yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Today is mostly done, so...

Up, etc. Get to train station and realize its colder out than I thought. Bugger.

Work on stuff. Train NPC, who will be conducting training in lieu of me. He isn't happy. Tough. He is, technically, an analyst equal to me on this so it's time for him to pull his bloody weight.

All-hands meeting. Mostly I eventful, oddly. Director does talk about her support and encouragement of temporary duty assignments within the division. Immediately pigeon-hole acting boss and ask her about how I 1) get onto committees with leadership potential, and 2)how to get a detail. No more sitting back and doing what has been assigned; time to be a p.i.t.a. to get what I want. Sorry, boss. She is most supportive. I has gots me a plan!

Stuff. Don't remember what, other than calming programmer and commiserating about Stuff.

Home. Wine. Movie. Bed now. Sleep soon.

2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Reminds me of the movie, Working Girl. Have you seen it, P? Probably not, since you were knee high to a grass hopper when it came out. :D In that movie, Melanie Griffith's character is vindicated when her boss who always takes credit for her ideas suddenly has to defend/explain the stolen ideas to the big boss. If your NPC is going to get promoted by claiming 99% of the credit for the work on your project, then let him dig deep and do the training or fall flat on his face when he can't. His problem, not yours.

Plus, as an added bonus, you don't have to go to Cincy this time. :)

3. pygmalion

I should probably add that, if your NPC had actually been doing the work you were doing, he wouldn't need to be trained. If your bosses have a clue, they should be able to see that.

4. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

WEDNESDAY:
    8:20--Drop off.

9:10--ENG 1101. Debates on two topics for next set of papers:
    -Do the TSA's security procedures keep up safe without violating our rights?
    -Should talking/texting while driving be illegal in all fifty states?

10:20--GREAT WORKS II. Communist Manifesto.

Lunch break.

12:40-2:10--3 half-hour Senior Seminar appointments.

2:15--Great Works II student stops by with her essay in progress. I critique.

3--Pick up Child.

Some downtime. Yes, that's right: downtime! That has been sorely lacking the last couple days. I even manage to lie down for 10 minutes.

Also put out a FB call for help transporting Child to her activities next week due to Husband's surgery.

6:25--Leave a little early with Child for dance, as planning to get gas.
    Problem: the gas station I stop at has ALL PUMPS DOWN. And there is not another gas station on this side of the road. And the road I have to turn out to go to the studio is 10 miles with no gas stations (or businesses of any kind). Have to wait forever for the light to turn (we have complicated traffic lights which only let one direction go at a time making left and U-turns because the roads aren't at perfect right angles) to make a &%^$# U-Turn, head back the wrong way, and get gas.

Child and I are bickering a little and she says "I don't get it. Why is it important to you if I am on time to my dance lesson?" I totally lost it at this point. Way to be appreciative, kid! Fight escalates. I eventually propose we do NOT talk because we are both pushing each other's buttons too much.

7-8--Ballet.
    I calm down in car and read.

Drive home. Discuss went wrong on the drive to dance.

Home. Child bath and to bed.

I'm pretty beat, so even though I had some things I wanted to get down tonight, they get put off until the next day.

5. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

wed...tan, buy cat food, teach interval, have a sandwich, drive to Northwestern, eat lunch wit dtr, spend entire day shopping (in honor of her birthday)....I am exhausted (9hours of intensive physical exercise in three days and now trapsing around in the cold to shop...which I hate), but she is having a delightful time and she is my baby....drive her back to school....sit in rush hour traffic for 2 and 1/2 hours....home to feed pets and stare blankly at laptop....kiss dh when he gets home....and off to bed I go with a messy house, a messy car and a comp tomorrow

6. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Need to make final call about tanning...ran the dogs to the vet in the snow, dogs were goofily excited to be there ("Hi! We're here! Where's here? Are we having breakfast?"). Stopped at McDonald's for hot breakfast and coffee prepared by someone else, spilled coffee going to a table, had to apologize and ask for another cup (hate making messes at restaurants, even though they were nice about it). Trying to read "John Adams" again. Filled up the gas tank so I'm ready for Friday, using all my discount codes at the grocery store gas pump (for ever $50 you spend at the store, you get 5 cents off a gallon and can stack as many discounts as you want.) Decided not to go skate because the radio was nothing but iced-over bypass, rollovers on ramps, and general constant snow. Packed up small cat so he could get his second round of ear goop, back to the vet. Vet applied ear goop and showed all the teeth corgi had removed (she had terrible teeth). Got dogs back. Met Marshall Dillon the dog (the shelter called him Marshall, the owner's son calls him Dillon, the owner has a sense of humor I should be too young to appreciate but am not. I asked dog if have gun, will travel.) Paid almost as much for vet as for competition tomorrow. Seriously debating next time an animal needs something I take them up to my parents to TV Vet, who may be a TV star but who costs about half as much. Took dogs and cat home. Dogs spend evening being a bit groggy, but with very clean teeth. Feel like evil dog mommy because painkillers are clearly wearing off corgi (who had extractions) and there is nothing I can do about it.

