yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

precisely...if you do that you will be banned....plain and simple

2. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Wow. Not often a spammer is that blatant.

3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I thought he was funny, actually. In an irritating kind of way, of course.

4. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

I read a biography of the family which considered it likely that Mary probably had some sort of stroke after a bout of scarlet fever (or something else which causes a high fever)

I adore the Little House books. :)

5. pygmalion

I love them, too. :)

6. pygmalion

Today: Pretty easy day. Sleep late.

To Target, where I purchase a massive amount of Easter basket candy, under protest. I think 15 is too old for an Easter basket. DS thinks that you're never too old for an Easter basket. Ponder why "they" even make those little plastic, fillable, Easter eggs. You can't fit anything in them. Buy a couple dozen large eggs. Much more expensive, but worth every penny, IMHO. Also purchase graphic t-shirt that says Bazinga! That's right. The Big Bang Theory has made it to popular culture in a big way.If your buzz word is on a t-shirt at Target, you've made it to the big time. :)

Head to FB for the first time in six? seven? months (I am not a FB person.) to see if HS sweetheart's page has been updated. After he died, his wife and kids would log in as him and post messages on anniversaries, birthdays, Father's Day, etc. It was really quite creepy, in some ways, but I suppose it was a part of their grieving process. *shrug* In any case, no creepy posts this year. Maybe they're healing.

To B&N. Hang out for a while. Then stop by Walmart (Yes. I said Walmart) on my way home. Haven't been there in I can't remember how long. Feel slightly guilty, as I've decided not to do business with Walmart for a variety of reasons. But it was convenient and I was running late, so I decided to break my own rule, and was immediately punished. When I got to the check-out, the woman in line ahead of me had price adjustments for every single piece of produce in her cart. Seriously. At least fifteen separate items. So the fifteen minutes I was trying to save? Not so much. God has a funny sense of humor. That'll teach me. *grin*

Home, where DS asks me to help with his English homework by telling him the timeline of events in Romeo and Juliet. Are you kidding me?!? The last time I read this play was probably fourteen or fifteen years ago, and you expect me to remember what happened on Tuesday versus Thursday, inside R&J's world?!? Uh uh. Not gonna happen. Do your own homework, dude. lol DS and I do, however, have a nice conversation about fate and coincidence. I also try to make a case for the importance of communication (I think Friar Lawrence could have prevented the suicides,) but I get shot down. DS thinks the responsibility lies firmly with Capulet. Myeh. What do I know? We also talk about the idea of women as chattel. My feminist son cannot wrap his mind around this. He understands being obedient because a parent is right and/or it's the right thing to do. He doesn't understand being obedient just because you're a girl. (He also is not obedient to me or his father just because. I've gotta give reasons. I deliberately raised DS this way and rarely regret it. I don't want a group thinker who follows orders without reasoning them through.)

Also listen to A Way With Words on NPR. The word that stuck with me, this time, was anyways. The caller is irritated by the use of the word anyways, but the show hosts argue that it's widely accepted as a less formal form of anyway. Call me stuffy, but I'm not buying. Anyways is out. I don't care that they are linguists and I'm not. :D

DS is catching a cold and coughs all over me to prove it.

I manage to avoid doing any work at home for my upcoming training class. I know I will regret this at some point, but I honestly can't keep band-aiding the situation at my own expense to make things work. If I sacrifice myself to make things work, they'll never get fixed.

Other stuff I forgot.

7. pygmalion

@3w

My huh? wasn't aimed at you, but at a spam post immediately after yours that got deleted. :cool: :)

Also I have in the neighborhood of 110 pink boxtop thingies for you. Do you want me to send them now? Or should I wait until April-ish and send what I have then, to get them in for the big end-of-school-year push? DS and I accumulate about 8 - 10 a week, by my estimate, so we should be near 200 by the end of the school year.

