yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Not sure why, but I thought the weight gain had to do with swelling/inflammation, not necessarily increased eating. *shrug* You learn something every day. :cool:
  2. pygmalion

I took a good look at her blog (also ordered the book from amazon.) I also perused the 3day dot org site quite a bit. Hmm. Yeah. It's a complex issue. I found the juxtaposition of Sulik's blog entry about sexy breast cancer ads demeaning women and an entry on Komen's site which praised a fundraiser called Tutus for Tatas pretty compelling.

But (I think we've talked about this before.) From where I sit, having lost more family than I want to think about to various forms of cancer, doing something is better than doing nothing. I hear ya and think that the sociological impact of a Komen foundation is probably different than originally intended and possibly different than stated (maybe even deliberately so.) But, at the end of the day, if I raise the $2300 needed, a big old chunk of money will go into breast cancer research. (Still googling to find out how much, exactly. I forget the website, but I know that there's one out there which tracks exactly how much of an organization's money goes to admin costs versus the actual cause. I'll do my due diligence on that before I proceed.)

The whole conversation kinda reminds me of one I had years ago (with an activist psychology professor friend. Hmm. *wiggly eyebrows* lol) I had cut my hair and was sporting a really cute afro. So she said to me, "Hmm. P. It's really brave of you to make such a strong political statement with your hair." I looked at her like she'd lost her mind and said, "The only statement I'm making with my hair is that I'm too busy to straighten it." :eek::) A lot depends on your perspective, especially when it comes to things like efficacy of cancer screening.

Screening doesn't save lives. But catching cancer early can't be a bad thing. IMV, my Dad is alive because his brother died. My uncle, M, had cancer that went untreated for a long time, mainly because of fear. My Dad saw what his brother went through and made himself get screened regularly. So, when Dad got cancer, it was caught at the very, very early stages. Dad had radiation treatments; he refused chemo. Dad is alive and well, 16 years later. Maybe not cause and effect, but, in my mind, related.

I think that it's dangerous for any organization to imply that screenings do anything other than screen; it can lead to complacency. (Especially when you consider the open questions about potential side effects of mammograms.) But what good does the organization do? That's my question.

I haven't decided to do this (60 miles is a lot of walking,) but I will say that I checked out my work website. They match donations up to $10,000 per year per employee. If I had to raise funds, I could potentially get away with raising only $1,150. Not hard to do. :)
  3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

sunday; essentially a day of nothing more than ticking things off the "to-do" list and resting....
  4. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

3hrs and 4 min ( 5 sessions) with my smooth pro on sunday

very productive working on moving center to center and collecting
    pygmalion likes this.
  5. pygmalion

Yesterday: Day of awesomeness, when it comes to shopping.

To Staples, where I find the World's Best Pencils on sale at roughly half price. (Ticonderoga. The package actually says the world's best pencils, and it's right. :D )

To dollar store, just for chuckles, where I find that they have restocked felt "spring"decorations. I buy tulips. I can now be politically correct and, as an added bonus, will need no cardboard magnolias. Decoration harmony has been restored and all is right with the world.

To grocery store for wine. Cashier does not card me. A very good thing, since my card is in the car. Also find chick-o-stick, a fave candy from the "penny candy" aisle when I was little. Not a penny anynore, but what the heck. Nostalgia is always good.

To another grocery store, where I find the World's Cutest Stuffed Cow and buy it as a gift for Twin Sis. She's been collecting stuffed cows for a long time.

Also watch stupid TV. Other stuff that I'll probably remember later.
  6. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Up, exercise, breakfast, nap. Napping is good.

