yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

When do we get to see kitten pics?

The week, in (quasi-) brief:

NPC and programmer are in Cincy this week, so things at the office have been remarkably quiet. Much productivity. Mostly I've been playing with SAS and trying to get it to do what I want it to. Much fun, much learning. Also much frustration, but the good kind. What I'm redesigning will so seriously kick [butt] when I'm done with it!

Evenings = vegging, mostly. I've been mostly brain-dead after work this week. Tuesday saw friends in the evening, yesterday DH was gone on a business trip and I drank vodka and piddled online.

Z has been remarkably good lately, which is nice. Except waking up sucks. (Worst part of day: that moment of getting out of bed. Best part of day: that moment when I turn off the light and snuggle under the blankets with DH.)
    j_alexandra likes this.
  2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Wondering out loud, P. Feel free to ignore.

Is there a way for you to get promoted and still do the work that you love? It's so obvious from things you say that you LOVE much of what you do. Career mobility is important to you, but there are some things about your work that you just love. I would hate to see you promoted into doing something you love less.

And, btw, you will be getting promoted soon.

Just wondering. One of the companies I used to work for had two parallel career paths -- the "technical ladder" and the "management ladder." Most people started on the technical ladder. Some switched over to management, but many were able to stay on the technical ladder up through VP level or higher (until all our jobs were shipped overseas, but that's another story. lol)

But the point stands. At this company, you could be a highly paid, highly ranked, high-level techie person. There was no requirement that you ever become a manager in order to advance.

Wondering, rhetorically, if there's anything like that where you are. As much as I want to see you promoted, I would hate to see you promoted into a job where you get stuck in an office, doing employee evaluations for people who now get to do the work you love.

ETA: This is not to say that you would not be a good manager, just that you've expressed no interest in being a manager. You have, however, rhapsodized about SAS, spreadsheets, databases, etc. :D
  3. Peaches

Oh yes. We have the same thing. I am looking for promotion on the technical track. (To be fair, I'm not really looking at getting up the ladder--I have only one more rung before I'm at the absolute top. ). I have made it blatantly clear that there is no way I hell, be it frozen over it not, I will go into management. I have been approached, several times, and have politely told them to bugger off. I will deliberately stagnate (ladder/pay wise, not work wise) before I go into management.

P.S.--and I know I would be an absolutely terrible manager. Horrible. I do not have either the patience or the tact to deal with people, and I wouldn't be able to escape it. No way. Oddly, what got me noticed for potential management was my strong technical side...because our division is dumb enough to think that good technical people make good managers. Huge mistake. So I'm not offended by anyone suggesting that maybe dealing with people wouldn't be the best use of my talents.
  4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

friday: teach a huge bike and bench class....as usual, several informal meetings before I can get out the door...then off to hallmark to buy easter things for grandbaby and a b-day gift for sister and law...get emissions test on dh's car....PITA...home to practice for a zumba event in the evening and to take care of pets and clean house...nice chat with my aunt...back to the Y for zumba event...dh and I to bed early
  5. pygmalion

Easter things for grandbaby. That has a nice ring to it. :) We haven't seen pix of the cutie-pie, in a while, btw. Him with bunny ears on would be nice to see. Just saying. :D
  6. pygmalion

Hmm. I started so many responses to this, but they all sound intrusive, so I'll keep my trap shut.

I hear you on the tech people don't necessarily make good managers point, though. The worst manager I ever had was easily the most technically brilliant. Multiple graduate degrees. Years and years in a lab. Dozens of papers published in "the literature." Couldn't have a face to face conversation with an employee. Thank goodness that, when we all lost our jobs, he became a venture capitalist. No more need for face to face interaction, most of the time.
  7. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

My dad used to say, of a company that he worked for back in the day: "They take good engineers and turn them into mediocre managers."
    pygmalion likes this.
  8. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

THURSDAY:
    Took it easy, with the exception of
    -Took Child to/from school.
    -Took Husband to post-op appointment. Stayed in car during appointment.
    -Grocery store.
    Also e-mailed MWF classes and students whose appointments got cancelled. Need to figure out how I'm going to get back on track.

FRIDAY:
    Felt slightly worse this morning. By "slightly worse," I mean slightly lightheaded. Decided to try to go to work for 3 hours, but cancel afternoon meeting with first year team.
    8:25--Dropped Child at work.

9:10--ENG 1101. How to assess the value of websites. Can you use them in your research paper?
    ***Fully 1/3 of class missing due to stomach virus sweeping campus.***

Ones we looked at and discussed included:
    Example #1) http://norml.org
    [Yellow light. Can use, as long as aware it is an advocacy site and that assertions need to be double checked with less biased sources of info.]
    Example #2) http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/aid/v2/n1/unicorns-in-bible
    [Note: This may be my favorite example ever, partially because I do not think I have ever met an atheist who cited the presence of unicorns in The Bible as his/her principle obstacle to faith, but also because it exhibits several of the qualities that in the abstract, students think are signs of a reliable webpage:
    -It is a dot org.
    -Article is written by someone with a "Dr." as part of her name.
    -There are citations and footnotes.
    Etc.]
    Example #3) Wikipedia. [This was in response to a student question.]
    Example #4) A holocaust denial page, also with a dot org, written by someone with a "Dr." in front of his name, with citations. I somewhat shocked at least one student by using this as an example, but I honestly think that being able to explain and articulate how you can tell this page is unreliable is important. It turns out to be hosted by a white supremicist group.

