yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Yesterday:

Wake 2:30 and give up trying to go back to sleep at 3:30 b/c have to leave for airport at 5
    Leave for airport at 5
    Home by 6:30; back asleep by 6:40, thankfully
    Lesson! two lessons before competition, and we're still having fun? wotthe?
    Pack and ship stuff
    To theater for a matinee; play is dreadful; we get out right at rush hour, so we opt for dinner in teh city instead of sitting in traffic
    Home; read, computer time, Z

2. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Might as well do today b/c by my standards it might as well be yesterday, if that makes any sense

Laundry laundry laundry
    Rolfer, one of the most transcendent Rolfing sessions ever
    Lesson! And ridiculous fun is had by all, which shocks me deeply, as we spend the whole freakin' lesson doing Viennese Waltz and Peabody, which means JA is, basically, running for a LONG time, pant, pant, gasp, sweat
    To home of Blond German Friend to pick up an evening gown she hemmed for me and make plans for copying of expensive, ill-fitting dress
    To supermarket
    To local Italian resto, where Ex and his nephew are having lunch, and have invited me; have a bowl of minestrone, the Ex pays! Shocked!
    Home; eat more soup, I am famished after that intense lesson, which means...
    Nap! Have to peel self off the bed when I wake, as most of my muscles would prefer that I stay in bed
    Eat more; must stop this, but not before competition
    Theater! <headwall> Bad Theater! Bad! No cookie!
    Home, phone calls, DF, and soon: Z

3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

This is how the bad guys win. The good guys have too much integrity to let them fail. At the end of the day, they get promoted and you get integrity. From a philosophical/moral perspective, it feels good, but it sure doesn't do much for career mobility. *sigh*

And about Working Girl, I didn't say it was a GOOD movie, just that it reminded me of your situation. It's a very 80s movie -- women inexplicably running around in giant shoulder-padded business suits with hose and running shoes. Not to mention incredibly giant, fluffy hair. And to say that Melanie Griffiths has an annoying voice is quite an understatement. And, to top it all off, I already told you the climax of the movie.

But what the heck, Netflix is "free" once you've paid for it. So why not? *grin*

4. pygmalion

Last couple of days. More terrible, horrible, very bad days. Seriously. Something Must Be Done about the black cloud over my head.

Work: Realization: I took what? Two? days off and returned to a work situation so chaotic that I've been exhausted ever since, even though I'd spent the better part of a week warning everybody I'd be out and covering the bases as best I could. I'm not talking tired. I mean so exhausted that I haven't been able to get my head off the pillow, two days in a row. To me, this is a sign of two things. One: poor management. If my manager was doing his job properly, no one person would be carrying so much of the load. Two: I have to do something. Time to make a plan.

DS: Not talking to his father again. No particular reason. He says he's "thinking" about things. I have no idea what that means. I feel so sorry for my baby. He'll never have any idea of what it is to have a normal relationship with a Dad, like the one I've always taken for granted. This is so fundamentally wrong and unfair, but there's not a damn thing I can do about it. This makes me weep, sometimes.

Also have ANOTHER come to Jesus conversation, when DS mentions that he probably failed a terms quiz that he "didn't know about.' What the heck?!? What do you mean, you didn't know? You go to class every day. You have a calendar, a planner, and a Mom who harasses you ever day?!? Not to mention that it's perfectly okay to study, whether you know about a quiz or not!!! I manage to avoid going ballistic, and we make a plan that involves my copying his classes calendars/agendas/syllabi, so that I can target my harassment. Works for me. May or may not work for him, but what the hell. I'll feel like I'm doing something. (To DS's credit, though, I have to say that he told me the truth about the quiz, even though he knew I'd go ballistic. Brave and honest. That's my boy.)

After this lovely conversation I need to decompress, so I queue up a medley of old school tunes, drink much red wine, and dance around randomly. Much fun. Average White Band. Bobby Caldwell. I'm a sucker for blue eyed soul. Throw in some Hall and Oates, Simply Red and Paul Young, just for kicks. I sing along and realize that I can now sing tenor. Yay for getting old. I used to sing first soprano and am now firmly alto and can *in a pinch* sing tenor. TDNWMH, but I suppose I should be grateful that I can still sing with near perfect pitch. I sound like Lou Rawls, but at least I'm in tune. *grin*

Yesterday: My witchy, witchy mood spills all over the place. Some friends at work borrow my buffet server for a birthday party. (Yes. Just in case you're counting, this is three parties in two weeks. Overkill, by any measure. But I digress.) So I lend it, of course, but absolutely refuse to clean up after. [Poo!!] This is not my party. I think it's extremely poor timing and even worse judgment to have a party every three or four days. It's expensive, and it's a lot of work. Besides. Just because they're my crock pots doesn't mean I have to clean them. I gave them to you clean. I expect them back clean. Never mind that I've always cleaned them before. (A sucker move, but still.) This time, the crock pots can rot before I'll clean them. This is how foul my mood is.

