yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

Have you tried any non-DHA temporary tanners? I think Loreal has one, and other companies make transfer-proof makeup that ought to double as tanners if you choose the right shade. I tried a bronzer from Maybelline on my face a few times (arms too) and it really didn't budge until I washed it off. And believe me, I *sweat*.
    Either that or purposely go for the goth look. Got a black dance dress? ;)

2. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

I'm wearing black for my comp next week. I am even paler than DOI, although she is plenty pale. I am white-white, scary white, "are you OK?" white. The Goth idea works for me; I"m a huge fan of being different from everyone else on the floor.

Teach is *insisting* that I use bronzer.

Battle of Wills!

3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

fri...teach a full class of bike and bench, with special surprise attendance of my boss...spend at least an hour getting information on becoming a trainer for other instructors, home to clean house and feed animals, shower and head out to see bereaved clients from previous grief group, from there head out for cocktails with friends...home late...suffering now

4. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Seeing you with a suntan would be surreal.

5. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

I got a spray-on tan once, to see if it would work. Never. Again. NEVER. "surreal" doesn't begin to describe.

6. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

If I wear black, I look dead. (In any case, the dress is leopard-print with very heavy stoning.) I've never found a drugstore tanner I liked (of course I never darken my skin except for dance, and they don't work as well as SuperBraun/ProTan et al, so....they all dry out my skin, but the drugstore ones seem to dry it out AND streak.) I may just get a can of AeroTan Sex Symbol or whatever the closest thing the vendor has and spray my exposed skin--it'll make something of a mess for NP's hands but I'm sure it's not the first time. I'm one of the people it turns gold, not orange, and it does look sparkly. At least the dress is long and has long sleeves, and I wouldn't be caught dead without fishnets so my legs I can cheat a bit.

My hair, well, if whatever R. uses on it doesn't make it look dark and hide the gray fading, maybe they'll give me credit for dancing down (even though I'm still a year too young for anything but A.) Had to tell her I STILL don't know when I need hair help, but the heat lists weren't up yesterday and I haven't checked yet.

Other than lessons, nothing much, because the latest lake-effect snow warning started last night and goes until 4am tomorrow. Soooooo bored. And old dog does not walk well in snow now because he squints. Shopping shopping, avocado, smoked salmon, crackers...next local-fund-raiser-cookbook-recipe will be onion pie, but I have to finsih more casserole first.

7. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

doi...I am sure that sue bourget would be willing to give you some idea on the timing if you called her

8. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Onion pie? Yep. You're definitely a Midwestern gal. You're reminding me of the Laura Ingalls Wilder books. Apples and onions. (From Farmer Boy) Hmm. I've always wondered how that tastes.

btw, did you hear the story on NPR last week? It seems that Mary, Laura's sister, did not go blind from scarlet fever. Scarlet fever doesn't cause blindness; scarlet fever was most likely a literary device. It's more likely Mary had a form of meningitis.** Hmm. Whoda thunk? Childhood memories challenged. *shrug*

** People who would have been reading the books at the time knew what scarlet fever was; nobody had a clue about meningitis.

9. pygmalion

10. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Didn't hear that (I wouldn't; never listen to NPR) but I have read one biography of Laura that indicates Mary had at least one stroke and possibly more with the fever. The books don't pretty it up as much as the (joke of a) TV series did, but Mary definitely did not have it even as easy as it comes across in the stories. (Not as hideously depressing as how much darker Louisa May Alcott's family was, though.)

11. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Heh. My brother is the only person I know who has had scarlet fever...and he has had it four? five? times. He and my mom can both diagnose it. Strange. I mean, who gets scarlet fever these days, in the United States?

12. pygmalion

Yeah. Kinda like croup or pleurisy. Everybody's heard about them from Grandma, but pretty much nobody gets them anymore.

What the heck is pleurisy, anyway?

13. pygmalion

Yeah. The TV series was so ridiculous. Oh! Mary got sick and now she needs glasses? What a joke!!!

I hear ya about NPR. Definitely not everybody's cup of tea. I got introduced to it when the ex and i were dating; it was on his radio alarm preset. Talk about annoying; waking up to Robert Siegel or some such. Oy! But I got hooked on the in-depth news analysis, which is much harder to find these days than it was back then. Now it's all pundits all the time. Regardless of which side you're on, there's somebody yelling their opinion at the top of their lungs. At least NPR makes an attempt to report both sides. (Sometimes more successfully than other times. *shrug* )

14. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

Pleurisy can be a complication of pneumonia. It is another lung kind of thing.

I too was unaware that people still got that in the 21st century, but my BFF's girlfriend had cancer, and then the chemo brought on pneumonia and the pneumonia led to pleurisy.

15. pygmalion

I think we're pretty lucky, in this country, overall. ** I was reading Bill Gates' annual report/letter the other day. His foundation is working on eradication of [get this] polio. In 2013. Polio. The work is being hampered in places where either a repressive political regime or civil war prevents aid workers from reaching everyone with vaccines.

But still. Polio. In 2013. Mind boggling.

** But yes. Those who are already ill are so much more at risk. My brother, who is paraplegic, has gotten so many weird infections and other horrible stuff in the (OMG) thirteen years he's been in a hospital bed.

16. samina

samina Well-Known Member

I was particularly susceptible to scarlet fever & strep throat as a child, for some reason.

17. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

My brother had whooping cough when he was about 6. That's another one you don't hear about much these days. Being of a certain age, I had several childhood diseases which almost everyone had back then because there were no vaccines -- mumps, measles, chicken pox, German measles. My mom was eight months into a difficult pregnancy when I came down with the mumps, and I had to be sent to live with my grandmother for a month.

18. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Anyway... Saturday was electronics shopping day. I bought a new laptop to replace my crippled Hewlett-Packard, a new Internet-enabled DVD player to replace the old one in the den that had its laser go kaput, and a portable DVD/MPEG player to take to the studio when we're working on coaching or choreography. HH Gregg had some pretty good President's Day deals.

19. pygmalion

I can relate. I'm pretty sure I had a German measles vaccination. But I distinctly remember when Twin Sis got the mumps. (Her cheeks were major league puffy. And she got all sorts of special treats. I was jealous. We were four, so I was too young to realize that getting sick to get attention was a bad thing overall.) Miraculously, I never got the mumps. I did, however, get the measles. And, because I was in the transition generation where only some people got vaccinated, I also got chicken pox ... one week before senior prom. Tragic! lol

20. pygmalion

Holy cow! I just realized that Cornutt is DF member #342. Wow.