yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

SATURDAY:
    Graded 3 papers.

10--Left for conference.

10:15--Panel.

Lunch.

1--MY Panel: Apocalyptic Complexities I. It went well!

2:45--Apocalyptic Complexities II.
    There was one very pompous presenter on this panel. I may have asked a question afterwards that--very politely, of course--pointed out a somewhat absurd assertion he had made.

I was going to stay for the final plenary session, but that last session took a lot out of me.

Back to hotel. Walked up to 4th Street Live. 4th St. currently being torn up, and lots of derelict storefronts. Got approached by panhandlers twice in two blocks. Not necessarily a problem, but the streets were empty enough that I wasn't sure opening up my purse was a great decision, walking all by myself, so I said "Sorry" and kept going.

Back to room. Talked to family!
    Dinner, more grading.

Wrote in diary.

Looked at e-mail, which I have been avoiding since I came here. I got a request late on Thursday for a letter of rec--and she asked if maybe I could have it done on Friday (a.k.a. yesterday--she didn't know I was out of town), or at the latest she needs it by March 1. In a moment of weakness, I told her I would get it down by March 1st, but I cannot even tell you how much this rubs me the wrong way.
    PYGMALION! When DS applies for college, do not let DS ask teachers for letters of recommendation with less than a month's lead time! Especially do not let him ask them for it in 24 hours! That is just rude. "Oh, yeah--it's not like I was trying to grade 17 papers this weekend and like I don't have 2 other recommendations to write, plus a grad class to prepare for on Monday. Let's just jump you to the front of the queue." This person isn't even my advisee! (I had her in my freshman comp class.)

Packed.

Bed.

2. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Saturday: Decided if yogurt works for humans with antibiotic tummy upset, it should work for dogs. Picked up plain low-fat yogurt to add to dog food. Dog seems to be doing better. (Dentist Mom also suggested I check her mouth for irritation or signs the clots from extractions came out, as that or blood could be causing issues, but unless it's way far back in the mouth, nothing.) Went to pick up last paycheck from old job. Had to park way up the street and lo and behold, the used bookstore with eccentric hours (basically "whenever the owner feels like") was open. Talked for an hour with the owners, got a book on gladiators and a book on the Scottish highlanders. (I have a thing about Scotland lately.) Grabbed paycheck without having to see anyone but one of the servers * maniacal cackle* Checked the consignment shop and discovered I had money coming from them. Whee! Walked dogs. Dogs are not really into walking. Don't know why. Made doctored spaghetti for dinner (jar of sauce-Meijer Naturals was 2/$4 with porotbello and onion plus salt, pepper, paprika, ground mustard, and a little olive tapenade used like a cruda). Realized I forgot fruit I went to Meijer for in the first place (sidetracked by spaghetti sauce ingredients and doughnuts.) Facepalmed.

3. samina

samina Well-Known Member

I give Greek yogurt to my dog on a daily basis, and canned pumpkin periodically, which is supposed to be good for normalizing bowels in dogs...if that is an issue for your little guy right now.

4. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Yeesh. That is SO rude. I was planning to coach DS to ask people for recommendations well in advance and only face to face. A stealth, last-minute email? Uhh. No.

I applaud you for taking the high road enough to do a recommendation at all. There are people who wouldn't, under such circumstances. Just sayin.

5. pygmalion

Yup. Walmart was the second thing that came to my mind, when I heard that story last year, right after the Triangle Shirtwaist Company. I find it morally reprehensible for a company to export century-ago abuses to other countries, just to keep prices artificially low. And let's just be straight, here. They're not keeping costs all that much lower than places like Target, even though labor costs are ridiculously abusively, low. They are taking profit at the expense of women and children who work in sweatshops the likes of which this country hasn't seen in almost a hundred years. That's what it boils down to, IMV.

My take: Friar Lawrence was trusted by and/or a confidante to all the major players, here. He was the only one in a position to know R&J's willingness to die for each other, if necessary. I think it's pretty likely he'd have had other parishioners in a similar position. He took confessions. He knew the intensity of a first, teenage love. He's the one who came up with the hare-brained** sleep potion idea. All Capulet did was what good fathers did back then: find his daughter a good husband and do the best he could to protect her good reputation. Capulet didn't know his daughter. Friar Lawrence did. Hmm.

