yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

Up. Graded 2 papers.

Shuttle to airport.

FLEW HOME!!! Finished reading The Lady and Her Monsters on the flight, and also took a quick snooze.

Stopped by office to pick up late papers. Still one short. Sigh.

Do some laundry.

Child suggests make-up Family Fun Night since I wasn't home Friday. We watch "Goldfinger."
    CHILD: This movie is kind of racist, though, because the Koreans are always working for the British people and don't even talk. It makes the British seem like they are top of the pile.
    Have I mentioned how much I love this kid?

Put Child to bed.
    Child gets a little weepy because she is scared about what is going to happen over the next couple days. I tell her that Daddy will be okay and that even though I'm a little nervous too, his surgery is very routine. She says that she is worried for herself too, though. I have a student taking her to ice skating and then she's sleeping over at her friend P's house. She worries about what if P's mom doesn't really like her? And P's mom is a lot stricter than you, Mom. And what if P's mom wants me to eat something I don't like to eat? Etc.
    It's not like she has never been to a sleepover before...and we hang out with P's family EVERY Saturday in the summer at swim meets. I think she probably is a little nervous about her Dad's surgery, AND a different friend of hers recently mentioned to her that her mom doesn't like Child. (!!!)

I say all kinds of reassuring things:
    -of course P's mom likes you,
    -you are only going to be there 1 hour before bedtime tonight and 1 hour before school tomorrow,
    -you can bring Cheerios with you and I'm sure that would be fine.
    Child is still stressed and says: "SSS"...and acronym she says means Still Sounds Scary. :( I told her I was a little afraid it stood for Sinus Surgery Senter, and added that I didn't think I could let her Dad have surgery at a place which spelled "center" with an S. That got her laughing.

I am retrospectively sorry that I made these plans without fully consulting Child first. I now think that asking her friend J's mom might have been the wiser course, as I know Child feels very comfortable there. I ran into P's mom and asked her, assuming that this would be fine and dandy with Child. We've known this family for YEARS! The kids came to her birthday when she was turning 5! I know it will be fine, but I'm sorry Child is feeling distressed.

Wrote in diary.
    Bed on early side. Tonight (Monday --> Tuesday), in an absolutely best case scenario, I will get 6 hours of sleep. I teach until 10 PM. Optimistically, I can be home and in bed by 11 PM. We need to get up at 5 to be at the surgery center by 6. Yuck. On the other hand, the good news is that he'll be done nice and early!
  2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

awww...sorry for CCC but I do think it will be good for her to see that it is okay...and important to realize that sometimes sacrifice is part of being in a family...but, I feel so badly for her
    pygmalion likes this.
  3. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

flew to SD spoke to an md group about some research

grabbed three sessions of Latin coaching with my amazing latin pro

flew home
  4. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

To American Style Congress
    To New York Dance Festival, working; watch DB#1 and 2 do their Rhythm heats
    Friend from Houston arrives ~10pm, I put her to work immediately; we finish out the evening at the comp, then talk until 3:30 am; this will come back to bite me in the knat

To hairdresser to get my hair done; take iPad with photos of what I want, get what I want, leave iPad at salon; TDNWMH
    Back to comp; work for a while; watch DB#1 and 4 do their Smooth
    Walk over to the Mary Poppins theater and get my makeup done by a makeup artist there
    Pick up some food and get cab back to hotel
    Dress, pick at food
    Dance! single dances, Peabody!!!, more single dances; Ladies C Dancesport Championship, my first championship ever, have illegal fun dancing
    Run to hotel room, change into evening gown, then work the rest of the night, til ~1:30, Z 2:30
    ChaChaMama and pygmalion like this.
  5. j_alexandra

