yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Yesterday: up, piddle a bit. Get started doing laundry and general straightening. How in hell is it possible for just the two of us to generate so much damn laundry?! Anyhow. Do laundry, put away laundry, unload dishwasher, load dishwasher, wash pans in sink, yada yada.

Get to work. Work from about 10am through 5:30. Straight. Yes, on a holiday. Because I've got stuff to get done, and my week will go much more smoothly if I get a couple of things off my desk. Revel in the fact that I'm throwing NPC under the bus, on a level. (On another level, he's technically an analyst on my study, he's gotten plenty of credit for being on this study, he hasn't don't jack up until now, he's the only one who was approved for the trainng trip...so it's perfectly reasonable to say that he has got to conduct the training for it.)

Exercise. Make mini-cheesecakes. (Testing recipe on guinea pig friends. DH is pondering a recital for his piano kids...I'm researching easy to make, easy to eat dessert thingies to serve after.)

Dinner: seared tuna steak (thanks to DH), steamed broccoli, mixed greens & spinach salad.

Watch the first half o The Bank Job before we get tired and head to bed. Z.

2. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

One of my brothers worked on ER for the entire run of the show. He learned a LOT of medical jargon, and can talk the talk like a pro. Real physicians ask him where he studied.

And he made friends with George Clooney, which I consider far more important.

samina, fascination and ChaChaMama like this.
  3. j_alexandra

Sunday:

Leisurely morning of pre-competition disorder
    To NY with father for lunch and theater
    Pick up out-of-town friend and head home
    Quick change into dance clothes, then go social dancing at Grand Re-Opening of local dance studio; have a good time social dancing for the first time in AGES, really, since TC came to visit ;-)
    BTW, Katusha in street clothes: that's just weird (she owns the studio where the social was held, and was there)
    Downton Abbey, with resulting annoyance
    Z

4. j_alexandra

Yesterday:

Lesson; it's 5 days to competition, you want to give me new choreo NOW???
    Long conversation with Teach re: complex studio issues
    To HFKAM to pack and ship stuff
    Home; pick up out-of-town friend, lunch, and Retail Therapy, which includes getting my eye makeup done at Nordstrom
    Home; heat lists are up; woo hoo
    Eye makeup proves extremely difficult to remove, TDNWMH and my eyelids are most displeased; note to self: DON'T DO THAT AGAIN
    Z

5. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

mon...teach a class, drive to indy, lessons...sleep the sleep of the just...9 blissful hours

6. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

great shoW!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

another series my son knows by heart

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  8. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Seriously...gah.

9. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

me too imma kid at heart

10. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Felt like time was wasted, know it's partially finishing up the drugs and once they're out of my system I will feel much much better. Mildly annoyed by it being a holiday so can't go dog-shopping at the shelter the next county over.

Called studio because Indiana Challenge entries are screwed up (put in another round of Rhythm or give me a partial refund. Need to call again to make sure this gets done so I'm not having to cause problems AT the comp. I do not like driving for a single style, single round, single multi-dance.)

11. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Me too, when I was about 5.

12. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I was recently on this, and I'm never taking it again. The side effects were too bad.

13. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

MONDAY--or the day that tried to kick my butt.

7:15-7:45--Grading one last paper!

Get ready and go to work.

9:10-10:10--ENG 1101. Give them a serious talking to re: showing up at draft conference with a draft. I make it clear "I'm not mad at you in any way, but if you show up with one paragraph, I'm not going to have much to say."
    Multi-pronged thesis essay.
    Ironically, one sample thesis was on the evils of caffeine. Oh, I beg to differ.

10:20-11:20--GREAT WORKS II. A dozen guests, so we've got a full house! Frankenstein discussion. Goes 100x better than the last one. Yay students!

11:30-12:30--Lunch break and start a letter of recommendation.

12:40-2:10--Three 1/2 hour Senior Sem individual appts...except first is no show. Keep working on letter of recommendation for a freshman. #2 was great. #3 needs a lot of work, and I pushed him hard, while still trying to be encouraging. This project needed some tough love.

2:15--Appt with a GWII student.
    2:45--Appt with an advisee who is currently taking both ASL (which she loves!) and Spanish (about which she is lukewarm). She wants to drop Spanish. We weigh pros and cons.

3:45--Academic Planning Committee meets with External Reviewers.

4:30-5:30--Me and the Assistant Director for First Year Seminars meet with External Reviewers. To say that there were some questions I had not anticipated would be fair. Wow. The guy is pushing me to think harder about vision. But even though I felt like a fool because I was thinking on my feet, I actually think this meeting will be enormously helpful to me moving forward. I think it had not occurred to me until this meeting that I have a real opportunity here to be a leader.

Home, exhausted. Catch up with my family. My sister visited during the day and I didn't get to see her at all. Apparently her dog and our dog had a good old time together, and she went out to lunch with my child and husband.
    Husband is cleared for surgery: no fever, blood pressure fine, etc.
    We watch the second half of "Quantum of Solace." I am a little concerned that I found the plot of this movie more confusing than many works of high modernism. Was I not paying enough attention or was this an odd flick?

Haul self back to campus.

