yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

maybe a new thread for that? with a caveat about the political issues
  2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Not enough meat for a thread, IMO. I'm thinking about signing up for the one that will be here in November. Done and done. I see it as apolitical, but if anybody has strong, potentially controversial opinions about it, feel free to PM me. :cool:
  3. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

My sister did it several years ago, back when they were the Avon 3-day walks. Her particular event had some weather challenges, but I know she is glad she did it. She had a friend who had had breast cancer already, in her 20s. I think it felt good to do something, and the friend appreciated it. That friend eventually did have a recurrence and died. :(

That said, I personally *do* have a problem with the way Susan G. Komen treated Planned Parenthood last year. (I am a PP supporter. I don't give a huge amount of $, but I do give.)

I also have some questions about one of their advocacy positions, namely that early testing saves lives. I really think this is something every person needs to think about on her own, though, so I'm not going to give you a big pitch for my point of view.

I will, however, highly recommend Gayle Sulik's Pink Ribbon Blues: How Breast Cancer Culture Undermines Women's Health. Oxford: Oxford UP, 2010. There are other good books on this topic too, but that's a good starting place for an alternative view of Pinktober.
  4. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

I've heard of that. Funny thing is, I don't recall anyone having to do that in my day... all the kids I knew had had all of the diseases by the age of 10 or so.

Ow! I've heard that chicken pox is an awful experience. I was only 2 when I had it and I only vaguely remember. My mom tells me that I was miserable and that she didn't sleep for several days because she was so worried.

By the way, gal, I see your member number is 213. :)

NURDRMS Well-Known Member

I have done the 3-day walk, back in 2001. I had a wonderful time, but raising the required $ to register was difficult and I read a report afterwards that claimed not enough of the money went to the actual charity. I was able to walk the entire 60 miles but my training buddy couldn't; blisters were her enemy. Let me know if you'd like more info.
  6. pygmalion

Yes. I have read/heard about a lot of different views on Susan G Komen. I also am a PP supporter, for a lot of reasons, including the fact that, back when I was a poor struggling student, I was a PP user. I still give cash, with company matching funds. :D Not a fan of the way the Komen Foundation handled PP either, to be honest.

But raising money for breast cancer research is, net net, a good thing, IMV. *shrug*

I will read the book. :)
  7. pygmalion

Which means we joined at almost the same time. :) You must've been a master lurker, back in the day.
  8. pygmalion

I'll definitely look into what's required, and I may take you up on your offer of info. :)

NURDRMS Well-Known Member

Yesterday. Entire extended family here for promotion. Up literally at the crack of dawn to finish food prep for party. Devein and deseed jalapenos for Afterburner appetizers, finish brie tartlets, etc. Head to Air Force Academy ballroom and begin party set-up. DJ arrives, food arrives, guests arrive. Family is wonderful help, even youngest daughter, who is in the "I'm 15 and can't be bothered" stage. Terrific time with dinner and dancing afterwards. Guests leave, clean-up begins, assisted by several Academy cadets who want to use the ballroom for their own dance party and need this 2-star general to leave in a hurry. Drive home, where I was so very tired that I wasn't sure I'd make the 20 minute trip. Home. Eat, because I didn't eat a bite during the dinner party. Bed.
    pygmalion likes this.
  10. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Oh, yes, you can put on quite a bit, because you're always hungry. Though it's better than the other side effects.

Today was boring unproductive day, other than the great backyard bird count. I keep trying to figure out what I can do tomorrow given it's a holiday, though at least the stores should be open.
  11. pygmalion

Not sure why, but I thought the weight gain had to do with swelling/inflammation, not necessarily increased eating. *shrug* You learn something every day. :cool:
  12. pygmalion

I took a good look at her blog (also ordered the book from amazon.) I also perused the 3day dot org site quite a bit. Hmm. Yeah. It's a complex issue. I found the juxtaposition of Sulik's blog entry about sexy breast cancer ads demeaning women and an entry on Komen's site which praised a fundraiser called Tutus for Tatas pretty compelling.

But (I think we've talked about this before.) From where I sit, having lost more family than I want to think about to various forms of cancer, doing something is better than doing nothing. I hear ya and think that the sociological impact of a Komen foundation is probably different than originally intended and possibly different than stated (maybe even deliberately so.) But, at the end of the day, if I raise the $2300 needed, a big old chunk of money will go into breast cancer research. (Still googling to find out how much, exactly. I forget the website, but I know that there's one out there which tracks exactly how much of an organization's money goes to admin costs versus the actual cause. I'll do my due diligence on that before I proceed.)

The whole conversation kinda reminds me of one I had years ago (with an activist psychology professor friend. Hmm. *wiggly eyebrows* lol) I had cut my hair and was sporting a really cute afro. So she said to me, "Hmm. P. It's really brave of you to make such a strong political statement with your hair." I looked at her like she'd lost her mind and said, "The only statement I'm making with my hair is that I'm too busy to straighten it." :eek::) A lot depends on your perspective, especially when it comes to things like efficacy of cancer screening.