Back into ballroom by 7am, as I don't have anyone to cover for me that early
    Get coverage for most of daytime, then grab friend from Houston, pack up and go home, build a fire in the fireplace, take nap, dress, and get back to comp in plenty of time for evening session
    Work until midnight
    Try to find food b/c am ravenous; stop at a diner for a bowl of soup
    Fall asleep at the wheel 6 times on the way home; TDNWMH in spades
    Home 1:30; remove makeup and crash
  6. fascination

mon...teach two classes on fumes...home to wash gowns...then hell freezes over...I will leave the details aside, not sure what to make of it anyhow, but am going with positiveness...tend to some other work details and pet care, beyond that; more sitting and recovering
  7. samina

samina Well-Known Member

j_alexandra likes this.
  8. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Channeling positive thoughts to the Chacha Family today.
  9. j_alexandra

Yes, you read that right. 3:30. And I was up 2 hours later. And am paying the price now.
  10. j_alexandra

This one sentence showed up onscreen by itself. Out of context, it evoked um, er, um... wotthe?
  11. samina

samina Well-Known Member

That's comping for ya. Hope you're catching up on ZZZs now.
  12. j_alexandra

Take Houston friend to airport
    Supermarket on the way home; PO, stop to see Blond German Friend, who has just been told her mom is dying of stomach cancer; BGF has to go home to see her and is in about the condition you'd expect
    Rest of the day: large amounts of food, phone calls, and sleep
    Finally unpack suitcase and straighten up; I am becoming allergic to chaos, can't stand a mess; who are you and what have you done with JA?
    Do not go to group class as I cannot get my feet into shoes
  13. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Re-read the Travel Section of the local newspaper from Sunday.
    Decide to "keep" travel section, listing 49 unadvertised places to visit in San Francisco, so interesting I gotta do this.
    Head off to garden shop - 4 artichoke plants, let's just say that artichokes grow madly in my garden and I LOVE them.
    Call from doctor, "must start bone density therapy today"...uhhhh, ok. Head off to pharmacy.
    Start shopping for kitchen cabinets, decision made on new kitchen counter,,,,I'm so excited!
    Facebook to see #1 grandson in his practice baseball get-up, as he proudly tells me,,,,4 teams wanted him and out of xyz number of kids (let's talk hundreds) he's ranked 17th.
    His smile is so big,,it makes me laugh.
    Note good weather for this weekend, deciding to nab #2grandson and have a nana and me day with him...which could be wickedly fun without anyone else around...probable beach trip to Huntington Beach...and a bike ride.
    Cook up some great soup, start searching for cooking classes, one of my passions I would like to pursue more.
  14. pygmalion

I am so sorry to hear about your friend's Mom, JA. Losing a loved one to cancer is a terrible thing. I can't imagine what it would be like if that loved one was my mother.

I am glad she has you as a friend.
  15. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Monday: Go skate. Manage some more things that were hard that used to be easy and are getting easy again. Contemplate that I have an obsession-prone personality, perhaps. Deposit checks at the credit union (last paycheck, payment 3 of 4 for green dress, and check I didn't know I had coming but did from consignment store-bonus!), stop at Martin's for fruit I forgot to buy Saturday at Meijer (and wind up with cheese and other things, too. However, fruit was apples, apples and Brie go to together...snack when I get home.) Cook chicken thighs. Stock up for lousy Tuesday weather.
  16. fascination

not sure how I missed this, but my very deepest sympathies to a horrible illness
  17. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Cincinnati chili. A "two-way" is the basic chili over noodles. A "three-way" adds cheese to that. A "four-way" adds onions, and a "five-way" adds beans. (That's the way Gold Star does it, IIRC; other places may be the other way around.) Cincinnati chili is somewhat of an acquired taste; it looks like regular chili but is spiced differently.
  18. fascination

I know about all that chili stuff...I thought they were talking about vet lingo though....maybe I need to go back and read more carefully
  19. pygmalion

Oh my gosh! That sounds delicious!
  20. fascination

cinci chili, also as peaches makes it is definitely a different breed of chili and is of the very few exceptions I ever made to the walmart rule was that they used to sell cans and frozen packs of skyline chili, which I would go in and buy for my son