7. raindance

raindance Well-Known Member

Err, call the vet? You should be able to get pain meds you can give at home, she may need them after extractions. Particularly if you can tell she feels painful.

8. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

They couldn't have done anything last night, so now I'm just seeing how she does. I'd rather not give anything I don't have to. Certainly not affecting her appetite (though of course Tucker going off her food would be more like a sign of the end times.)

9. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Yeah...about that...bosses have no clue.

I'm enough of a schmuck to actually care about the finished product, not just what I get credit for or not. So, gosh darnit!, regardless of who gets the credit (or doesn't), anything that goes out that I have a hand in will be The Very Best data I can possibly make it. Period. (Aside: No, I haven't seen working girl. I'll have to look that up on Netflix.)

Hm. Today.

Mostly boring. Wake up without actually waking up. Monster headache, for no reason. Time to get a new pillow. Mainline caffeine (DMD + coffee + coffee + DMD) and pound Advile. Ah...humanity!

Continue to prepare training and prep coworker for training. Data quality being paramount and all that...

Staff meeting. Discuss lots of stuff, which mostly boils down to: management is not providing [poo] as regards direction or leadership. Also, morale absolutely sucks right about now, and it's affecting absolutely everything. Go over B.S. Survey results (waste, fraud, and abuse, anyone?). People aren't happy. Well, no [poop]. I could have told you that.

Interesting question comes up, regarding recognition from management for having done a good job. I seriously debate speaking up, and decide against it. Acting manager has left the door open to discuss things privately...seriously mull that option. Still mulling.

Home. DH on a sales trip, so by myself. So lonely. And to think, I went years being alone like this every night with him working late. I don't know how I did it. (Actually, I kind of do. I stink at being by myself at first, but after about a week I get used to it and find my own groove.) Not particularly happy. Dinner=rum, now vodka. Hmmm...

Bed soon.

Happy at the fact that tomorrow I actually won't be working. First time in ages. And I don't have to work this weekend. Hallelujah! ("Describe a recent time when you didn't have enough work to do, and explain how you handled the situation" interview question. Answer: WT-bloody-F is that even like? Seriously? I want to try it, even for a day. Other answer: if you're that damn bored, take some bloody responsibility and find/make work for yourself to do. There is always room for improvement if you look.) Grumblecakes.

Generally an annoying, demoralizing, and pissed-off-Peaches-making kind of day...

10. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Tuesday:

Gyro!
    Lesson! take Out of Town Friend to lesson; Teach is inspired to be a silly hambone showoff, he loves an audience
    Home, change
    More Retail Therapy! I spend an absurd amount of money on non-ballroom clothing at Neiman-Marcus
    To winebar to have a glass with Blond German Friend, who's bartending, and also is a fashion designer; she vetoes my new purchases; one does not fit properly, which I feared, but she will copy it for me for the same price; the other, she informed me that I looked like a conservative Republican, and now I could never, ever wear; we spend the evening in the winebar quite happily, get food delivered from my favorite restaurant, dine sumptuously and casually at the same time (seriously, filet mignon au poivre with a cognac and caper sauce, sauteed spinach, *real* caesar salad, and ridiculously delish fries, color me sated)
    Home, z early

11. j_alexandra

Yesterday:

Wake 2:30 and give up trying to go back to sleep at 3:30 b/c have to leave for airport at 5
    Leave for airport at 5
    Home by 6:30; back asleep by 6:40, thankfully
    Lesson! two lessons before competition, and we're still having fun? wotthe?
    Pack and ship stuff
    To theater for a matinee; play is dreadful; we get out right at rush hour, so we opt for dinner in teh city instead of sitting in traffic
    Home; read, computer time, Z

12. j_alexandra

Might as well do today b/c by my standards it might as well be yesterday, if that makes any sense

