yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Me too, when I was about 5.

2. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I was recently on this, and I'm never taking it again. The side effects were too bad.

3. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

MONDAY--or the day that tried to kick my butt.

7:15-7:45--Grading one last paper!

Get ready and go to work.

9:10-10:10--ENG 1101. Give them a serious talking to re: showing up at draft conference with a draft. I make it clear "I'm not mad at you in any way, but if you show up with one paragraph, I'm not going to have much to say."
    Multi-pronged thesis essay.
    Ironically, one sample thesis was on the evils of caffeine. Oh, I beg to differ.

10:20-11:20--GREAT WORKS II. A dozen guests, so we've got a full house! Frankenstein discussion. Goes 100x better than the last one. Yay students!

11:30-12:30--Lunch break and start a letter of recommendation.

12:40-2:10--Three 1/2 hour Senior Sem individual appts...except first is no show. Keep working on letter of recommendation for a freshman. #2 was great. #3 needs a lot of work, and I pushed him hard, while still trying to be encouraging. This project needed some tough love.

2:15--Appt with a GWII student.
    2:45--Appt with an advisee who is currently taking both ASL (which she loves!) and Spanish (about which she is lukewarm). She wants to drop Spanish. We weigh pros and cons.

3:45--Academic Planning Committee meets with External Reviewers.

4:30-5:30--Me and the Assistant Director for First Year Seminars meet with External Reviewers. To say that there were some questions I had not anticipated would be fair. Wow. The guy is pushing me to think harder about vision. But even though I felt like a fool because I was thinking on my feet, I actually think this meeting will be enormously helpful to me moving forward. I think it had not occurred to me until this meeting that I have a real opportunity here to be a leader.

Home, exhausted. Catch up with my family. My sister visited during the day and I didn't get to see her at all. Apparently her dog and our dog had a good old time together, and she went out to lunch with my child and husband.
    Husband is cleared for surgery: no fever, blood pressure fine, etc.
    We watch the second half of "Quantum of Solace." I am a little concerned that I found the plot of this movie more confusing than many works of high modernism. Was I not paying enough attention or was this an odd flick?

Haul self back to campus.

7:30-10--Graduate class: The Modern World. We discussed Candide.

APPROXIMATE HOURS OF WORK TODAY: 11.0. Which given that it included Voltaire, Shelley, a proposal on Keats' reaction to the literary marketplace, a Marxist/deconstructionist proposal on an objectivist poet, and a meeting in which I was really pushed by two senior administrators from other schools, is quite enough, thank you very much. I slept well!

j_alexandra likes this.
  4. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

It's not just you.

ChaChaMama likes this.
  5. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Definitely not. I've watched it three or four times, and I'm still confused.

ChaChaMama likes this.
  6. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I recently caught an episode on reruns in which the guys are looking for someone to replace Sheldon as a team mate in some sort of a quiz/game show. (Because, of course, Sheldon's intense belief in his own mental superiority makes him think that he can be a team unto himself. )

One of the guys (Howard. maybe?) suggests getting, "that girl who played Blossom. I heard she has a PhD in ..." And of course, not long after that episode, who shows up in character as Sheldon's oh so peculiar love interest? That girl who played Blossom, Mayim Bialik, who really did get a PhD in something or the other that I forget.

That's the kind of joke only TBBT could get away with. Love it.

7. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

I LOVE the Big Bang Theory. LOVE IT...dare I say,,,I actually had a circle of friends just like that in the ol' high school gang. Good Lord. Sheldon Cooper and Amy Farrah Fowler...what a hoot.
    Went to California Open over the weekend.
    Shot a ton of photo/candids - which the Pro(s) never had before, as well as student dancers.
    And they had a blast shooting the pictures all over the hotel. "this could be more fun than actually being on the floor"
    Sidenote - we have some really playful fun long term married couples...that are absolutely great to hang out with.
    Develope prints, post pics, laugh alot Monday night as everyone reviewed their shots.
    Discuss the comp, upcoming social events, getting together with others on calendar.
    Go to Doctor office for results of bone scan. Ok, this is not good, he's never called me in before and I've had these things done for years.
    Come out of his office, a bit stunned. actually really stunned. "high risk of fracture"...man oh man...my brain says to self...
    Great, just great, now what, cause apparently the supplements are no longer keeping osteroporatic me in check.
    Doc discusses,,,all of my activity, exercise, the kind of exercise...he promises to review the best bone density therapy for me...but suggests I start Yoga and some other alternative things as well.
    Have long talk with myself in car.
    Head to double lesson with pro...things go well except for the crazy arm position in VWaltz-smooth...I almost wack him in the nose with elbow several times.
    Sweating bullets by the time the lessons are over...but it feels really good as the cold rain starts again.
    Dear Husband, planning Washington D.C. trip...for business...with dear son. He LOVES D.C. and all the museums and history and and and and...while I try to stay away from it.
    We chat about heading to Oregon and Powell Book Store in the Pearl District, possibly our Oregon daughter will let us take the kids out of school for the day and play hookey. We hope.
    DD in Texas askes if I can come for 3 weeks in March. uhhhhhhhh...huh? what? She's quite happy to be in school, I feel, completing her teacher certificate for Texas and becoming full time regular teacher as soon as she's done.
    We have long talk...I'm relieved,,,she now has time with her children instead of 60 hour work week with Target.
    Start shopping for a new smooth dress, cruising the internet....ahhhhhh...NOW this is nice!
    DH surprises me at end of evening,,,,he's paid for a months worth of lessons up front....wink!
    YES!

8. danceronice

Ooh, nothing like newly sharpened skates. I felt kind of awful skating, and my leg cramp is I suspect not a leg cramp but some kind of inflammation, so instead of skating today, time to rest it. Starve the dogs day as they had to go into the vet this morning, so no food after six, no water after eleven, and they were very puzzled why no treats before bed.

9. Jeff Jefferson

Jeff Jefferson New Member

I went to a party and danced the night away :p

10. ChaChaMama

TUESDAY:
    9-11--Office hours. Relatively peaceful. An advisee popped in and stayed for a long chat.

11:30-1--Academic Planning Committee. One issue before us brought out some more of the dirty laundry from one of the three most dysfunctional departments on campus. Without going into any specifics, that is some screwed up stuff. I know people have tenure and all, but does that really give a person full license to behave like a jerk? The powers that be were in the room and got to hear some of us opine that it should not.

1--Worked on conference paper.

2:35--Briefly home. Set timer for 10 minutes. Husband tries to talk to me and I'm like "I literally have TEN minutes. I need to be out the door when that timer goes off." We postpone talking until later. Pack a sandwich, fruit, cookies for dinner.

3--Picked up Child.
    3:12--Dropped off Child at house and drove immediately back to campus.
    3:26--Back in time!!!! It's a bird, it's a plane, it's Super Working Mom! (Ugh!)
    3:30--Debriefing meeting from External Reviewers.

5-8:30--Child at dance. I finished reading Will in the World.

9--Home. So tired. Catch up with husband. Put Child to bed.

Wanted to write in diary, but had almost no energy. Started reading new book, Roseanne Montillo's The Lady and Her Monsters.
    http://www.amazon.com/The-Lady-Her-Monsters-Frankensteins/dp/0062025813

11. Peaches

Today is mostly done, so...

Up, etc. Get to train station and realize its colder out than I thought. Bugger.

Work on stuff. Train NPC, who will be conducting training in lieu of me. He isn't happy. Tough. He is, technically, an analyst equal to me on this so it's time for him to pull his bloody weight.

All-hands meeting. Mostly I eventful, oddly. Director does talk about her support and encouragement of temporary duty assignments within the division. Immediately pigeon-hole acting boss and ask her about how I 1) get onto committees with leadership potential, and 2)how to get a detail. No more sitting back and doing what has been assigned; time to be a p.i.t.a. to get what I want. Sorry, boss. She is most supportive. I has gots me a plan!