Screening doesn't save lives. But catching cancer early can't be a bad thing. IMV, my Dad is alive because his brother died. My uncle, M, had cancer that went untreated for a long time, mainly because of fear. My Dad saw what his brother went through and made himself get screened regularly. So, when Dad got cancer, it was caught at the very, very early stages. Dad had radiation treatments; he refused chemo. Dad is alive and well, 16 years later. Maybe not cause and effect, but, in my mind, related.

I think that it's dangerous for any organization to imply that screenings do anything other than screen; it can lead to complacency. (Especially when you consider the open questions about potential side effects of mammograms.) But what good does the organization do? That's my question.

I haven't decided to do this (60 miles is a lot of walking,) but I will say that I checked out my work website. They match donations up to $10,000 per year per employee. If I had to raise funds, I could potentially get away with raising only $1,150. Not hard to do. :)
  13. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

sunday; essentially a day of nothing more than ticking things off the "to-do" list and resting....
  14. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

3hrs and 4 min ( 5 sessions) with my smooth pro on sunday

very productive working on moving center to center and collecting
    pygmalion likes this.
  15. pygmalion

Yesterday: Day of awesomeness, when it comes to shopping.

To Staples, where I find the World's Best Pencils on sale at roughly half price. (Ticonderoga. The package actually says the world's best pencils, and it's right. :D )

To dollar store, just for chuckles, where I find that they have restocked felt "spring"decorations. I buy tulips. I can now be politically correct and, as an added bonus, will need no cardboard magnolias. Decoration harmony has been restored and all is right with the world.

To grocery store for wine. Cashier does not card me. A very good thing, since my card is in the car. Also find chick-o-stick, a fave candy from the "penny candy" aisle when I was little. Not a penny anynore, but what the heck. Nostalgia is always good.

To another grocery store, where I find the World's Cutest Stuffed Cow and buy it as a gift for Twin Sis. She's been collecting stuffed cows for a long time.

Also watch stupid TV. Other stuff that I'll probably remember later.
  16. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Up, exercise, breakfast, nap. Napping is good.

Up again, shower, out of shower to find house reeking of stinkbugs (DH vacuumed), head to Annapolis. DH and I head to the mall. I haven't been in a mall in ages (I generally avoid them like the plague.), and it is much fun. I fall in love with a wonderful pair of shoes but, alas, they aren't in the budget. Had they been more practical, I'd have more strongly considered them. But, aside from with jeans, when am I really going to wear black patent/white linen wing tips w/ red stitching? I mean, they're wonderful, but not quite practical.

http : //www .

Head to grandmother's/Aunt's house for birthday dinner for my uncle and brother (who isn't there). Generally have a good time, except for the fact that my younger cousins drive me up a wall. I thought it was just me, not having much tolerance for rambunctiousness and kids in general, but they drive my parents nuts as well: no manners, very bad table manners, and generally overly entitled, rude, and whiny.

Older of the two younger cousins is having her Bat Mitzvah soon. Turns out it will be here in the US, as opposed to in Israel, which had been the previous plan. Hmmm...have to start figuring out what to give her for a gift. I'm assuming money, but how much. Also, these girls have everything they could every want or need. I don't know that money will necessarily be much of a gift, at least not in the quantity we will be able to give...although I suppose more is always appreciated. But when diamond pendants, single- and double-strand pearl necklaces, and the money for a first car have already been given/received as gifts for birthdays and such, how much is a couple of hundred dollars actually going to be noticed/appreciated. Although I realize it's not about me. Suggestions, anyone?

Invite family for Easter. This goes over well. Grandmother gives me the guilt trip for not giving her any jam at Christmas. I didn't realize she was out. Will make amends.

Drive home in blessed silence. I love my family, but I also find them intense and overwhelming. Watch an episode of The West Wing with DH. I don't much like the show. So much of it seems based on the power plays, and machinations, and motivations, and subtext between characters...and most of that goes right over my head. For me, it's mostly reduced to only vaguely interesting dialogue. Hm. This is one of those times I really notice my social cluelessness.

Bed. Z. Fitfully, as both cats are also on (my side of) the bed, so I am overheated and largely without room to move.
  17. pygmalion

One question. How is it possible to not like The West Wing?
  18. pygmalion

I do get what you mean, though. The writer guy, Sorkin, is very, very fond of long and profound speeches over swelling orchestral music. Either you like 'em or you don't. :cool:
  19. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Well, that...and the fact that when the vast majority of subtext goes right over your head (and you know it's going over your head) then it kind of ceases to be interesting.
  20. pygmalion

That's part of the beauty and annoyance of the show. It seems to assume that you watched the series from episode one. If you didn't, you'll miss the little inside jokes, relationship stuff, etc. Kind of annoying. Or, if you're an uber fan (as I am) it gives you a smug feeling of superiority. :D