yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Yes. I heard that the Midwest is getting blanketed with snow ... again.
  2. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

I'll take snow over rain, slush, and snow that turns to slush because the ground's not cold enough like it's been doing for two days...I thought I was going to be able to stay home and skate in the driveway. Weds: skate skate skate. I think my coaches in NH were probably right, I missed my calling dropping out because ISI group teachers couldn't teach me to skate backwards, figures probably would have been right up my monomaniacal alley.
  3. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

ohhh CCMM, no repeat performances of the scenario - take care of yourself!
  4. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

second that:)
  5. pygmalion

I wouldn't have had it be any other place. :)

I don't want to be overly sentimental, here, but I have to say that I appreciate the community, within this thread, so much. I make it a point to make my posts here substantive and/or supportive as much as I possibly can.

I appreciate you all. :)
  6. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

it is interesting how the thread has evolved...
  7. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

Thanks. I'm trying! In fact, today I took Husband to his doctor for post-op care, which is very important with sinus surgery. I told him I was going to stay in the car and wait for him rather than go in. I was afraid that being in a medical facility might trigger anxiety and make me pass out again.

I have no idea, of course, whether anxiety is what did me in last time, but I'm not taking chances.

I may head up to campus in a little bit, but if I do, I'm going to try to be in and out of the office in under 30 minutes and not to go near the restrooms. The norovirus-like illness has spread to some commuters--i.e., people who do not eat in the dining hall or sleep in the dorms. So it's definitely not just a dining hall problem. Every metal doorhandle, etc, is suspect until further notice, as far as I'm concerned.
    pygmalion and 3wishes like this.
  8. fascination

thurs...teach oldies class...visit with the ladies for a while, and enjoy the conversations that are unique to elders....home to many tasks around house including more post comp clean up and organizing, bills, laundry, pet care, cleaning kitchen, to schererville to pick up a trophy and a voucher...practice for a zumba event, download some music, soak in jacuzzi, cook dh a fine dinner....catch up with dh...cuddle...bed soon
  9. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Cancel gyro and reschedule to Thurs
    Manage to get swollen feet into shoes and go to Lesson, in which Teach and I go over competition stuff and actually dance a bit, after which we *both* feel better
    To HFKAM, to pack and ship stuff
    Home, crash
    Get phone call from DB#4, Teach is giving a class in Quickstep tonight, do I want to come? Back into car, back to studio, b/c I"m falling in love with Quickstep; class is fun
    Stop to see Blond German Friend, who is working in the bar next door to studio
    Home, Z
  10. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Lesson, in which Teach ramps up plans for the future
    Father cancels theater for tonight b/c he has bad back pain; TDNWMH
    Rolfer! Swoon!
    Home; cook; read; play with kitten; Z
  11. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

When do we get to see kitten pics?

The week, in (quasi-) brief:

NPC and programmer are in Cincy this week, so things at the office have been remarkably quiet. Much productivity. Mostly I've been playing with SAS and trying to get it to do what I want it to. Much fun, much learning. Also much frustration, but the good kind. What I'm redesigning will so seriously kick [butt] when I'm done with it!

Evenings = vegging, mostly. I've been mostly brain-dead after work this week. Tuesday saw friends in the evening, yesterday DH was gone on a business trip and I drank vodka and piddled online.

Z has been remarkably good lately, which is nice. Except waking up sucks. (Worst part of day: that moment of getting out of bed. Best part of day: that moment when I turn off the light and snuggle under the blankets with DH.)
    j_alexandra likes this.
  12. pygmalion

Wondering out loud, P. Feel free to ignore.

Is there a way for you to get promoted and still do the work that you love? It's so obvious from things you say that you LOVE much of what you do. Career mobility is important to you, but there are some things about your work that you just love. I would hate to see you promoted into doing something you love less.

And, btw, you will be getting promoted soon.