Laundry laundry laundry
    Rolfer, one of the most transcendent Rolfing sessions ever
    Lesson! And ridiculous fun is had by all, which shocks me deeply, as we spend the whole freakin' lesson doing Viennese Waltz and Peabody, which means JA is, basically, running for a LONG time, pant, pant, gasp, sweat
    To home of Blond German Friend to pick up an evening gown she hemmed for me and make plans for copying of expensive, ill-fitting dress
    To supermarket
    To local Italian resto, where Ex and his nephew are having lunch, and have invited me; have a bowl of minestrone, the Ex pays! Shocked!
    Home; eat more soup, I am famished after that intense lesson, which means...
    Nap! Have to peel self off the bed when I wake, as most of my muscles would prefer that I stay in bed
    Eat more; must stop this, but not before competition
    Theater! <headwall> Bad Theater! Bad! No cookie!
    Home, phone calls, DF, and soon: Z

13. pygmalion

This is how the bad guys win. The good guys have too much integrity to let them fail. At the end of the day, they get promoted and you get integrity. From a philosophical/moral perspective, it feels good, but it sure doesn't do much for career mobility. *sigh*

And about Working Girl, I didn't say it was a GOOD movie, just that it reminded me of your situation. It's a very 80s movie -- women inexplicably running around in giant shoulder-padded business suits with hose and running shoes. Not to mention incredibly giant, fluffy hair. And to say that Melanie Griffiths has an annoying voice is quite an understatement. And, to top it all off, I already told you the climax of the movie.

But what the heck, Netflix is "free" once you've paid for it. So why not? *grin*

14. pygmalion

Last couple of days. More terrible, horrible, very bad days. Seriously. Something Must Be Done about the black cloud over my head.

Work: Realization: I took what? Two? days off and returned to a work situation so chaotic that I've been exhausted ever since, even though I'd spent the better part of a week warning everybody I'd be out and covering the bases as best I could. I'm not talking tired. I mean so exhausted that I haven't been able to get my head off the pillow, two days in a row. To me, this is a sign of two things. One: poor management. If my manager was doing his job properly, no one person would be carrying so much of the load. Two: I have to do something. Time to make a plan.

DS: Not talking to his father again. No particular reason. He says he's "thinking" about things. I have no idea what that means. I feel so sorry for my baby. He'll never have any idea of what it is to have a normal relationship with a Dad, like the one I've always taken for granted. This is so fundamentally wrong and unfair, but there's not a damn thing I can do about it. This makes me weep, sometimes.

Also have ANOTHER come to Jesus conversation, when DS mentions that he probably failed a terms quiz that he "didn't know about.' What the heck?!? What do you mean, you didn't know? You go to class every day. You have a calendar, a planner, and a Mom who harasses you ever day?!? Not to mention that it's perfectly okay to study, whether you know about a quiz or not!!! I manage to avoid going ballistic, and we make a plan that involves my copying his classes calendars/agendas/syllabi, so that I can target my harassment. Works for me. May or may not work for him, but what the hell. I'll feel like I'm doing something. (To DS's credit, though, I have to say that he told me the truth about the quiz, even though he knew I'd go ballistic. Brave and honest. That's my boy.)

After this lovely conversation I need to decompress, so I queue up a medley of old school tunes, drink much red wine, and dance around randomly. Much fun. Average White Band. Bobby Caldwell. I'm a sucker for blue eyed soul. Throw in some Hall and Oates, Simply Red and Paul Young, just for kicks. I sing along and realize that I can now sing tenor. Yay for getting old. I used to sing first soprano and am now firmly alto and can *in a pinch* sing tenor. TDNWMH, but I suppose I should be grateful that I can still sing with near perfect pitch. I sound like Lou Rawls, but at least I'm in tune. *grin*

Yesterday: My witchy, witchy mood spills all over the place. Some friends at work borrow my buffet server for a birthday party. (Yes. Just in case you're counting, this is three parties in two weeks. Overkill, by any measure. But I digress.) So I lend it, of course, but absolutely refuse to clean up after. [Poo!!] This is not my party. I think it's extremely poor timing and even worse judgment to have a party every three or four days. It's expensive, and it's a lot of work. Besides. Just because they're my crock pots doesn't mean I have to clean them. I gave them to you clean. I expect them back clean. Never mind that I've always cleaned them before. (A sucker move, but still.) This time, the crock pots can rot before I'll clean them. This is how foul my mood is.

As DS says, this won't end well.

Other stuff, but the more I type, the grumpier I get. So I'll call it a day. *sigh*

15. pygmalion

Oh yeah, and I left out my current pet project: counting DF posts. Haven't done this in years, not since the early days, when I spent a lot of time "priming the pump" to get conversations going around here.

That aside, though, I am staring in the eyeball of 50,000 posts and can't seem to get there. It's been weeks. Good quality posting material is so comparatively hard to come by, these days. I usually appreciate the fact that the tenor of the conversation here is much ... higher? better? than it used to be, back in day, but, right about now, I just want seventy more posts.