** Had to google this to check the spelling. Hare brained and hair brained are both correct, it seems, although hare brained, as in something dumb bunnies would do, appears to have been the first use.

6. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

competition thurs through now....danced well....not perfectly, but well....well enough that people wish I would stop coming...well enough that a hotel employee said I am the only dancer he remembers watching over the past six years, well enough that another dancer came up to me and said she wanted to be like me, well enough that someone asked if I was a pro, which never happens with current pro...probably about 62 firsts 8 seconds...so, while I wasn't perfect and someone beat me in one style, someone good who rarely beats me, I still won 1200 dollars... and I refuse to be ashamed of how I did, maybe a little disappointed, but I refuse to apologize for how I dance....have now had 10 hours of sleep and 2 additional naps, and almost feel human again

7. pygmalion

Congrats on another successful dance weekend, f. I hope you get rested up and back into your normal groove soon. :)

8. danceronice

Sunday: Pretty much the whole day at the Berrien County animal shelter for the vaccination clinic. We started around noon and it was until LDD: last dog done, so I only just got home. BRRR. Was directing traffic at the end and it is getting VERY cold out there. Mildly annoying to see so many unaltered animals (not least because anything you save NOT having them done gets eaten up by license fees as unaltered animals cost more than twice as much.) My own dogs were doing the potty dance by the time I got home to let them out under giant full moon that's rising. Spaghetti dinner again as chicken is not yet defrosted. Possibly will warm up by tomorrow. Maybe. But lots and lots of dogs were done, some just for rabies, some rabies and the five-way.

9. pygmalion

Five way?

10. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

When we adopted our dog, age approximately 7, he was still unfixed. And while he was a stray when found, he clearly had been owned in the past as he knew some basic commands, was already housebroken, knew how to walk on a leash, etc. The Humane Society told me it was more common than one might think, esp with boy pets.

We got the neutering and some needed dental work done on him under the same anaesthesia. Always nice to get a two-fer!

11. NURDRMS

NURDRMS Well-Known Member

Waited until my puppy was eight months old to have him neutered...wanted to ensure he was big and bulky enough to hold his own against a couple of coyotes if necessary. True, he acquired some aggressive behaviors that he had to unlearn, but I'm glad I waited that long. I don't understand folks who don't ever bother getting their pets 'fixed', though. Getting rid of the unwanted behaviors that come with those hormones far outweighs the cost of the surgery, IMO.

12. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

I got my kitty done as soon as he was old enough to want to start peeing on my household items. It was around 6 months, IIRC.

13. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Saturday:

Dropped off garbage and recycling at solid waste facility and rested all day - Cold or something like that.
    7pm headed out for a 50 minute drive to dance to a live Latin band for 3 hours, and then drove an hour back home.

14. danceronice

8 months is one thing. Ten years, when it's a scuzzy little Chihuahua with bad teeth? And a three-year license for a fixed dog is $25 while for an unaltered one it's $75? Yeesh.

Hands and feet: still freezing. It was clear most of the day and getting dark by the time we were directing the last few cars into line and even with a heavy coat and gloves I was freezing by the time I got home. Many carbohydrates later and I am almost warmed up, but a hot bath will be nice....

15. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Friday: sleep in, gloriously. Piddle, take ridiculously long shower, head out. Get smoked turkey , go grocery shopping. Home with massive list of stuff to make.

Make baked kale chips (ugh!), collard greens, mahogany chicken. Start beer bread and cranberry pecan bread.

Shower, dancing, home, sleep like poo.

Saturday: up too early. Bake cranberry pecan bread, bake beer bread. Finish mahogany chicken. Make meat cubes, chicken with spinach. Start brioche. Make hot milk cake and pastry cream for brother's birthday cake (which will be Boston cream pie when I'm finished).

Want to go dancing, but too tired. Fall asleep watching West Wing with DH.

