yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Catching up:
    (highlights, mostly; most of the week is a post-competition blur)

Thurs: into city with Blond German Friend to buy fabric for a dress she's making me; home; then back into city with father for theater

Fri: dinner w/Samina!

Sat: theater, matinee, then movie night, watched The Age of Innocence, then the first episode of Firefly; the big-screen TV and Amazon Prime are a great combination, I heart amazon prime

Sun: baked sour cream pecan coffee cake, b/c y'know, I could;
    Dance shoe shopping, scored Latin shoes for the first time in years, why, I don't know, but I felt the need to buy them; also new court shoes, iffy quality but flexible soles, I do not like stiff court shoes
    <startrant>I loathe GPS, it got me lost in downtown Newark, which did not warm my heart; I AM SMARTER THAN GPS, I KNOW HOW TO READ A FREAKIN' MAP, I DON'T KNOW WHY I USE THE DAMN THING, IT ALWAYS GETS ME LOST<endrant>

2. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Yesterday:

Ballet! Owie!
    Lesson, in which we go deep
    To House of Ex, for what I expect will be a 15-minute trip; 4 hours later, I am still in his company and ready to commit any kind of mayhem possible in order to get out of it
    Home
    Group class, which I have been shanghaied into b/c Teach says it will be "good for me" although it is Paso Doble and a just-shoot-me moment; I loathe PD; class turns out to be very useful, I hate it when Teach is right and my prejudices get blown to bits; however, still having dizziness issues, so, damn you, turns and spins!
    Home, Z

3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I feel you on the GPS rant. Never have understood why people like the dang things. There was a chick a used to work with who honest-to-god would take longer to program her GPS than it took to drive to wherever. Just DRIVE.YOUR.CAR!! Made me crazy.

Re: Ex husbands. Yep. I've found that I'm much, much better off if I avoid the Ex completely. Blows my mind that I used to love him to the point of distraction. I would have gladly died for him and, in many ways, did. I think that's one of the hard parts about divorce that nobody tells you about. After the hurt/betrayal/abandonment/infidelity/growing apart/vitriol or whatever it was that led to the divorce, now you have to figure out what to do with all the things you used to feel. And worse yet, you have to figure out which things you still feel and What.In.The.Hell to do with them.

Sucks.

j_alexandra likes this.
  4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

ccm, I think this peanut m and m therapy is clearly what you need

as to GPS, love my onstar (90% of the time)

j_alexandra and ChaChaMama like this.
  5. pygmalion

There's a reason why peanut M&Ms are the most popular candy in the chocolate basket on my desk. And no. I'm not making that up. Peanut M&Ms are the only candy I cannot keep "in stock" so to speak. No matter how many packets I put in the basket, they're all gone by the end of the day.

6. pygmalion

Close second: Milk chocolate Reese's peanut butter cups. Third: Butterfinger.

I'm sensing a peanut and chocolate vibe, here. *grin*

7. fascination

ccm...wrt the peanut m and ms....they are especially good for the hypoglycemic angle b/c they have the quick sugar and the protein

8. pygmalion

Yeah. My GF (the one who's currently on medical leave from which I suspect she'll never return) would eat them, one at a time, throughout the day, to keep her blood sugar where it was supposed to be.

God I miss that girl! *sigh*

9. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

i see someone bought the complete Bond blu ray edition well besides me that is LOL

10. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

I'm really hoping that I don't have anything wrong with me, but I do have to say that some of the symptoms of hypoglycemia seem like a match...up to and including the fact that I have been eating extra food this week, not exercising, and not gaining weight. That is not how things have worked in my life up until this point.

Except...I'm pretty sure I haven't been hypoglycemic my whole life! I really feel like I would have noticed it before now. So maybe that's not it. Maybe my body is just taking its sweet time getting over a single incident of vasovagal syncope.

Amusing aside: My Dad commented that the doctor in the hospital seemed to think I was a little bit of a health nut. I got that vibe too. I mean, I think he thought it was a good thing, but he did seem a little amused.

The doctor asked me what I had for breakfast, and I answered a banana and a piece of whole wheat toast with 1 tablespoon of peanut butter. He later made a comment that someone who measures her peanut butter sounds like she is generally pretty conscientious about her health.

I'm just trying to imagine his reaction if I had had something more in-your-face healthy, like a live green smoothie!

His theory was very much that it was combo of the stress of Husband's surgery and that fact that at 9:15-9:30ish, it had been ~4 hours since I had had breakfast. He also recommended I try to eat a little more the next day to get back on an even keel. I think that is one of the only medical instructions I have ever liked!

samina likes this.
  11. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

That might have been a better value, but we have been getting them 1-by-1 off Amazon, I think! (I don't really know how to work the system. The technological expertise in our house is pretty much: #1--Husband, #2--10-year-old, #3--The cleverer of our two cats, #4--Me.)

Purr likes this.
  12. Mr 4 styles

spat coffee on that one !! LOL

yep its 150 including a space for skyfall

13. fascination

when I was at my worst with similar issues, all of which were somewhat different, there were many symptoms some of which were present sometimes or only one time, we went through the entire litany of possibilities; stress, de-hydration, low blood sugar, vaso vagal, peri menopause, low resting heart rate and bp or a combination of any of the above....my symptons were: (always) feel faint and somewhat disoriented and stressed, often accompanied by passing out and breaking a sweat... also nausea prior to passing out (sometimes a concern that I would have ...ahem...the poo-poos as well)...also once felt fluttering in the chest for a prolonged period ending after passing out, and also headache afterward....usually laying down and having a sugary beverage have helped....the vast majority of these incidents have occurred either in the morning, in extreme heat, during or after a workout, when I have not eaten recently, when I am pre-menstrual...in absence of gatorade, I have been known to take a low dose aspirin and have a glass of wine....I always lay down as soon as I feel it coming.....I have had every test under the sun and monitors, etc...but they are not able to get it to happen while monitoring so it is hard to say.....shrug

14. pygmalion

Oh. That is so hilarious. Reminds me of a friend, E,who, many moons ago (obviously) told me that she absolutely refused to learn to program her VCR. (I said it was years ago!) Bear in mind that this was an engineer in the throes of cutting edge technology development.

She said, "Look. My husband can figure out how to set the VCR. If I learn how, that'll just be one more thing I have to do."

Power to the people. Don't know how = don't have to. lol

15. pygmalion

Yep. Went through it last year.

As much of a pain as it is, at least I know. Some scary stuff. Some not so much. But at least I know.

16. pygmalion

Mr 4S is right. $150 for all 22 films. 150 bucks. Awesome deal, IMHO.

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  17. Mr 4 styles

WOOOHOO music to my ears LOL kidding

18. pygmalion

Today: Hover over DS, mostly. Back to the urgent care facility. They check him out but refuse to up his meds. Since last week, he has developed a weird sound in his lungs. They think it's pneumonia, but don't have an x-ray on site.

It's the ER tonight or his pediatrician in the morning. Unless a sudden crisis develops, I'm going to go with pediatrician in the morning. ERs are scary places. *sigh*

19. pygmalion

Stinker. When I was checking that out, I found several other DVD/BluRay collections I MUST have.

20. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

I've had similar symptoms as well, but never to the point of passing out. Dizzy, weak, disoriented, and having my breathing feel off, especially. For me, it's always blood sugar and/or dehydration. I've learned that eating badly one day wi result in the while next day feeling off. It happened last week, as a matter of fact. Hypoglycemia runs in my mother's side, so I grew up seeing the same symptoms in other people.

The only thing I find that helps get things back on track is plenty of water, some complex carbs (not many), and LOTS if protein. Shrug.