina Well-Known Member

I was particularly susceptible to scarlet fever & strep throat as a child, for some reason.
  8. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

My brother had whooping cough when he was about 6. That's another one you don't hear about much these days. Being of a certain age, I had several childhood diseases which almost everyone had back then because there were no vaccines -- mumps, measles, chicken pox, German measles. My mom was eight months into a difficult pregnancy when I came down with the mumps, and I had to be sent to live with my grandmother for a month.
  9. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Anyway... Saturday was electronics shopping day. I bought a new laptop to replace my crippled Hewlett-Packard, a new Internet-enabled DVD player to replace the old one in the den that had its laser go kaput, and a portable DVD/MPEG player to take to the studio when we're working on coaching or choreography. HH Gregg had some pretty good President's Day deals.
  10. pygmalion

I can relate. I'm pretty sure I had a German measles vaccination. But I distinctly remember when Twin Sis got the mumps. (Her cheeks were major league puffy. And she got all sorts of special treats. I was jealous. We were four, so I was too young to realize that getting sick to get attention was a bad thing overall.) Miraculously, I never got the mumps. I did, however, get the measles. And, because I was in the transition generation where only some people got vaccinated, I also got chicken pox ... one week before senior prom. Tragic! lol
  11. pygmalion

Holy cow! I just realized that Cornutt is DF member #342. Wow.
  12. samina

samina Well-Known Member

We have numbers? Where does that display?
  13. ChaChaMama

I'm curious too!
  14. pygmalion

I don't think it does display in your profile. At least, I haven't found it there.

If you quote someone, before you it submit, the beginning of the quote says

quote = "username, post: post number, member: member number

ETA: That's not clear. It says this.

quote="samina, post: 985745, member: 10639"

So, for example, your post that I just quoted is post #985,745. Your member number is 10,639.
  15. pygmalion

I suppose I should add that, when I was little, it was pretty much assumed that you were going to get certain "childhood diseases," so it was pretty common (in my community. Can't speak for others.) to deliberately expose your child to chicken pox or whatever, so they'd get it out of the way. Common knowledge was that it was simpler/less painful to get it as a young child than as an adult. Nobody doubted that, at some point, you were going to get it. It was just a matter of when.

So, when twin sis got the mumps, it was business as usual. She and I shared a bed just like we always had. For some reason, I never did get the mumps. *shrug* No big deal either way.

However, I'm going to go on record, here, and say that going to senior prom with chicken pox scars is less than ideal. :D
  16. ChaChaMama

FRIDAY:
    Child's country research fair. Her report was on South Africa and she did a really nice job! I like the fact that she talked about apartheid in at least three different sections of her poster board: history, economics, education. I feel like she has a pretty good sense of how the history of racism continues to impact a culture after the racist laws go away, especially for a 5th grader. (Some adults I know seem to have a hard time wrapping their minds around this concept.)

[I cancelled my 9:10 class so that I would be able to spend more than 10 minutes at this event. School starts at 8:20, and their research fairs start at 8:40. The school has put out these dates far in advance the last couple of years, so this semester, I just built these exceptions into my schedule.]

10:20--GREAT WORKS II. Frankenstein. I was actually a little surprised; the class seemed a bit quiet today, and normally this is a book that would get a lot of discussion. Huh.

Lunch.

Graded 3 ENG 1101 essays, with an interruption from someone from the government. They've found me out. No, just kidding. The guy flashed a badge and said they were considering an alumni for a job and could he interview me. We get these from time to time. So I did that.

I was about to bounce on out to Towson, but checked my e-mail. There was one from another member of the FY team hoping I was on my way. Um, I don't think I knew we had a thing today! Not a great feeling. Luckily, she included a room number. I headed to the room, hoping that I was not supposed to be the presenter at whatever this thing was!!!

AHA! It is a meeting to go over the first year website. I love our web designer. (He's an alum from the class of '99 and I taught him in several classes. And went to a bar to see him to karaoke. He's a fun guy, in a band, etc.) Unfortunately, one member of our team wants to go over Every.Single.Detail. I text Nik and ask if we can move off our lesson 1 hr. I should have said 2 hrs!

The chair of my department gave a mini version of this "demotivational" poster to a colleague, and I have to say there are days where I heartily concur!
    http://www.despair.com/meetings.html

Of course, I hate to be the one to suggest the meeting should end, since I was there late, but I *am* going to make it to Towson. Next week is an absolute bear and I will not be able to do a lesson. I don't want to go two weeks without lessons unless I really, really have to. Endless Friday afternoon meeting does not reach "really, really have to" status. Really. Shut up, peeps. Let the web designer do his job. That's what we pay him for.

Rush home. 5 min turn around. Out.
    3:05--Leave for Towson. Of course hit crummy traffic on the Beltway. It's just going to be one of those days.
    4:10--Arrive for a lesson that was originally scheduled for 3, then moved to 4.

Good lessons, almost entirely focused on technique. Nik makes it clear that now that I am getting better, he is going to expect more out of me technically in terms of foot usage, use of neutral, timing of specific actions down to the quarter-of-a-beat level. He also has some things to say about hitting a line and why it is important not to just think about the picture, but the stretch to enable the next action.

Home. Dinner.
    Husband is still feeling poorly. His surgery is scheduled for a week and a half from now. I think there is at least a 10% chance the doctor will say he is too unhealthy for the surgery and postpone it. But what do I know?

Family Fun Night: Skyfall. Child's first James Bond movie!
    [I just found out, much to my shock, that my sister--who is 39 years old--had never seen a James Bond movie until Skyfall! I'm not sure how this happened. She sees plenty of movies.]
  17. ChaChaMama

SATURDAY:
    10ish--Child and I to the college, where I grade some papers. Husband isn't feeling well enough to drive her to gymnastics, and I say I'll do it IF she will come to work with me, as work is halfway to gymnastics and I don't want to have to leave work, drive the wrong direction, pick her up, and then drive her to gymnastics. I have to get through this stack of papers this weekend.

11:45--Leave for gymnastics.
    12--Child's class starts. I head back to work and grade a little more.
    12:45--Leave to pick her up.
    1--Class ends. She and I head to the campus convenience store for fortification, then back to the office.
    3--Head home!

Evening activities include dinner and writing in diary. I was supposed to call my sister back (she called while I was at work) but forgot.
  18. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Exactly. Let the immune system do its work, ay? I had most everything, as did my kids. Their immune systems are now strong, almost never get colds or flus -- it would be remarkable for them to be laid up in bed and miserable. But kids these days are generally quite the opposite, catching every little thing.
  19. samina

samina Well-Known Member

I hope your sister doesn't judge the franchise on that one alone... :)

Sorry to hear about DH still not being well, Cha.
  20. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

I had whooping cough, even though I'd had the vaccine. The pediatrician looked at me and said, "I haven't had a case of whooping cough in 35 years. Where did you get it?" I also had double pneumonia -- at the same time as the whooping cough. I was one sick 11 year old, as in "nearly died several times" sick. Haven't thought about it in years.

I also had chicken pox, mumps, measles, German measles.

I must be tough.
    samina and pygmalion like this.
  21. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Yesterday:

Out of town Friend goes to NYC for a workshop; I noodle around with tech gadgets and get new tv, new cable box, and new blu-ray gizmo to play nice. Color me happy. I watch Hugo on streaming video, wirelessly, on the giant tv, color me happy.
    To NY to theater; meet friend at Apple Store at 5th &59th, dine frugally at a local deli with a food bar, then theater.
    Home, check FB, big mistake, online until well after midnight, well past my bedtime.
    Z