16. samina

samina Well-Known Member

I love Working Girl. One of my fave feel-good chick-flicks of all-time. :)

ChaChaMama likes this.
  17. pygmalion

I feel ya. It is a feel good chick flick. I was making a distinction between Oscar material good and enjoyable good. Two different things. :cool:

ChaChaMama likes this.
  18. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Laughed at morning news, reporting that YES, in fact, it is now proven that women do talk more than men.
    That FDOX 30? has been found in the ladies,,,and this predisposes them to talking more.....YA THINK!!! lol.
    Went to my third Yoga session...I'm learning to like it...
    Running around with DH. Head out for circuit training,,,,my trainer...I love him,,,but he's a nightmare when he says "60 reps"...grouse.
    Massage - wonderful!
    View the snow levels....prepare ski equipment...
    DH and I head over to dance studio...to help Pro figure out why "heat" is not working if at all.
    Check out studio AC/HVAC controls....inform Pro to call landlord...and say "xyz"...
    DH suggests "dinner" across the street from studio...YES!!!
    Steak, veges, and shrimp...way good.
    Home and shared TV viewing of Big Bang Theory...general chit chat of upcoming trips. Color me happy.

19. ChaChaMama

@samina, pygmalion, and peaches--I also like Working Girl, and have even shown it to classes. There is one particularly hilarious line in it that I won't blow before Peaches gets a chance to see it, but it has to do with Madonna.
    (If I'm going into an all-out analysis of the movie, though, I do have some political question marks about the implication that one of the main things keeping women from advancing in the workforce is Queen Bee women. "Women beware women." Not the Old Boys' Network. Not double standards. Not systematic forces that might tend to hurt women. It's other women.

RE: systematic forces. Take the 7 year tenure clock in my field, which on the surface is a reasonably female-friendly field. That means that if you get your PhD and then start the tenure track right away, your prime childbearing years will coincide with those years, so you have to choose: maximize productivity or have a child? Now of course, not everyone wants children...but I have never personally met an academic woman who has more than 2, with 0 or 1 being normative. 50% of academic women have no kids. I know several academic men who have 3 or 4 kids, so it's not just that scholarly sorts don't like kid noise.)

And that's probably way too analytical given that this is mostly a fun movie. But I gotta be me.

20. ChaChaMama

THURSDAY:
    Packed, showered, did last minute-y pre-trip stuff.

Panicked as I was at work doing last minute-y stuff there: where the heck is the book I was planning to read on the plane?!? Omg, what am I going to do? (The degree of panic here is somewhat comical in retrospect, as I am well aware there are other books in the universe. I just really wanted to read this one to enhance my graduate class the Monday I get back.)

Race back to house. Find book! "Crisis" averted! (I had called home and asked Husband to look for it, but this is not exactly playing to his strong suit, shall we say. Ask him to fix my computer and he will do amazing genius things. Find an approximately 8" x 6" x 2" object that was pretty much guaranteed to be in one of the four most logical places for it to be? Not so much.)

To airport! Other than almost getting clipped head on by a snow plow that wasn't 100% in his lane, the drive was uneventful. Security check-in line was short and they weren't even using the millimeter wave body scanner thing!
    Get asked to fill out exceptionally lengthy questionnaire about BWI...but I sort of like questionnaires, so I'm okay with it.

12:35--TO LOUISVILLE! Sit with an aspiring writer and an engineer. The engineer is fascinated by the two of us and he says he hears the "deep joy" we get talking about books we love. He does not read for pleasure, and we have a fairly philosophical conversation about what makes a book great, mainstream novels vs. ones for a more elite audience, why writers choose to write the stories they write, etc. This may be one of the best convos I've had about fundamental questions in awhile, and it was with a couple random strangers on a plane! (And I normally do not necessarily talk to the people sitting next to me. The writer had pulled our George Sanders Tenth of December, which is the kind of book a professor would read, and I thought she might be headed to the same conference, so I asked.)

2:30ish--De-plane, get luggage, figure out ground transport situation.

3:15ish--Arrive at hotel. Next shuttle to U. of Louisville is at 4 PM, so I will go to room and unpack.

4--To campus. Pick up reg packet and get badge.

5--KEYNOTE: Michael Berube, "Cognitive Disability and Narrative Self-Reflexivity."

Back to hotel as it is raining/hailing. Have a pb sandwich, orange, and cookies in my room. (I try to come prepared.)
    Read.
    Talk to family.
    Grade papers.

This is a lovely hotel and they gave me a nice big room, but I am not as warm as I would like to be. My feet are freezing. I miss my electric blanket. Shiver my way to sleep.