yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

ChaChaChild was a champ. She knew there was a slim possibility she would stay after school with the Robotics Club kids if Husband hadn't been discharged from surgery yet, and then get driven home either by me or by another mom. I had not prepped her for the possibility that I would be in the hospital, of course! She was a little nervous but not overwhelmingly upset by that piece of news, maybe because this isn't the first time I've fainted in her lifetime. (Also Christmas Eve 2010.) I did NOT make it home before she went to sleep, but she had her grandparents here.

My Mom is also a fainter, and has fainted in places as exotic as the sports complex in Havana, Cuba; the Vatican; my cousin's graduation from Holy Cross. Child knows Nana faints sometimes as she has heard us talk about it. So while it is still of course upsetting when a family member is having a health crisis, she kind of gets it that this happens.

Btw, apparently today there are a huge number of people from my college at the same hospital i was at with either norovirus, food poisoning, or something like it. I do not think that's related to my problem, as I was not actually vomiting, I just felt like I was going to. But it makes me sort of glad I needed to take today off. It sounds like attendance would have been noticeably diminished.

2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I'm glad she handled it so well. It's a big accomplishment, for a child her age.

3. pygmalion

This is my 50,000th post. :)

Last night/ today.

DS is coughing and coughing. Oy. We agree that it's unlikely he'll go to school on Wednesday. Day three. *sigh*

Awake early. As in 2:00AM, when DS pokes me awake to ask if he can sleep with me, again. This does not bode well. I let him get in bed with me, and then I worry while he sleeps. I worry even more when I get up to use the bathroom and see residual blood in the sink, where DS spit out bloody mucus and did not wash it all away. Oy.

Try to sleep but can't. Up early and to urgent care. DS has bronchitis. Nothing major. Scary but not major. Antibiotics applied. DS to bed.

Me to work. This is so messed up, but what can I do? I'm in the middle of training a new group, and I refuse to let the team down. I'm scheduled to teach this afternoon, and teach I shall.

To the cafeteria for lunch. I can't remember the last time I ate. Run into M, a really nice gentleman that I don't really know, except to say hello. (Funny how you can develop important non-relationships like that. I've said hello to this man most M-F for years now, but know nothing about him other than his name. Yet he's a fixture in my work life.) I say to him very casually, "Wow. I haven't seen you in a while!" Then he blindsides me. "I had cancer. Back in December, I was diagnosed with colon cancer. I had treatment and I'm okay now." To say that I was shocked is an understatement. As overly dramatic as it sounds, I grabbed my chest and had to fight back tears. I was so overwhelmed with emotion that for once, I had no words. No words. Oh! Cancer. It's everywhere.

To training class, which is a joy. These folks are so easy to teach. We make it through the afternoon, even though I am fading fast. I had pretty close to zero sleep, I was so worried about DS last night. At then end of the day, my class thanks me profusely and tells me how much the appreciate my energetic, interesting teaching style. This warms my heart.

Home, where DS is less cough-y, has clearing mucus (not yellow or green anymore, thank God,) and has little to no fever. Oh thank God for antibiotics.

Force DS to bed. At this point, only rest will help, IMO. Apply mass quantities of fluids and light snacks.

Now: Clean incredible mess that DS has managed to create in the past few days. (He's lucky he's sick, or I'd be forced to kill him. :D )

Soon: Watch season premiere of Psyche. Incredibly silly detective show that DS has somehow gotten me hooked on.

Zzz early, I hope.

Purr likes this.
  4. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

CONGRATS and thanks for having your 50Kth post in the YA thread!

5. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Congrats, P - thassalottaposts!

6. pygmalion

7. ChaChaMama

Congratulations, Pygmalion!!!

You should be promoted from "Well-Known Member" to...I don't know...what's a good term for "Heart and Soul of the Community"?