Stuff. Don't remember what, other than calming programmer and commiserating about Stuff.

Home. Wine. Movie. Bed now. Sleep soon.

12. pygmalion

Reminds me of the movie, Working Girl. Have you seen it, P? Probably not, since you were knee high to a grass hopper when it came out. :D In that movie, Melanie Griffith's character is vindicated when her boss who always takes credit for her ideas suddenly has to defend/explain the stolen ideas to the big boss. If your NPC is going to get promoted by claiming 99% of the credit for the work on your project, then let him dig deep and do the training or fall flat on his face when he can't. His problem, not yours.

Plus, as an added bonus, you don't have to go to Cincy this time. :)

13. pygmalion

I should probably add that, if your NPC had actually been doing the work you were doing, he wouldn't need to be trained. If your bosses have a clue, they should be able to see that.

14. ChaChaMama

WEDNESDAY:
    8:20--Drop off.

9:10--ENG 1101. Debates on two topics for next set of papers:
    -Do the TSA's security procedures keep up safe without violating our rights?
    -Should talking/texting while driving be illegal in all fifty states?

10:20--GREAT WORKS II. Communist Manifesto.

Lunch break.

12:40-2:10--3 half-hour Senior Seminar appointments.

2:15--Great Works II student stops by with her essay in progress. I critique.

3--Pick up Child.

Some downtime. Yes, that's right: downtime! That has been sorely lacking the last couple days. I even manage to lie down for 10 minutes.

Also put out a FB call for help transporting Child to her activities next week due to Husband's surgery.

6:25--Leave a little early with Child for dance, as planning to get gas.
    Problem: the gas station I stop at has ALL PUMPS DOWN. And there is not another gas station on this side of the road. And the road I have to turn out to go to the studio is 10 miles with no gas stations (or businesses of any kind). Have to wait forever for the light to turn (we have complicated traffic lights which only let one direction go at a time making left and U-turns because the roads aren't at perfect right angles) to make a &%^$# U-Turn, head back the wrong way, and get gas.

Child and I are bickering a little and she says "I don't get it. Why is it important to you if I am on time to my dance lesson?" I totally lost it at this point. Way to be appreciative, kid! Fight escalates. I eventually propose we do NOT talk because we are both pushing each other's buttons too much.

7-8--Ballet.
    I calm down in car and read.

Drive home. Discuss went wrong on the drive to dance.

Home. Child bath and to bed.

I'm pretty beat, so even though I had some things I wanted to get down tonight, they get put off until the next day.

15. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

wed...tan, buy cat food, teach interval, have a sandwich, drive to Northwestern, eat lunch wit dtr, spend entire day shopping (in honor of her birthday)....I am exhausted (9hours of intensive physical exercise in three days and now trapsing around in the cold to shop...which I hate), but she is having a delightful time and she is my baby....drive her back to school....sit in rush hour traffic for 2 and 1/2 hours....home to feed pets and stare blankly at laptop....kiss dh when he gets home....and off to bed I go with a messy house, a messy car and a comp tomorrow