As DS says, this won't end well.

Other stuff, but the more I type, the grumpier I get. So I'll call it a day. *sigh*

5. pygmalion

Oh yeah, and I left out my current pet project: counting DF posts. Haven't done this in years, not since the early days, when I spent a lot of time "priming the pump" to get conversations going around here.

That aside, though, I am staring in the eyeball of 50,000 posts and can't seem to get there. It's been weeks. Good quality posting material is so comparatively hard to come by, these days. I usually appreciate the fact that the tenor of the conversation here is much ... higher? better? than it used to be, back in day, but, right about now, I just want seventy more posts.

6. samina

samina Well-Known Member

I love Working Girl. One of my fave feel-good chick-flicks of all-time. :)

ChaChaMama likes this.
  7. pygmalion

I feel ya. It is a feel good chick flick. I was making a distinction between Oscar material good and enjoyable good. Two different things. :cool:

ChaChaMama likes this.
  8. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Laughed at morning news, reporting that YES, in fact, it is now proven that women do talk more than men.
    That FDOX 30? has been found in the ladies,,,and this predisposes them to talking more.....YA THINK!!! lol.
    Went to my third Yoga session...I'm learning to like it...
    Running around with DH. Head out for circuit training,,,,my trainer...I love him,,,but he's a nightmare when he says "60 reps"...grouse.
    Massage - wonderful!
    View the snow levels....prepare ski equipment...
    DH and I head over to dance studio...to help Pro figure out why "heat" is not working if at all.
    Check out studio AC/HVAC controls....inform Pro to call landlord...and say "xyz"...
    DH suggests "dinner" across the street from studio...YES!!!
    Steak, veges, and shrimp...way good.
    Home and shared TV viewing of Big Bang Theory...general chit chat of upcoming trips. Color me happy.

9. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

@samina, pygmalion, and peaches--I also like Working Girl, and have even shown it to classes. There is one particularly hilarious line in it that I won't blow before Peaches gets a chance to see it, but it has to do with Madonna.
    (If I'm going into an all-out analysis of the movie, though, I do have some political question marks about the implication that one of the main things keeping women from advancing in the workforce is Queen Bee women. "Women beware women." Not the Old Boys' Network. Not double standards. Not systematic forces that might tend to hurt women. It's other women.

RE: systematic forces. Take the 7 year tenure clock in my field, which on the surface is a reasonably female-friendly field. That means that if you get your PhD and then start the tenure track right away, your prime childbearing years will coincide with those years, so you have to choose: maximize productivity or have a child? Now of course, not everyone wants children...but I have never personally met an academic woman who has more than 2, with 0 or 1 being normative. 50% of academic women have no kids. I know several academic men who have 3 or 4 kids, so it's not just that scholarly sorts don't like kid noise.)

And that's probably way too analytical given that this is mostly a fun movie. But I gotta be me.

10. ChaChaMama

THURSDAY:
    Packed, showered, did last minute-y pre-trip stuff.

Panicked as I was at work doing last minute-y stuff there: where the heck is the book I was planning to read on the plane?!? Omg, what am I going to do? (The degree of panic here is somewhat comical in retrospect, as I am well aware there are other books in the universe. I just really wanted to read this one to enhance my graduate class the Monday I get back.)

Race back to house. Find book! "Crisis" averted! (I had called home and asked Husband to look for it, but this is not exactly playing to his strong suit, shall we say. Ask him to fix my computer and he will do amazing genius things. Find an approximately 8" x 6" x 2" object that was pretty much guaranteed to be in one of the four most logical places for it to be? Not so much.)

To airport! Other than almost getting clipped head on by a snow plow that wasn't 100% in his lane, the drive was uneventful. Security check-in line was short and they weren't even using the millimeter wave body scanner thing!
    Get asked to fill out exceptionally lengthy questionnaire about BWI...but I sort of like questionnaires, so I'm okay with it.

12:35--TO LOUISVILLE! Sit with an aspiring writer and an engineer. The engineer is fascinated by the two of us and he says he hears the "deep joy" we get talking about books we love. He does not read for pleasure, and we have a fairly philosophical conversation about what makes a book great, mainstream novels vs. ones for a more elite audience, why writers choose to write the stories they write, etc. This may be one of the best convos I've had about fundamental questions in awhile, and it was with a couple random strangers on a plane! (And I normally do not necessarily talk to the people sitting next to me. The writer had pulled our George Sanders Tenth of December, which is the kind of book a professor would read, and I thought she might be headed to the same conference, so I asked.)