-I made it through this class, but definitely felt a little lightheaded with all the standing up and moving over to the computer podium, then sitting, then standing, etc.

Ate a banana and 6 mini-Mrs. Fields cookies to keep myself going. (The doctor told me to try to eat more than usual the day after my hospitalization, so I did, and think I will continue to do so until I am back to good health. Oddly enough, I have lost 3 lbs. while doing so. This suggests to me that something is not right...and yes, I am planning to follow up with my regular doctor, just to make sure this is ONLY vasovagal syncope.)

10:20--GREAT WORKS II.
    ***Slightly over 1/3 of class missing due to stomach virus sweeping campus. And two people who are there have recently recovered from it. That means that out of 17 students, 8 of them either had or currently have the virus.***
    I talk about and hand back papers, but we decide to postpone discussion of Darwin until we have more healthy bodies in the room.

11:20--Pick up Child, who has a half day. Really not feeling great. Yes, I do find it concerning that less than 3 hours of work has exhausted me. I was running 6 miles at a go not long ago, and now I have the energy level of newborn?

11:45-2:15--2.5 hour nap.
    Feel somewhat better afterward!

Lunch.
    Check in with Husband.

Read Cornelia Funke's Reckless with Child.

Check in with Husband again.
    Dinner.
    Grocery store run, as Husband has said the one thing he would really like is more ginger ale. I bring Child with me and make her lift the sodas off the bottom shelf into the cart.

Husband goes to bed.
    Child and I watch the first half of "Dr. No."

Put Child to bed.
    Unwind.
    Put me to bed.
  9. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

I almost never get sick, so this current health crisis is coming as a real shock to me. I don't think I've missed a day for ill health in over a decade. (I have hurt my back twice, in December 2008 and December 2010, but both of those were over break, and a back injury isn't exactly an illness....) So if you don't mind, I'm going to think out loud, pending my visit to my doctor.

My theories about what is going on with me.
    1) It's psychosomatic. I'm anxious about fainting, so I hyperventilate and feel faint. If this is the case, then I should get better as the event fades into a distant memory.
    2) My body just needs time to spring back. I know I was running on fumes before this happened. Maybe it just is going to take awhile to get back to normal under those circumstances.

Now the less happy thoughts:
    3) Diabetes? Was checked in May 2011, and had a FBG of 83, with healthy being 70-99. I think they also did some kind of spot check in the hospital (they definitely did a finger stick), so not likely, but possible.
    4) Hypoglycemia?
    5) Hypothyroid? Again, was checked in May 2011. Read was 1.19, and anything between .3-3.0 is considered healthy. Nonetheless, I had been worrying about thyroid function even before this episode, as I seem to find it cold when no one else does. There is family history of this, and my Dad just told me that he thinks my Mom got her diagnosis when she was around my age. Terrific. (Note: I believe my Mom is hypo, but she is very thin, which normally goes with hyper.)
    6) Heart issue? We have a home blood pressure cuff, and my resting heart rate has been between 52-58 the whole time I've been home. That's a little brachycardic, even for me. (I believe I am typically 60-65.) My Dad has a pacemaker, though he didn't get it until much later in life than this.

Just thinking out loud....
  10. pygmalion

Oh ccm. I am so sorry you're going through this.

No comments, personal comments or unsought advice, except this. If you have good health insurance and some time, talk your doctor into getting you tested for everything you've thought of and everything else she can think of. The worst possible thing that can happen is that you'll get an early read-out on a long-term condition that might be far worse later. The best thing that can happen is that you'll find out you are over-tired and dehydrated (or something similar and relatively innocuous.) Either way, you'll know. Knowledge is power.

*lots of hugs*
  11. cornutt

CCM, although you do need to get checked, it does sound you have been burning the candle at both ends for the last few months, taking care of your DH and everything else. This may just be your body's way of telling you that you need rest. That may be effecting your mental state too. Hopefully, with your DH having gotten the surgery, that situation is on the way to being resolved.
    ChaChaMama likes this.
  12. fascination

yup...in addition to family being prone to fainting, could be low BP, low heart rate, low blood sugar, de-hydration, stress, peri-menopuase....I have found that having some sugar on hand and getting my head below my heart asap can often head it off if I feel it coming on
    ChaChaMama likes this.
  13. fascination

ccm this has happened to me many times, for a cocktail of those reasons
  14. pygmalion

Friday: To work, despite the fact that I'd taken a vacation day. Training class needed more time so, since I took half a day to get DS to the doctor the other day, I went in for half day Friday. Training was uneventful, mostly. Except I was planning to be there until 11:30. Class tells me they have a new schedule that says I'm there until 12;30. Fine. Whatever. These training schedules change every day, so I'm not surprised. I'll give up another hour of vacation because, honestly, the class needs it.