Your call. :)

8. pygmalion

Yep. And it's not just the tenure track in academia. There are things about the structure of our society that arguably put women at a distinct disadvantage. There are, IMV, many, many examples. There's a book out there. The Price of Motherhood. I can't remember the author. It should be required reading for every woman who's choosing whether to have children, IMV. Not that women shouldn't have children, mind you. but it sure would be nice to have a clue, up front, what it's going to cost you. Literally, in many cases. *shrug*

9. pygmalion

And no. It's not because DS is eating crappy processed food all the time. (He abominates the stuff, btw.) Green giant now has boxtops on fresh veg at Target. Celery. Carrots. COTC. etc. Pretty groovy. Veg gets us a good six boxtops or more per week, by itself. When you add in a couple treats for DS it adds up pretty quickly. By my estimate, about $50 - $60 per year, if we keep track and clip everything. Doesn't seem like much money, until you multiply it by all the kids in a school. Then you have the potential to make some serious cash. But that probably belongs in the boxtops thread. :)

Addendum to yesterday: DS is going down with his once-a-year serious cold. I mean down. As in heat radiating out of his ears fever. *sigh* So [get this] my fifteen-year-old climbs into bed with me. He says he's cold and can't get warm. I am totally ambivalent about this. I think it's very sweet that, even at fifteen, Mommy makes him feel better. But the experience of him in my bed reminds me why I stopped all this nonsense years ago. Get in your own bed, you twerp! So I wait until my poor, feverish baby goes back to sleep, then go change his sheets and get in his bed. lol. What he doesn't know won't hurt him.

10. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

As another ANTI Walmart person, I think your Higher Power was trying to affirm your earlier decision not to patronize that vast suckhole of evil, discrimination, low wages, destruction of local businesses, and horrendous developing world manufacturing practices. I was just re-reading an article about the Tazreen Fashions factory fire in Bangladesh in late 2012 last year. Why was it not surprising to see Walmart's name in the mix of implicated companies?

RE: Your point about Friar Lawrence. I was in a ballet production of Romeo and Juliet at summer camp back when I was 15. (I was Juliet!) The choreographer did something clever. Friar Lawrence marries the two wearing a kind of cassock like garment with a hood, his head bowed. Romeo and Juliet leave the stage. Friar Lawrence takes three or four steps forward toward the audience and lifts his face. He is wearing a skull mask, symbolizing death. (I was going to call it a "death mask," but I believe that term usually refers to the masks people made of dead loved ones after death, which is clearly not what I meant.) Whether that was supposed to imply Friar Lawrence could have stopped it or that marriage = death for these two is up to interpretation, but it was pretty chilling, I thought.

11. ChaChaMama

SATURDAY:
    Graded 3 papers.

10--Left for conference.

10:15--Panel.

Lunch.

1--MY Panel: Apocalyptic Complexities I. It went well!

2:45--Apocalyptic Complexities II.
    There was one very pompous presenter on this panel. I may have asked a question afterwards that--very politely, of course--pointed out a somewhat absurd assertion he had made.

I was going to stay for the final plenary session, but that last session took a lot out of me.

Back to hotel. Walked up to 4th Street Live. 4th St. currently being torn up, and lots of derelict storefronts. Got approached by panhandlers twice in two blocks. Not necessarily a problem, but the streets were empty enough that I wasn't sure opening up my purse was a great decision, walking all by myself, so I said "Sorry" and kept going.

Back to room. Talked to family!
    Dinner, more grading.

Wrote in diary.

Looked at e-mail, which I have been avoiding since I came here. I got a request late on Thursday for a letter of rec--and she asked if maybe I could have it done on Friday (a.k.a. yesterday--she didn't know I was out of town), or at the latest she needs it by March 1. In a moment of weakness, I told her I would get it down by March 1st, but I cannot even tell you how much this rubs me the wrong way.
    PYGMALION! When DS applies for college, do not let DS ask teachers for letters of recommendation with less than a month's lead time! Especially do not let him ask them for it in 24 hours! That is just rude. "Oh, yeah--it's not like I was trying to grade 17 papers this weekend and like I don't have 2 other recommendations to write, plus a grad class to prepare for on Monday. Let's just jump you to the front of the queue." This person isn't even my advisee! (I had her in my freshman comp class.)

Packed.

Bed.

12. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Saturday: Decided if yogurt works for humans with antibiotic tummy upset, it should work for dogs. Picked up plain low-fat yogurt to add to dog food. Dog seems to be doing better. (Dentist Mom also suggested I check her mouth for irritation or signs the clots from extractions came out, as that or blood could be causing issues, but unless it's way far back in the mouth, nothing.) Went to pick up last paycheck from old job. Had to park way up the street and lo and behold, the used bookstore with eccentric hours (basically "whenever the owner feels like") was open. Talked for an hour with the owners, got a book on gladiators and a book on the Scottish highlanders. (I have a thing about Scotland lately.) Grabbed paycheck without having to see anyone but one of the servers * maniacal cackle* Checked the consignment shop and discovered I had money coming from them. Whee! Walked dogs. Dogs are not really into walking. Don't know why. Made doctored spaghetti for dinner (jar of sauce-Meijer Naturals was 2/$4 with porotbello and onion plus salt, pepper, paprika, ground mustard, and a little olive tapenade used like a cruda). Realized I forgot fruit I went to Meijer for in the first place (sidetracked by spaghetti sauce ingredients and doughnuts.) Facepalmed.

13. samina

samina Well-Known Member

I give Greek yogurt to my dog on a daily basis, and canned pumpkin periodically, which is supposed to be good for normalizing bowels in dogs...if that is an issue for your little guy right now.

14. pygmalion

Yeesh. That is SO rude. I was planning to coach DS to ask people for recommendations well in advance and only face to face. A stealth, last-minute email? Uhh. No.

I applaud you for taking the high road enough to do a recommendation at all. There are people who wouldn't, under such circumstances. Just sayin.

15. pygmalion

Yup. Walmart was the second thing that came to my mind, when I heard that story last year, right after the Triangle Shirtwaist Company. I find it morally reprehensible for a company to export century-ago abuses to other countries, just to keep prices artificially low. And let's just be straight, here. They're not keeping costs all that much lower than places like Target, even though labor costs are ridiculously abusively, low. They are taking profit at the expense of women and children who work in sweatshops the likes of which this country hasn't seen in almost a hundred years. That's what it boils down to, IMV.

My take: Friar Lawrence was trusted by and/or a confidante to all the major players, here. He was the only one in a position to know R&J's willingness to die for each other, if necessary. I think it's pretty likely he'd have had other parishioners in a similar position. He took confessions. He knew the intensity of a first, teenage love. He's the one who came up with the hare-brained** sleep potion idea. All Capulet did was what good fathers did back then: find his daughter a good husband and do the best he could to protect her good reputation. Capulet didn't know his daughter. Friar Lawrence did. Hmm.

** Had to google this to check the spelling. Hare brained and hair brained are both correct, it seems, although hare brained, as in something dumb bunnies would do, appears to have been the first use.

16. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

competition thurs through now....danced well....not perfectly, but well....well enough that people wish I would stop coming...well enough that a hotel employee said I am the only dancer he remembers watching over the past six years, well enough that another dancer came up to me and said she wanted to be like me, well enough that someone asked if I was a pro, which never happens with current pro...probably about 62 firsts 8 seconds...so, while I wasn't perfect and someone beat me in one style, someone good who rarely beats me, I still won 1200 dollars... and I refuse to be ashamed of how I did, maybe a little disappointed, but I refuse to apologize for how I dance....have now had 10 hours of sleep and 2 additional naps, and almost feel human again

17. pygmalion

Congrats on another successful dance weekend, f. I hope you get rested up and back into your normal groove soon. :)

18. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Sunday: Pretty much the whole day at the Berrien County animal shelter for the vaccination clinic. We started around noon and it was until LDD: last dog done, so I only just got home. BRRR. Was directing traffic at the end and it is getting VERY cold out there. Mildly annoying to see so many unaltered animals (not least because anything you save NOT having them done gets eaten up by license fees as unaltered animals cost more than twice as much.) My own dogs were doing the potty dance by the time I got home to let them out under giant full moon that's rising. Spaghetti dinner again as chicken is not yet defrosted. Possibly will warm up by tomorrow. Maybe. But lots and lots of dogs were done, some just for rabies, some rabies and the five-way.

19. pygmalion

Five way?

20. ChaChaMama

When we adopted our dog, age approximately 7, he was still unfixed. And while he was a stray when found, he clearly had been owned in the past as he knew some basic commands, was already housebroken, knew how to walk on a leash, etc. The Humane Society told me it was more common than one might think, esp with boy pets.

We got the neutering and some needed dental work done on him under the same anaesthesia. Always nice to get a two-fer!