2:30ish--De-plane, get luggage, figure out ground transport situation.

3:15ish--Arrive at hotel. Next shuttle to U. of Louisville is at 4 PM, so I will go to room and unpack.

4--To campus. Pick up reg packet and get badge.

5--KEYNOTE: Michael Berube, "Cognitive Disability and Narrative Self-Reflexivity."

Back to hotel as it is raining/hailing. Have a pb sandwich, orange, and cookies in my room. (I try to come prepared.)
    Read.
    Talk to family.
    Grade papers.

This is a lovely hotel and they gave me a nice big room, but I am not as warm as I would like to be. My feet are freezing. I miss my electric blanket. Shiver my way to sleep.

11. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

turn up the heat CCM i run it at 78 to 80!!!

12. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Dear god! 78-80? Wow. We keep the heat in our house around 60-63...and I'm one of those people who is always cold. Going to sleep when cold is a problem. Solution: cats, DH (who makes a fantastic space heater), microwaveable heating pad in bed with me, or taking a hot shower/hot bath right before bed. Works every time. I can't imagine keeping the heat at 78-80.

13. pygmalion

This. A certain character epitomized some of the very worst female stereotypes.

OTOH, even though it is a mostly fun movie, I remember certain issues it raised really resonating with me at the time. Now I really wish Peaches would just watch the movie, already, so I could say more. *grin*

ChaChaMama likes this.
  14. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Friday: Woke up to yet another "superstorm" (that wasn't as bad as it could have been) having to drive to Indiana Challenge. Managed to get there despite getting stuck in my own driveway. As usual got there way earlier than needed. Got hair done by teacher from the studio using a ridiculous amount of product and 35 bobby pins (I know how many because I just took them out.) Danced Rhythm. Did okay in Bronze I. Might as well not have bothered in Bronze II and scholarship (I danced just fine, for the third straight year the judges don't seem to care. I will not be bothering with this comp in future.) At least pro is sympathetic (we have such nice people at this studio.) Networking pays off as chatting with emcee about HIS comp provides information meaning I WILL be going if I have to bribe pro as there'll be a judge on the panel whose opinion I value over pretty much any other's. Despite it being much too informed about my dancing for my comfort. Drove home, roads much improved, was able to average more than 45 mph without winding up in ditch or having suicidal people tailgating me. Got McDonald's. Got home, ate. One dog begins throwing up. At least that seems to have stopped for now. Headache.

15. pygmalion

Yesterday: Decide to focus on what my "crazy for Jesus"** GF calls an attitude of gratitude. Maybe this will help my mood.

Great things that happened yesterday.

The guy coworker I mentioned a couple pages ago comes over to give me a hug and a goodbye gift: laughter. He says he feels he must repay me for all the cheap chocolate of mine he's eaten, over the years. So he tells me a joke that doesn't quite make the translation. (He's from a family of Southeast Asian transplants. He has told me harrowing stories, but he knows how to laugh.) I don't care that I don't get the joke. I laugh as if I understand. I am so touched by this man whom I don't know, but who values me enough to come over and say thank you. :)

A lady I work with calls me over and insists on giving me money to help with the cost of chocolate. She says, "You're a single Mom on your own and you do this for everyone all by yourself. I don't have much to spare, but, when I do, I want to help." I almost cry. This gives me joy.

I devise a genius plan to avoid the Hideous Crockpot Cleaning Dilemma. I send the crocks home with the girl from Valentines Day -- the young Mom. As it so happens, she's having a sleepover for her six-year-old tonight and is happy to feed the girls leftover queso, etc This gives me joy because she's a beautiful girl (physically but even more beautiful spiritually. I love this girl.) Plus helping this single Mom connects to the mission I've identified for myself. :)

Ask a coworker about Susan G. Komen. She's ten years breast cancer free. She agrees to think about Komen and tell me what she thinks. I value this. Theoretical is fine, but, at the end of the day, what does Komen do for men and women with breast cancer? (Also decide to call my guy friend, L, who is six years breast cancer free.)

Spend thirty minutes or more talking with CM (clueless manager) about what went wrong for me, this week, and working to devise a plan to get some of the burden shared. On the same note, serve him notice that, the last umpteen times I did training, I literally worked myself sick, trying to do a Peaches and do right by the newbs. I tell him that I cannot do it this time. He has to find a way to offload some stuff so that I can focus on training without sacrificing my personal life. He agrees. We'll meet on Monday.

