yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Yeah. I'd be more comfortable if the percentages to fundraising and admin weren't 9.8 and 7.6 percent each. But still. Not bad.
  2. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting that name, Charity Navigator. (I think I incorrectly told a class last week that it is called Charity Finder. Whoops. Will correct myself next time.)

I was also pleased to see that V-Day also got a 4 start rating, with scores of
    OVERALL: 68.95 out of 70.
    FINANCIAL: 68.52 out of 70.
    ACCOUNTABILITY AND TRANSPARENCY: 70.00 out of 70!

Program expenses: 85.2%
    Administrative expenses: 10.4%
    Fundraising expenses: 4.2%
  3. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

With huge NFPs, and I'm not saying Komen (which I don't like for a variety of reasons anyway) is perfect, you do have to remember when comparing overhead you're basically operating something like a Fortune 500, only you're not producing anything of value to sell and are relying on people giving you money to keep afloat. So you need to put a LOT towards hiring and keeping talent and resources without generating anything that brings in money to pay for it. So some of the charity "percentages" people will throw around and complaints about OMG it's a NON-PROFIT, how DARE anyone working for them make six figures, are a little disingenuous. Working for the good NFPs is a full-time job.
    pygmalion likes this.
  4. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

West Wing. Blah. I can't stand to even watch the promos. Has a more insufferable TV show ever been created? It's apparent from watching the thing that everyone from the producers down to the extras is utterly convinced that they are SAVING THE WORLD. Gag me.
    danceronice, ChaChaMama and pygmalion like this.
  5. pygmalion

What a hoot!
  6. pygmalion

Here's a link to part one of the documentary I was talking about, btw.

7. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

yes ....Greys Anatomy!!!
    pygmalion likes this.
  8. pygmalion

Haven't watched it in years. What's her face is so freaking annoying. Plus I can't get over the feeling that the writers are making us watch ushy stuff while using inaccurate medical jargon. No idea if this is true, but still. Blech. I'm supposed to believe that once in a lifetime, freak accidents occur every week? Amongst a svelt and beautiful cast that has enough time for hot, hot sex lives while they're going through residency? Seriously!?!?
    Mr 4 styles likes this.
  9. Mr 4 styles

my biggest pet peeve

at least ER was accruate
  10. pygmalion

And at least The Big Bang Theory hires actual geeks to write the show. Authenticity is important. :D
  11. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Yesterday: up, piddle a bit. Get started doing laundry and general straightening. How in hell is it possible for just the two of us to generate so much damn laundry?! Anyhow. Do laundry, put away laundry, unload dishwasher, load dishwasher, wash pans in sink, yada yada.

Get to work. Work from about 10am through 5:30. Straight. Yes, on a holiday. Because I've got stuff to get done, and my week will go much more smoothly if I get a couple of things off my desk. Revel in the fact that I'm throwing NPC under the bus, on a level. (On another level, he's technically an analyst on my study, he's gotten plenty of credit for being on this study, he hasn't don't jack up until now, he's the only one who was approved for the trainng trip...so it's perfectly reasonable to say that he has got to conduct the training for it.)

Exercise. Make mini-cheesecakes. (Testing recipe on guinea pig friends. DH is pondering a recital for his piano kids...I'm researching easy to make, easy to eat dessert thingies to serve after.)

Dinner: seared tuna steak (thanks to DH), steamed broccoli, mixed greens & spinach salad.

Watch the first half o The Bank Job before we get tired and head to bed. Z.
  12. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

One of my brothers worked on ER for the entire run of the show. He learned a LOT of medical jargon, and can talk the talk like a pro. Real physicians ask him where he studied.

And he made friends with George Clooney, which I consider far more important.
    samina, fascination and ChaChaMama like this.
  13. j_alexandra

Sunday:

Leisurely morning of pre-competition disorder
    To NY with father for lunch and theater
    Pick up out-of-town friend and head home
    Quick change into dance clothes, then go social dancing at Grand Re-Opening of local dance studio; have a good time social dancing for the first time in AGES, really, since TC came to visit ;-)
    BTW, Katusha in street clothes: that's just weird (she owns the studio where the social was held, and was there)
    Downton Abbey, with resulting annoyance
    Z
  14. j_alexandra

Yesterday:

Lesson; it's 5 days to competition, you want to give me new choreo NOW???
    Long conversation with Teach re: complex studio issues
    To HFKAM to pack and ship stuff
    Home; pick up out-of-town friend, lunch, and Retail Therapy, which includes getting my eye makeup done at Nordstrom
    Home; heat lists are up; woo hoo
    Eye makeup proves extremely difficult to remove, TDNWMH and my eyelids are most displeased; note to self: DON'T DO THAT AGAIN
    Z
  15. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

mon...teach a class, drive to indy, lessons...sleep the sleep of the just...9 blissful hours
  16. Mr 4 styles

great shoW!!!!!!!!!!!!
  17. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

another series my son knows by heart
    Mr 4 styles likes this.
  18. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Seriously...gah.
  19. Mr 4 styles

me too imma kid at heart
  20. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Felt like time was wasted, know it's partially finishing up the drugs and once they're out of my system I will feel much much better. Mildly annoyed by it being a holiday so can't go dog-shopping at the shelter the next county over.

Called studio because Indiana Challenge entries are screwed up (put in another round of Rhythm or give me a partial refund. Need to call again to make sure this gets done so I'm not having to cause problems AT the comp. I do not like driving for a single style, single round, single multi-dance.)