Just wondering. One of the companies I used to work for had two parallel career paths -- the "technical ladder" and the "management ladder." Most people started on the technical ladder. Some switched over to management, but many were able to stay on the technical ladder up through VP level or higher (until all our jobs were shipped overseas, but that's another story. lol)

But the point stands. At this company, you could be a highly paid, highly ranked, high-level techie person. There was no requirement that you ever become a manager in order to advance.

Wondering, rhetorically, if there's anything like that where you are. As much as I want to see you promoted, I would hate to see you promoted into a job where you get stuck in an office, doing employee evaluations for people who now get to do the work you love.

ETA: This is not to say that you would not be a good manager, just that you've expressed no interest in being a manager. You have, however, rhapsodized about SAS, spreadsheets, databases, etc. :D
  13. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Oh yes. We have the same thing. I am looking for promotion on the technical track. (To be fair, I'm not really looking at getting up the ladder--I have only one more rung before I'm at the absolute top. ). I have made it blatantly clear that there is no way I hell, be it frozen over it not, I will go into management. I have been approached, several times, and have politely told them to bugger off. I will deliberately stagnate (ladder/pay wise, not work wise) before I go into management.

P.S.--and I know I would be an absolutely terrible manager. Horrible. I do not have either the patience or the tact to deal with people, and I wouldn't be able to escape it. No way. Oddly, what got me noticed for potential management was my strong technical side...because our division is dumb enough to think that good technical people make good managers. Huge mistake. So I'm not offended by anyone suggesting that maybe dealing with people wouldn't be the best use of my talents.
  14. fascination

friday: teach a huge bike and bench usual, several informal meetings before I can get out the door...then off to hallmark to buy easter things for grandbaby and a b-day gift for sister and law...get emissions test on dh's car....PITA...home to practice for a zumba event in the evening and to take care of pets and clean house...nice chat with my aunt...back to the Y for zumba event...dh and I to bed early
  15. pygmalion

Easter things for grandbaby. That has a nice ring to it. :) We haven't seen pix of the cutie-pie, in a while, btw. Him with bunny ears on would be nice to see. Just saying. :D
  16. pygmalion

Hmm. I started so many responses to this, but they all sound intrusive, so I'll keep my trap shut.

I hear you on the tech people don't necessarily make good managers point, though. The worst manager I ever had was easily the most technically brilliant. Multiple graduate degrees. Years and years in a lab. Dozens of papers published in "the literature." Couldn't have a face to face conversation with an employee. Thank goodness that, when we all lost our jobs, he became a venture capitalist. No more need for face to face interaction, most of the time.
  17. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

My dad used to say, of a company that he worked for back in the day: "They take good engineers and turn them into mediocre managers."
    pygmalion likes this.
  18. ChaChaMama

Took it easy, with the exception of
    -Took Child to/from school.
    -Took Husband to post-op appointment. Stayed in car during appointment.
    -Grocery store.
    Also e-mailed MWF classes and students whose appointments got cancelled. Need to figure out how I'm going to get back on track.

Felt slightly worse this morning. By "slightly worse," I mean slightly lightheaded. Decided to try to go to work for 3 hours, but cancel afternoon meeting with first year team.
    8:25--Dropped Child at work.

9:10--ENG 1101. How to assess the value of websites. Can you use them in your research paper?
    ***Fully 1/3 of class missing due to stomach virus sweeping campus.***

Ones we looked at and discussed included:
    Example #1)
    [Yellow light. Can use, as long as aware it is an advocacy site and that assertions need to be double checked with less biased sources of info.]
    Example #2)
    [Note: This may be my favorite example ever, partially because I do not think I have ever met an atheist who cited the presence of unicorns in The Bible as his/her principle obstacle to faith, but also because it exhibits several of the qualities that in the abstract, students think are signs of a reliable webpage:
    -It is a dot org.
    -Article is written by someone with a "Dr." as part of her name.
    -There are citations and footnotes.
    Example #3) Wikipedia. [This was in response to a student question.]
    Example #4) A holocaust denial page, also with a dot org, written by someone with a "Dr." in front of his name, with citations. I somewhat shocked at least one student by using this as an example, but I honestly think that being able to explain and articulate how you can tell this page is unreliable is important. It turns out to be hosted by a white supremicist group.