7:30-10--Graduate class: The Modern World. We discussed Candide.

APPROXIMATE HOURS OF WORK TODAY: 11.0. Which given that it included Voltaire, Shelley, a proposal on Keats' reaction to the literary marketplace, a Marxist/deconstructionist proposal on an objectivist poet, and a meeting in which I was really pushed by two senior administrators from other schools, is quite enough, thank you very much. I slept well!

j_alexandra likes this.
  14. danceronice

It's not just you.

ChaChaMama likes this.
  15. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Definitely not. I've watched it three or four times, and I'm still confused.

ChaChaMama likes this.
  16. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I recently caught an episode on reruns in which the guys are looking for someone to replace Sheldon as a team mate in some sort of a quiz/game show. (Because, of course, Sheldon's intense belief in his own mental superiority makes him think that he can be a team unto himself. )

One of the guys (Howard. maybe?) suggests getting, "that girl who played Blossom. I heard she has a PhD in ..." And of course, not long after that episode, who shows up in character as Sheldon's oh so peculiar love interest? That girl who played Blossom, Mayim Bialik, who really did get a PhD in something or the other that I forget.

That's the kind of joke only TBBT could get away with. Love it.

17. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

I LOVE the Big Bang Theory. LOVE IT...dare I say,,,I actually had a circle of friends just like that in the ol' high school gang. Good Lord. Sheldon Cooper and Amy Farrah Fowler...what a hoot.
    Went to California Open over the weekend.
    Shot a ton of photo/candids - which the Pro(s) never had before, as well as student dancers.
    And they had a blast shooting the pictures all over the hotel. "this could be more fun than actually being on the floor"
    Sidenote - we have some really playful fun long term married couples...that are absolutely great to hang out with.
    Develope prints, post pics, laugh alot Monday night as everyone reviewed their shots.
    Discuss the comp, upcoming social events, getting together with others on calendar.
    Go to Doctor office for results of bone scan. Ok, this is not good, he's never called me in before and I've had these things done for years.
    Come out of his office, a bit stunned. actually really stunned. "high risk of fracture"...man oh man...my brain says to self...
    Great, just great, now what, cause apparently the supplements are no longer keeping osteroporatic me in check.
    Doc discusses,,,all of my activity, exercise, the kind of exercise...he promises to review the best bone density therapy for me...but suggests I start Yoga and some other alternative things as well.
    Have long talk with myself in car.
    Head to double lesson with pro...things go well except for the crazy arm position in VWaltz-smooth...I almost wack him in the nose with elbow several times.
    Sweating bullets by the time the lessons are over...but it feels really good as the cold rain starts again.
    Dear Husband, planning Washington D.C. trip...for business...with dear son. He LOVES D.C. and all the museums and history and and and and...while I try to stay away from it.
    We chat about heading to Oregon and Powell Book Store in the Pearl District, possibly our Oregon daughter will let us take the kids out of school for the day and play hookey. We hope.
    DD in Texas askes if I can come for 3 weeks in March. uhhhhhhhh...huh? what? She's quite happy to be in school, I feel, completing her teacher certificate for Texas and becoming full time regular teacher as soon as she's done.
    We have long talk...I'm relieved,,,she now has time with her children instead of 60 hour work week with Target.
    Start shopping for a new smooth dress, cruising the internet....ahhhhhh...NOW this is nice!
    DH surprises me at end of evening,,,,he's paid for a months worth of lessons up front....wink!
    YES!

18. danceronice

Ooh, nothing like newly sharpened skates. I felt kind of awful skating, and my leg cramp is I suspect not a leg cramp but some kind of inflammation, so instead of skating today, time to rest it. Starve the dogs day as they had to go into the vet this morning, so no food after six, no water after eleven, and they were very puzzled why no treats before bed.

19. Jeff Jefferson

Jeff Jefferson New Member

I went to a party and danced the night away :p

20. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

TUESDAY:
    9-11--Office hours. Relatively peaceful. An advisee popped in and stayed for a long chat.

11:30-1--Academic Planning Committee. One issue before us brought out some more of the dirty laundry from one of the three most dysfunctional departments on campus. Without going into any specifics, that is some screwed up stuff. I know people have tenure and all, but does that really give a person full license to behave like a jerk? The powers that be were in the room and got to hear some of us opine that it should not.

1--Worked on conference paper.

2:35--Briefly home. Set timer for 10 minutes. Husband tries to talk to me and I'm like "I literally have TEN minutes. I need to be out the door when that timer goes off." We postpone talking until later. Pack a sandwich, fruit, cookies for dinner.

3--Picked up Child.
    3:12--Dropped off Child at house and drove immediately back to campus.
    3:26--Back in time!!!! It's a bird, it's a plane, it's Super Working Mom! (Ugh!)
    3:30--Debriefing meeting from External Reviewers.

5-8:30--Child at dance. I finished reading Will in the World.

9--Home. So tired. Catch up with husband. Put Child to bed.

Wanted to write in diary, but had almost no energy. Started reading new book, Roseanne Montillo's The Lady and Her Monsters.
    http://www.amazon.com/The-Lady-Her-Monsters-Frankensteins/dp/0062025813