yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

We were, but that's all the more reason why I asked. The same set of words can mean a ton of different things.

Apparently, five way = a set of doggie vaccinations, a really awesome chili combo, or a weird sex thing.

Any more definitions? *wiggly eyebrows*

2. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Blond German Friend is both falling apart and stoic, by turns. Hard enough to have your mom dying of stomach cancer. Harder to be an ocean away while it's happening, and be living from paycheck to paycheck and have no credit card. I feel for her.

3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

please tell me she is going to be able to go back

4. fascination

tues....continued, little unexpected occurrences, order comp photos, take online courses in prep for an upcoming training to become a trainer of instructors....teach spin...cuddle pets...dh to return home tonight

5. j_alexandra

She may not have a credit card. I do. And I will force her to use it.

cornutt, pygmalion and fascination like this.
  6. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

MONDAY:
    9, 9:20, 9:40--3 individual student appointments, but one person had family emergency. At least the person e-mailed.

10:20--GREAT WORKS II. Communist Manifesto.

11:30--Lunch, work on letter of recommendation.

12:40-2:10--Supposed to be 3 30-minute Senior Seminar appointments. The first person blows me off.

2:15, 2:35, 2:55, 3:15, 3:35, 3:55, 4:15, 4:35, 4:55--9 individual student appointments.

5:15--Pack up and go, go, go!!!

5:30--Home, in time to meet student chauffeur/student and review the plans I sent her via PM.

7--Back to campus.

7:30-10--Modern World. Frankenstein. Pretty great discussion, given that it is at the end of a very, very long day.

10-10:30--Finish off letter of recommendation.

Home, brief decompress.

11:15--Bed in prep for Husband's surgery.

7. ChaChaMama

TUESDAY:
    5:15--UP!
    6--Check in at Surgery Center.
    7--Husband goes back for surgery.
    8:15--Doctor comes out and says surgery well really well. (YAY!)
    9:15--I get to go back. Husband looks MUCH better than I had anticipated. No visible bleeding!

Husband is supposed to get discharge instructions...except it turns out there is a lot of paperwork that didn't get done ahead of time. Paperwork okaying the bandages on legs. Paperwork acknowledging the status of jewelry. Etc. Etc. Then we move on to discharge.

Very early in this process, it occurs to me that I would like a chair, and that I would be much more comfortable with that than leaning over Husband's bed, but I don't ask for one.
    I start to feel...warm. I take off my big heavy sweatshirt. Then I feel a little off. They get me a chair which reclines.

PASS OUT COLD. Apparently pulse drops to 30, and I look kind of gray. They apparently used smelling salts. I didn't come around. Finally I did, and of course I was confused because I did not remember passing out at all. They are worried because I was out for awhile, am sweating profusely, etc.

TRANSPORTED BY AMBULANCE TO EMERGENCY ROOM. :( :( :(
    I feel like just a body, not even a brain. But to the extent I can think anything, I'm thinking "I really messed this day up." :(
    I'm lightheaded and super-nauseated. I get a bag of saline plus anti-nausea stuff (zofran?) via IV. And another. And another.
    I'm also worried about whether Husband is still at the Surgery Center. He can't drive because he was under anaesthetic. I can't drive because I'm too lightheaded. Turns out he called one of my work friends' husband, who drove him home...I think around 1 PM?
    Call secretary b/c I think I feel well enough to go home. Then I start to feel worse. Apologize to secretary for having asked for this huge favor and then decided I couldn't go home anyway. She is super sweet about it and says it is not my fault, that I couldn't have known I would start to feel worse again, and that she will stay with me until my parents get there. Decide to let myself be admitted.

Parents arrive from NJ! Secretary takes my Mom home and Dad stays with me while I'm admitted. Btw, my roommate in the semi-private room had had a mini-stroke. Made me think of you, p.

By 6 or 7 PM, I'm feeling better largely better, enough to make jokes. Still too nauseated to eat the hospital dinner, but I can get up and use the bathroom, which is an improvement. At 8 PM, I'm discharged.

At home. Now feel well enough to eat, and everyone thinks I should eat. (In fact, my discharge instructions are basically: take tomorrow off work, eat. Consider upping your calories for the day. Sounds fine.) My parents had gotten Husband a Mrs. Field's cookie basket for a "Get Well Soon" gift. I have some semi-sweet cookies. Also a very small piece of the lasagna that a work friend gave Husband. I seriously, seriously owe this work friend and her husband, and even more so my secretary, who stayed with me so loyally while I was lying there feeling terrible!!!!

9:40 PM--To bed.

8. fascination

oh my...please be well:(

9. pygmalion

ccm. Two things.

1) How is chachachild?

2) As ridiculous as I know this sounds, you don't seriously owe your friends and secretary anything. I am sure that they came through for you with open hearts, because they wanted to.

Oops. I guess it should be three or four things. Hugs and blessings to you and your family. I hope you have a restful day. *hug*

10. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Be well, CCM...wishing you (and DH) a speedy recovery.

