yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

sunday...lots of "get ready to go away" stuff on the to -do list as i am in indy today and tomo, then driving out to see grand baby after i teach on wed.....so there was pet care and bills and laundry and dishes to tend to....a long chat with a friend, vacuuming, jacuzzi, lovely dinner out with dh...and to bed early...not sure where the day went but it flew by
  2. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

3hrs of practice followed by.. a massage!!!!!!!!!:D
    Purr and j_alexandra like this.
  3. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

LOL. Everyone has their things...and in the end, IM (never having had a kid) O, the only things that matter are 1)is the kid healthy and cared for, and 2)does it work. My mom swears by singing and talking, my brother paces with her, I dance with her. What works, works.

I had a good time with my brother and SIL. I think my SIL gets that she can vent to me about my brother (because if anyone KNOWS how difficult he can be, it's me) without my holding it against her. I hope she does. I really enjoyed spending time with them, and hope to make it a more regular thing. (If nothing else, this baby makes me much more inclined to go and spend the day with them.) I try not to be a burden; I bring groceries (and Starbucks!), leave their fridge stocked with ready-to-be-heated food, take care of meals, do dishes and laundry, don't leave dirty sheets or towels to be washed, and don't need to be entertained. And try to have normal conversations with them. I hope it works for them...because I'm enjoying the extra time with them. Brother has said that SIL has said she enjoys it, and that he does too, because I'm low pressure. Good. Time to keep that up.

I had an interesting convo with SIL. She asked what I'd like niece (Brooke) to call me. Interesting. I've never been asked that before. I don't have a relationship with my other nieces and nephews (all six of them), for different reasons. The oldest girls call me Aunt Mickey...heh. I'm seriously debating Aunt Peaches; DH calls me that, and I use it online, and actually do answer to it in real life. It works for me. I shall have to ponder.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Today (because it's almost over):

Non-stop busy today. Oddly, no real pressure, because I tend to arrange my schedule so that I very rarely have immediately pressing deadlines. (As in, I tend to do the bulk of work on things 6-8 months in advance, and then just refine at the end. It works for me.) But still...I crossed a bunch of stuff off my To Do List...and added half again as much. Sigh.

It was gratifying, though. A new project that I'm working on (projections, which is right up my alley) is really starting to come together. I took an old process that used to take 4-5 days and had it reworked, made pretty, and documented inside of 4 hours. And discovered very significant errors in the process...which, when corrected, have the potential to make a significant affect on the Division's bottom line. (See what I did there? Quantifying my work and accomplishments! Go me!) Much fun. More SAS; I'm not entirely comfortable with it, but getting better...and I'm deliberately choosing assignments and methods that force me to use it and become more comfortable with it. And it's paying off, which is extremely gratifying.

I gotta say: I'm so incredibly happy with my work right now. Such a good feeling. Strange--I knew my attitude was out of line, and knew my attitude was half of what was making me unhappy, but I couldn't turn my attitude around enough to help myself. And then everything changed. And now I'm stupidly happy doing what I do again. Whatever...I'll take it. No looking this gift horse in the mouth.

Home. "Decompressing" has been difficult this evening, because I'm really fired up about work right now. In a stupid way, I can't wait for 6am tomorrow, when I get to go back to working on stuff.

Good god, I'm a dork. But I gotta be me! ;)
  4. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Hmm. IME, things evolve, when it comes to nieces and nephews, so choose wisely. My oldest nieces and nephews, who were born when I was in middle school, call me Jennifer or Jenn. My nieces and nephews (And OMG great-nieces) who were born when I was an adult are REQUIRED to "put a handle on it," aka call me something that implies more respect than just using my first name. Things evolved for me as I got older. My oldest nieces and nephews are more like peers/younger siblings. With the younger ones, I'm the Auntie with a capital AUNTIE. Make no mistake. lol.

I'm so glad you're enjoying your brother, SIL and baby Brooke. :)
  5. fascination

mon...teach a full class, food, drive to indy, lessons, food...bed soon
  6. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

LOL. Yeah, I'm not getting attached to anything. There's a story as to why the older ones cal me Aunt Mickey, there's a reason why the middle ones only call me [first name], and with Brooke and Charlotte (DH's sister's daughter, who is 5 months old)...well, I'm letting their parents take the lead in directing what they feel is appropriate.

Me too. I am enjoying getting to know my brother and SIL in this new stage of their life. I'm not sure yet about Brooke, but that's to be expected. It's exceedingly nice that my brother and SIL accept my limitations for what they are, and me for what I am, and don't pressure me one way or the other. Without the pressure it's much easier to do something like hold her and dance with her...and then give her back. ;)

Interesting, too, that I seem to have become something of a go-between for my parents and my brother/SIL. I'm not thrilled with this, but it does seem to be a necessary role.
  7. pygmalion

Families are weird, P. Everybody's family. Mine. Yours. Everybody's.
  8. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

SATURDAY:
    9 AM--Make-up appt. with a student I cancelled on back on Wednesday.
    12-1--Took Child to gymnastics, as Husband cannot.
    NAP.
    Read and comment on rough drafts of other students whose appts. I missed on Wednesday.
    Family movie night: Finish "Dr. No" and then watch "From Russia with Love."

SUNDAY:
    Mostly, a day of R+R.
    -Read a little of Will Self's Umbrella.
    -Read quite a bit of Cornelia Funke's Reckless with Child.
    -Grade 6 papers. :) I'm clearly feeling better if I feel well enough to do 3 hrs of grading.
    -Family movie night: "Thunderball."
    -Put Child to bed.
    -Graded 1 more paper before bed.
  9. pygmalion

Glad you're feeling better. :)
  10. ChaChaMama

Marathon MONDAY: There was some question in my mind whether I felt well enough to do my usual Monday thing, but decided I'd at least give it a try, what with it being my job....