Today: wake up early and can't get back to sleep. Bake another loaf of beer bread. Get brioche rising. Assemble Boston cream pie, and make glaze; finish cake. Bake brioche.

Shower, etc. Pack bags of goodies, head to parents' house. Nice family day for brother's b-day.

Home. Watch movie with DH. Pack lunches. Bed soon.

16. pygmalion

Sunday: Veg, take care of sick and overly dramatic teenager, shop, clean.

DS and I concur that he's too sick tonight to be of any use at school tomorrow. So he stays up late and annoys me by making an unholy racket. Now he's asleep and I'm awake. Yay.

Also see, in passing, a very cool commercial that features a couple doing a cute west coast swing. But now I can't remember what they were advertising and no amount of searching on youtube gets me any results. I guess it's not filed under west coast swing. Darn! I wanted to post that under videos in the dancing on TV section.

I had to google five way on my own, btw. Thanks, all you doggie people!. *grin* I had a doggie only once -- Sam, the cockapoo. Boy was she adorable! But she came from a doggie shelter where it was required that the dog have everything done before he/she was released. So five way didn't ring any bells for me. Conjured up images of some weird sex thing. It's clear I've been watching too much SVU. :D

17. pygmalion

I left out a couple things in the past couple days. (I told y'all I'd forgotten stuff.)

One: get an email from DS's school re: End of course exams. Yet another way to torture kids. This one is a schedule of retakes, if your child fails the exams. Retakes are required, it says. Oh yay. Yet another stressor for already overburdened teens. I honestly do not know how kids make it, these days.

Two: Have an infuriating conversation with a friend whose friend has just been released from prison after serving five years for vehicular homicide while under the influence (or something like that.) I said something like, "It's tragic that, on top of the people he killed, now his life and the lives of his close family are ruined as well." (He was an engineer making more than $100,000 a year, leading community involvement activities, etc. Now he's an ex-con who will be lucky if he ever gets another job.) She said, "Hmm. He killed three people. He deserved to go to prison. When he killed those people, he forfeited his life." Aaargh. Not saying he shouldn't pay for his crime. But simplistic answers to complex questions get my goat, big time. Cases like this raise so many questions for me. I can't imagine why anybody thinks there are easy answers.

I bite my tongue bloody, but manage not to start no stuff.

Touchy topic, I know, and I am not trying to start a debate. I just cannot stand it when people hide behind knee jerk easy answers rather than look at the complexity that's a part of our lives. It's not easy.

18. pygmalion

Oh yeah and the ex sends me a link to an article he wants me to share with DS. It's about a fifteen year old kid from Maryland who has come up with an inexpensive test for pancreatic cancer.

DS is not impressed. He sees this as his Dad finding him lacking, again. a la "That kid can help cure cancer, and I can't remember to turn in my homework? Thanks for sharing, Dad." I explain to DS that his Dad means well. He intends DS to take this as inspiration that he can do/be/have anything he wants.

Oy. This was so much easier when I was married to the ex and WANTED to be his advocate on everything all the time. Now, it's a tightrope walk every day. *sigh*

19. pygmalion

Also should mention that on Friday, there was a noticeable lack of leftover controversy. (Was it in this thread that I mentioned the question of ownership of leftovers from a pot luck? Can't remember.)

There was a pot luck b'day celebration on Thursday. Plenty of food leftover. Come Friday, nobody insisted on heating up leftovers for everybody's Friday lunch. (I also realize that the reheating is an issue for me, since I own the crock pots and, when nobody else helps, I get stuck with cleaning them, even though I am not a fan of leftovers.) People who wanted leftovers of anything they'd brought took their stuff home. People who had stuff they wanted to share shared it. Easy breezy.

The big difference: the lady who insists on claiming leftovers on behalf of the group was out sick for the day. It appears that her approach is the issue, at least for this group of folks. So I just won't be doing potlucks any day other than Friday anymore, to avoid the whole leftover question. I'll also bring disposable plastic containers, so I can give MY leftover stuff to the single Moms in the group, if they want it. lol

20. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

sunday; sit, eat, nap, sit, eat, nap....bathe, feed animals, find my insurance card, watch movie with dh....sit, eat, sleep