Up again, shower, out of shower to find house reeking of stinkbugs (DH vacuumed), head to Annapolis. DH and I head to the mall. I haven't been in a mall in ages (I generally avoid them like the plague.), and it is much fun. I fall in love with a wonderful pair of shoes but, alas, they aren't in the budget. Had they been more practical, I'd have more strongly considered them. But, aside from with jeans, when am I really going to wear black patent/white linen wing tips w/ red stitching? I mean, they're wonderful, but not quite practical.

http : //www . johnstonmurphy.com/product.aspx?c=632&sc=650&fv=1&pid=96089

Head to grandmother's/Aunt's house for birthday dinner for my uncle and brother (who isn't there). Generally have a good time, except for the fact that my younger cousins drive me up a wall. I thought it was just me, not having much tolerance for rambunctiousness and kids in general, but they drive my parents nuts as well: no manners, very bad table manners, and generally overly entitled, rude, and whiny.

Older of the two younger cousins is having her Bat Mitzvah soon. Turns out it will be here in the US, as opposed to in Israel, which had been the previous plan. Hmmm...have to start figuring out what to give her for a gift. I'm assuming money, but how much. Also, these girls have everything they could every want or need. I don't know that money will necessarily be much of a gift, at least not in the quantity we will be able to give...although I suppose more is always appreciated. But when diamond pendants, single- and double-strand pearl necklaces, and the money for a first car have already been given/received as gifts for birthdays and such, how much is a couple of hundred dollars actually going to be noticed/appreciated. Although I realize it's not about me. Suggestions, anyone?

Invite family for Easter. This goes over well. Grandmother gives me the guilt trip for not giving her any jam at Christmas. I didn't realize she was out. Will make amends.

Drive home in blessed silence. I love my family, but I also find them intense and overwhelming. Watch an episode of The West Wing with DH. I don't much like the show. So much of it seems based on the power plays, and machinations, and motivations, and subtext between characters...and most of that goes right over my head. For me, it's mostly reduced to only vaguely interesting dialogue. Hm. This is one of those times I really notice my social cluelessness.

Bed. Z. Fitfully, as both cats are also on (my side of) the bed, so I am overheated and largely without room to move.
  7. pygmalion

One question. How is it possible to not like The West Wing?
  8. pygmalion

I do get what you mean, though. The writer guy, Sorkin, is very, very fond of long and profound speeches over swelling orchestral music. Either you like 'em or you don't. :cool:
  9. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Well, that...and the fact that when the vast majority of subtext goes right over your head (and you know it's going over your head) then it kind of ceases to be interesting.
  10. pygmalion

That's part of the beauty and annoyance of the show. It seems to assume that you watched the series from episode one. If you didn't, you'll miss the little inside jokes, relationship stuff, etc. Kind of annoying. Or, if you're an uber fan (as I am) it gives you a smug feeling of superiority. :D
  11. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Sorkin writes the way he thinks smart people talk, not the way smart people actually speak. He's like the anti-Joss Whedon, who goes for "clever" instead of "erudite" and both get really tiresome after a while when their schtick gets old. (Also I am told another reason people don't like some of Sorkin's shows is because the minute he leaves as primary runner everything goes downhill. I don't know, I don't like any of them. Of course pay-cable shows have also ruined my standards for pretty much everything about a production, so...)

Last NIGHT's activities: rescue dogs from Kitty Olympics. Why do cats decide 2:30am is the appropriate time to run obstacle courses?
  12. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

That's not really weight gain, that's just water retention/puffiness. Weight is gained by adding mass (fat or muscle), the swelling goes away. I'll stop feeling puffy when the drug's out of my system, if I don't burn the calories off, that'll stick. At least I'm skating again (not today, boo, there's a hockey tournament, but tomorrow. And I can go Wednesday while doggies are at the vet getting their teeth cleaned. Poor doggies. They have such a rough week.)
  13. pygmalion

This. We're all smart people, here, but I don't see anybody coming up with profound pronouncements about the nature of politics in America today ... often. lol
  14. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

I do not like "The West Wing" for slightly different reasons. (I will admit I've only seen it maybe twice, and one of those was the post-9/11 episode, so this may be unfair.)

I feel like a lot of the liberal characters on that program are very smugly self-congratulatory and self-righteous about their values. I am quite liberal/lefty, and this is my worst nightmare of how I come off to other people. I really hope that is not how I am perceived by others when they ask what I am doing and I say "I'm going to rehearsal for 'Vagina Monologues.'"