Over breakfast: Grade 1 more paper.

9:10--ENG 1101. Debates about whether the drinking age should be lowered to 18, and about the college's drinking policies.

10:20--GREAT WORKS II. Selections from The Darwin Reader.

Lunch break. Made follow-up doctor's appt. Read Senior Sem drafts.

12:40-2:10--Appointments. 1st person is a no-show, again. I am standing around in ENG office with a colleague, talking about our Senior Semers. Feel a little lightheaded for the first time all day. Got back to office without it getting worse.

2:15-3:15--Office hrs. No one comes, so I handle some work e-mail. I also go down to the basement candy machine and get a bag of peanut M&Ms, after which I feel a little better.

Home. Rest in bed.
    Dinner, and a little research.

7:30-10--MODERN WORLD. Communist Manifesto.

So proud of self for surviving day!
    Purr and pygmalion like this.
  11. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Catching up:
    (highlights, mostly; most of the week is a post-competition blur)

Thurs: into city with Blond German Friend to buy fabric for a dress she's making me; home; then back into city with father for theater

Fri: dinner w/Samina!

Sat: theater, matinee, then movie night, watched The Age of Innocence, then the first episode of Firefly; the big-screen TV and Amazon Prime are a great combination, I heart amazon prime

Sun: baked sour cream pecan coffee cake, b/c y'know, I could;
    Dance shoe shopping, scored Latin shoes for the first time in years, why, I don't know, but I felt the need to buy them; also new court shoes, iffy quality but flexible soles, I do not like stiff court shoes
    <startrant>I loathe GPS, it got me lost in downtown Newark, which did not warm my heart; I AM SMARTER THAN GPS, I KNOW HOW TO READ A FREAKIN' MAP, I DON'T KNOW WHY I USE THE DAMN THING, IT ALWAYS GETS ME LOST<endrant>
  12. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Yesterday:

Ballet! Owie!
    Lesson, in which we go deep
    To House of Ex, for what I expect will be a 15-minute trip; 4 hours later, I am still in his company and ready to commit any kind of mayhem possible in order to get out of it
    Home
    Group class, which I have been shanghaied into b/c Teach says it will be "good for me" although it is Paso Doble and a just-shoot-me moment; I loathe PD; class turns out to be very useful, I hate it when Teach is right and my prejudices get blown to bits; however, still having dizziness issues, so, damn you, turns and spins!
    Home, Z
  13. pygmalion

I feel you on the GPS rant. Never have understood why people like the dang things. There was a chick a used to work with who honest-to-god would take longer to program her GPS than it took to drive to wherever. Just DRIVE.YOUR.CAR!! Made me crazy.

Re: Ex husbands. Yep. I've found that I'm much, much better off if I avoid the Ex completely. Blows my mind that I used to love him to the point of distraction. I would have gladly died for him and, in many ways, did. I think that's one of the hard parts about divorce that nobody tells you about. After the hurt/betrayal/abandonment/infidelity/growing apart/vitriol or whatever it was that led to the divorce, now you have to figure out what to do with all the things you used to feel. And worse yet, you have to figure out which things you still feel and What.In.The.Hell to do with them.

Sucks.
    j_alexandra likes this.
  14. fascination

ccm, I think this peanut m and m therapy is clearly what you need

as to GPS, love my onstar (90% of the time)
    j_alexandra and ChaChaMama like this.
  15. pygmalion

There's a reason why peanut M&Ms are the most popular candy in the chocolate basket on my desk. And no. I'm not making that up. Peanut M&Ms are the only candy I cannot keep "in stock" so to speak. No matter how many packets I put in the basket, they're all gone by the end of the day.
  16. pygmalion

Close second: Milk chocolate Reese's peanut butter cups. Third: Butterfinger.

I'm sensing a peanut and chocolate vibe, here. *grin*
  17. fascination

ccm...wrt the peanut m and ms....they are especially good for the hypoglycemic angle b/c they have the quick sugar and the protein
  18. pygmalion

Yeah. My GF (the one who's currently on medical leave from which I suspect she'll never return) would eat them, one at a time, throughout the day, to keep her blood sugar where it was supposed to be.

God I miss that girl! *sigh*
  19. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

i see someone bought the complete Bond blu ray edition well besides me that is LOL
  20. ChaChaMama

I'm really hoping that I don't have anything wrong with me, but I do have to say that some of the symptoms of hypoglycemia seem like a match...up to and including the fact that I have been eating extra food this week, not exercising, and not gaining weight. That is not how things have worked in my life up until this point.

Except...I'm pretty sure I haven't been hypoglycemic my whole life! I really feel like I would have noticed it before now. So maybe that's not it. Maybe my body is just taking its sweet time getting over a single incident of vasovagal syncope.

Amusing aside: My Dad commented that the doctor in the hospital seemed to think I was a little bit of a health nut. I got that vibe too. I mean, I think he thought it was a good thing, but he did seem a little amused.

The doctor asked me what I had for breakfast, and I answered a banana and a piece of whole wheat toast with 1 tablespoon of peanut butter. He later made a comment that someone who measures her peanut butter sounds like she is generally pretty conscientious about her health.

I'm just trying to imagine his reaction if I had had something more in-your-face healthy, like a live green smoothie!

His theory was very much that it was combo of the stress of Husband's surgery and that fact that at 9:15-9:30ish, it had been ~4 hours since I had had breakfast. He also recommended I try to eat a little more the next day to get back on an even keel. I think that is one of the only medical instructions I have ever liked!
    samina likes this.