16. danceronice

Need to make final call about tanning...ran the dogs to the vet in the snow, dogs were goofily excited to be there ("Hi! We're here! Where's here? Are we having breakfast?"). Stopped at McDonald's for hot breakfast and coffee prepared by someone else, spilled coffee going to a table, had to apologize and ask for another cup (hate making messes at restaurants, even though they were nice about it). Trying to read "John Adams" again. Filled up the gas tank so I'm ready for Friday, using all my discount codes at the grocery store gas pump (for ever $50 you spend at the store, you get 5 cents off a gallon and can stack as many discounts as you want.) Decided not to go skate because the radio was nothing but iced-over bypass, rollovers on ramps, and general constant snow. Packed up small cat so he could get his second round of ear goop, back to the vet. Vet applied ear goop and showed all the teeth corgi had removed (she had terrible teeth). Got dogs back. Met Marshall Dillon the dog (the shelter called him Marshall, the owner's son calls him Dillon, the owner has a sense of humor I should be too young to appreciate but am not. I asked dog if have gun, will travel.) Paid almost as much for vet as for competition tomorrow. Seriously debating next time an animal needs something I take them up to my parents to TV Vet, who may be a TV star but who costs about half as much. Took dogs and cat home. Dogs spend evening being a bit groggy, but with very clean teeth. Feel like evil dog mommy because painkillers are clearly wearing off corgi (who had extractions) and there is nothing I can do about it.

17. raindance

raindance Active Member

Err, call the vet? You should be able to get pain meds you can give at home, she may need them after extractions. Particularly if you can tell she feels painful.

18. danceronice

They couldn't have done anything last night, so now I'm just seeing how she does. I'd rather not give anything I don't have to. Certainly not affecting her appetite (though of course Tucker going off her food would be more like a sign of the end times.)

19. Peaches

Yeah...about that...bosses have no clue.

I'm enough of a schmuck to actually care about the finished product, not just what I get credit for or not. So, gosh darnit!, regardless of who gets the credit (or doesn't), anything that goes out that I have a hand in will be The Very Best data I can possibly make it. Period. (Aside: No, I haven't seen working girl. I'll have to look that up on Netflix.)

Hm. Today.

Mostly boring. Wake up without actually waking up. Monster headache, for no reason. Time to get a new pillow. Mainline caffeine (DMD + coffee + coffee + DMD) and pound Advile. Ah...humanity!

Continue to prepare training and prep coworker for training. Data quality being paramount and all that...

Staff meeting. Discuss lots of stuff, which mostly boils down to: management is not providing [poo] as regards direction or leadership. Also, morale absolutely sucks right about now, and it's affecting absolutely everything. Go over B.S. Survey results (waste, fraud, and abuse, anyone?). People aren't happy. Well, no [poop]. I could have told you that.

Interesting question comes up, regarding recognition from management for having done a good job. I seriously debate speaking up, and decide against it. Acting manager has left the door open to discuss things privately...seriously mull that option. Still mulling.

Home. DH on a sales trip, so by myself. So lonely. And to think, I went years being alone like this every night with him working late. I don't know how I did it. (Actually, I kind of do. I stink at being by myself at first, but after about a week I get used to it and find my own groove.) Not particularly happy. Dinner=rum, now vodka. Hmmm...

Bed soon.

Happy at the fact that tomorrow I actually won't be working. First time in ages. And I don't have to work this weekend. Hallelujah! ("Describe a recent time when you didn't have enough work to do, and explain how you handled the situation" interview question. Answer: WT-bloody-F is that even like? Seriously? I want to try it, even for a day. Other answer: if you're that damn bored, take some bloody responsibility and find/make work for yourself to do. There is always room for improvement if you look.) Grumblecakes.

Generally an annoying, demoralizing, and pissed-off-Peaches-making kind of day...

20. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Tuesday:

Gyro!
    Lesson! take Out of Town Friend to lesson; Teach is inspired to be a silly hambone showoff, he loves an audience
    Home, change
    More Retail Therapy! I spend an absurd amount of money on non-ballroom clothing at Neiman-Marcus
    To winebar to have a glass with Blond German Friend, who's bartending, and also is a fashion designer; she vetoes my new purchases; one does not fit properly, which I feared, but she will copy it for me for the same price; the other, she informed me that I looked like a conservative Republican, and now I could never, ever wear; we spend the evening in the winebar quite happily, get food delivered from my favorite restaurant, dine sumptuously and casually at the same time (seriously, filet mignon au poivre with a cognac and caper sauce, sauteed spinach, *real* caesar salad, and ridiculously delish fries, color me sated)
    Home, z early