12:30. Go to brief the chick who's heading up training on what happened in class today and she [w]itches at me. Apparently, there was a new new schedule that she published on Wednesday 5:00 PM and emailed me. She didn't give the students a copy. She gave me a copy, in my work email, which I haven't accessed since Wednesday, because I've been on vacation. I was supposed to be done training at 11:30. I think, "Well. Ya know. Don't freaking get in my face for coming in on vacation to help you but not reading my one billion work emails. And oh btw, your administrative skills are for [poo.] email at 5:00 = non-communication, especially when you knew I was on vacation yesterday. And oh btw , if you were half as good as you think you are, the attrition rate wouldn't be so bad and we wouldn't need all these training classes. And, while we're at it, if you were a good trainer, you wouldn't be repeatedly asking me not to update training documents that any half-a-brain trainer knows have to be updated, as things change."

But do I say this? No. I just apologize, then plan to find even MORE pins for the voodoo doll I have of her under my bed. Just kidding!! I have to say, though, that, from an organizational perspective, there are few things more dangerous than a prideful person given free rein. No humility whatsoever, that one.

While I'm updating her, my boss stops by, and starts to give me an update on my project. There were a face to face meeting and conference call while I was gone. Blah. Blah. He interrupts himself when he remembers that I am on vacation and just there to be nice. Then he mutters something about getting out meeting minutes and how he's been inundated with my project lately. Uh huh. Take a walk in my shoes, sucker! You're inundated because I haven't been there to cover your butt. For. Two. Days.

Home earlier than I'd planned, because I really don't feel good. I've caught the cold that led to DS's bronchitis. I'm really hoping it stays at just a cold. Apparently, DS (who's still home from illness) is less than pleased with my unexpected appearance, but I don't care. You don't want my company? Take your butt to school. I am in a take no prisoners mood.

DF a little.

Dose DS up with antibiotics. Dose myself up with OTC medicine. Off to bed with me. No idea or care where DS went.

Wake up at roughly midnight. Oh crap! There's no way I'm going to sleep tonight. Then unexpected Zzzz. Slept until almost 7:00 AM. Feels good.
  15. fascination

sat...up at 7...drive to Niles, Mich to watch nephew's basketball game, take family to lunch for sister in law's birthday....visit with family more and play fitness games on xbox.....drive home, feed pets....df, fb, won't be up long
  16. cornutt

Please see a doctor soon... back when I had mine in November, I wasn't going to go to a doctor, but my DW talked me into it. They put me on antibiotics and steroids right away. They told me that they were seeing a lot of cases this winter turn into pneumonia and because of that they were treating new cases aggressively. I did in fact develop a touch of bronchitis that took about two weeks to totally shake off.
  17. pygmalion

If I'm not feeling better soon, I will. Trying to wait it out because all the doctor will do, if anything, is prescribe antibiotics, which I try to avoid, if I can. Doing my bit to prevent the rise of resistant bugs, and whatnot. :D

Thanks for the concern. :)

DS is mostly better today, though, only eight days after he came down with whatever it was that led to bronchitis. Poor kid now has a week of make-up work for school. *sigh*
  18. Peaches

Friday: work, house stuff, piddle, unsuccessful nap, dinner and then dancing with parents, crash and their house.

Saturday: up, grocery shopping, head to brother's/SIL's house, hang with SIL and baby, make mac&cheese and baked ziti for them and stick the fridge/freezer. Walk though woods with brother and talk, dinner, dance with niece*, talk late into night with brother. Crash.

Today: up, strip bed and wash sheets, make breakfast, fold and put away sheets, drive home, nap, watch movies with DH.

Niece hates to be still and is happiest when being walked around. SIl exhausted, brother exhausted. Good music on. AT while holding baby seemed to make her very happy. Which is to say, not screaming her damn fool head off. Anything for that result.
  19. pygmalion

BTDT. :) Except with random dancing to Bob Marley. I was really into reggae when I was pregnant. When DS was born, my dancing him around to UB40, Bob Marley and the Wailers, Gregory Isaacs, etc, could calm him in a flash.

People thought I was crazy, but I KNEW he heard that music in utero.
  20. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Watch Animal Planet "cuties" program,,,and see the most adorable small/short legged kittens/cats called munchkins...and nearly tried to find some of them..."nearly"...hold me back.
    DH got ready for D.C., son and D.H calls back and forth.
    Take a look at some ballroom sisters results in Las Vegas...FB them and congrats all around.
    Take a look at the snow melting fast at 55 degrees on top of the hill,,,decide to inform Dance Pro - uhhhh, you do not want to take a lesson in slush or bring out of town visitors...to water ski when they expect snow.
    It really is pretty warm.
    Countdown for a new baby of friend to arrive...she's obviously enjoying still swimming around instead of entrance to the world.
    Head out to DS new home..wow...note his awesome driveway that he himself did..."will have to steal his pavers" do you think he'll miss them?
    Alas, headed for sleep still thinkin about the munchkins....