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  8. ChaChaMama

WEDNESDAY:
    Mostly did nothing and napped a lot with the following exceptions:
    In the AM:
    -Rescued car and winter coat from Surgical Center with my parents. They were pleased to see me up on my feet again, seeing as how I must have left there in rather spectacular fashion. My Dad drove one car and my Mom drove the other, as at that point I was still not sure if I should drive.

In the PM:
    -Picked up Child from school.
    -Grocery store to get ginger ale and straws for Husband, who felt like that was what he really wanted.
    -Took Child to dance. (Husband thought this was possibly pushing it, but I was feeling quite a bit better by then.)

In other news:
    Apparently the college has been decimated by a norovirus-like illness, and lots of our students have been to the hospital. I'm really glad I stayed home from school today per doctor's orders. An illness when I'm already feeling drained from the fainting spell would not be a good thing. The hospital is probably getting sick of the name of my school by now!

9. pygmalion

Wow. What a wonderful thing to say. :)

10. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

wed....dtr's b day...teach an awesome class...drive to city and have wonderful lunch....drive home in very bad weather...all of this takes far longer than you would imagine....call from a local dance friend....long call....in bed by 8...for 11 hours

11. pygmalion

Yes. I heard that the Midwest is getting blanketed with snow ... again.

12. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

I'll take snow over rain, slush, and snow that turns to slush because the ground's not cold enough like it's been doing for two days...I thought I was going to be able to stay home and skate in the driveway. Weds: skate skate skate. I think my coaches in NH were probably right, I missed my calling dropping out because ISI group teachers couldn't teach me to skate backwards, figures probably would have been right up my monomaniacal alley.

13. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

ohhh CCMM, no repeat performances of the scenario - take care of yourself!

14. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

second that:)

15. pygmalion

I wouldn't have had it be any other place. :)

I don't want to be overly sentimental, here, but I have to say that I appreciate the community, within this thread, so much. I make it a point to make my posts here substantive and/or supportive as much as I possibly can.

I appreciate you all. :)

16. fascination

it is interesting how the thread has evolved...

17. ChaChaMama

Thanks. I'm trying! In fact, today I took Husband to his doctor for post-op care, which is very important with sinus surgery. I told him I was going to stay in the car and wait for him rather than go in. I was afraid that being in a medical facility might trigger anxiety and make me pass out again.

I have no idea, of course, whether anxiety is what did me in last time, but I'm not taking chances.

I may head up to campus in a little bit, but if I do, I'm going to try to be in and out of the office in under 30 minutes and not to go near the restrooms. The norovirus-like illness has spread to some commuters--i.e., people who do not eat in the dining hall or sleep in the dorms. So it's definitely not just a dining hall problem. Every metal doorhandle, etc, is suspect until further notice, as far as I'm concerned.

pygmalion and 3wishes like this.
  18. fascination

thurs...teach oldies class...visit with the ladies for a while, and enjoy the conversations that are unique to elders....home to many tasks around house including more post comp clean up and organizing, bills, laundry, pet care, cleaning kitchen,etc...drive to schererville to pick up a trophy and a voucher...practice for a zumba event, download some music, soak in jacuzzi, cook dh a fine dinner....catch up with dh...cuddle...bed soon

19. j_alexandra

Tuesday:
    Cancel gyro and reschedule to Thurs
    Manage to get swollen feet into shoes and go to Lesson, in which Teach and I go over competition stuff and actually dance a bit, after which we *both* feel better
    To HFKAM, to pack and ship stuff
    Home, crash
    Get phone call from DB#4, Teach is giving a class in Quickstep tonight, do I want to come? Back into car, back to studio, b/c I"m falling in love with Quickstep; class is fun
    Stop to see Blond German Friend, who is working in the bar next door to studio
    Home, Z

20. j_alexandra

Wednesday:

Lesson, in which Teach ramps up plans for the future
    Father cancels theater for tonight b/c he has bad back pain; TDNWMH
    Rolfer! Swoon!
    Home; cook; read; play with kitten; Z