11. ChaChaMama

ChaChaChild was a champ. She knew there was a slim possibility she would stay after school with the Robotics Club kids if Husband hadn't been discharged from surgery yet, and then get driven home either by me or by another mom. I had not prepped her for the possibility that I would be in the hospital, of course! She was a little nervous but not overwhelmingly upset by that piece of news, maybe because this isn't the first time I've fainted in her lifetime. (Also Christmas Eve 2010.) I did NOT make it home before she went to sleep, but she had her grandparents here.

My Mom is also a fainter, and has fainted in places as exotic as the sports complex in Havana, Cuba; the Vatican; my cousin's graduation from Holy Cross. Child knows Nana faints sometimes as she has heard us talk about it. So while it is still of course upsetting when a family member is having a health crisis, she kind of gets it that this happens.

Btw, apparently today there are a huge number of people from my college at the same hospital i was at with either norovirus, food poisoning, or something like it. I do not think that's related to my problem, as I was not actually vomiting, I just felt like I was going to. But it makes me sort of glad I needed to take today off. It sounds like attendance would have been noticeably diminished.

12. pygmalion

I'm glad she handled it so well. It's a big accomplishment, for a child her age.

13. pygmalion

This is my 50,000th post. :)

Last night/ today.

DS is coughing and coughing. Oy. We agree that it's unlikely he'll go to school on Wednesday. Day three. *sigh*

Awake early. As in 2:00AM, when DS pokes me awake to ask if he can sleep with me, again. This does not bode well. I let him get in bed with me, and then I worry while he sleeps. I worry even more when I get up to use the bathroom and see residual blood in the sink, where DS spit out bloody mucus and did not wash it all away. Oy.

Try to sleep but can't. Up early and to urgent care. DS has bronchitis. Nothing major. Scary but not major. Antibiotics applied. DS to bed.

Me to work. This is so messed up, but what can I do? I'm in the middle of training a new group, and I refuse to let the team down. I'm scheduled to teach this afternoon, and teach I shall.

To the cafeteria for lunch. I can't remember the last time I ate. Run into M, a really nice gentleman that I don't really know, except to say hello. (Funny how you can develop important non-relationships like that. I've said hello to this man most M-F for years now, but know nothing about him other than his name. Yet he's a fixture in my work life.) I say to him very casually, "Wow. I haven't seen you in a while!" Then he blindsides me. "I had cancer. Back in December, I was diagnosed with colon cancer. I had treatment and I'm okay now." To say that I was shocked is an understatement. As overly dramatic as it sounds, I grabbed my chest and had to fight back tears. I was so overwhelmed with emotion that for once, I had no words. No words. Oh! Cancer. It's everywhere.

To training class, which is a joy. These folks are so easy to teach. We make it through the afternoon, even though I am fading fast. I had pretty close to zero sleep, I was so worried about DS last night. At then end of the day, my class thanks me profusely and tells me how much the appreciate my energetic, interesting teaching style. This warms my heart.

Home, where DS is less cough-y, has clearing mucus (not yellow or green anymore, thank God,) and has little to no fever. Oh thank God for antibiotics.

Force DS to bed. At this point, only rest will help, IMO. Apply mass quantities of fluids and light snacks.

Now: Clean incredible mess that DS has managed to create in the past few days. (He's lucky he's sick, or I'd be forced to kill him. :D )

Soon: Watch season premiere of Psyche. Incredibly silly detective show that DS has somehow gotten me hooked on.

Zzz early, I hope.

Purr likes this.
  14. j_alexandra

CONGRATS and thanks for having your 50Kth post in the YA thread!

15. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Congrats, P - thassalottaposts!

16. pygmalion

17. ChaChaMama

Congratulations, Pygmalion!!!

You should be promoted from "Well-Known Member" to...I don't know...what's a good term for "Heart and Soul of the Community"?

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  18. ChaChaMama

WEDNESDAY:
    Mostly did nothing and napped a lot with the following exceptions:
    In the AM:
    -Rescued car and winter coat from Surgical Center with my parents. They were pleased to see me up on my feet again, seeing as how I must have left there in rather spectacular fashion. My Dad drove one car and my Mom drove the other, as at that point I was still not sure if I should drive.

In the PM:
    -Picked up Child from school.
    -Grocery store to get ginger ale and straws for Husband, who felt like that was what he really wanted.
    -Took Child to dance. (Husband thought this was possibly pushing it, but I was feeling quite a bit better by then.)

In other news:
    Apparently the college has been decimated by a norovirus-like illness, and lots of our students have been to the hospital. I'm really glad I stayed home from school today per doctor's orders. An illness when I'm already feeling drained from the fainting spell would not be a good thing. The hospital is probably getting sick of the name of my school by now!

19. pygmalion

Wow. What a wonderful thing to say. :)

20. fascination

wed....dtr's b day...teach an awesome class...drive to city and have wonderful lunch....drive home in very bad weather...all of this takes far longer than you would imagine....call from a local dance friend....long call....in bed by 8...for 11 hours