-I made it through this class, but definitely felt a little lightheaded with all the standing up and moving over to the computer podium, then sitting, then standing, etc.

Ate a banana and 6 mini-Mrs. Fields cookies to keep myself going. (The doctor told me to try to eat more than usual the day after my hospitalization, so I did, and think I will continue to do so until I am back to good health. Oddly enough, I have lost 3 lbs. while doing so. This suggests to me that something is not right...and yes, I am planning to follow up with my regular doctor, just to make sure this is ONLY vasovagal syncope.)

10:20--GREAT WORKS II.
    ***Slightly over 1/3 of class missing due to stomach virus sweeping campus. And two people who are there have recently recovered from it. That means that out of 17 students, 8 of them either had or currently have the virus.***
    I talk about and hand back papers, but we decide to postpone discussion of Darwin until we have more healthy bodies in the room.

11:20--Pick up Child, who has a half day. Really not feeling great. Yes, I do find it concerning that less than 3 hours of work has exhausted me. I was running 6 miles at a go not long ago, and now I have the energy level of newborn?

11:45-2:15--2.5 hour nap.
    Feel somewhat better afterward!

Check in with Husband.

Read Cornelia Funke's Reckless with Child.

Check in with Husband again.
    Grocery store run, as Husband has said the one thing he would really like is more ginger ale. I bring Child with me and make her lift the sodas off the bottom shelf into the cart.

Husband goes to bed.
    Child and I watch the first half of "Dr. No."

Put Child to bed.
    Put me to bed.
  19. ChaChaMama

I almost never get sick, so this current health crisis is coming as a real shock to me. I don't think I've missed a day for ill health in over a decade. (I have hurt my back twice, in December 2008 and December 2010, but both of those were over break, and a back injury isn't exactly an illness....) So if you don't mind, I'm going to think out loud, pending my visit to my doctor.

My theories about what is going on with me.
    1) It's psychosomatic. I'm anxious about fainting, so I hyperventilate and feel faint. If this is the case, then I should get better as the event fades into a distant memory.
    2) My body just needs time to spring back. I know I was running on fumes before this happened. Maybe it just is going to take awhile to get back to normal under those circumstances.

Now the less happy thoughts:
    3) Diabetes? Was checked in May 2011, and had a FBG of 83, with healthy being 70-99. I think they also did some kind of spot check in the hospital (they definitely did a finger stick), so not likely, but possible.
    4) Hypoglycemia?
    5) Hypothyroid? Again, was checked in May 2011. Read was 1.19, and anything between .3-3.0 is considered healthy. Nonetheless, I had been worrying about thyroid function even before this episode, as I seem to find it cold when no one else does. There is family history of this, and my Dad just told me that he thinks my Mom got her diagnosis when she was around my age. Terrific. (Note: I believe my Mom is hypo, but she is very thin, which normally goes with hyper.)
    6) Heart issue? We have a home blood pressure cuff, and my resting heart rate has been between 52-58 the whole time I've been home. That's a little brachycardic, even for me. (I believe I am typically 60-65.) My Dad has a pacemaker, though he didn't get it until much later in life than this.

Just thinking out loud....
  20. pygmalion

Oh ccm. I am so sorry you're going through this.

No comments, personal comments or unsought advice, except this. If you have good health insurance and some time, talk your doctor into getting you tested for everything you've thought of and everything else she can think of. The worst possible thing that can happen is that you'll get an early read-out on a long-term condition that might be far worse later. The best thing that can happen is that you'll find out you are over-tired and dehydrated (or something similar and relatively innocuous.) Either way, you'll know. Knowledge is power.

*lots of hugs*