Don't get me wrong: I am proud of what I do. But I don't think that makes me a special morally superior person. I just think it makes me a person trying to do the best she can.

In the post-9/11 episode, I felt like the tone was very preachy and self-congratulatory: "Look what good people we are. We don't hate all Arabs and Muslims just because they are Arabs and Muslims!" Don't get me wrong: it's clearly better to be self-congratulatory for having that attitude than to be beating Sikhs and other brown skinned people in the street...which happened. But I don't think you get a special gold star next to your name just for not being overtly racist.

Again, it could really be that the two or so episodes I've seen are in no way representative of the series as a whole. But I don't watch much tv anyway, not at this age. I watched more in my 20s. Now there is very little on television that seems to me more appealing than reading, surfing the web, spending time with my kid, dancing, working out, writing in my diary, or playing with my pets. When I have time to decompress, tv is not my go-to option.
  15. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

SUNDAY:
    -Launder placemats for entire upper elementary. (It was our turn.)
    -Grocery store.
    Etc.
    11:30--Watch half of "Quantum of Solace" over lunch with the family. (I have decided watching half of a movie at a time is fine.)

Workout. At my last workout, I ran a full hour at a 6.2 mph pace (i.e., 6.2 miles), so I decided to go for 6.3 mph. (Baby steps!) It felt pretty easy. Then, at around 1.85 miles, the treadmill dropped pace, VERY noticeably-then picked it up again-then dropped again, for no reason. Then I thought I smelled burning. Hit "STOP." Called Husband on the walkie talkie. (Yes, we have walkie talkies in our house as an intercom system. Don't judge.) He said "I'm not going to be able to smell anything; I'm sick." But he put his head near the machine and said he smelled it too. He unplugged it from the wall.
    So Nordictrack will be paying us a visit! It's under warranty, so I'm not overly concerned...but it did ruin my workout plans! (And there was a very bitter, cold wind blowing, so there was absolutely no way I was running outside. Going to the grocery store was bad enough!)

4--Grading.

6--WORK-RELATED DINNER with external review team. We went to O'Lordans, an Irish pub. I must say I think it was a good choice! (I picked it.)

9--Home. More grading, until 11 PM. Ugh.
  16. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I think there are moments of brilliance to West Wing, and I don't have a problem with it being smug, lol...that being said, I have a problem with most shows that have that sort of rapid fire rat a tat banter...as I prefer things to occur at a pace where I have an opportunity to be reflective during, not just after, the show.....andI appreciate that it was a show that didn't cater to the lowest common denominator in terms of writing and content so I am more than willing to overlook the flaws...my son has the entire set of every season
  17. pygmalion

The West Wing can be very preachy. The episode you're talking about, Isaac and Ishmael, is probably the worst I've seen, in that respect. *shrug* In the wake of September 11, a lot of people made poor judgments, IMO. The only really good memory I have of that time is Paul Simon singing The Boxer on SNL.

My take is that, overall, TWW was a good show that represented the political process in the US pretty well. There's a multi-part documentary on youtube. I forget the name of it. In it, lots of high power political people from both sides of the aisle talk about how accurate The West Wing was. It is what it is. Partisan politics aren't pretty all the time. And, no matter how honest or earnest I am, there are going to be people who see me as a preachy, bleeding heart, liberal.

That's about them. What I actually do is about me. *shrug* :cool:
    ChaChaMama likes this.
  18. raindance

raindance Active Member

I think you're looking for Charity Navigator. They have info and evaluations on all sorts of charities, so people can see where there money is going before they donate.

http://www.charitynavigator.org/
    pygmalion likes this.
  19. pygmalion

Thanks. That's it. Komen got four out of four stars. Roughly $350 million in. $30-ish million to admin costs. Roughly $30-ish million to fundraising costs. Not bad, IMHO.
  20. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

10% is a good margin in this industry