Conversation with Mom re: beau and the fact that I don't think things are going to work out, long term. This hiatus feels too good to me. She says, "Well. You know, baby. You're never going to find a perfect man. But, if he's not the one, then, when you do go looking again, make sure your next man is young. The sex will be better." OMG. Hearing this come out of my 82 year old Mom's mouth makes me laugh until I cry. She is a pistol. And honest. *grin*

Pick DS up. He finagles me into buying Chinese food, on a not-planning--to-buy-Chinese-food week. (I knew I shoulda kept some of that queso. lol) It's $26.50 this time. The geek in me is tempted to start an Excel spreadsheet that charts time ordered versus price. My theory is that the price depends on who's answering the phone and taking the order.

I eat a small fraction of my fried rice. DS eats virtually everything else. Yikes. He's huge and apparently primed to get huge-er. This warms my heart.

Watch Bill Maher. It's a rerun featuring Julian Assange. I missed this when it first aired a couple weeks back. I get stuff to think about. This is the only reason I watch Bill Maher. He's incredibly arrogant, but he often gets great guests that make me think, which is what it's all about, if you ask me.

Drift off to sleep then awake with a start. I realize that my HS sweetheart died three years ago today. (Aside: I wonder how his Mom, wife and kids are. I don't know the wife and kids, but I do know the Mom. *sigh* ) Also realize that my grandmom, H, died almost nineteen years ago, a month after her eighty-second birthday. Mum turned eighty-two last week. Hmm. Maybe my black cloud is about grieving death in the past, not about seeing death in the future. The human psyche is a weird thing. At least, mine is. Of course, I'm weird in many other ways. I freely admit this. :D

Zzz deeply enough to dream, for a change.

** She had a major substance abuse problem for a long time and found sobriety through spiritual rebirth. And now she is freakishly upbeat all the time. As much as upbeat gets on my nerves, I admire her. So. Much.

16. ChaChaMama

FRIDAY:
    AM--In hotel room, grading 4 papers. Start with an A, but it went downhill from there, and I wind up giving the last person a heartbreaking C-. These are honors students. That is not going to go over well. I'm now very much NOT looking forward to handing these back. In fact, I'm questioning whether I should hand them back on Monday if I get through them all. My schedule on Monday is absolutely packed to the gills, my husband's surgery is Tuesday so I am going to be MIA from campus until Wednesday. Well, worry about that later.

Read some of _The Lady and Her Monsters_ to console myself.

Lunch, then 12:30 shuttle to campus.

1:30 panel--Beasts and Ghosts.

3:15 panel--Virginia Woolf.

--I think I'm going to have to have my thyroid function tested. I'm cold here too. I mean, it is February and it is cold, I get it--but I'm cold when I'm inside too. My Mom has to take thyroid pills and I'm afraid that's in my future.

Shuttle back to hotel.

Run on treadmill 5.5 miles. Finally feel comfortably warm! A TLC program is on the tv where four women compete about who has the best wedding.

Back to room.
    Talk to family!!! Everything going well.
    Have room service.

Read _The Lady and Her Monsters_.
    Write in diary.

Bed.

17. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Well, that's why you're always cold -- your heat is on 60! :p Ahem... I have our automation system set to put the heat between 68 and 70 in the evenings, depending on the outside temperature. Overnight temp in the winter is 66, and 65 during the day on weekdays when nobody is home.

18. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Put in a set-back thermostate...which will automatically control time/and temp...for your personal settings...as in.."away from house (work start and end)...and when I get home...the heat should be on.
    Let's say this,,,DH for 30 years is an AC/HVAC wholesaler....while I don't put my finger in the middle of his pie...I do learn a thing or two just by listening to what's going on. hmmm... laugh.
    Double coaching lessons yesterday...which turned out pretty well, learned alot and could apply it. Yippeeee.
    Call to step-dad...sigh.
    Walk 5 miles....and do Yoga....
    Eat freshly made Ginger Snaps which are my personal downfall...I love Ginger.
    Call off social dancing...feet are not having any part of me putting shoes back on.
    Start seriously looking at paint chips for various rooms in house...I love Spring,,,,it sooo inspires me.
    Pull out patterns for ballroom dress....ideas ideas ideas....
    DD sends pics of #1 grandson in baseball practice clothing,,,,quite,,,hysterical but we don't share the laughter with hiim,
    he's such a serious baseball player at the grand ol' age of 7!
    Gotta head to Austin to catch a few of his games we decide.

19. pygmalion

20. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Better do it with posts with content, or you're not going to be around long enough to post anything.

pygmalion likes this.